Baseball's Hot Stove

Fighting HellfishFighting Hellfish Posts: 3,166
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
is just about ready to heat up. The trades and signings will probably start flying next week. First from the hot stove:

Sammy Sosa will play next year, but only if a team gives him $7 Million. Good luck with that Sammy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/11/02/sosa.future.ap/index.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    is just about ready to heat up. The trades and signings will probably start flying next week. First from the hot stove:

Sammy Sosa will play next year, but only if a team gives him $7 Million. Good luck with that Sammy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/11/02/sosa.future.ap/index.html
    See kids, using steroids will fuck up your brain.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    not to mention shrinking some personal parts..........
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • ok, we missed the first deal of the hot stove.

Brad Lidge goes to the Phillies along with infielder Eric Bruntlett for speedy outfielder Michael Bourn, right-hander Geoff Geary and minor league third baseman Mike Costanzo.

Great move for the Phillies. Brett Myers goes back to the rotation, and hopefully his ridiculously overworked September doesn't carry over into 2008
  • ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,015
    are the brew crew getting any aging starter to fit the no. 3 or 4 spot in the rotation teaching ben and yovanni how not to hurt themselves, and sitting back while their offense knocks the cover off the ball?
  • stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    a lot of big name 3rd baseman being thrown out into trade talks (and free agency). should be an interesting off-season. and lots of serious cash being moved around.
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    ok, we missed the first deal of the hot stove.

Brad Lidge goes to the Phillies along with infielder Eric Bruntlett for speedy outfielder Michael Bourn, right-hander Geoff Geary and minor league third baseman Mike Costanzo.

Great move for the Phillies. Brett Myers goes back to the rotation, and hopefully his ridiculously overworked September doesn't carry over into 2008

are you fucking serious?

Brad "hasn't been right head case since Albert mind fucked him" Lidge?

enjoy that 19 saves 70% save percentage he got last year

when will the Phillies learn?

there's a sucka born every minute

at least you'll have someone new to blame!

but i guess when your have the phillies bullpen, ron dibble would be an upgrade

704 save percentage was the worst of the 32 closers.
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • ok, we missed the first deal of the hot stove.

Actually the first significant deal was Renteria getting traded to the Tigers.
  • is just about ready to heat up. The trades and signings will probably start flying next week. First from the hot stove:

Baseball been very, very good to me. - Sammy
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Baseball been very, very good to me. - Sammy

Garrett Morris as Chico Esquela ... hilarious skit form the original SNL.

As far as Lidge is concerned ... damn ... his underlying numbers are still really good ...

Last year, struck out nearly 12 per nine innings, and a K/bb ration of around 4/1 ... HR rate was a little high ... just had some bad luck.

Change of scenery might do him good, but it might have been better for him to go to a bigger ball park rather than go to another band box, not that it was his choice.

Didn't the owner say at teh end of the year "I won't trade Brad Lidge"?
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Interesting rumor. Scott Rolen back to the Phillies. Just a rumor at this point
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    This is not related to a offseason move or rumour, but didn't anyone else hear that Tampa dropped Devil from their nickname, and are now the Tampa Rays.

They also changed their uniforms, dropping the green.

If you want to check them out, there are pics on MLB.com Tampa's page. I don't know if I like them.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • I heard that. i guess that player was right a few years ago. The Devil Ray player who was a born again Christion and said that the team would never have any success so long as it glorifies the Devil. Can't remember his name.

In Hot Stove news, the Mets/Torrealba deal has completely fallen apart, despite it being reported late Thursday that the deal was done

http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-spmets1117aa,0,6599370.story
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,769
    I heard that. i guess that player was right a few years ago. The Devil Ray player who was a born again Christion and said that the team would never have any success so long as it glorifies the Devil. Can't remember his name.

In Hot Stove news, the Mets/Torrealba deal has completely fallen apart, despite it being reported late Thursday that the deal was done

http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-spmets1117aa,0,6599370.story

No one that to the New Jersey Devils.
    I miss igotid88
  • How the Devils let Satan sign with the Islanders is beyond me.....
  • A couple of moves have come arcoss the wite today.

Kaz Matsui to the Astros for 3 years $15 million (very close, not finalized)

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/5340665.html

Troy Percival to the (They'll always be the Devil) Rays for 2 years $8 million. Wow, a team who doesn't spend any money drops $4 million on a reliever who missed half of 2005 and all of 2006. he's the kind of guy you invite to camp, not guarantee that kind of scratch to. He'll be another guy who found magic pitching under Dave Duncan, and ran for the money and won't do nearly as good.

Kenny Rogers back to the Tigers for 1 year, rumored to be for $8 mil

Yorvit Torrealba back to the Rockies for 2 years, $7 million. Torrealba wants to sue the Mets because his contract with them fell apart. The Mets blamed it on his physical, which he says was fine.
    Well, the Tiger just got a *lot* better, now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Florida Marlins and Detroit Tigers have agreed in principle on a trade that will send Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis to Detroit for key prospects, sources told ESPN's Peter Gammons on Tuesday.

The Tigers would send outfielder Cameron Maybin, pitcher Andrew Miller, catcher Mike Rabelo and minor league pitchers Eulogio De La Cruz, Dallas Trahern and Burke Badenhop to the Marlins
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everyone's been saying Miller is going to be a stud. And Maybin. And I think these were the two best prospects the Tigers had ... still tihnk the Marlins would have rather dug into Anaheim's stash of youngsters.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    jimed14 wrote:
    Well, the Tiger just got a *lot* better, now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Florida Marlins and Detroit Tigers have agreed in principle on a trade that will send Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis to Detroit for key prospects, sources told ESPN's Peter Gammons on Tuesday.

The Tigers would send outfielder Cameron Maybin, pitcher Andrew Miller, catcher Mike Rabelo and minor league pitchers Eulogio De La Cruz, Dallas Trahern and Burke Badenhop to the Marlins
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everyone's been saying Miller is going to be a stud. And Maybin. And I think these were the two best prospects the Tigers had ... still tihnk the Marlins would have rather dug into Anaheim's stash of youngsters.

i saw that. im a little uncertain. granted, their lineup is about to be the scariest batting lineup in baseball. but given the number of problems they had with their pitching rotation last year, giving up miller and de la cruz seems dicey.
  • chikevinchikevin Posts: 421
    i saw that. im a little uncertain. granted, their lineup is about to be the scariest batting lineup in baseball. but given the number of problems they had with their pitching rotation last year, giving up miller and de la cruz seems dicey.
    generally pitchers that go from the NL to the AL tend to do worse (If you question the idea of this, look at ted lilly going from the NL to the AL...plus, there's more examples...)
    but, as a white sox fan, fuckin' a....these guys are now in your division? plus, johan santana will stay in the AL?
    christ...
    keep joe crede, trade him....keep josh fields, trade him...keep/trade those young pitchers...lance broadway, gio gonzales, john denks....

doesn't matter what the white sox do....
    this trade makes the white sox irrevelant this year.
    sigh...

they are definately playing for NOW ... they just have to stay healthy. They need Verlander to stay Verlander and not become a Bonderman ... and Bonderman to finally put it all together ... I don't see Willis being as dominating in the AL, and while Comerica Park is big, leaving where the fish played can't help his numbers.

I agree ... if the Sox get Santana, they are far more geared for a playoff run with their staff ...well, depending on what they give up.

jimed14 wrote:
    they are definately playing for NOW ... they just have to stay healthy. They need Verlander to stay Verlander and not become a Bonderman ... and Bonderman to finally put it all together ... I don't see Willis being as dominating in the AL, and while Comerica Park is big, leaving where the fish played can't help his numbers.

I agree ... if the Sox get Santana, they are far more geared for a playoff run with their staff ...well, depending on what they give up.

yeah, i'll be interested to see how this season plays out for them. robertson and rogers need to stay healthy and bonderman needs to stay consistent. sheffield staying healthy would be good too.
    chikevin wrote:
    generally pitchers that go from the NL to the AL tend to do worse (If you question the idea of this, look at ted lilly going from the NL to the AL...plus, there's more examples...)

3 words ... Chan ... Ho .... Park.

• this looks to be one of those trades where both teams win. Cabrera is a top 10 hitter in MLB, and just 24. I'm not high on Willis though. And the Marlins got a major haul. Miller and Maybin look to be top notch players, and that's not even counting the other 4. Magglio, Granderson, and Cabrera (if they put him in the OF) is an amazing outfield trio. Plus Sheffield as a DH/4th OF? Sick
  • Now there are rumors that Detroit is offering Dontrelle to the Mets, but the kicker is that they would also have to take Ivan Rodriguez and his $13 million owed in any deal. Pudge aslo has a full no trade, so there is speculation it will take another year or 2 added to his deal to make it happen. No word on who the Tigers want back
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    they would also have to take Ivan Rodriguez and his $13 million owed in any deal.

is this the way the Tigers keep Inge ?

move him back behind the plate
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • how is he defensively? I was thinking today a team should trade for him to play 3rd and be their bakup catcher. He could catch once a week. Wonder why the Tigers didn't do that with him.
  • sounds like Anduw Jones is LA Bound. Reported 2 years and $36 million. Not bad for a guy who hit @.220 last year. I thought he'd be a great 1 year reclamation project for someone, interesting they went 2
  • how is he defensively? I was thinking today a team should trade for him to play 3rd and be their bakup catcher. He could catch once a week. Wonder why the Tigers didn't do that with him.

Mainly because the Tigers didn't have anyone else that could play 3B... and the Tigers already had 2 guys (Rabelo and Vance Wilson, who was hurt last year) who could back up Rodriguez.

Move Inge and get some bullpen help. Leave Cabrera at 3B... his glove is awful but it's not much worse than Inge's, and hitting 80 points higher in average makes it easier to swallow. Jacque Jones in left, Granderson in CF, and Magglio in RF. Renteria at SS, Polanco at 2B, Guillen at 1B, Sheffield at DH.

I don't mind the looks of that lineup.
  • that is a pretty scary lienup. Granderson could beome the top leadoff man in the game
    that is a pretty scary lienup. Granderson could beome the top leadoff man in the game

he was unbelievable last season. and such a class act to boot.
  • Hideki Matsui rumored to eb headed to te Giants.

Miguel Tejada rumored to be headed to the Astros.

Loduca close to signing with Toronto, to be their backup. Ouch