What book are you reading?

Comments

• PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    finished the dark tower and the ending wasnt as bad as i thought it would be but i cant help feeling roland had a much better story than the one we got. roland is one of my all time favorite characters and his story was no where near as epic or great as what it should have been.

reading the 5th harry potter book now.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    The Fellowship Of The Ring.
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Game Six.
  • MK1980MK1980 Posts: 291
    The man who would be king & other stories - Kipling
    How I choose to feel is how I am...I will not lose my faith, It's an inside job today.
    Manchester Aug 17th 2009
    Hyde Park June 25th 2010
    Manchester June 20th & 21st 2012
    Leeds July 14th 2014
  • skippybrewskippybrew Posts: 283
    finished the dark tower and the ending wasnt as bad as i thought it would be but i cant help feeling roland had a much better story than the one we got. roland is one of my all time favorite characters and his story was no where near as epic or great as what it should have been.

I just recently finished The Dark Tower too... I agree, it could have been better, but I do think the ending was pretty appropriate. Altogether, I think this story meant so much to Stephen King, personally, that he sort of forgot about his audience and wrote it just for himself - which I can actually appreciate on an artistic level...

Now I'm reading The Great Shark Hunt, a collection of articles and essays by Hunter S. Thompson. It is dedicated "To Richard Milhous Nixon, who never let me down." :twisted: Fuckin love HST.
  • Nowhere ManNowhere Man Posts: 345
    I just recently bought Hunter S. Thompson's "Hell's Angels" looking forward to reading it.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I just finished the Tammy Wynette biography and it was good, really sad - I didn't know much about her except she sang "Stand By Your Man."
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Enkidu wrote:
    I just finished the Tammy Wynette biography and it was good, really sad - I didn't know much about her except she sang "Stand By Your Man."
    A hair-dresser from Alabama.....prior to the singing correct??

I'm currently reading "1491"....it's a description of what the Americas were like prior to Chris landing in the area.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    tybird wrote:
    Enkidu wrote:
    A hair-dresser from Alabama.....prior to the singing correct??

I'm currently reading "1491"....it's a description of what the Americas were like prior to Chris landing in the area.

Yep, she was a hairdresser. I'm listening to D-I-V-O-R-C-E right now. It's so weird.

1491 sounds great.
  • George Carlin : Last words
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Dragons of the Hourglass Mage - Margaret Weis

Sometimes a Great Notion - Ken Kesey

Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 - HST
    #FHP
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    finally under the dome has come back into the library. so thats what im reading.

dohhhhhhme.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I am reading : DEL AMOR Y OTROS DEMONIOS by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
  • Mark Z. Danielewski -- Only Revolutions

Basically, it's one story told from two perspectives and you have to read 8 pages going from front to back, then flip the book over, turn it upside down and read 8 pages going from back to front in order to make sense of the first 8 pages. To understand either version of the book, you need to read them both in parallel in 8-page segments.There is some text written right side up and some written upside down on each page, so they eventually meet in the middle and then overlap from cover to cover.

The book has two front covers, two title pages, etc., making it entirely circular. When you get to the "end", it pretty much invites you to start over, reading it in the opposite direction from which you read it the first time. There's also a running list along the margins of historical events and obscure references to things that happened on particular dates along a timeline going back about 150 years and reaching 50 years into the future.

It's an extremely avant-garde typographic experiment and I'm loving every page of it, even though I'm certain I could never fully understand it.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • Just finished;

Post Office - Charles Bukowski
    Animal Farm - George Orwell

Gonna start;

A Storm Of Swords - George R.R. Martin
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    finished the dome. i do so love stephen kings non horror... as i class this book to be.

am now reading steppenwolf - hermann hesse.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Just finished;

'It began as a mistake'. :P
    Wild Grass: Three Portraits of Change in Modern China
    Ian Johnson

CHN215.jpg
    Horos wrote:

I started this but didn't finish it. It's not an easy read. I still wanna finish it at some point though.
  • NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    Still reading Shantaram from Gregory Roberts, still good
    otherwise :
    Atmospheric Sciences
    and
    The Five Senses by Michel Serres
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    Just finished;

Animal Farm - George Orwell

Gonna start;

A Storm Of Swords - George R.R. Martin

I bought "A Game of Thrones" over the weekend because I have heard such good things about this series. I am going to start it when I finish "The Girl Who Played With Fire".
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images ... 625977.jpg

Ephraim Katz - Film Encyclopedia: The Complete Guide to Film and the Film Industry

love it..
    wah
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Horos wrote:

I started this but didn't finish it. It's not an easy read. I still wanna finish it at some point though.
    I finished the other and I am only reading this now. Took a little while to follow but once I was in a ways things became clearer. Probably helps that I live in the area the book is set.
    #FHP
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    When Smoke Ran Like Water by Devra Davis
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Just read 'Punisher-In The Beginning' by Garth Ennis, Lewis Larosa and Tom Palmer \m/

And as for prose, I am currently reading 'The Road To Nab End' by William Woodruff
    Stand for something or you'll fall for anything (Skindred-Stand For Something)
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890
    just finished The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.

It was pretty depressing throughout but when I finished it, it was satisfying. :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:
    just finished The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.

It was pretty depressing throughout but when I finished it, it was satisfying. :mrgreen:

I LOVED that book! Definitely something different.

An additional note: I'm a sucker for depressing stuff, haha.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • MK1980MK1980 Posts: 291
    Just finished 'one flew over the cuckoo's nest' ken kesey

amazon yesterday delivered Where men win glory - jon krakauer. Glad it is so thick, means it will last a bit longer than other books:)
    How I choose to feel is how I am...I will not lose my faith, It's an inside job today.
    Manchester Aug 17th 2009
    Hyde Park June 25th 2010
    Manchester June 20th & 21st 2012
    Leeds July 14th 2014
  • skippybrewskippybrew Posts: 283
    Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson - about the history and variations on the English language (and language in general).

And a Horror anthology that starts with H.P. Lovecraft's essay about "weirdly horrible" literature, and filled with the likes of Ambrose Bierce, Robert Louis Stevenson, Edgar Allen Poe, Rudyard Kipling and even Charles Dickens..
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    Blockade Billy- Stephen King
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."