Options

Cool Mike McCready Story (kind of long)

mattmidgettmattmidgett Posts: 128
edited October 2008 in The Porch
I finally got the pictures to upload. Sorry for the relatively crappy pictures.

Ten: http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff355/SURFERSENROCK/Ten.jpg
Vs: http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff355/SURFERSENROCK/Vs.jpg
All 3: http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff355/SURFERSENROCK/All3.jpg
All 3 pt. 2: http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff355/SURFERSENROCK/All3pt2.jpg

Please let me know if you can't view the pics this is my first try with Photobucket.

Original Story and post is below...

Before I get started, I just want to make it clear that I am not trying to gloat or brag in any way. I am just super excited about this and thought that I would share this story with a group of people who might appreciate how cool it is.

Without any further hesitation....

It all started the weekend of Lollapalooza 2008. I was in Chicago getting my face rocked off by the amazing line-up of bands that were up there this year. While I was up there, my girlfriend was attending a bachelorette party for one of our friends getting married in November. While there, she somehow got on the topic of me being an obsessive Pearl Jam fan. Another girl there could empathize/sypathize since her husband was also a die hard fan; so much so acutally that his son's middle name is Vedder.

Anyway, in a completely random series of events, another girl who made a very brief appearance at the bachelorette party overheard this conversation and said that her roommate knew a couple of the guys in the band. My girlfriend, the wife of the other obsessed fan, and the new mystery girl then briefly chatted about things, traded contact info (phone numbers, etc), and went their separate ways. All of this occurred unbeknownst to me. I never heard one thing about this.

Well, yesterday, I went over to my girlfriend's place after we went to a movie and she asked if I liked what she had picked up at Urban Outfitters. I was kind of dumbfounded when I saw two LP frames hanging on her wall, more so because hanging albums on the walls is more my style than hers. Then, upon further inspection, I realized that she had a copy of Ten and a copy of Vs. hanging in these frames. This would cause you to do a double take if you knew my girlfriend because while she doesn't dislike Pearl Jam, she certainly doesn't like them enough to hang their albums on her wall. When I looked even closer, I saw that these albums had been doodled on and someone had signed them.

I will take a quick diversion and give a bit more of a backstory...About 3 or so weeks ago my girlfriend had asked me who my favorite member of PJ was and what my favorite album was. The favorite band member question wasn't difficult for me to answer (McCready, come on, that's easy), the album question was impossible to answer and I told her it was like picking your favorite child (or at least what I assume that would be like since I have no kids at this point).

Now back to the signed LP's hanging on her wall...I asked her who had signed these albums and she told me Mike McCready. Mind you, I still have not been told about this bizarre bachelorette party connection that was made, so I thought she was playing a cruel joke on me. Why you ask? Well, because the copy of Ten read "Matt, Thanks for all the years of support. Cheers! Mike McCready" and the copy of Vs. had a doodle of a dialog box coming out of the sheep's mouth that said "Matt, You rock! Thanks, Mike McCready". It just seemed too good to be true, too personalized. It wasn't until my girlfriend showed me the third piece of the puzzle that I realized this was all very genuine. She showed me a copy of the 1993 Fan Club Single (that has Angel, one of my favorite rarities) that was also signed "Thanks Matt, Mike McCready". I knew that she knew nothing of the Fan Club singles and wouldn't be able to just pick this up and doodle on it. I then asked her to explain.

Evidently she had been in contact with the girl she had met at the bachelorette party, the one who lived with the girl who knows a couple of the guys in the band. My girlfriend had asked if she sent something to be signed if someone could possibly do it. The other girl said yeah, but that it would have to wait a while because Eddie would be out on tour, etc. My girlfriend bought the LP copy of Ten online and sent it to her saying that she wasn't particular and that anything she could do would be very much appreciated. Yesterday, she received notice from the girl she met at the bachelorette party that the package had been sent and had been signed for at my girlfriend's building. When my girlfriend went to retrieve the package she found not only the record that she had sent signed (Ten) but the copy of Vs as well as the 1993 Fan Club single, all signed by Mr. McCready himself.

It turns out that Mike McCready is an incredibly nice and appreciative guy on top of being one of the most amazing guitarists ever. He had thrown in the copy of Vs. and the Fan Club Single and signed them all just because he is a super cool guy. I was speechless. I wanted to cry. It was by far the coolest and most thoughtful thing anyone has ever done for me. I am still dumbfounded by the whole thing. The fact that my girlfriend was able to line this whole thing up, the fact that Mike McCready was not only cool enough to go along with it, but also go above and beyond and throw in some additional items, and the fact that it all came together and hit me completely by surprise really made for a truly unforgettable gift, experience, and night.

I am an idiot when it comes to techie stuff, but I took a few pictures of everything on my digital camera and will try to post them as soon as my girlfriend sends the pics to me (I warned you about my ignorance when it comes to these things). I might have to ask some of you how I could go about posting the pics on here for everyone who is interested to see, but I will tackle that when the situation presents itself.

Anyway, thanks to my amazing girlfriend who managed to put this whole thing together for me, the girl who lined up the signatures, Mike McCready for being so cool about signing the LP and for throwing in the additional LP's, and to any of you who have taken the time out of your day to read my long and exhausting account of one of the most memorable nights/experiences of my life.

Take it easy,
Matt
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,762
    That is a great story...you're a lucky guy.

...where can I find a girlfriend with hook ups like that?
  • Options
    and that girlfriend of yours is a keeper!
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,887
    very cool- your girlfriend is a keeper
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    mike is the man, plain and simple.
    Music for Rhinos
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Marry her ---- quick!
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    arielariel Posts: 191
    What an awesome experience, how great for you - and yes, your girlfriend is definitely a keeper!!

Thanks for sharing the story :)
    Creating walls to call your own
    So no one catches you?
  • Options
    dawngdawng Posts: 644
    Very cool - the two times I met Mike he seemed to be a very nice guy and down to earth and was happy to sign my stuff. And wow, how great is your girlfriend! Keeper!
    Check out my Sudsy Chick Etsy Store for all natural homemade bath products!
  • Options
    chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    Great Story!!!
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,789
    I hope you're planning on proposing soon.....
  • Options
    Man she is a keeper awesome story. Mike is such a great guy met him several times and always so cooooool!!!!!!11
  • Options
    Awesome experiance...Thanks for sharing...
    Lots of good people out there,sounds like you are surrounded by them..
    Enjoy
  • Options
    What a awesome story! Thanks for sharing, it made my day!
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • Options
    good for you dude,your girl is awesome!!

Mike has got to be one of the most fan friendly cats in all of rock and roll!! EVER!!
  • Options
    awesome story dude, thanks for sharing!
    Mike is the fucking man!
    just another reason why i love these guys
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • Options
    Mike is awesome in more ways than one.
    Let's see those 2013 dates in the southern states.
  • Options
    Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Amazing story man! Mike seems like such a cool and genuine guy.
  • Options
    PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    Very cool story!

You're very lucky to have a woman like that!!!!

Mike Rules!
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • Options
    That is awesome.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Dude that is incredible. Thats The Master McCready in his everyday greatness! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    Awesome story:) After all these stories about Mike, he would be the member of the band I'd be the least nervous to meet. I've never heard of him being anything less than super cool and genuine to fans.
    And yes, hold onto your girlfriend!
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    well thank god for bachelorette party's huh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for posting.
    i love being reminded of how great men the guys are.

use photobucket for pics, it's easy.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    These guys are so fucking cool and real. What rock stars do this kind of shit?
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    great story! enjoy the LP's :]
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    These guys are so fucking cool and real. What rock stars do this kind of shit?

Just our boys man! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    Just our boys man! :D

That's the way they roll!!!!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    great story!!!
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    awesome story! and yes, mike is a total sweetheart, i was privileged enough to meet him back in june, he's the best :)
  • Options
    Awesome story! How amazing is Mike McCready!?!? : > Thanks for sharin' ... that is some girlfriend ya have, please take good care of her!
    "i'm a dedicated insomniac" ~ ev nyc beacon 6/22
  • Options
    yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    Mike has literally given the coat off of his back to a fan..He is the most super nice down to earth rockstar dude I have ever had the pleasure of meeting twice!
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org