Options

Drug Testing

Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I guess this should go on MT, but I like AET better :)

For or against drug testing for employment of non-criminals?

Against (check)
There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,253
    I guess it depends on what the job is.
    Working with kids or operating heavy machinery or such, I'd have to say yes.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Against for both criminal and non-criminal.
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    For
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    Against for both criminal and non-criminal.
    Yep, I should clarify, thanks for bringing it up. I could see how my original post was a little confusing. I meant for criminals who are attending programs as part of sentence. In those cases I'm for drug testing. So, the better question:

Drug testing for employment - for or against?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Poncier wrote:
    I guess it depends on what the job is.
    and if you're a drug user or not.
  • Options
    Anyone have statistics for about 20 years on if drug testing has improved employee productivity and reduced cost?
  • Options
    elmer wrote:
    and if you're a drug user or not.
    Clearly you're going to see drug users answer "against" and non users answer "for"...this thread might as well ask "do you do drugs?"
  • Options
    Against testing for marijuana.

For testing of other substances.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Anyone have statistics for about 20 years on if drug testing has improved employee productivity and reduced cost?

it certainly reduces the cost of liability insurance which companies have to carry and pay
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

• Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Yep, I should clarify, thanks for bringing it up. I could see how my original post was a little confusing. I meant for criminals who are attending programs as part of sentence. In those cases I'm for drug testing. So, the better question:

Drug testing for employment - for or against?
    Yep, definitely against. If someone has a drug problem, it's usually very obvious. Drug tests can't really confirm that. All drug tests tell you is that someone has either done drugs recently or they haven't....or they eat lots of poppy seed bagels.
  • Options
    i am all for drug testing in the workplace...

pre-employment and random.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    Clearly you're going to see drug users answer "against" and non users answer "for"...this thread might as well ask "do you do drugs?"
    My blood is so clean my oldest sister already told me she would want my organs if she needed them. That's not the type of conversation a person has every day, eh?
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Poncier wrote:
    er yeah,haha.

The testing should be random and clearly certain professions have more need for it than others. I worked for a rail company and whilst there was no testing policy for contractors a blood test was required before they took anybody on.
    Are you considering Alcohol? I would think the amount some guy bladders the night before has relevance if he is a......cab driver.
  • Options
    Down to the job, but for most? Massive invasion of privacy. This country is slowly stripping the rights of all its citizens.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    Nope, I don't take any drugs and I'm STRONGLY against... it's one of THE worst invasions of privacy that your employer should have absolutely no right to.

If the drugs are affecting your performance as an employee, your boss will have more than enough reason to get rid of you... if they're not, well then they've no feckin need to know :)

I really don't understand how people can be for this kinda thing :o there is absolutely NO logic behind it.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    Nope, I don't take any drugs and I'm STRONGLY against... it's one of THE worst invasions of privacy that your employer should have absolutely no right to.

If the drugs are affecting your performance as an employee, your boss will have more than enough reason to get rid of you... if they're not, well then they've no feckin need to know :)

I really don't understand how people can be for this kinda thing :o there is absolutely NO logic behind it.

In my line of work, pre employment drug testing helps prevent me and my fellow employees from being hurt, maimed or killed while on the job.

I would suspect the same is true in Speedy's line of work.

Admin

• Options
    chromiam wrote:
    In my line of work, pre employment drug testing helps prevent me and my fellow employees from being hurt, maimed or killed while on the job.

I would suspect the same is true in Speedy's line of work.
    Exactly...and would anyone want to send their kids to a day care where the employees are possibly on drugs, putting the children at risk?
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    Exactly...and would anyone want to send their kids to a day care where the employees are possibly on drugs, putting the children at risk?
    how are the kids at risk if the employees aren't ON drugs during the working hours? :confused:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    how are the kids at risk if the employees aren't ON drugs during the working hours? :confused:
    How do you know that if they aren't tested?
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    quit thinking logically........
  • Options
    I know, its frowned upon here.
    Hehehe
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    For
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    How do you know that if they aren't tested?
    well if you're doing your job properly as a boss, you'd know your employees aren't on drugs during working hours :rolleyes: maybe search them on the way INTO work? Would that make ya feel better?

See it's all you 'logical' thinkers that will have all of us searched, drug tested and whatever else... I'll pee in the toilet not a fucking cup!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    I know you like to make it seem like it's beyond you to have an adult debate and discussion on anything... but can't you at least TRY for once? :cool:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    I know you like to make it seem like it's beyond you to have an adult debate and discussion on anything... but can't you at least TRY for once? :cool:
    go find someone else to insult today helen......
  • Options
    well if you're doing your job properly as a boss, you'd know your employees aren't on drugs during working hours :rolleyes:
    Tell me honsetly that you can tell someone is on drugs just by looking at them. In obvious instances yes, but by no means in many cases. So lets say a caregiver has smoked a fat doob on the way to work at the Thai Stick Day Care and their reaction time is just a little slow, and baby Seamus falls into the kiddie pool while they are eating some Hohos and by the time they think about the situation and react, baby Seamus has drowned.
    Not good for baby Seamus' parents.
  • Options
    go find someone else to insult today helen......
    :confused: I don't recall insulting you before but you too often just post a 'smart' comment in response putting the person down who's only trying to have an actual debate on the topic. If ya can't take it...... cos god knows ya GIVE it often enough :rolleyes:

Anyway I'm not going off topic. If you've a problem pm me.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    :confused: I don't recall insulting you before but you too often just post a 'smart' comment in response putting the person down who's only trying to have an actual debate on the topic. If ya can't take it...... cos god knows ya GIVE it often enough :rolleyes:

Anyway I'm not going off topic. If you've a problem pm me.
    go find someone else to insult today helen.....
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    Tell me honsetly that you can tell someone is on drugs just by looking at them. In obvious instances yes, but by no means in many cases. So lets say a caregiver has smoked a fat doob on the way to work at the Thai Stick Day Care and their reaction time is just a little slow, and baby Seamus falls into the kiddie pool while they are eating some Hohos and by the time they think about the situation and react, baby Seamus has drowned.

or insert chemical operator for caregiver and they misread a chemical name and then cause toxic fuses or an explosion to occur.... not good for me or people within miles of the plant.

Admin

• Options
    Poncier wrote:
    well there would be more than one employee responsible for the kids... and yes, you CAN tell by looking at someone. I've lived with my fair share of stoners.

I know a few people working with delinquent kids who can only get through the day by smoking when they come home to chill out. These people get threatened and abused on a daily basis, sometimes several times a day... who's gonna tell them they can't smoke a spliff when they get home?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life