Options

CANKER SORES..wtf do I do?!?!?!

ucsbledbetterucsbledbetter Posts: 173
edited December 2009 in All Encompassing Trip
So I have pretty much been getting these little bitches since I was a young lad. I get them inside the mouth and I have been tested for STD's and that came back negative. People have told me that they may be related to food allergies. When eating things with salt or citrus it burns like crazy. My dentist gave me some antibiotic way back when, but that crap did not work. I have heard many different ways to try and make them feel better, so I am wondering if anyone out there gets them and what you do to deal with them. I have tried Zelactin to numb them and that seems to work pretty well. I have also tried Listerine and Hydrogen Peroxide. Any ideas???
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    There's a toothpaste that's supposed to control them. I belive it's made by Tom's of Maine. Not sure if it's any good.
  • Options
    taratara Posts: 293
    i've only ever had 1 or 2, can't remember why either, so i can't personally help you, but my mom gets them from eating walnuts, so it could be an alergy
    No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it.
    Albert Einstein
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    -Salt Water
    -Or a painfull way it to put something superhot on it. Hurts like a bitch, but it goes away.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    You should rub salt on them.
    :p
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    i get them pretty regular too. they're a pain. defiinitely cut back on anything acidic or citrus-y when you feel one coming on. in the meantime, yogurt helps. cottage cheese. there's something about the cultures in those two foods that helps put them away apparently. it's not foolproof and wont work instantly, but it will do the job. i felt one coming on recently and ate yogurt about 2-3 times a day and managed to stop it before it got going.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    oralgel
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    i get them pretty regular too. they're a pain. defiinitely cut back on anything acidic or citrus-y when you feel one coming on. in the meantime, yogurt helps. cottage cheese. there's something about the cultures in those two foods that helps put them away apparently. it's not foolproof and wont work instantly, but it will do the job. i felt one coming on recently and ate yogurt about 2-3 times a day and managed to stop it before it got going.

I forgot about that one. Those crazy cultures will help.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    I started a thread here once on this very subject. I get them occasionally too. They suck bigtime. They can even get to the point where the constant pain makes you cranky and irritable and depressed. You can't enjoy any kind of food, you can't talk without pain, you can't sleep at night. . .

I wish I had a solution. Nothing works for me except to just wait for them to go away. Usually takes a week or two.
    It doesn't matter if you're male, female, or confused; black, white, brown, red, green, yellow; gay, lesbian; redneck cop, stoned; ugly; military style, doggy style; fat, rich or poor; vegetarian or cannibal; bum, hippie, virgin; famous or drunk-you're either an asshole or you're not!

-C Addison
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    So I have pretty much been getting these little bitches since I was a young lad. I get them inside the mouth and I have been tested for STD's and that came back negative. People have told me that they may be related to food allergies. When eating things with salt or citrus it burns like crazy. My dentist gave me some antibiotic way back when, but that crap did not work. I have heard many different ways to try and make them feel better, so I am wondering if anyone out there gets them and what you do to deal with them. I have tried Zelactin to numb them and that seems to work pretty well. I have also tried Listerine and Hydrogen Peroxide. Any ideas???

Just got to a pharmacist and tell them what you have and they will give you what you need. Unless you live in a country with stupid laws that require prescriptions. A dude I work with recently did this and they sold him a cream that cleared it up, cost him like $40 though.

My friend is training to be a pharmacist, she says they have to know everything. So if you go in and say "I have a bad cough from smoking" they got something for you. Pretty much anything.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    DinghyDogDinghyDog Posts: 587
    edited November 2012
    -
    Post edited by DinghyDog on
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Could be genetic and nothing you can do about it but.... to help, make sure you have plenty of vitamin C and loads of all the B vitamins. Other nutrients that are helpful are zinc, folic acid, iron, selenium, calcium. Good supply of all of these in your diet can really help with the recurrence of these ulcers. They really get you when your immune system is down (stress, illness, etc.)

Also use a toothpastes and mouthwash that it free from sodium lauryl sulfate. Studies have shown that sls can increase the rate of canker sores. Using sls free toothpaste can reduce recurrence and, when you do get them, they are less painful.

Always worth a try....
  • Options
    DinghyDog wrote:
    is it some kind of virus in you that causes it or what?

It's not a virus... it's some kind of reaction of your immune system. From what I understand your immune system thinks there are some weird foreign molecules that it thinks it needs to 'attack' when actually nothing is there and thus the white blood cells create havock and this forms the ulcers. Sorry.. not a very medical way to describe things!!
  • Options
    This is funny, let's see, malnutrition, check, poor hygeine, check, low vitamin C, check. And I've never had these canker sores.

http://familydoctor.org/613.xml

I guess that leaves, food allergies and menstrual periods. I eat MSG which I am allergic to, and red food dye as well. Well, I guess it does say, they don't really know why people get them.

You could always google "canker sores" ;)

Canker sores usually go away without any treatment. For pain relief, you can try taking ibuprofen (brand name: Advil) or acetaminophen (brand name: Tylenol). Other medicines, such as Anbesol, Oragel, Orabase and Zilactin-B, might keep your canker sores from becoming irritated by eating, drinking or brushing your teeth. You put these medicines right on the sore.

You can also mix equal amounts of Milk of Magnesia and Benadryl Allergy liquid. After it's mixed, you can swish a teaspoonful in your mouth for about 1 minute and then spit it out. If you do this every 4 to 6 hours, your canker sores may hurt less.

Some people think that sucking on zinc lozenges, taking vitamin C or vitamin B complex, using a sage-and-chamomile mouthwash or taking a lysine supplement helps their canker sores heal faster.

Crazy, Pharmacist told dude I work with they are oral herpes. So basically your SOL, just take some Benzocaine solution like Oragel to numb your mouth.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Crazy, Pharmacist told dude I work with they are oral herpes. So basically your SOL, just take some Benzocaine solution like Oragel to numb your mouth.

Pharmacist is wrong (or the dude you work with did not have canker sores). Canker sores are mouth ulcers on the inside of the mouth, not caused by a virus and are NOT contagious.

On the other hand...

Cold sores are caused by the Herpes Simplex virus and are usually on the outer edge of the lip or mouth. These ARE very contagious.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    Pharmacist is wrong (or the dude you work with did not have canker sores). Canker sores are mouth ulcers on the inside of the mouth, not caused by a virus and are NOT contagious.

On the other hand...

Cold sores are caused by the Herpes Simplex virus and are usually on the outer edge of the lip or mouth. These ARE very contagious.

Oh I see. Thanks for the clarification. I've never had either.

Interesting that this dude would have herpes, dudes the most religious guy I've ever met.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Oh I see. Thanks for the clarification. I've never had either.

Interesting that this dude would have herpes, dudes the most religious guy I've ever met.

This virus can lay dormant for years... most probably has been exposed to it as a child (like a lot of us!). It's not automatically sexually transmitted.

I've never had either and I certainly lack in all kind of nutrients and vitamins! An up to now (touch wood), cold sore virus hasn't woken up yet!
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    This virus can lay dormant for years... most probably has been exposed to it as a child (like a lot of us!). It's not automatically sexually transmitted.

True dat, guess he could have got it any way.
  • Options
    Dude, can you vouche for me, the next time someone says I never budge, or admit I'm wrong. Cause I'm pretty sure I just did.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Dude, can you vouche for me, the next time someone says I never budge, or admit I'm wrong. Cause I'm pretty sure I just did.
    :D:D:D:D:D

I'll have to remember that for the next 'discussion' on the MT! :D:D:D
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    :D:D:D:D:D

I'll have to remember that for the next 'discussion' on the MT! :D:D:D

See, clearly, my knowledge of this was limited, so I didn't push very hard. You sound well versed on it, so I'll take your word on it, for the sake of argument. If I ever cared enough, I'd look it up.

Good Work Redrock!
  • Options
    I never really cared about it either as I don't suffer from it (or anyone in my family). But a friend of mind has mega problems with cold sores (she's really run down, going through messy divorce, just got over - hopefully - breast cancer) and she was really upset of what people were saying.. even calling her 'unclean' and generally pointing the finger at her because of the cold sores (thinking they are only sexually transmitted). She was even trying to justify herself to me!!!!

I just felt compelled to clarify that bit... don't know why... just hate preconceptions.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    I never really cared about it either as I don't suffer from it (or anyone in my family). But a friend of mind has mega problems with cold sores (she's really run down, going through messy divorce, just got over - hopefully - breast cancer) and she was really upset of what people were saying.. even calling her 'unclean' and generally pointing the finger at her because of the cold sores (thinking they are only sexually transmitted). She was even trying to justify herself to me!!!!

I just felt compelled to clarify that bit... don't know why... just hate preconceptions.

I feel the same way man. I'm glad I know the difference now. Thanks.
  • Options
    you areyou are Posts: 1,651
    this may sound strange, and i don't know if it will help, but if i use crest toothpaste, the inside of my mouth burns and i start getting sores on my gums and the inside of my lip. i've never had a problem with canker sores so i don't know what to tell you there. anytime i get a bump on my tongue, like from a virus or something, i'll rinse my mouth out with hot salty water and it goes away within 24 hours. i hope you find something that helps!
    No need to be void, or save up on life...
    You got to spend it all
  • Options
    Dab them with BAKING SODA. It will taste awful, but it is an antacid and will neutralize the acid that is causing the ulceration and pain.

Trust me on this. It works.
    The kids of today should defend themselves against the Seventies Nineties.
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    EarthgirlEarthgirl Posts: 695
    i haven't read through all the replies, but when I have a canker sore I gargle with warm water and salt... and it always works. It usually takes a day or two for them to ease down.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Isn't the chicken pox, cold soars and herpes the same thing? Apparently most of us, some 90% have herpes. There's different strands of herpes and it flares up in some people more than others. Most people carry herpes, but it has no effect on them. I was told this my friend who's an E.R. doctor. He's either right or a very bad E.R. doctor.
  • Options
    When I was younger my sister and I would get them all the time. Usually more then one at a time. I always gargle peroxide and listerine, and salt water.

In the last 3 or 4 years I don't really get them anymore. Usually only when I bite my lip bad. I have one right now, which has been around for almost a week and sucks bad, but it was where I bit my lip.

Wish they had a cure.

I've also been told to not use paste style toothpaste, use the gels. But who knows.

I can handle a cold, but canker sores that's where the research should be!!!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    Hands boundHands bound Posts: 534
    Go to the store and get a small jar of alum. Put the alum on the canker sore and it will be gone tomorrow.

I used to get them when I was a kid and that's what my mom would do and it worked everytime.
    Underneath this smile lies everything
    all my hopes, anger, pride and shame...
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I used to work in a Pharmacy as a Tech way back when. They would always recommend this : http://www.dentist.net/gly-oxide.asp?source=nt

I'm not sure if you said you used this already ?
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers