Going to a concert alone...

smg9779smg9779 Posts: 235
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone have any qualms? Just bought a single ticket for the Editors in SF for Feb. 8th. My girlfriend almost decided to go just so I wouldn't be alone but I talked her out of it, she wouldn't enjoy it anyways.
Steve

11/18/97 Oakland
07/13/98 Los Angeles
07/14/98 Los Angeles
10/31/99 Bridge School
10/28/00 San Bernardino
10/31/00 Mountain View
10/21/01 Bridge School
06/01/03 Mountain View
07/15/06 SF I
07/16/06 SF II
07/18/06 SF III
10/21/06 Bridge School
04/07/08 Berkeley
04/08/08 Berkeley
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    smg9779 wrote:
    Anyone have any qualms? Just bought a single ticket for the Editors in SF for Feb. 8th. My girlfriend almost decided to go just so I wouldn't be alone but I talked her out of it, she wouldn't enjoy it anyways.

I'm fine either way. If it's reserved I prefer going with someone, but if it's GA I'd rather go alone so that I don't have to worry about my gf getting knocked around.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Went to the DC '03 show alone - had 4 tix, but my friends dicked out on me at the last minute. So I went to the lawn, and offered 3 tix to a group of 3 for free. They bought me beers for the night (even though I was underage) :D So it worked out pretty well...
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,385
    I moved here to the big city a few years ago and I don't really have any concert friends. I've gone to quite a few shows alone. Not a big problem, but not as enjoyable.
  • TrAvELAr wrote:
    Not a big problem, but not as enjoyable.

I agree with that.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    i've been to 3 pj shows alone. well, not alone, there were 16,000 other people there at each show, but i didn't know anyone.
    I love to turn you on
  • if I didn't go to shows alone, I would pretty much never go to shows.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,204
    whoa :eek: never had to so far i've allways had a few friends to go with and now i know i can count on someone from here attending future shows with me specially PJ shows ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    It's better to have good company, but I've been to shows by myself that I truly cared about and never regretted it.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    I've gone to to almost half of my 57 Pearl Jam shows alone...and loved them all!

Even my first Pearl Jam show. It was New Years Eve...and I had a choice....hang out with the same people I do every day...or go see Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam won hands down....and I have never been the same! ;)
  • StellyStelly Posts: 170
    I go to a fair amount of shows alone. My wife isn't big into concerts (asthma + smoking = BAD!!), so I will very often go alone.
    8/22/98 - Toronto
    8/26/98 - Cleveland
    10/7/00 - Detroit
    4/25/03 - Cleveland
    6/23/06 - Pittsburgh
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Wow! I didn't realize so many people went to shows alone! I was always scared. That's why I missed out on the 2006 tour...nobody wanted to travel to Toronto or Boston. I guess I'm going to think of all the pit members who go to shows alone and then say fuck the people that don't want to go!
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    bovy_j wrote:
    Wow! I didn't realize so many people went to shows alone! I was always scared. That's why I missed out on the 2006 tour...nobody wanted to travel to Toronto or Boston. I guess I'm going to think of all the pit members who go to shows alone and then say fuck the people that don't want to go!
    Another great thing about going to a PJ show alone is that a lot of fan club members with a far lower number than I have will have single tickets available. I got amazing seats for both nights of East Rutherford. Come to think of it, night two I got two great seats, but night 1 was a single ticket. Either way, it works wonders!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • bovy_j wrote:

what is there to be scared of?
  • i went to Wolfmother in Boston at the end of April and me and my friend got separtated the whole show so, does that count??
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    I saw Bryan Ferry on my own waaaaay back in 1988/89. 4th row floor, aisle. Awesome seat...the show was OK...he danced like somebody's dad making fun of the way his kids dance...it was the Bete Noir tour...or maybe the Boys and Girls tour...I don't remember. Flames, background singers, bad dancing.

And I saw Robert Plant alone - my brother had a ticket, and I didn't see him until after the show...and I never did find my seat. Sat on the stairs by the stage...very cool...Awesome show! yes, that was the Now and Zen tour...
    be philanthropic
    what is there to be scared of?

Nothing really! haha
    I just...I didn't think many did!
    This is like...great to hear! I'm not afraid of hittin' a PJ concert alone anymore...who knows...maybe I'll meet some of the great people from the Pit!
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Another great thing about going to a PJ show alone is that a lot of fan club members with a far lower number than I have will have single tickets available. I got amazing seats for both nights of East Rutherford. Come to think of it, night two I got two great seats, but night 1 was a single ticket. Either way, it works wonders!

That sounds so stellar!!
    My opinion here is just completely changed! Thanks guys/gals!
    I'd absolutely looove to be a little closer to PJ. Plus yeah...with the point brought up with 10Club members havin an extra ticket? It'd be sweet to meet some other PJ fans.
  • rockpantsrockpants Posts: 838
    I actually prefer to go alone now. Going with other people means constant compromising on what you want to do (ie/ one person wants to get a good spot near the stage, the other person wants to get drinks and wander around). There's more freedom in the solitude amongst hundreds or thousands of others.
  • smg9779 wrote:

Be honest, you just wanted a chance to troll for chicks unimpeded.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • I saw Bryan Ferry on my own waaaaay back in 1988/89. 4th row floor, aisle. Awesome seat...the show was OK...he danced like somebody's dad making fun of the way his kids dance...it was the Bete Noir tour...or maybe the Boys and Girls tour...I don't remember. Flames, background singers, bad dancing.

And I saw Robert Plant alone - my brother had a ticket, and I didn't see him until after the show...and I never did find my seat. Sat on the stairs by the stage...very cool...Awesome show! yes, that was the Now and Zen tour...

Dude, you're old....lol. I haven't thought about Now and Zen in a long time.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    rockpants wrote:
    I actually prefer to go alone now. Going with other people means constant compromising on what you want to do (ie/ one person wants to get a good spot near the stage, the other person wants to get drinks and wander around). There's more freedom in the solitude amongst hundreds or thousands of others.

i totally agree! i have yet to go to a show alone but i usually split up with people once im there cos if i wana go up front, im fucking going up front! im going to start going to shows on my own because waiting for/trying to convince friends to go see bands they dont know or want to see can just lead to missing the show, which sucks...

problem solved by just buying a ticket and going. cuts out all the bullshit
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    I just saw Neil Young and I was by myself. It was the greatest.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• a5pja5pj Posts: 3,881
    gone to a couple alone, only thing that sucks about it is waiting beforehand, but you can usually find someone to talk to, and I've met a couple cool people that way. Once the music starts it doesnt matter anymore. And if i do go with someone that wants to do something else i usually just meet them afterwards.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i see no problem with it all... done it loads of times... the people who rip the piss out of us are the kinda guys who visit brothels so they can have sex at least once... and i bet then they even go together so they can hold each others hands and shout "you're the man" whilst they catch rabies. :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • smg9779smg9779 Posts: 235
    Be honest, you just wanted a chance to troll for chicks unimpeded.

You got me.
    Steve

11/18/97 Oakland
    07/13/98 Los Angeles
    07/14/98 Los Angeles
    10/31/99 Bridge School
    10/28/00 San Bernardino
    10/31/00 Mountain View
    10/21/01 Bridge School
    06/01/03 Mountain View
    07/15/06 SF I
    07/16/06 SF II
    07/18/06 SF III
    10/21/06 Bridge School
    04/07/08 Berkeley
    04/08/08 Berkeley
  • satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,412
    I flew out to chicago for lollapalooza alone,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then met up with some friends and partied my face off!!!!!

sbb

ps. Just scored a Klausen - DC...hahaha
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016, 2024
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022, 2023
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    Baltimore- 2024
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016 (night 2) , 2024 (night1)
    East Rutherford, New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - Lollapalooza 2007
    Seattle- Gorge 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    smg9779 wrote:

Editors are fucking worth it.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• I have met some really awesome people at Pearl Jam shows. It is definitely better to go alone than it is to go with someone who doesn't really like the band.

Enjoy the music!
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    Dude, you're old....lol. I haven't thought about Now and Zen in a long time.

That's funny. "White, Clean, and Neat" came on my ipod on shuffle last night when I was walking my dog. I haven't heard that song in years and I was digging it.

Back on subject: I have gone to Pearl Jam 2000 Sac alone, Bridge School 06 alone, and PJ 06 SF Night 3 alone. Probably others but that's all I can think of right now.

I am debating if I will see Springsteen when he comes to Sac in April, and if I do I will go alone. (My wife went with me in October to see him in Oakland).

I would rather go by myself than worry if someone is having a good time, if they aren't into the band.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    I'm a woman, and I've been to many shows located hours out of town by myself. If you don't go to this show, I claim the right to label you a pansy. :)
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"