What book are you reading?

Comments

• i thought instead of creating a new thread maybe i could get an answer here - its the book i would like to be reading ...... Layne Staley - Angry Chair. I have been looking for it and the only place i have seen it is Amazon for like $250.00. Is it a super limited print??

Anyway the book i am reading is Zen and the Art of Motorcylce Maintenance.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    oona left wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    Started "The Tommyknockers" today.

I was just thinking last night that that's one of the ones I have not yet read.

This is the second time I'm reading it. I read it in high school about 15 years ago. I was on a train and a girl was reading it and she said it was one of her favorite books. I don't remember liking it that much but maybe it will be better the second time.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
    Flagg wrote:

I am also trying to recall if Rose Madder had a small link with those two books as well? After having read Dreamcatcher I had NO desire to see the movie...started off well and then just fell off. Different Seasons is worth giving a second read or so to. I love those stories.

Gerald's Game and Dolores Claiborne are linked. I don't think Rose Madder has any link to anything other than the Dark Tower.

I think on his recent tour King mentioned that he thought there would be another "eclipse" book. He also had a poll on his website asking people to vote on his next book: another Dark Tower book or a sequel to The Shining called "Dr. Sleep". I think "Dr. Sleep" won.
  • rrivers wrote:
    oona left wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

I was just thinking last night that that's one of the ones I have not yet read.

This is the second time I'm reading it. I read it in high school about 15 years ago. I was on a train and a girl was reading it and she said it was one of her favorite books. I don't remember liking it that much but maybe it will be better the second time.

I didn't care for "The Tommyknockers". I read an interview with King once where he said he had almost no memory of writing the book but he spent most of the time with tissues stuffed up his nose...so in essence the book is all about wanting more coke.
    Flagg wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

I have read "Rage". I read it a couple of times, I think. I lost my Bachman Books at some point.

Cool. I still think my favorite Bachman book is Roadwork. But The Long Walk is awesome too. I know someone was trying to make that into a movie but not sure what happened to it.

I think King has really rebounded with his last couple of books (Duma Key and The Dome). I was starting to lose faith after Dreamcatcher.

I think Frank Darabont was going to adapt "The Long Walk".

I was just thinking last night that that's one of the ones I have not yet read.[/quote]

This is the second time I'm reading it. I read it in high school about 15 years ago. I was on a train and a girl was reading it and she said it was one of her favorite books. I don't remember liking it that much but maybe it will be better the second time.[/quote]

I didn't care for "The Tommyknockers". I read an interview with King once where he said he had almost no memory of writing the book but he spent most of the time with tissues stuffed up his nose...so in essence the book is all about wanting more coke.[/quote]

Yeah I think he said that about "Cujo" in his "On Writing" book.
  • Oh maybe it was "Cujo" :oops:
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    Reading "The Great Gatsby" for my English class and really actually liking it so far (aside from the shitload of work my teacher is giving us on it!)
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    i thought instead of creating a new thread maybe i could get an answer here - its the book i would like to be reading ...... Layne Staley - Angry Chair. I have been looking for it and the only place i have seen it is Amazon for like $250.00. Is it a super limited print??

Anyway the book i am reading is Zen and the Art of Motorcylce Maintenance.

I think I own that book, PM me to remind me and I'll check when I am at home
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    reading Into Thin Air by John Krakauer now
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • samjam wrote:
    Reading "The Great Gatsby" for my English class and really actually liking it so far (aside from the shitload of work my teacher is giving us on it!)

One of my favourite high school reads.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • skippybrewskippybrew Posts: 283
    I'm reading the last of the Dark Tower (Stephen King) books right now... Not sure how I feel about the direction he took it. I'm about halfway through. We'll see.
  • Great to see such an honest list, instead of people lying and saying they're reading Russian philosophy!!! :lol:

I'm reading "Under The Dome" by King at the moment and loving it. Right back to his best with this book. Been disappointed with the last two I read - 'Cell' was really patchy and had a ridiculous, rushed ending. 'Lisey's Story" is the only King book I gave up on. Man, that was fucking awful reading.
    It's gonna be a glorious day...
    I read "Under the Dome" just a few weeks ago. I agree, it's sort of a return to form for him. Remarkably quick read for being (roughly) 100,000,000 pages... :lol:
    Oh maybe it was "Cujo" :oops:

Yeah, he said something to the effect: "It's too bad I don't remember it. There are some things in it I would have really enjoyed writing."
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Country Driving: A Journey Through China from Farm to Factory
    Peter Hessler

9780061804090.jpg
    skippybrew wrote:
    I'm reading the last of the Dark Tower (Stephen King) books right now... Not sure how I feel about the direction he took it. I'm about halfway through. We'll see.

Yeah I know what you mean.
    skippybrew wrote:
    I read "Under the Dome" just a few weeks ago. I agree, it's sort of a return to form for him. Remarkably quick read for being (roughly) 100,000,000 pages... :lol:

Yeah it didn't take me that long either.
  • Great to see such an honest list, instead of people lying and saying they're reading Russian philosophy!!! :lol:

But I AM reading Russian philosophy! Honest! :mrgreen:
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • craigbcraigb Posts: 806
    Coming Up For Air - George Orwell
    "Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    skippybrew wrote:

im also reading this. only about 200 pages in. well soon i will find out if the series was worth it.

it seems so much of the series could have easily been better, but maybe the ending will pay off. but my general feeling with king is the journey is better than the destination. ive read very few king books that when the ending came i was impressed. they usually leave me feeling flat, like ok....so thats the ending??? and im pretty much expecting this one to do the same, which will make this series a disappointment cause in this case some of journey was less exciting than average. like the wolves of calla i really feel that was over drawn, that book could have been half the size and told the same story. oddly the idea of the story was one of my favorites of the series, one of the few actually moments that capture the fantasy/western angle that got me interested in the series to begin with.
    craigb wrote:
    Coming Up For Air - George Orwell

I love Orwell's essays.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    Getting ready to start....

Chariots_Of_The_Gods.jpg

by Erich Von Daniken
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

gleemonex wrote:
    Just finished Zeitoun by Dave Eggers. It's about a Syrian-American in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina who floats around the city in a canoe helping people before being falsely arrested and imprisoned. I found it to be more heartbreaking and staggering than Eggers' work of genius.

This looks good. I'll get the paperback edition when it comes out in June.

Good article here on Eggers and 'Zeitoun': http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/ma ... ne-katrina
    skippybrew wrote:

im also reading this. only about 200 pages in. well soon i will find out if the series was worth it.

it seems so much of the series could have easily been better, but maybe the ending will pay off. but my general feeling with king is the journey is better than the destination. ive read very few king books that when the ending came i was impressed. they usually leave me feeling flat, like ok....so thats the ending??? and im pretty much expecting this one to do the same, which will make this series a disappointment cause in this case some of journey was less exciting than average. like the wolves of calla i really feel that was over drawn, that book could have been half the size and told the same story. oddly the idea of the story was one of my favorites of the series, one of the few actually moments that capture the fantasy/western angle that got me interested in the series to begin with.

I agree with you. The series had some awesome moments, but I was disappointed in the ending (as I imagine you will be).

You are right about Wolves of the Calla. I thought it was a great idea, but it just went on too long. He could have had the big fight in the middle and then told more of the story moving past the town. It was kind of a microchism of the entire series: a great idea that just didn't come through. (A kind of knight moving through a "world that has moved on") It was perfect for King's imagination. Having himself as a character was really when things went off the rails for me. There was a lot to like in it, don't get me wrong.

You are right about King and endings. His short story endings seem to be a lot better for the most part. It seems like he always blows up something at the end (usually a town). Off the top of my head, "Pet Sematary" was one I liked.
    rrivers wrote:
    skippybrew wrote:

I agree with you. The series had some awesome moments, but I was disappointed in the ending (as I imagine you will be).

You are right about Wolves of the Calla. I thought it was a great idea, but it just went on too long. He could have had the big fight in the middle and then told more of the story moving past the town. It was kind of a microchism of the entire series: a great idea that just didn't come through. (A kind of knight moving through a "world that has moved on") It was perfect for King's imagination. Having himself as a character was really when things went off the rails for me. There was a lot to like in it, don't get me wrong.

You are right about King and endings. His short story endings seem to be a lot better for the most part. It seems like he always blows up something at the end (usually a town). Off the top of my head, "Pet Sematary" was one I liked.

Okay, got like 100 pages left (and notice I'm on here instead of racing to finish it...) and I'm fully prepared to be underwhelmed. I agree about his choice to write himself in (I didn't want to give too much away). I get the feeling that this whole saga is more for himself than any of his audience - which I can respect on an artistic level - but I've invested so much time it feels like a cop out.

I also fully agree about his endings. He's a brilliant story teller and has some really good ideas but he doesn't know how finish one. "The Stand" comes to mind (spoiler alert): it's epic, masterfully written, lots of good characters and development, there are battles lost and won, people fight and overcome! Legends are made! And then... poof... The hand of god comes down and basically kills everyone. If I remember right the line is "It even looked like a hand!" Come on, Steve. Really?

Oh well. I'll still read what he writes if for no other reason than because he seems to believe in it. And all in all he spins a pretty good yarn.
    skippybrew wrote:
    skippybrew wrote:
    with.

Okay, got like 100 pages left (and notice I'm on here instead of racing to finish it...) and I'm fully prepared to be underwhelmed. I agree about his choice to write himself in (I didn't want to give too much away). I get the feeling that this whole saga is more for himself than any of his audience - which I can respect on an artistic level - but I've invested so much time it feels like a cop out.

I also fully agree about his endings. He's a brilliant story teller and has some really good ideas but he doesn't know how finish one. "The Stand" comes to mind (spoiler alert): it's epic, masterfully written, lots of good characters and development, there are battles lost and won, people fight and overcome! Legends are made! And then... poof... The hand of god comes down and basically kills everyone. If I remember right the line is "It even looked like a hand!" Come on, Steve. Really?

Oh well. I'll still read what he writes if for no other reason than because he seems to believe in it. And all in all he spins a pretty good yarn.[/quote]

You're right on skippy. I am usually let down by his endings (actually by the endings of most books I read actually). But his stories are more about the journey. I've read that he doesn't outline most of his books and just writes them. That might be why his endings usually fall short.

You summed up my feelings about the Dark Tower. On one hand I feel like he has the right to do what he wants to with his story. On the other hand, I followed the story from the early 90s to the end and would have liked a better ending.

Still reading the Tommyknockers and enjoying it much more than I remember the first time.
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    "Moneyball" by Michel Lewis (I know, late to the party again).
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Finished Suspect by Michael Robotham and I am now starting the next book in the series Lost. I like the fact that each book has a different lead character, but all are involved. After Lost I have two more in the series to go until I am up to date.

Suspect was a good read, plenty of plot twists and kept me entertained for the limited time I read, usually 5-10 pages a night as I go to bed. So if you are looking for a crime drama series to get into I would recommend this one.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • LBCLBC Posts: 74
    Skin by Mo Hayder.
    A truant finds home