Options

Cool Mike McCready Story (kind of long)

2»

Comments

• Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    just remember when you are pissed off with her for some stupid reason in years to come, she will just simply turn round to you and say:dont you remember what i did for you

end of argument

great story BTW
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    i just wannta say.......

i need to start bookmarking threads like this.
    when i'm down, they will surely cheer me up.

i should've said this when i first replied
    I’ve experienced a tiny bit of what makes Mike so special.
    I sat front row june 08 va beach and during Alive he crossed the stage to my side and toss a pick to me. (To give you insight, I’m disabled)
    Fucking incredible!
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    I updated the first post to show the pictures of the signed LP's from Mike.
  • Options
    I updated the first post to show the pictures of the signed LP's from Mike.
    Yes you did. Those look awesome!
    Nathan
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,948
    I finally got the pictures to upload. Sorry for the relatively crappy pictures.

Ten: http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff355/SURFERSENROCK/Ten.jpg
    Vs: http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff355/SURFERSENROCK/Vs.jpg
    All 3: http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff355/SURFERSENROCK/All3.jpg
    All 3 pt. 2: http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff355/SURFERSENROCK/All3pt2.jpg

Please let me know if you can't view the pics this is my first try with Photobucket.

Original Story and post is below...

Before I get started, I just want to make it clear that I am not trying to gloat or brag in any way. I am just super excited about this and thought that I would share this story with a group of people who might appreciate how cool it is.

Without any further hesitation....

It all started the weekend of Lollapalooza 2008. I was in Chicago getting my face rocked off by the amazing line-up of bands that were up there this year. While I was up there, my girlfriend was attending a bachelorette party for one of our friends getting married in November. While there, she somehow got on the topic of me being an obsessive Pearl Jam fan. Another girl there could empathize/sypathize since her husband was also a die hard fan; so much so acutally that his son's middle name is Vedder.

Anyway, in a completely random series of events, another girl who made a very brief appearance at the bachelorette party overheard this conversation and said that her roommate knew a couple of the guys in the band. My girlfriend, the wife of the other obsessed fan, and the new mystery girl then briefly chatted about things, traded contact info (phone numbers, etc), and went their separate ways. All of this occurred unbeknownst to me. I never heard one thing about this.

Well, yesterday, I went over to my girlfriend's place after we went to a movie and she asked if I liked what she had picked up at Urban Outfitters. I was kind of dumbfounded when I saw two LP frames hanging on her wall, more so because hanging albums on the walls is more my style than hers. Then, upon further inspection, I realized that she had a copy of Ten and a copy of Vs. hanging in these frames. This would cause you to do a double take if you knew my girlfriend because while she doesn't dislike Pearl Jam, she certainly doesn't like them enough to hang their albums on her wall. When I looked even closer, I saw that these albums had been doodled on and someone had signed them.

I will take a quick diversion and give a bit more of a backstory...About 3 or so weeks ago my girlfriend had asked me who my favorite member of PJ was and what my favorite album was. The favorite band member question wasn't difficult for me to answer (McCready, come on, that's easy), the album question was impossible to answer and I told her it was like picking your favorite child (or at least what I assume that would be like since I have no kids at this point).

Now back to the signed LP's hanging on her wall...I asked her who had signed these albums and she told me Mike McCready. Mind you, I still have not been told about this bizarre bachelorette party connection that was made, so I thought she was playing a cruel joke on me. Why you ask? Well, because the copy of Ten read "Matt, Thanks for all the years of support. Cheers! Mike McCready" and the copy of Vs. had a doodle of a dialog box coming out of the sheep's mouth that said "Matt, You rock! Thanks, Mike McCready". It just seemed too good to be true, too personalized. It wasn't until my girlfriend showed me the third piece of the puzzle that I realized this was all very genuine. She showed me a copy of the 1993 Fan Club Single (that has Angel, one of my favorite rarities) that was also signed "Thanks Matt, Mike McCready". I knew that she knew nothing of the Fan Club singles and wouldn't be able to just pick this up and doodle on it. I then asked her to explain.

Evidently she had been in contact with the girl she had met at the bachelorette party, the one who lived with the girl who knows a couple of the guys in the band. My girlfriend had asked if she sent something to be signed if someone could possibly do it. The other girl said yeah, but that it would have to wait a while because Eddie would be out on tour, etc. My girlfriend bought the LP copy of Ten online and sent it to her saying that she wasn't particular and that anything she could do would be very much appreciated. Yesterday, she received notice from the girl she met at the bachelorette party that the package had been sent and had been signed for at my girlfriend's building. When my girlfriend went to retrieve the package she found not only the record that she had sent signed (Ten) but the copy of Vs as well as the 1993 Fan Club single, all signed by Mr. McCready himself.

It turns out that Mike McCready is an incredibly nice and appreciative guy on top of being one of the most amazing guitarists ever. He had thrown in the copy of Vs. and the Fan Club Single and signed them all just because he is a super cool guy. I was speechless. I wanted to cry. It was by far the coolest and most thoughtful thing anyone has ever done for me. I am still dumbfounded by the whole thing. The fact that my girlfriend was able to line this whole thing up, the fact that Mike McCready was not only cool enough to go along with it, but also go above and beyond and throw in some additional items, and the fact that it all came together and hit me completely by surprise really made for a truly unforgettable gift, experience, and night.

I am an idiot when it comes to techie stuff, but I took a few pictures of everything on my digital camera and will try to post them as soon as my girlfriend sends the pics to me (I warned you about my ignorance when it comes to these things). I might have to ask some of you how I could go about posting the pics on here for everyone who is interested to see, but I will tackle that when the situation presents itself.

Anyway, thanks to my amazing girlfriend who managed to put this whole thing together for me, the girl who lined up the signatures, Mike McCready for being so cool about signing the LP and for throwing in the additional LP's, and to any of you who have taken the time out of your day to read my long and exhausting account of one of the most memorable nights/experiences of my life.

Take it easy,
    Matt

Awesome story. Awesome Pics. Congrats :)
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    SENROCK! wrote:
    sweet pics!!!!

if you do say so yourself ;)
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    Matt, dude, you just made my day!! This is such a great story and great read! It was a pleasure to take time out of my day and read this! It really did cheer me up! You're lucky my friend! And really that girlfriend of yours is amazing, you better take good care of her! Now does she have a brother I can hook up with? I'd imagine he'd be as awesome as she is :P, But really, thank you for sharing with the "Jamily" and posting the pics, THE PICS KICK! And wow, Mike is such a nice, cool and REAL down to earth guy, it's really amazing that after ALL the fame they've been through and how big they are as a band, it never got to their heads, they seem like just a couple of guys jamming together and having a good time, as if they weren't famous...I love that! Mike is so close to his roots, he hasn't forgotten who he is at all! Some artists just let fame puff em' up like a proud Robin, it's real refreshing to know that there are still REAL people like that in the industry! More reasons to love Mike and this band!! Hehe, again, Matt, thanks for sharing with us! And I didn't even feel it was long at all, if anything I wish it was longer :p, Keep on rockin' in the free world Matt :D
    "Does anyone remember laughter?"

"Where's Mike McCready? My god he's been ate!"

"If you're an Elvis fan, there's no explanation necessary; if you're not, there's no explanation possible."

"Sometimes God makes perfect people and Paul Newman was one of them." - RIP Paul Newman
  • Options
    PJPATPJPAT Posts: 399
    Cool Story and girlfriend. You are a lucky guy.
    "All the money you make will never buy back your soul" Bob Dylan

"I need honesty, I need truth, and I need hope...I need it! That's what music means to me." EV
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    marry her!

ps - who's the friend of the your girlfriend's friend who knows the band? ... :p
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    mikey is pure to the core!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    sweet pics!!!!

Thanks Senrock for letting me post them in your photobucket account plus giving me instructions on how to do so. I tried to pm you to let you know that I had posted them and to make sure you were still cool with me doing it,but your pm box was full.

I am glad everyone enjoys the pics and the story. My girlfriend is awesome and I have no idea how or why she would feel compelled to do something of this magnitude for me, but I definitely appreciate her and the fact that she did.

I have no idea who the girl is who knows the guys in the band which is pretty awesome in and of itself that she would go out on a limb for someone that she doesn't even know. It just goes to show that there are still some really incredible people out there who don't mind going the extra mile to do nice things for others. IT helps me not look at things through such a jaded or cynical perspective.

Thanks again for Speedy for letting me post the pics in your photobucket account. You rock.

Take it easy,
    Matt
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    if you do say so yourself ;)

well they ARE!!!

and you are welcome matt!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    StaffanStaffan Posts: 606
    Cool story, and an awesome girlfriend you've got :)

But...............Mike was not always cool....

http://www.giventowail.com/mike/shadow.jpg

Anyway, he is now and has been for a long time.

Peace
    Everyday................is Pearl Jam Day.

Except Sundays, that's Ed day.

The mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open. FZ

• Options
    Mike is one of THE most thoughtful people on the planet. Right on--so psyched for you!
    I will live forever...you can't keep me here.

1.14.95*1.15.95*10.06.96*8.31.98*9.06.98*8.04.00*
    8.06.00*4.15.03*4.16.03*7.01.03*7.06.03*7.08.03*
    7.09.03*10.03.05*5.09.06*5.10.06*5.30.06*6.16.08