Going to a concert alone...

2»

Comments

• WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    bovy_j wrote:
    Wow! I didn't realize so many people went to shows alone! I was always scared. That's why I missed out on the 2006 tour...nobody wanted to travel to Toronto or Boston. I guess I'm going to think of all the pit members who go to shows alone and then say fuck the people that don't want to go!

Nothing to be scared of....if it's music you like, you'll find people you have something in common with! Lots of fan club members at PJ shows too. I've met so many people because of this board and PJ.

Go it alone, you got it, so it goes!!
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    I like going alone. I always meet people... so, I'm not really alone.
    And i got tired of flakey friends who said they'd go... but, flake out the day of the show. I got tired of looking to sell the extra ticket outside the venue and taking a loss in the deal. I like the fact that if I wan to stay... I stay, if I want to leave, I leave. There is nothing worse than going with someone who wants to 'Get a jump on traffic' and wants to leave before the end of the show. And as it turns out... I have probably met more people by going to the shows alone.. than going with someone.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I would never miss a concert b/c I have nobody to go with. You will meet people there and when the music starts you won't care. I would rather go by myself than with someone that will be bored the whole time. And yes I have been to shows by myself.
  • satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,412
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    I would never miss a concert b/c I have nobody to go with. You will meet people there and when the music starts you won't care. I would rather go by myself than with someone that will be bored the whole time. And yes I have been to shows by myself.

I wholeheartedly agree!!!!
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016, 2024
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022, 2023
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    Baltimore- 2024
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016 (night 2) , 2024 (night1)
    East Rutherford, New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - Lollapalooza 2007
    Seattle- Gorge 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • I haven't had to go to a show alone yet, but i'd do it. BTW right on with your Editors show! Never seen them live but would love to! Give us a post and let us know how it was.
    OBAMA BABY
  • zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    most of my group of friends have grown up and turned into domesticated, boring things, who wouldnt step out on their front lawn to watch a cover band let along drive down to sydney to watch a decent show - or god forbid! tent it or sleep in the backseat at splendour!!!

they always thought i was weird for how much i liked it when we were yonger, and now they just think im a tragic freak. The feelings perfectly mutual btw....

but, i have to say ive missed out on going to a lot of shows i would have liked to have seen because i still cant bring myself to go by myself. i probably should - ive met heaps of great people just thru pearl jam alone, and next tour i wouldnt worry a bit about going it alone to see them. But i wont have to - i do have a pj fanatic to drag with me

but other bands ... *sigh*
    impatience is a gift ........
  • ladygooddivaladygooddiva Posts: 4,169
    well in my rockin days:D I mostley went alone to concerts
    and i met lots of people and sometimes i met the same peoples
    so it was fun
    but i also had lots of concerts goin with my formely friend ...
    so you deside
    and by the way i went with my babe to a concert and i did not have the fun
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    TrAvELAr wrote:
    Not a big problem, but not as enjoyable.

I agree with that.

+2
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Some of the best times I've had at concerts are when I've gone alone! Imo much better than taking someone who's meh about the band. Also, it helps if it's got some type of tailgating environment so you can meet new people. I've made tons of friends by going to shows solo, and now I've got concert buddies for most of my fave bands 8-)
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    i did it once, it was awesome, no wife to worry about just me getting to rocking out, now how to ditch her next time :think:
  • I'm about 97% sure I'm seeing APC by myself... the cousin may join me.
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    I won't hesitate to go to a show by myself for several reasons. One of those reasons is that it's usually pretty easy to get a good seat when you buy a single ticket. I did this for Radiohead in June. Best pairs I could find without paying scalpers' fees were really shitty so I just went alone.

Sometimes I'll even go with a group but I'll buy myself just the one seat and sit apart from them.

Another reason is that I'm really tired of buying tickets for a group only to have people back out on me the day of the show.

Then there's the whole "I'm a fan but nobody I know really is" thing.
  • used to go alone at a pj show...well,now is impossible..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”