Meat Pie

2»

Comments

• LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    Wifelet makes the best pies

Use small ( say 3-4" diameter) non-stick springform pie/cake tins.

Buy packs of shortcrust and puff pastry in sheets.
    Butter teh inside of the tins, then line with the shortcrust. Add your filling, either beef based, or Thai chicken curry fucking rocks too. Pre-cooking this is best.
    Use the puff pastry for the tops. Remember to cut a couple of nicks in the pastry.
    Bake em til they are brown and serve with mashed potato and tomato sauce. Fountain Spicy Red is the best

They frezze really well in the prepared, but not baked form. You can pull these from teh freezer and chcuck em straight in the oven. It's easy to cook enough filling for 6-10 decent sized pies and have heaps left over for later, saves a lot of work.

My crusts didn't come out too well cooked...they're edible but i think most people would want them crispier. Here's a question, if I blind bake them first, how do I get the tops to stick?

And, what's short crust?

thatirwinfella...that's pretty gross!!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Lizardjam wrote:
    My crusts didn't come out too well cooked...they're edible but i think most people would want them crispier. Here's a question, if I blind bake them first, how do I get the tops to stick?

And, what's short crust?

thatirwinfella...that's pretty gross!!

If I knew what "blind-bake" meant , I could maybe answer that.

I don't really know ehat short -crust is specifically either, I just asked me wifey what she uses. When I help her cook pies, i just use what she tells me.
    But I'm prety sure if you go teh teh freezer section in a supermarket, there will be packeaged sheets labeeld shortcrust. I think the puff will give you better tops.
    I just lay the top over the edge, and run the back of a knife around the edge of the tin to seal them and trim the excess at the same time. I leave the lining pastry hanging over the edge when I put it in and the two layers just stick.
    Music is not a competetion.
    If I knew what "blind-bake" meant , I could maybe answer that.

I don't really know ehat short -crust is specifically either, I just asked me wifey what she uses. When I help her cook pies, i just use what she tells me.
    But I'm prety sure if you go teh teh freezer section in a supermarket, there will be packeaged sheets labeeld shortcrust. I think the puff will give you better tops.
    I just lay the top over the edge, and run the back of a knife around the edge of the tin to seal them and trim the excess at the same time. I leave the lining pastry hanging over the edge when I put it in and the two layers just stick.

I'm going to try it. I'll let you know. Thanks for the advice. i seriously was going crazy with the mushy crust.

Blind baking is just baking the crust by itself with some weights so it doesn't rise...just to make it crispier before you put it together. :)

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

• JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Lizardjam wrote:
    I'm going to try it. I'll let you know. Thanks for the advice. i seriously was going crazy with the mushy crust.

Blind baking is just baking the crust by itself with some weights so it doesn't rise...just to make it crispier before you put it together. :)

You know it's been such a long time since I made pies, but you might be able to get the top to stick onto the bottom after blind baking with an egg wash? :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    You know it's been such a long time since I made pies, but you might be able to get the top to stick onto the bottom after blind baking with an egg wash? :)

The package said water...but that sounds better. I put a little egg and milk on top to brown the pastry a bit and it looked like i spilled a yolk over it. haha you'd think i'd never cooked!

Lizardjam wrote:
    The package said water...but that sounds better. I put a little egg and milk on top to brown the pastry a bit and it looked like i spilled a yolk over it. haha you'd think i'd never cooked!

:D Ah well we all have our little disasters and embarrassing moments!
    I think that's half the fun of cooking isn't it? :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • hahaha.. i've got others..

my sister used to work at the beaumonts factory, which was really good as she came home everynight with all sorts of buns and the like... apple and coffee scrolls, slices everything.

never pies though, she refused to eat their pies [i didn't...] cause she reckons the last thing she would see everynight as she closed the door behind her was the glow of the pies from all the preservatives in them.
    waiting for the great leap forward

12 people may make the one decision but that doesn't make it right.

Free Rob Farquharson, wrongfully imprisoned!!

www.factbeforetheory.net
    hahaha.. i've got others..

my sister used to work at the beaumonts factory, which was really good as she came home everynight with all sorts of buns and the like... apple and coffee scrolls, slices everything.

never pies though, she refused to eat their pies [i didn't...] cause she reckons the last thing she would see everynight as she closed the door behind her was the glow of the pies from all the preservatives in them.

Coffee scrolls?????? **shakes fist at irwinfella** Damn you!!!! :p:D

By the way, if you can you really should get down to Queenscliff and get yourself one of those Workman's Pies from the bakery. It's got real chunks of steak and it's just MAGIC!!! :) Bit of dead horse and you're good to go! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    Coffee scrolls?????? **shakes fist at irwinfella** Damn you!!!! :p:D

By the way, if you can you really should get down to Queenscliff and get yourself one of those Workman's Pies from the bakery. It's got real chunks of steak and it's just MAGIC!!! :) Bit of dead horse and you're good to go! :)

You had me until the dead horse????

Lizardjam wrote:
    You had me until the dead horse????

dead horse = sauce :)

bit of aussie rhyming slang. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Lizardjam wrote:

OK, no we don't blind bake, just butter the springforms before lining with shortcrust. The filling is cooked though. Cook for about 40mins at 200C odd, and the pastry will be nice and brown and the puff tops crispy and delicious.
    Using sprigforms makes them really easy to get out.
    The flat-pack pastry sheets are really handy and store easy in the freezer too.
    At one stage there in winter last year, we had a pie every night, just used to chuck em in the oven frozen and go do the horses, and by th time we come, dinner is ready, home cooked yummy. The Thai chicken ones totally kill.

Good luck, and glad you had a good time here in Oz.

I didn't realise that golden syrup is not a worldwide thing. Coming from Bundaberg, a big sugar town, it was just a part of growing up. Did you get to try Anzac Biscuits while you were here ? Nice and chewy is best.
    You can make a wicked upside-down cake by simmering some golden syrup, brandy and sultanas to make the sauce.
    Golden syrup is also the best thing to put on pikelets and pumpkin scones. Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummy!!
  • mmmm yum :) my personal faves are vilis, good old south australia icon... and real beef... promise...
    wah
  • meat pies........God's gift to humans.

Pain in the ass to get done right or even at all here in the states.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
    OK, no we don't blind bake, just butter the springforms before lining with shortcrust. The filling is cooked though. Cook for about 40mins at 200C odd, and the pastry will be nice and brown and the puff tops crispy and delicious.
    Using sprigforms makes them really easy to get out.
    The flat-pack pastry sheets are really handy and store easy in the freezer too.
    At one stage there in winter last year, we had a pie every night, just used to chuck em in the oven frozen and go do the horses, and by th time we come, dinner is ready, home cooked yummy. The Thai chicken ones totally kill.

Good luck, and glad you had a good time here in Oz.

I didn't realise that golden syrup is not a worldwide thing. Coming from Bundaberg, a big sugar town, it was just a part of growing up. Did you get to try Anzac Biscuits while you were here ? Nice and chewy is best.
    You can make a wicked upside-down cake by simmering some golden syrup, brandy and sultanas to make the sauce.
    Golden syrup is also the best thing to put on pikelets and pumpkin scones. Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummy!!

I'm going to hunt down shortcrust. I think if I left the puff pastry in the oven more than 20 minutes it'd be black.

I loved Australia. I'd move there if I could(I know you cringe at that thought!).

I didn't get to try anzac biscuits but I did get a recipe so I'm going to try to make them. I tried so many desserts there. Hmmm they were all good! I remember seeing pikelets, and thinking it a strange name...but at the moment I can't remember what it is?

I still have a whole bowl of the meat pie filling. I'm going to toss it on rice. Nice mix of cultures there...

Lizardjam wrote:
    I'm going to hunt down shortcrust. I think if I left the puff pastry in the oven more than 20 minutes it'd be black.

I loved Australia. I'd move there if I could(I know you cringe at that thought!).

I didn't get to try anzac biscuits but I did get a recipe so I'm going to try to make them. I tried so many desserts there. Hmmm they were all good! I remember seeing pikelets, and thinking it a strange name...but at the moment I can't remember what it is?

I still have a whole bowl of the meat pie filling. I'm going to toss it on rice. Nice mix of cultures there...

The forty minutes is when you pull them straight from the freezer.
    Pikelets are a bit like pancakes, but smaller and a bit thicker. Usually served with toppings like syrup, or jam and cream, rather than in a stack. I think they are a bit of an Aussie peculilarity.
    You can come live in Oz, we welcome everyone here, best multi-culture in the world.
    The only thing we don't like is for peopple to bring their problems with them, or to live in enclaves and try and do their monoculture thing over here.
    If you bake Anzacs, remember they should be a bit chewy, not crisp or dry.
  • If anyone is in the Calgary, AB area,
    I highly recommend a local company called
    Simple Simon's Pies.
    Top notch meat pies and dessert pies too.
    Chicken Curry pie is ace!

Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    Here's what we've got up my way: http://www.dubpies.com/.
    I SAW PEARL JAM