No Oscar Nomination for Guaranteed

Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
edited January 2008 in The Porch
I happened to stop on CNN a few minutes ago and they were broadcasting the Oscars nominations live, while they didnt mention the Best Original Song, I looked it up on Oscar.com and the nominees for both Achievement in Music (Original Song and Score) did not have any nominations for Into the Wild. :(
Under best original song they have 3 nominations for Enchanted, Once and August Rush.

I was kind of disappointed as I thought Ed would definately get an Oscar nomination for this song.

Im confused though... they nominated 3 songs from the same movie? Does that ever happen? (not big fan of award shows, so not very familiar with them)...
"Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    :(
    wah
  • Be SoundBe Sound Posts: 199
    I saw this too, and was quite confused. Kinda sad he didn't get the recognition...
    Don't it make you smile
  • I happened to stop on CNN a few minutes ago and they were broadcasting the Oscars nominations live, while they didnt mention the Best Original Song, I looked it up on Oscar.com and the nominees for both Achievement in Music (Original Song and Score) did not have any nominations for Into the Wild. :(
    Under best original song they have 3 nominations for Enchanted, Once and August Rush.

I was kind of disappointed as I thought Ed would definately get an Oscar nomination for this song.

Im confused though... they nominated 3 songs from the same movie? Does that ever happen? (not big fan of award shows, so not very familiar with them)...

i was just looking at the same thing...
    3 songs from the same movie? huh?
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Into The Wild, There Will Be Blood, and Enchanted are ineligible for original score for some reason.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    As far as i can tell the movie got 2 noms. Hal Holbrook getting the major one. Best supporting actor.
    I miss igotid88
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    i was just looking at the same thing...
    3 songs from the same movie? huh?

Yeah.

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)
    "Atonement"
    "The Kite Runner"
    "Michael Clayton"
    "Ratatouille"
    "3:10 to Yuma"

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)
    "Falling Slowly" from "Once"
    "Happy Working Song" from "Enchanted"
    "Raise It Up" from "August Rush"
    "So Close" from "Enchanted"
    "That's How You Know" from "Enchanted"

This is what their website says, it's so retarded though to nominate 3 songs from the same movie :rolleyes:
    igotid88 wrote:
    As far as i can tell the movie got 2 noms. Hal Holbrook getting the major one. Best supporting actor.

Yeah I saw Hal Holbrook's nom on CNN, what's the other nomination?

PS: I just saw it ... Achievement in film editing
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    oh, come on. those enchanted songs are nominated? i took my nieces to see that movie...wouldn't say any of those songs were musical masterpieces.

bummer. :(
  • It's just like the guy said on Rolling Stone the other, the academy has a thing for Disney tunes and he was right oscar is stupid
    It's okay! I'm easy to forget! I'm only the fucking lead singer! - Jeff Bebe, Almost Famous
    nfanel wrote:
    oh, come on. those enchanted songs are nominated? i took my nieces to see that movie...wouldn't say any of those songs were musical masterpieces.

bummer. :(

When I opened up the nominees for that category for a second I thought that maybe if hadn't updated and that's why they had the same movie on all the slots..- LOL

Maybe one song but 3? I haven't seen the movie nor have I heard the soundtrack but I think its ridiculous to give 3 nods to the same movie for Best Song
    Jeff Bebe wrote:
    It's just like the guy said on Rolling Stone the other, the academy has a thing for Disney tunes and he was right oscar is stupid

yeah but 3 songs is beyond stupid .. IMO (it could be that I'm just biased too of course) :D
  • When I opened up the nominees for that category for a second I thought that maybe if hadn't updated and that's why they had the same movie on all the slots..- LOL

Maybe one song but 3? I haven't seen the movie nor have I heard the soundtrack but I think its ridiculous to give 3 nods to the same movie for Best Song

That's what I thought too. Maybe they were still updating it. I have seen the movie and I can't even remember any of the songs. Three nods for one movie is ridiculous. They should just pick one song and stick with that.
  • i was thinking the same thing... maybe they made a mistake on the website with the listing for the Best Song noms...
    heh heh..

oh well...we KNOW which song is bestest :)

and I LOVE Hal Halbrook... I wish he would win. He so deserves it for that heartbreaking performance.
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • cuyler41cuyler41 Posts: 383
    It would have been nice to see Ed get a nod, but the Oscars love Disney Fluff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVXbNLevnMk come on , this is total dribble, lol good god , Oscar voters should be shot with a ball of thier own shit!
    i was thinking the same thing... maybe they made a mistake on the website with the listing for the Best Song noms...
    heh heh..

oh well...we KNOW which song is bestest :)

that's true.. the Oscars suck anyway! :D
    And Ed doesnt need the Academy to tell him hes the best! :p
    cuyler41 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVXbNLevnMk come on , this is total dribble, lol good god , Oscar voters should be shot with a ball of thier own shit!
    thanks for refreshing my memory. :p
    at least we know the people that make the nominations are insane....and ed isn't losing out to actual good songs. :)
    cuyler41 wrote:

GEE!! and THAT is better than Guaranteed?
    These Academy people must be on crack!
  • that's true.. the Oscars suck anyway! :D
    And Ed doesnt need the Academy to tell him hes the best! :p

I second that.
  • Riot_RainRiot_Rain Posts: 348
    The voting procedure:
    The members of the various branches nominate those in their respective fields while all members may submit nominees for Best Picture. The winners are then determined by a second round of voting in which all members are then allowed to vote in most categories, including Best Picture.

Explains a lot, me thinks ;) I would like to see a list of members, so we can figure out where their interests lie (and how many shares they have in Disney, hehehe!)

Oh well.
    Like a cloud dropping rain
    I'm discarding all thought
    I'll dry up, leaving puddles on the ground
    I'm like an opening band for the sun
    Riot_Rain wrote:
    The voting procedure:
    The members of the various branches nominate those in their respective fields while all members may submit nominees for Best Picture. The winners are then determined by a second round of voting in which all members are then allowed to vote in most categories, including Best Picture.

Explains a lot, me thinks ;) I would like to see a list of members, so we can figure out where their interests lie (and how many shares they have in Disney, hehehe!)

Oh well.

That plus I don't think they want to take the risk of having Ed on stage giving speeches on Election year :p
  • It's the Oscar awards who the flip cares. lol :D
  • Oh well.....NOW GET BACK IN THE STUDIO and stop with the Glam tour!!!
  • NoonieNoonie Posts: 93
    Oh well.....NOW GET BACK IN THE STUDIO and stop with the Glam tour!!!

lol :D yes pleas.
    It would have been sweet to watch him perform at the show... ah well. Enchanted was cute I guess. whatevs.
    My rhymes and records they don't get played
    Because my records and rhymes they don't get made
    And if you rap like me you don't get paid
    And if you roll like me you don't get laid.
  • oscars = utter nonsense
    Give way to nature ...
    That plus I don't think they want to take the risk of having Ed on stage giving speeches on Election year :p
    ah, very good point. :D
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    :mad:
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Be SoundBe Sound Posts: 199

Very good point! Would have loved to have seen it though... lol
    Don't it make you smile
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    bullshit!! :mad:

but congrats to hal holbrook...definitely deserves it....:)
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    what's with the purple face?

does it really make people sad?

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Riot_Rain wrote:
    The voting procedure:

Oh well.

I've judged for another prominent awards presentation in the past and there's not much to it other than all members score the selected works in order of preference, the ones getting the most votes in the top 5 getting the nominations. Those are then judged collectively and the top vote getter of those 5 gets the award.

Still, it blows that Enchanted came out that strong in the voting - and that Guaranteed didn't take a place.

Though the one shining light is Hansard and Irglova for "Once."