Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    saveuplifesaveuplife Posts: 1,173
    libragirl wrote:
    I just started reading A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose by Eckhart Tolle.

What did you think? I am almost done this book and thought it was excellent.
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    bovy_j wrote:
    Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk :)

Finally bought it yesterday and can't wait to get to it. He's a bit of a one trick pony, but he does it well.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    LindaLinda Posts: 1,656
    re-reading....Marisha Pessl - Special Topics in Calamity Physics...
    i'm not happy yet.....
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    smithnic wrote:
    Lolita ~ Nabokov

as well as When you are Engulfed in Flames ~ David Sedaris

I'm a little more than halfway through "Me Talk Pretty One Day". It's good and really funny.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    The Great Divorce by C.S.Lewis
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    rrivers wrote:
    He has a new book coming out in the fall called "The Hero" about Pat Tillman.

Can't wait to read it. His books are brilliant.

Reading Duma Key by Stephen King. So far, so good. But how can one go wrong with Mr King!! :)
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Getting Stoned with Savages - J. Maarrten Troost
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,399
    smithnic wrote:
    Lolita ~ Nabokov

Great book, one of my favorites (but I prefer Pale Fire)!

Right now, I am reading Vincent Bugliosi's The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder, as well as Euripides, "Hippolytus" and "The Bacchae."
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Dead Souls ~ Nikolai Gogol (1/2 way through ... really good)

... just finished King Dork by Frank Portman (young adult fiction recommended by a friend)
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    NothingSoundNothingSound Posts: 198
    3/4 of the way through John Adams. So much better then the HBO series.
  • Options
    lannerslanners Posts: 458
    rrivers wrote:
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Ok, so far. My wife loved it so I gave it a shot.

I didn't want to drink the Kool-Aid and hop on the Twilight bandwagon, but i needed something to read and aside from Harlequin Romances and outdated copies of Company's Coming cookbooks i found at the pharmacy, Twilight seemed like the best option.

Well, that was Tuesday night. I'm now finishing up the third book and have watched about 10 minutes of television all week. I don't know if i've ever been so sucked into a book before that i've forsaken the tv for so long.

Does it make me shallow and vapid to be so engrossed in a teen book? Frankly, I don't really care.
    i. am. mine.
  • Options
    lanners wrote:
    I didn't want to drink the Kool-Aid and hop on the Twilight bandwagon, but i needed something to read and aside from Harlequin Romances and outdated copies of Company's Coming cookbooks i found at the pharmacy, Twilight seemed like the best option.

Well, that was Tuesday night. I'm now finishing up the third book and have watched about 10 minutes of television all week. I don't know if i've ever been so sucked into a book before that i've forsaken the tv for so long.

Does it make me shallow and vapid to be so engrossed in a teen book? Frankly, I don't really care.

That's cool that you liked it. I thought the first book was ok from the beginning but I was dying for it to end by 3/4 of the way through. The writing was terrible and it was way too much "I love him but I can't be with him but I still love him". I will not be reading anything else by her.
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    the book thief by markus zusak. just started it today but can't put it down. really different kind of book where the narrator is Death.
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,135
    The Ticket Out - about the the 1979 Crenshaw High School baseball team that included Darryl Strawberry.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
    Sandworms of Dune
    Alice in Wonderland
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,128
    The Two Towers......I've been telling myself I'm gonna read these books for years but I've only just got 'round to it :o
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    3/4's of the way through 'The Clinton Wars'
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    smarchee wrote:
    3/4's of the way through 'The Clinton Wars'

finished it, good job smarchee

now onto:

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    the kite runner

same week we went to see Don't fight the Zohan

one extreme to the other.

ha!
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    easy reading here....Bill Bryson, Notes from a small Island.

Started it ages back, got side tracked by one or two others, but that's the beauty of this type of book, you can put it down for a while and just pick back up.....coffee table book almost. It's an amusing account of Brysons journey around the UK by public transport, he makes some very wry observations :)
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    jamie uk wrote:
    easy reading here....Bill Bryson, Notes from a small Island.

Started it ages back, got side tracked by one or two others, but that's the beauty of this type of book, you can put it down for a while and just pick back up.....coffee table book almost. It's an amusing account of Brysons journey around the UK by public transport, he makes some very wry observations :)
    oh cool jamie. bryson is a good read. have you read him before?

anyhoo...

for uni:
    portrait of a lady - henry james
    walden - thoreau

for fun:
    the god delusion - richard dawkins
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812

Yes I read '....thunderbolt kid' last year on my holidays, it was a wonderful read, I enjoyed every page :)
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170

anyhoo...

for uni:
    portrait of a lady - henry james
    walden - thoreau

for fun:
    the god delusion - richard dawkins
    How do you feel about Dawkins?

Myself, I'm reading Murakami's Norwegian Wood.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    How do you feel about Dawkins?

Myself, I'm reading Murakami's Norwegian Wood.

hes very opinionated. but thats ok, cause so am i. and hes an atheist which i am too. :D

ive read norwegian wood. based purely on the fact that its one of my fave beatles songs. same reason i read coupland's eleanor rigby. also read murakami's wind up bird chronicles. next one of his ive got lined up is kafka on the shore
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    hes very opinionated. but thats ok, cause so am i. and hes an atheist which i am too. :D

ive read norwegian wood. based purely on the fact that its one of my fave beatles songs. same reason i read coupland's eleanor rigby. also read murakami's wind up bird chronicles. next one of his ive got lined up is kafka on the shore
    Yeah, he is that :p I'm an atheist too, albeit a marginally less arrogant one than Dawkins, but something about him annoys me. Like he almost makes me want to defend believers... ALMOST :)

I think it's the fact that, whilst he is absolutely capable of deeper study, and is obviously extremely intelligent, he seems to think that even recognising theological works as worthy of a second glance would be giving them some kind of weight so he doesn't even bother referencing them. The God Delusion seems a bit over-simplified to me and very light on scholarly interpretations of theology and religious philosophy, which is probably what he's going for really, like a "I genuinely couldn't give a shit what Aquinas has to say, he was a christian writer and therefore beneath me" kind of thing. It just makes his arguments seem petty and narrow-minded. What I want is for the guy to beat the theologians at their own game :p

Anyway, I digress. Kafka on the shore is next on my list too :) I'm really enjoying Norwegian Wood.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Yeah, he is that :p I'm an atheist too, albeit a marginally less arrogant one than Dawkins, but something about him annoys me. Like he almost makes me want to defend believers... ALMOST :)

I think it's the fact that, whilst he is absolutely capable of deeper study, and is obviously extremely intelligent, he seems to think that even recognising theological works as worthy of a second glance would be giving them some kind of weight so he doesn't even bother referencing them. The God Delusion seems a bit over-simplified to me and very light on scholarly interpretations of theology and religious philosophy, which is probably what he's going for really, like a "I genuinely couldn't give a shit what Aquinas has to say, he was a christian writer and therefore beneath me" kind of thing. It just makes his arguments seem petty and narrow-minded. What I want is for the guy to beat the theologians at their own game :p

Anyway, I digress. Kafka on the shore is next on my list too :) I'm really enjoying Norwegian Wood.

well you know it doesnt matter to me what religious folks and scholars have to say. for me their belief is built on a faulty premise and thats all there is to it. i could dissect the bible until the day i die, its not gonna make a difference.

re:kafka.. let me know and we'll read it together. our own little book club. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,952
    I just started Whose Monet: An Introduction to the American Legal System.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan
    House of Chains by Steven Erikson
    Money: A Suicide Note by Martin Amis
    There and Back Again: An Actor's Tale by Sean Astin
    Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams

I can't pick one, so I'm just reading them all. Not at once, because that's impossible.
    When life gives you lemons, throw them at somebody.
  • Options
    the kite runner

same week we went to see Don't fight the Zohan

one extreme to the other.

ha!

What do you think of "The Kite Runner"? I liked it but I talked to a couple of people who really hate it. I thought it was well written but insanely depressing!
  • Options
    Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan
    There and Back Again: An Actor's Tale by Sean Astin

I read the first Wheel of Time book , but haven't gotten around to reading the other ones. Probably because it is such a big commitment.

That Sean Astin book made me hate him!!! He is such a whiner in that book! It's a shame because I was a fan of his before that book. I remember especially he was whining about the way Ian McClelan (sp?) and Warren Beatty treated him, but at the same time kissing their asses.