No Oscar Nomination for Guaranteed

13»

Comments

• Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Someone tell the "new" Daniel Day Lewis that shouting does not an actor make. Dial it down already.
    someone should also tell him to take "silly mustaches" off his contract rider
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • This was a total snub. How in the fuck can the Academy NOT acknowledge Eddie's music for 'Into The Wild'?
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • inmytree1380inmytree1380 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Posts: 155
    Eddie was snubbed...plain and simple. There are no other words for it. To tell you the truth, the entire movie was snubbed. Emile should have gotten a best acting nod, Catherine Keener should have gotten a best supporting actress nod, and there should have been a best picture nod.

And I'm sorry to disagree with some of you, but Daniel Day Lewis' acting job was incredible. Granted, he did look somewhat like Bill the Butcher from "Gangs of New York," but he was that movie. Very incredible movie and a very deserving best actor nod.
    2000: Pittsburgh
    2003: Pittsburgh
    2004: Toledo
    2005: Pittsburgh
    2006: Cleveland, Pittsburgh
    2008: D.C.
    2009: Toronto, Philly IV
    2010: Cleveland
    2011: East Troy I & II
    2013: Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Baltimore
    2014: Austin I
    2016: Fort Lauderdale, Hampton, Philly II, Chicago II
  • The brutalist three that I can remember:
    LA Confidnetial losing to Titanic in 1998
    Shawshank Redemption losing to Forrest Gump in 1994
    Goodfellas losing to Dances with Wolves in 1991

Not to mention Master and Commander losing to The Lord of the Rings in 2004.

Eddie not getting nominated does not even come close to that level of shafting.

agree with LA COnfidential, kinda agree with 94 but i think Pulp Fiction should have won and yeah forgot about 91 what a sham and 2004, meh im a huge LOTR fan (books) so i was happy cuz i love the movies but MAC is a brilliant film still.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Someone tell the "new" Daniel Day Lewis that shouting does not an actor make. Dial it down already.

youre crazy!! brody was great in the pianist but DDL dominates everything he is in. Its called method acting.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Eddie was snubbed...plain and simple. There are no other words for it. To tell you the truth, the entire movie was snubbed. Emile should have gotten a best acting nod, Catherine Keener should have gotten a best supporting actress nod, and there should have been a best picture nod.

And I'm sorry to disagree with some of you, but Daniel Day Lewis' acting job was incredible. Granted, he did look somewhat like Bill the Butcher from "Gangs of New York," but he was that movie. Very incredible movie and a very deserving best actor nod.

i dont know emile hirsch was amazing and showed he can carry an emotional film practically by himself but best actor ??? cathrine keener youre right probably deserved one, best picture ?? dunno too many holes i think.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • youre crazy!! brody was great in the pianist but DDL dominates everything he is in. Its called method acting.

I know what it's called. I'm an actor as well. Method acting is fine when it's done well (i.e. Brando, Clift, Dean, etc.) but I don't think it always serves him well. I loved him in his early work (A Room With A View, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, The Age of Innocence) but he's just gone over into Al Pacino territory now where he seems to equate chewing the scenery as great acting. I couldn't disagree more. I'd much rather see a quiet, nuanced performance than have someone hit me over the head with it.
  • HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Shakespeare in Love beat The Thing Red Line, La Vita e Bella, Saving Private Ryan and Elizabeth

Chicago beat Gangs of New York and The Pianist

LOTR beat Lost In Translation, Master and Commander and
    Mystic River

Eternal Sunshine not getting either a film or direction nom.

Crash beating:
    Brokeback Mountain, Good Night and Good Luck, Capote and Munich

So, why do people put so much value in an Oscar? I understand people feeling bad cos it means one less Ed performance on tv, but does that little statue really mean that much?
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • oh buddy dont even get me started .....

the english patient is a better movie than fargo??!?!?!?!?!?!?!

adrain brody was better in the pianist than daniel day lewis in gangs of new york ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

million dollar baby is a better movie than the aviator?!?!?!?!? VOMIT!!!!

clint eastwood has more best director oscars than scorsese?!?!?!?!? VOMIT!!!

and those are all just recently ....

kramer vs fucking kramer?!?!!?!?!?!?!?
    Tom Hanks was better in Philadelphia than Daniel Day Lewis in In the Name of the Father???? My arse! :mad:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Hinny wrote:
    Shakespeare in Love beat The Thing Red Line, La Vita e Bella, Saving Private Ryan and Elizabeth

Chicago beat Gangs of New York and The Pianist

LOTR beat Lost In Translation, Master and Commander and
    Mystic River

Eternal Sunshine not getting either a film or direction nom.

Crash beating:
    Brokeback Mountain, Good Night and Good Luck, Capote and Munich

So, why do people put so much value in an Oscar? I understand people feeling bad cos it means one less Ed performance on tv, but does that little statue really mean that much?
    Crash was amazing... I've only seen Munich out of the other 4 but Crash is one of my favourite films.

This is ridiculous nominating... but it's looking good for Glen :) I still think falling slowly is MUCH better than guaranteed. Never understood why Rise wasn't been pushed more than Guaranteed anyway :confused:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    i dont know emile hirsch was amazing and showed he can carry an emotional film practically by himself but best actor ??? cathrine keener youre right probably deserved one, best picture ?? dunno too many holes i think.

I love this movie but I didnt think it was Best Picture material, I didn't think The Oscars would give it recognition for best film. Like I said I love the movie and I pre-ordered the DVD and am anxiously waiting :D but I feel that had I not read the book I would have been a little outta the loop.

Emile Hirsh was great in that movie and I think his performance deserved a nod..IMO (and in these cases I think its all about opinions) :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • I know what it's called. I'm an actor as well. Method acting is fine when it's done well (i.e. Brando, Clift, Dean, etc.) but I don't think it always serves him well. I loved him in his early work (A Room With A View, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, The Age of Innocence) but he's just gone over into Al Pacino territory now where he seems to equate chewing the scenery as great acting. I couldn't disagree more. I'd much rather see a quiet, nuanced performance than have someone hit me over the head with it.

fair enough but the role doesnt call for a quiet, nuanced performance, it calls for a frightening, intimidating performance which DDL has shown he is the best at these days with these 2 movies(blood and gangs), i think hes more interested nowadays in playing characters that he hasnt really played before, bad, mean scary guys. I dont think hes interested in playing those roles he did earlier in his career, Im not taking away anything from his performances in said movies I just love the range he is showing now, his character in blood had tons of depth, he didnt just "hit you over the head" with it.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • fair enough but the role doesnt call for a quiet, nuanced performance, it calls for a frightening, intimidating performance which DDL has shown he is the best at these days with these 2 movies(blood and gangs), i think hes more interested nowadays in playing characters that he hasnt really played before, bad, mean scary guys. I dont think hes interested in playing those roles he did earlier in his career, Im not taking away anything from his performances in said movies I just love the range he is showing now, his character in blood had tons of depth, he didnt just "hit you over the head" with it.

I think you can be scary & intimidating w/out having to go over-the-top. Anyone see Bardem this year? That was the scariest performance of the year IMO & he internalized so much of his emotion. I give Daniel Day Lewis credit for trying new things & wanting to play different types of roles, I just think his performances were borderline ridiculous in Gangs & (most of) Blood. They're definitely not what you'd call naturalistic performances & I just couldn't help shake the feeling when I was watching both films that I was watching someone act. And honestly? That's the worst thing you could say to an actor!

I guess this is why some people find awards so silly. I mean, obviously we have VASTLY different opinions regarding this one performance, not to mention the fact that I've strongly disagreed with other opinions in this thread as well (I was thrilled Chicago beat Gangs for Best Picture; I was mortified that Crash, one of the worst films I saw that year, beat Brokeback Mt) I guess it is rather silly to judge or award something as subjective as art.
  • I think you can be scary & intimidating w/out having to go over-the-top. Anyone see Bardem this year? That was the scariest performance of the year IMO & he internalized so much of his emotion. I give Daniel Day Lewis credit for trying new things & wanting to play different types of roles, I just think his performances were borderline ridiculous in Gangs & (most of) Blood. They're definitely not what you'd call naturalistic performances & I just couldn't help shake the feeling when I was watching both films that I was watching someone act. And honestly? That's the worst thing you could say to an actor!

I guess this is why some people find awards so silly. I mean, obviously we have VASTLY different opinions regarding this one performance, not to mention the fact that I've strongly disagreed with other opinions in this thread as well (I was thrilled Chicago beat Gangs for Best Picture; I was mortified that Crash, one of the worst films I saw that year, beat Brokeback Mt) I guess it is rather silly to judge or award something as subjective as art.

Yeah exactly right it's all subjective and who are we to judge "art" its just one of those scenarios where you have to agree to disagree, I found DDL performances in both those movies captivating and frightening, in Gangs i had trouble taking my eyes off him when hes onscreen, i think Crash is one of those movies that its impossible not to be talk about after you see , whether you had good or bad things to say about it (i loved it) and that means they did something right, same with Brokeback Mt which i thought was brilliantly acted and had stunning scenery and cinematography (yay canada!) but i felt was really really pretentious in that it was controversial for the sake of garnering attention especially by critics and the academy, basically ang lee saying look at me i can do a gay cowboy movie, give me an oscar!

Im sure that we probably disagree on these things but would find a lot of common ground on other things and thats the beauty of art

and yeah i thought javier bardem was sooooo creepy but my wife thought he(and NCFOM) was nothing out of the ordinary, so its all subjective.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    Pegasus wrote:
    I can bet the Oscar organisers are not happy that Ed and Johnny didn't get nominated because they would have brought extra audience that doesn't normally watch (us basically..well, I do normally watch except I gave up last year trying, after 20 years of staying up all night, to jump though hoops to do so as I don't have nor need nor want Sky..)

as for the voters, I've no idea who actually votes for the Songs category nominations (for Score it's film composers..maybe they vote for songs too but since those 2 worlds are not really compatible..that'd explain)...but it's ALWAYS boring and soppy!
    I was actually very surprised with last year's win...well, it being nominated..the rest of the academy jumped on the first song in at least 20 years to be vaguely original so it won..

I totally agree,movies is one thing and music is another so who the hell votes for songs in the oscar? the academy members??? its weird and it sucks, I really like the oscars cause the movies is my favorite hobbie besides soccer.
  • here is an article on oscar snubs, no mention of Ed but lots of love for Into the Wild.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/oscars2008/snubs?GT1=7701&
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    I think you can be scary & intimidating w/out having to go over-the-top. Anyone see Bardem this year? That was the scariest performance of the year IMO & he internalized so much of his emotion. I give Daniel Day Lewis credit for trying new things & wanting to play different types of roles, I just think his performances were borderline ridiculous in Gangs & (most of) Blood. They're definitely not what you'd call naturalistic performances & I just couldn't help shake the feeling when I was watching both films that I was watching someone act. And honestly? That's the worst thing you could say to an actor!

CRASH is one of the worst movies I've seen ever!!!! its ridiculous and very bad acted.
  • VOLITIONVOLITION Posts: 328
    How the fuck could Ed of been over looked after winning a Golden Globe?

Enchanted?? What a joke
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV