Meat Pie

LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I had a lot of these in Australia. I can't seem to find anywhere that sells them in Los Angeles! One would think with all the cultural food places here that I could find one!!!

Anyone know of one? Or maybe a simple-ish recipe? I tried one this weekend....and it turned out ok.......but I sorta suck at it. I want to be able to purchase them!!!

Anyone?
bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    http://www.australianbakery.com/

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/will-the-yanks-bite/2007/01/11/1168105089968.html

http://www.fourntwenty.com.au/pressreleases.html

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/83034

If I thought I could freeze em and send over to you I would. But I doubt customs would let them out of the country let alone into yours.

I'll let you know next time I'm coming over, maybe they'd let me take em in my hand luggage?! ;):D

If you like I could have one for you? :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    Jeanie wrote:
    http://www.australianbakery.com/

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/will-the-yanks-bite/2007/01/11/1168105089968.html

http://www.fourntwenty.com.au/pressreleases.html

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/83034

If I thought I could freeze em and send over to you I would. But I doubt customs would let them out of the country let alone into yours.

I'll let you know next time I'm coming over, maybe they'd let me take em in my hand luggage?! ;):D

If you like I could have one for you? :D

Ha! Thanks for the links. If only I knew how easy customs actually was when I came back! They didn't check a thing!

Oh I miss the meat pie!!!!!!!!!

I seriously thought I'd find them here! And no golden syrup either!! WTF????

I'm drooling looking at those links!

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

Lizardjam wrote:
    Ha! Thanks for the links. If only I knew how easy customs actually was when I came back! They didn't check a thing!

Oh I miss the meat pie!!!!!!!!!

I seriously thought I'd find them here! And no golden syrup either!! WTF????

I'm drooling looking at those links!

Really???
    Wow! Of course I get checked going in and out. :o Must just be something about me. :D

I reckon I could probably send you golden syrup. If it's sealed and all should be ok to post. But I don't think you can post perishables and I reckon meat pies would qualify as perishable. BUT it does look like they might be about in some places. I had THE BEST PIE at Queenscliffe a few weekends ago. Man it was JUST MAGIC! And I haven't had a meat pie in years! But this was really just like pies used to be. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    When I visited Melbourne I stayed with a friend and I made her buy frozen "party pies" for the times where we were up late and didn't want to go out for them!

I simply fell in love with them! We had them at restaurants, bakeries.....I'm sure I gained a few pounds on that trip!

I brought some golden syrup back with me on this trip but, I think you're right. You can ship it! :) I shipped some sealed stuff to Melbourne and it got through fine. You guys are stricter right now than we are.

oh man I miss me some Tim Tams too......we don't have anything Arnotts!!!!!

• you're missing out if you can't get your hands on some pies.

probably the best things since the invention of the meat pie are the vending machines that dispense warm pies with sauce, and pies that can be microwaved and stay crisp.

up the road from me, there's two really good bakeries that i frequent, which sell awesome pies. Pepper steak would have to be my favourite, closely followed by chicken curry.

<idea> if you love the pies so much, go to this link. it's a pie company that does franchises; http://www.jesters.com.au/ you might be the first juester's pie company in your part of the world.
    waiting for the great leap forward

12 people may make the one decision but that doesn't make it right.

Free Rob Farquharson, wrongfully imprisoned!!

www.factbeforetheory.net
    Lizardjam wrote:
    When I visited Melbourne I stayed with a friend and I made her buy frozen "party pies" for the times where we were up late and didn't want to go out for them!

I simply fell in love with them! We had them at restaurants, bakeries.....I'm sure I gained a few pounds on that trip!

I brought some golden syrup back with me on this trip but, I think you're right. You can ship it! :) I shipped some sealed stuff to Melbourne and it got through fine. You guys are stricter right now than we are.

oh man I miss me some Tim Tams too......we don't have anything Arnotts!!!!!

:) I got a couple of packets of Tim Tams sitting here right now that I'm posting out for Christmas. If you pm me an address I can pop some in the post for you too if you like. And I can get you some Golden Syrup too if you like. :) Just let me know.
    Can't help you with the party pies. :D BUT MAN I LOVE PARTY PIES!!!! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i'm feeling so very unaustralian right now people. i only eat curry vegetable vegan pies from jesters. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • it's the thought that counts. don't tell too many people, it'd be like stapling a NZ flag to your back... you just don't do these things.

www.factbeforetheory.net
    it's the thought that counts. don't tell too many people, it'd be like stapling a NZ flag to your back... you just don't do these things.

would that be below or above my eureka flag. :D:p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • nah, the eureka flag is acceptable, but only if you say "youse" a lot, or pronounce "-ing" as "-ink"

perhaps you should compensate by getting an aus flag bikini. better post some pics to prove it :D

joking...

www.factbeforetheory.net
    nah, the eureka flag is acceptable, but only if you say "youse" a lot, or pronounce "-ing" as "-ink"

perhaps you should compensate by getting an aus flag bikini. better post some pics to prove it :D

joking...

shouldn't that be jokink? ;):p:D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • yeah, fuckink oath

www.factbeforetheory.net
    yeah, fuckink oath

nah love, ya still bein far too cultured! It's oaf mate oaf! ;):p
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    An Aussie restaurant in New York called Eight Mile Creek does a pretty good Maggott Bag. Don't know about LA though.
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • forget maggot bags, can they do a decent snot block?

www.factbeforetheory.net
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    forget maggot bags, can they do a decent snot block?

Nope just the Dogs Eyes
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
    ooh! I'd kill for a decent snot block! :) Haven't had one in ages! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Meat Pie ?

Is that slang for a man's penis ?

;)
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    Meat Pie ?

Is that slang for a man's penis ?

;)

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Ic3RqPIJo

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=bDwYRzq9LY4

Ah no! :) Least I hope not! It's my nickname! :D:o
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Jeanie wrote:

I thought you were a Mag Pie :p

What type of meat is in that pie ?

I thought you were a Mag Pie

What type of meat is in that pie ?

Nope. I did used to support the Magpies in the footy when I could give a shit but not so much anymore. :)

My Dad nicknamed me piesnsauce when I was a little girl. :)
    I just get piedies now. :)

It's usually ground beef in gravy. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Jeanie wrote:
    Nope. I did used to support the Magpies in the footy when I could give a shit but not so much anymore. :)

My Dad nicknamed me piesnsauce when I was a little girl. :)
    I just get piedies now. :)

It's usually ground beef in gravy. :)

Mmmmm...baked ground beef and gravy

We dont really have those here

My Dad nicknamed me Bastard :confused:

Mmmmm...baked ground beef and gravy

We dont really have those here

My Dad nicknamed me Bastard :confused:

Yeah, meat pies and sauce are pretty darn yummy! :) They're like the National dish. :D

My dad coulda quite truthfully nicknamed me bastard. :D And we did get called "you little bastards" sometimes but usually if we were being real buggers! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    thanks guys. i feel quite delirious bathing in all this aussienessness. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Jeanie wrote:
    Yeah, meat pies and sauce are pretty darn yummy! :) They're like the National dish. :D

My dad coulda quite truthfully nicknamed me bastard. :D And we did get called "you little bastards" sometimes but usually if we were being real buggers! :D

I guess the closest we have to those is a "Stromboli"

Usually filled with cheese/sauce and a meat, usually pepperoni or cheesesteak meat and baked

We also have Calzones which are filled with Cheese and baked

I guess the "Meat Pie" is something I may have had under a different name :)

I guess the closest we have to those is a "Stromboli"

Usually filled with cheese/sauce and a meat, usually pepperoni or cheesesteak meat and baked

We also have Calzones which are filled with Cheese and baked

I guess the "Meat Pie" is something I may have had under a different name

Really the meat pie is just the same as your apple pie only the filling is meat and the pastry not sweetened. :) But it's shortcrust pastry and maybe the best I could describe the filling is like what you would have in a sloppy joe? Well except it's not tomato based. We put the tomato on top of the pie. As SAUCE!! :D

We have Calzone. :) Not so sure about Stromboli but probably because we do have a large Italian community here. :) But that's not really like the Aussie Meat Pie.

I really don't think you have anything like them there. I mean other than at the places I listed in my first post. From what I can gather the Great Aussie Pie has not taken the States by storm. Yet! ;)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    :) I got a couple of packets of Tim Tams sitting here right now that I'm posting out for Christmas. If you pm me an address I can pop some in the post for you too if you like. And I can get you some Golden Syrup too if you like. :) Just let me know.
    Can't help you with the party pies. :D BUT MAN I LOVE PARTY PIES!!!! :D

You totally rock. I'm going to eat my homemade pies today for lunch. I hope they're good!!! I forgot Ketchup! Or, tomato sauce, rather. ;)

Ohhh no, a meat pie is not like a Calzone, and it's not like sloppy joe..I've never had one with mince(ground for us) beef, but some recipes say you can use it. I prefer the steak!

• i prefer the steak too, at least you know what you're getting.

they're allowed to use almost any part of the cow for mince beef, so it's good to see big chunks of obvious meat... rather than ground up bits of testicle, liver and penis.

having said that, i still eat them with mince beef

www.factbeforetheory.net
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Wifelet makes the best pies

Use small ( say 3-4" diameter) non-stick springform pie/cake tins.

Buy packs of shortcrust and puff pastry in sheets.
    Butter teh inside of the tins, then line with the shortcrust. Add your filling, either beef based, or Thai chicken curry fucking rocks too. Pre-cooking this is best.
    Use the puff pastry for the tops. Remember to cut a couple of nicks in the pastry.
    Bake em til they are brown and serve with mashed potato and tomato sauce. Fountain Spicy Red is the best

They frezze really well in the prepared, but not baked form. You can pull these from teh freezer and chcuck em straight in the oven. It's easy to cook enough filling for 6-10 decent sized pies and have heaps left over for later, saves a lot of work.
    Music is not a competetion.
    Lizardjam wrote:
    You totally rock. I'm going to eat my homemade pies today for lunch. I hope they're good!!! I forgot Ketchup! Or, tomato sauce, rather. ;)

Ohhh no, a meat pie is not like a Calzone, and it's not like sloppy joe..I've never had one with mince(ground for us) beef, but some recipes say you can use it. I prefer the steak!

So how did they go Liz? :)

Ketchup! :rolleyes: Get it right mate! ;)

Anyhoo I haven't forgotten I've just been distracted today but I'll get back to ya in the morning and I'm off to the supermarket now so I'll see if they have any tubes of Golden Syrup while I'm there and I grab some of those new Love Potions Tim Tams too. Just in case they tickle ya fancy. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift