Options

wich pj songs do you like better studio versions than live versions ..

josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,419
edited November 2008 in The Porch
for me the following ..
SAD way better studio than live unless mike nails the leads at the end he just never does at least not loud enough ..

ALL NIGHT also i like it way better studio version..
jesus greets me looks just like me ....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Amherst, Massachusetts Posts: 1,510
    Whipping
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    WMA

The new version is alright but I like it old school.
    #FHP
  • Options
    Horos wrote:
    WMA

yeah i agree but do you like the studio version better than the live versions ? ..
  • Options
    Corduroy

The slow burning of the intro, the distinct basslines, Ed's delivery. It was just recorded perfectly.

While its still great live and will always be a staple, I just prefer it slowed down a bit. They race through it live.
  • Options
    xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
    I Got Shit......by far.

Whipping, as mentioned
    Animal
    Go
    No Way...those few times they played it live...meh.

That's all I can think of...
  • Options
    Sad is much better live....

SOLAT is better studio.
  • Options
    Porch
  • Options
    Present Tense
    Get Right
    Of the Girl
    myspace.com/curtandres
    pearljamguy@gmail.com
  • Options
    upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    get right
    no way

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    mhalfhill wrote:
    Sad is much better live....

SOLAT is better studio.

nah SAD mike never nails the leads at the end and i mean nail by just exploding out like in the studio version,and SOLAT no i like it way better live i never go back and listen to the studio version at all ..
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,593
    Horos wrote:
    WMA

Agree! and In My Tree
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    I agree with a bunch of these

In My Tree
    I Got Id
    State of Love and Trust
  • Options
    Present Tense
    Get Right
    Of the Girl

Present Tense really ? take a listen to the San Francisco 06 version i forget wich night ..

Of the Girl maybe i can agree with but also listen to the Jones Beach 00 2nd night opener ....
  • Options
    Sleight of Hand
    "I think I kinda want it."
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 198
    Oceans
    Animal
    Spin The Black Circle
    State Of Love and Trust
    Hail, Hail
    Given To Fly
    In Hiding
    Get Right
    You Are
    Bushleaguer
    Life Wasted
    Worldwide Suicide
    It's Evolution, Baby!
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    LOWLIGHT...work on those backing vocals Jeff. ;)

Although, anything off YIELD other than GTF, WISHLIGHT and DTE is a rarity, so I'll retract my statement and take comfort in the fact that they do remember how to play songs off "the 5th record".

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    In My Tree

Something gets lost in the new intro, but there are times when they really pull it off effectively live. The Kitchener '05 and Memphis '00 versions are ones I saw lived and enjoyed seeing it back in the set.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,277
    RearViewMirror
    Gone
    I am Mine
    In Hiding
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    I think live > studio.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    RearViewMirror
    Gone
    I am Mine
    In Hiding

whoa In Hiding i'm surprized at this one what don't you like about the live versions ?
  • Options
    GivenToJam88GivenToJam88 NJ Posts: 1,187
    RearViewMirror
    2006: 5/28
    2008: 6/19, 6/24, 6/25
    2009: 6/14 (EV), 10/27, 10/28
    2010: 5/17
    2011: 6/21 (EV), 6/22 (EV), 9/11, 9/12
    2012: 9/2
    2013: 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/21, 10/22, 10/27, 11/23, 11/24
    2014: 10/19
    2016: 5/1, 5/2, 5/8
    2018: 8/20, 9/2, 9/4
  • Options
    whoa In Hiding i'm surprized at this one what don't you like about the live versions ?

I agree I think most yield sons are so much better live than on yield, especially In Hiding. I do think that spin the black circle and rearviewmirror are both better in studio than live.
    "Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks"
  • Options
    Off He Goes - has a great vibe on No Code that I have never heard recaptured in a live setting (can say the same for Elderly Woman)

DTE - know I am in the minority here, but I like the tempo of the Yield version, plus the guitar tones on the album version are awesome (and not matched live IMHO)

May be off topic, but one thing I would like to see would be Boom duplicating some of the piano/keyboard parts as they are done on the studio versions. One example would be the piano part on Black to go along with the do-do-doot-doot-do-du-do part (best way I could describe it). Sure there are other songs that, to me, would be even better live with a little more "coloring".

Flame away:)
    8/9/92 Jones Beach, 10/2/96 Hartford, 9/8/98 E. Rutherford, 9/1/00 Camden, 7/5/03 Camden, 7/9/03 MSG, 7/14/03 PNC, 10/1/04 Reading, 9/30/05 Borgata, 10/1/05 Borgata, 10/3/05 Philly, 5/27/06 Camden, 6/1/06 E. Rutherford, 6/3/06 E. Rutherford, 6/20/08 Camden, 6/24/08 MSG, 6/25/08 MSG, 8/7/08 EV@NJPAC, 10/30/09 Spectrum, 10/31/09 Spectrum, 5/18/10 Newark
  • Options
    One example would be the piano part on Black to go along with the do-do-doot-doot-do-du-do part (best way I could describe it).

I think you mean "tuururtutururu"

:D:D
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
    Daughter
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,277

I think Ed's singing live is not quite up to par on this song live, the high notes don't seem to be as strong live as on the studio version. I think live it is rare when Ed hits this song right. All and all it's not bad live I just think the studio version is one of their best studio songs. Rarely for me does a studio version of a PJ song do the song justice but to me In Hiding really does. To me this is more about the studio version than the live version.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    I think Ed's singing live is not quite up to par on this song live, the high notes don't seem to be as strong live as on the studio version. I think live it is rare when Ed hits this song right. All and all it's not bad live I just think the studio version is one of their best studio songs. Rarely for me does a studio version of a PJ song do the song justice but to me In Hiding really does. To me this is more about the studio version than the live version.

i hear you i will listen to the studio version again ..
  • Options
    Definitely Rearviewmirror. The live version just isn't very exciting, but the studio version blows me away. Must be hard to replicate the intensity of the song live...

Oh, and anyone who says "In Hiding" is crazy. :D
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 California Posts: 596
    Probably anything from Yield and earlier is better studio.. except for Do the Evolution.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Options
    Probably anything from Yield and earlier is better studio.. except for Do the Evolution.

I prefer the studio DTE. I love Jack's groove on the song.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too