cloverfield

deadnothingbetterdeadnothingbetter Posts: 2,202
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
any cloverfield fans??? i just came back from watching the film. gawwwwwwd........ i loved it! anyone else big fan of horror flicks? particularly about monsters? i truly thought this is by far one of the most original monsters in a very long time.
This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chikevinchikevin Posts: 421
    i'm not into horror films, but had two friends go see it and they absolutely loved it!

appears it's a must see.
  • chikevin wrote:
    i'm not into horror films, but had two friends go see it and they absolutely loved it!

appears it's a must see.
    i'll just say this about the film.... there was absolutely and i'm positively sure that there was no way the film could've been made any better. suspense, violence, action, horror.... even the shots and clips you see, for what it is, they are absolutely great. there simply was no way matt reeves and j.j. abrams could've made the film any better. and i'd say this flick beats any other horror film about monsters i'd ever seen.
  • I can't wait it this comes out over here on the 1st Feb...

I LOVE horror movies and Cloverfield looks fuckin awesome!!

YAY! MONSTERS!!! :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • I agree!! They took a big risk filming this movie on handy-cams, but I was so pumped out when I walked out of the theaters.. This wasnt a movie...it was an EXPERIENCE. I cant remember the last time my sphincter clenched up so many times during a movie as intense as this!!

**Note to those who havent seen it...keep your eyes open during the final two minutes of the movie...theres a little something you might see that will explain where the monster came from**
    the oceans made me, but who came up with love?
  • I agree!! They took a big risk filming this movie on handy-cams, but I was so pumped out when I walked out of the theaters.. This wasnt a movie...it was an EXPERIENCE. I cant remember the last time my sphincter clenched up so many times during a movie as intense as this!!

**Note to those who havent seen it...keep your eyes open during the final two minutes of the movie...theres a little something you might see that will explain where the monster came from**
    awww.... shit!!!! i knew i shoulda stayed.... i walked out as soon as the credits started.... mind sending me a private message and explain it to me?
  • I can't wait it this comes out over here on the 1st Feb...

I LOVE horror movies and Cloverfield looks fuckin awesome!!

YAY! MONSTERS!!! :D
    i know it sounds weird me saying this but i absolutely love this monster.
  • awww.... shit!!!! i knew i shoulda stayed.... i walked out as soon as the credits started.... mind sending me a private message and explain it to me?

It happened before the credits rolled!! when they're on the ferris wheel, its only a split second, but when the camera is facing out to the ocean...well...you can see something.... All 5 of my friends missed it when we saw it, I was the only one that caught it.
    the oceans made me, but who came up with love?
  • i know it sounds weird me saying this but i absolutely love this monster.
    Not at all!! :)

I haven't seen anything of the monster yet, all we've had over here is a few trailers/teasers with nothing really clear as to what it is or what it looks like...

To be honest I don't think i'd wanna know til I see the movie anyway... adds to the suspense!

Ohh I can't wait!!! :D:D:D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • It happened before the credits rolled!! when they're on the ferris wheel, its only a split second, but when the camera is facing out to the ocean...well...you can see something.... All 5 of my friends missed it when we saw it, I was the only one that caught it.
    ahhh, i gotcha now. i'm a watch this again.... i hear they might make a second part. j.j. abram said if they do, it will be on the same incident and time of attack but from another camera.... so it will be like this one but from a different point of view. i hope they'll give us more insight about it all. cause the flick still leaves you with a whole bunch of questions.
  • Not at all!! :)

I haven't seen anything of the monster yet, all we've had over here is a few trailers/teasers with nothing really clear as to what it is or what it looks like...

To be honest I don't think i'd wanna know til I see the movie anyway... adds to the suspense!

Ohh I can't wait!!! :D:D:D
    totally... enjoy it. cause movies like this don't come around too often... probably till another generation.

although if you haven't seen the Host... i recommend it too. it's not as intense but still worth a watch.
  • AllIAmAllIAm Posts: 1,309
    i saw this movie on saturday and im still thinking about it on Wednesday.. so i must have liked it. well either that or it scared me shitless. i have irrational fears of being chased so yea... i was having a heart attack.. not to mention the dizziness when it was all over... but at least he kept it authentic.

i think what i really love about this movie was not so much the movie itself but everything that has been surfacing the more research i do.. backstories, little easter eggs here and htere... this is why i love lost and jj abrams.. cause he makes you work for an answer.. and the more you find the cooler it is.

i heard that the last few minutes might segway them into a prequel as well.. cause they might show hwo the monster became what it is.. buuut if you were crafty enough to put some clues togehter.. you know the answer..

ps did anyone look up the characters on myspace.. its pretty awesome.. they are the characters, writing messages back and forth.. so you kind of get some backstory there too..
  • It happened before the credits rolled!! when they're on the ferris wheel, its only a split second, but when the camera is facing out to the ocean...well...you can see something.... All 5 of my friends missed it when we saw it, I was the only one that caught it.

I saw the movie last night and I missed whatever it is you're talking about. What is it? PM me if you don't want to give it away.
    By the way, I absolutely loved the movie, but my husband who is a huge horror film buff absolutely hated it! Go figure.
    "Those who dance are called insane by people who don't hear the music."
  • skinnylegs wrote:
    I saw the movie last night and I missed whatever it is you're talking about. What is it? PM me if you don't want to give it away.
    By the way, I absolutely loved the movie, but my husband who is a huge horror film buff absolutely hated it! Go figure.
    i'm a huge horror buff too.... evil dead, evil dead 2, the thing, the shining, suspiria.... they're all great flicks. but this one flick is completely all on its own and original. i feel like slapping your husband, if you don't mind. :D
  • AllIAm wrote:
    ps did anyone look up the characters on myspace.. its pretty awesome.. they are the characters, writing messages back and forth.. so you kind of get some backstory there too..
    you mind sending me a link to them?
    you mind sending me a link to them?

here start with Lily.. if you don't have an account you wont be able to see pictures and blogs and stuff.. if you look at her top friends they are all there.. its just weird.. and awesome

http://www.myspace.com/lily_ford

oh and the other thing i didnt really get... the last time they all signed on was 1-18-08 and i thought that was awesome and they were talking about the party being that night and they were all excited.. but in the movie the party was in May. and i know 100% that these pages were made by the people making the movie.. its jsut a weird inconsistancy
  • AllIAm wrote:
    here start with Lily.. if you don't have an account you wont be able to see pictures and blogs and stuff.. if you look at her top friends they are all there.. its just weird.. and awesome

http://www.myspace.com/lily_ford

oh and the other thing i didnt really get... the last time they all signed on was 1-18-08 and i thought that was awesome and they were talking about the party being that night and they were all excited.. but in the movie the party was in May. and i know 100% that these pages were made by the people making the movie.. its jsut a weird inconsistancy
    i just saw them... it's so weird. i guess they should've made the party take place on 1/18/08 so it could have shown some more consistency.

just to think about it... orson welles is a big contributor to this idea. they kinda tried making it look real... as if it actually happened. blair witch project tried doing the same thing. i remember months before the blair witch was released they'd done a documentary on the sci-fi channel about the video tapes that had been discoverred in burkittsville, maryland after the students had been "supposedly" gone missing in the woods. i actually thought it was real and a month before i'd gone to see the blair witch i still thought it had actually taken place. i think that's great story telling. when you actually make the viewers believe it's true.

i think cloverfield would've been a lot more successful if they hadn't even mentioned that it was about a monster. they should've made people think that it was like about some kind of war or something. it woulda totally surprised everyone.
  • i'm a huge horror buff too.... evil dead, evil dead 2, the thing, the shining, suspiria.... they're all great flicks. but this one flick is completely all on its own and original. i feel like slapping your husband, if you don't mind. :D

Oh no, no. Please feel free to slap my husband. I mean you have to be dead inside for that to not scare you.
    As a New Yorker, seeing buildings collapse, walls of smoke, destruction of NYC landmarks- it was all very anxiety-inducing for me. My heart was actually racing for a good 15 minutes. I can't remember the last time a movie did THAT to me. (I just read an article with the director who said New Yorkers were the only ones who complained about him destroying the Statue of Liberty.)
    And that's what I loved about it. It was so realistic. So maybe the plot of a giant monster destroying NY isn't something that could happen, but the way the people reacted was authentic. There were no jokes or stupid catch-phrases made. Great, great acting.
    "Those who dance are called insane by people who don't hear the music."
    skinnylegs wrote:
    Oh no, no. Please feel free to slap my husband. I mean you have to be dead inside for that to not scare you.
    As a New Yorker, seeing buildings collapse, walls of smoke, destruction of NYC landmarks- it was all very anxiety-inducing for me. My heart was actually racing for a good 15 minutes. I can't remember the last time a movie did THAT to me. (I just read an article with the director who said New Yorkers were the only ones who complained about him destroying the Statue of Liberty.)
    And that's what I loved about it. It was so realistic. So maybe the plot of a giant monster destroying NY isn't something that could happen, but the way the people reacted was authentic. There were no jokes or stupid catch-phrases made. Great, great acting.

yes i agree with you.. as someone who's father was in the 9/11 attacks( but is fine now) when i saw the first building go down i almost burst into tears. its very hard to see that. i wonder what the movie would have been like if i didn't know it was a monster flick. when the one guy said "oh my god its alive and its huge" yes i felt scared for them but we knew it was doomsday.

i think the thing that freaks me out the most about the movie is it was so realistic. they make plausible cases for how this could actually happen. i mean we don't know. look at things like giant squid or this new tadpole they found that was mega huge. sometimes things in life get so deformed that they are not to be believed. but thats what i love most about jj abrahms and crew.. they take things that normally you would say "oh come on" and they completely turn them around to have your heart beat a little faster.

all i know is this movie def had a big impact and im enjoying talking about it more and more. it really is a conversation starter.

this is def a spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen it but here are some theories on the monster.. i tend to believe the first one
    http://www.livemansion.com/MessageView.aspx?msgid=2570
  • AllIAm wrote:
    yes i agree with you.. as someone who's father was in the 9/11 attacks( but is fine now) when i saw the first building go down i almost burst into tears. its very hard to see that. i wonder what the movie would have been like if i didn't know it was a monster flick. when the one guy said "oh my god its alive and its huge" yes i felt scared for them but we knew it was doomsday.

i think the thing that freaks me out the most about the movie is it was so realistic. they make plausible cases for how this could actually happen. i mean we don't know. look at things like giant squid or this new tadpole they found that was mega huge. sometimes things in life get so deformed that they are not to be believed. but thats what i love most about jj abrahms and crew.. they take things that normally you would say "oh come on" and they completely turn them around to have your heart beat a little faster.

all i know is this movie def had a big impact and im enjoying talking about it more and more. it really is a conversation starter.

this is def a spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen it but here are some theories on the monster.. i tend to believe the first one
    i believe in the last two the most. i don't really understand the first theory.

can't remember where i read but j.j. abrahams said if they were to release a second film they'll make it from another video whose characters also were involved in the same incident. so you'll be watching the monster attack from in different areas. i think it's a great idea.
  • skinnylegs wrote:
    There were no jokes or stupid catch-phrases made. Great, great acting.
    that's true. there were no catch phrases. i didn't even realize it. not unless you'd consider "it's alive, it's huge." or "people are gonna wanna know.... how it all went down." as catch phrases. :o
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    I haven't seen it yet and I want to, but I was a little dissapointed to hear that the monster's on screen time is VERY limited. Maybe 5 mins? Is that pretty accurate?
    Brian
    NCBRI wrote:
    I haven't seen it yet and I want to, but I was a little dissapointed to hear that the monster's on screen time is VERY limited. Maybe 5 mins? Is that pretty accurate?

well a clear close up shot yes.. but trust me.. you will feel it compeltely throughout the whole movie. oh man can you
    i believe in the last two the most. i don't really understand the first theory.

can't remember where i read but j.j. abrahams said if they were to release a second film they'll make it from another video whose characters also were involved in the same incident. so you'll be watching the monster attack from in different areas. i think it's a great idea.

id be more than happy to explain what i got from it.. i just dont know if this is a "spoiler" kind of thread lol. its not giving away anything in the movie.. but it would take away from it if i said it.

i dont think i really like the idea of different locations and different people. i mean unless they are gonna show me certain things.. isnt it still just a bunch of people running? i dunno..
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    AllIAm wrote:

http://forums.pearljam.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=5124518
    Pearl Jam Message Pit - Reply to Topic

i think we are supposed to go with the first one.

after all, part of the viral marketing including a website of Tagruato, the company that had an oil rig named Chuai Station off the coast of New York...which was alluded to in your link.

haven't seen the movie yet....for those tht have, do they say why Rob was going to Japan? because i remembering reading somewhere that he was leaving to join Tagruato.

something interesting...Slusho has made it's way into most of Abrams projects, at least those on tv. i think the first mention of it was on Alias.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
    brainofPJ wrote:
    http://forums.pearljam.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=5124518
    Pearl Jam Message Pit - Reply to Topic

i think we are supposed to go with the first one.

after all, part of the viral marketing including a website of Tagruato, the company that had an oil rig named Chuai Station off the coast of New York...which was alluded to in your link.

haven't seen the movie yet....for those tht have, do they say why Rob was going to Japan? because i remembering reading somewhere that he was leaving to join Tagruato.

something interesting...Slusho has made it's way into most of Abrams projects, at least those on tv. i think the first mention of it was on Alias.

yes thats what i think too.. i just didnt wanna spoil it for anyone. they never say the actual reason he's going... he got a job it says... but if you go to the myspace pages, there is blonde girl whos a little nutso and has a boyfriend named teddy.. she was at the party that night but teddy was not because he's off fighting with tagruato.. again you don't get this from the movie... only myspace.

yea it was only on alias.. it was never on lost.. and did anyone see that jason(the brother in the movie) was wearing a slusho shirt.. ahhh the connections.

well you obviously know a whole lot of background.. i would love to hear what you have to say after you see it.. i only found these thiings out after seeing them. just for god sakes.. watch the last 5 min carefully and stay till after the credits!!!
  • AllIAm wrote:
    i dont think i really like the idea of different locations and different people. i mean unless they are gonna show me certain things.. isnt it still just a bunch of people running? i dunno..
    well, i'm guessing that they're probably going to explain more about how it arrived... and perhaps they will show how the monster is killed. but that's just my guess.

i'm actually beginning to think that this movie is as fascinating as lord of the rings.... it's kinda like a fantasy... very dimensional.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I thought it was a great film. My wife, along with everyone else in the theater, hated it. I would really like to watch it again.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    I thought it was a great film. My wife, along with everyone else in the theater, hated it. I would really like to watch it again.
    what did they hate about it?
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    what did they hate about it?
    Everybody around us was bitching about the ending. I heard a lot say they thought it was the worst movie they'd ever seen.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Everybody around us was bitching about the ending. I heard a lot say they thought it was the worst movie they'd ever seen.
    most people just say that because there's a lot of hype put into the movies and they know there's a tons of fans so they like to play that part. kinda like the one guy who's never watched basketball but is rooting against the team that everyone in the entire room is going for. very very annoying. no logic behing it... it just is.

but i can see what people disliked about the ending... i kinda didn't like it either. but then all the better cause that means that there might be a part 2... :D