Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    intodeep wrote:
    Sci Fi junkies or anyone who has read them....

Which should i read
    Dan Simmons- Hyperion
    or
    Robert heinlein's- Stranger in a Strange Land

Dude, we swim in the same pool...too funny. I have both of those in my 'to read' bookcases. Look forward to hearing how you liked them.
    That is too funny! :ugeek:
    I'm leaning towards hyperion, but i heard hyperion has quite the cliff hanger so i know i'll have to read part two next if i do it.

when you say "to read" are you on the site www.goodreads.com ?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    intodeep wrote:
    when you say "to read" are you on the site http://www.goodreads.com ?
    librarything.com is where I keep my "to read" list. I don't know if it's the most user friendly site. I think it was created for librarians! But I have a lengthy to read list there and I might as well keep it.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    intodeep wrote:
    librarything.com is where I keep my "to read" list. I don't know if it's the most user friendly site. I think it was created for librarians! But I have a lengthy to read list there and I might as well keep it.

I have an Excel file with all my read and to read books. :ugeek: :fp: :D
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    kw18 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

I'll have to check out librarything.com

I really like goodreads a lot. You can interact with the authors and get tons of opinions/reviews on books. They have "clubs" you can join dedicated to genres and most of them have a book club that you can read along with and join the conversations. Yes i am a dork lol

You can also keep track of books you read and put them on virtual shelves like horror, zombie, fantasty or whatever you get to name them what you want. They also have a "To Read Shelf"
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    intodeep wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    Sci Fi junkies or anyone who has read them....

Which should i read
    Dan Simmons- Hyperion
    or
    Robert heinlein's- Stranger in a Strange Land

Dude, we swim in the same pool...too funny. I have both of those in my 'to read' bookcases. Look forward to hearing how you liked them.
    That is too funny! :ugeek:
    I'm leaning towards hyperion, but i heard hyperion has quite the cliff hanger so i know i'll have to read part two next if i do it.

I signed up for Good Reads at the urging of my brother's gf, who is another avid reader. We don't share tastes but the love of reading.
    I found, quickly, that she would ask me all sorts of questions about what I was listing there. I determined that I had no desire to interact with her any more than the 5 times a year I see her so I deleted my account. Dick move? yeah, maybe. But anyone that rains on my love for reading/escapism is voted off the island. ;)

It is a pretty cool site.

Never heard of the library one, maybe I will check that out.

When I wrote bookcases I really meant bookcases. I have 2 bookcases that are filled with books I need to read. Seems no matter how many I pull down and read I am always collecting more. Ever time I moved I gave away hundreds of books. Now that I own a house I have no idea what will happen. The thought of locking those 'friends' that I finished into a box in my garage is horrid and pretty much not going to happen. Can't be the only one with this problem!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    kw18 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

How cool, wish I had a true listing of all of the books I have read.
    (And a separate tab for the books that I killed at 100 pages for not peaking my interest enough to continue. Not a huge list but it would be cool to have.)
  • Options
    kw18 wrote:

How cool, wish I had a true listing of all of the books I have read.
    (And a separate tab for the books that I killed at 100 pages for not peaking my interest enough to continue. Not a huge list but it would be cool to have.)
    librarything allows you to make several lists, including owned, read but not owned, to read, wishlist (books you want to own). It sounds like goodreads might be more fun. librarything has a message board, I just never bother with it. I'm pretty sure they also have virtual book clubs. They will announce advance copies of books if you want to review them for the site. Also, they will suggest books based on your selections. But I kind of like the idea of grouping things according to genres at goodreads. Too lazy to switch now though. :lol:
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    I signed up for Good Reads at the urging of my brother's gf, who is another avid reader. We don't share tastes but the love of reading.
    I found, quickly, that she would ask me all sorts of questions about what I was listing there. I determined that I had no desire to interact with her any more than the 5 times a year I see her so I deleted my account. Dick move? yeah, maybe. But anyone that rains on my love for reading/escapism is voted off the island. ;)

When I wrote bookcases I really meant bookcases. I have 2 bookcases that are filled with books I need to read. Seems no matter how many I pull down and read I am always collecting more. Ever time I moved I gave away hundreds of books. Now that I own a house I have no idea what will happen. The thought of locking those 'friends' that I finished into a box in my garage is horrid and pretty much not going to happen. Can't be the only one with this problem!

No one should be allowed to rain on your reading parade :nono:

I have a few books on my physical shelf that i need to read (janny wurts i promise i'll get to your book soon i know you've been there for 2 years), but i just started reading a lot 3 years ago and i got a kindle so i do most of my reading on my kindle. It has a few books in it that need to be read :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

I have a few books on my physical shelf that i need to read (janny wurts i promise i'll get to your book soon i know you've been there for 2 years), but i just started reading a lot 3 years ago and i got a kindle so i do most of my reading on my kindle. It has a few books in it that need to be read :)

We have about 400 books (not counting graphic novels or coffee table books), and of those a bit more than half have been read by either myself or Afro. Our goal is to have every book read by at least one of us, and my own long-term goal is to personally read everything. It's going to be a long process, especially considering all the books we keep buying! :fp: :lol:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    kw18 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

We have about 400 books (not counting graphic novels or coffee table books), and of those a bit more than half have been read by either myself or Afro. Our goal is to have every book read by at least one of us, and my own long-term goal is to personally read everything. It's going to be a long process, especially considering all the books we keep buying! :fp: :lol:

I blame amazon....they just make it too easy to order books...and then they send you recommendations...book pushers! And then of course, we go to huge used book emporiums, barns, and compounds...it's not like we can just walk out of there empty handed... :oops: :fp: :lol:
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    kw18 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

I have bookshelves and a wishlist on alibris which im transferring over to the book depository. :mrgreen: ive also just discoverd that MIT put all their course notes, essay questions and text lists online, which has opened a whole new avenue for me in regards to reading... im now starting a world class education without the stress of grades or qualifications. ive just received book 4 of 5 of my first class. its awesome!!!.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    afroannnie wrote:
    kw18 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

I blame amazon....they just make it too easy to order books...and then they send you recommendations...book pushers! And then of course, we go to huge used book emporiums, barns, and compounds...it's not like we can just walk out of there empty handed... :oops: :fp: :lol:

I too blame Amazon! I put things on my wishlist as I discover them and my family ends up not knowing what to get me for birthday/christmas gifts and so they clear my list. It is nice of them to go overboard but I am guaranteed 40-50 books heading home with me every January and another batch for birthdays.
    [I love it of course and everyone always has easy things to pick from for gifts....]
    Of course I still buy for myself as well.
    Wish there were more used bookstores around. Used to get lost in those places as a kid and get 5 books for a buck and be in heaven.
  • Options

I too blame Amazon! I put things on my wishlist as I discover them and my family ends up not knowing what to get me for birthday/christmas gifts and so they clear my list. It is nice of them to go overboard but I am guaranteed 40-50 books heading home with me every January and another batch for birthdays.
    [I love it of course and everyone always has easy things to pick from for gifts....]
    Wish there were more used bookstores around. Used to get lost in those places as a kid and get 5 books for a buck and be in heaven.

We have an awesome used book store close to us...the last time we went there, we left with maybe 10-12 books... :fp: It's a good thing and a bad thing having a cool place like that near us...my bf and I don't have much self-control when it comes to buying books... :oops:
  • Options
    afroannnie wrote:

We have an awesome used book store close to us...the last time we went there, we left with maybe 10-12 books... :fp: It's a good thing and a bad thing having a cool place like that near us...my bf and I don't have much self-control when it comes to buying books... :oops:

My wife reads...but s-l-o-w-l-y. Probably lucky for us we would be in the same boat as you guys.
    My father in law told me last month he hasn't read a book since college. Shows how different some people can be - I cannot feel normal if I am not reading at least a little every day.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,492
    just finished this. my first lehane and I'm gonna get another.

3322cc2c2b9d6bc22452ce43401721e7.jpg

great book.....but what a fucked up ending.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I'm not looking forward to some of the reading this semester. Some of the books look dull to read.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    kw18 wrote:

157px-Gods_of_Mars-1918.jpg

It's pretty good so far!

Finished this up last night. Whoa, what a cliffhanger! I'm really getting into these books now ... it's hard to believe all the action and twists and turns Burroughs crams into each 175-page book. I suppose it makes sense, since each book was originally published as serials in a magazine. Even still, intense reads!

Now I'm on to the third book of the series:

the-warlord-of-mars-1st-edition-235x350.jpg
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    afroannnie wrote:

My wife reads...but s-l-o-w-l-y. Probably lucky for us we would be in the same boat as you guys.
    My father in law told me last month he hasn't read a book since college. Shows how different some people can be - I cannot feel normal if I am not reading at least a little every day.

I'm the same way...reading has been a part of my life forever...before I met kw, I was reading, but not as much as I used to....since we've been together we've both been reading so much more..it's nice :)

Yeah...it's amazing that there are some people that just don't read...at all. My work wife is like that. I tried to get her to at least read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (a must read for anyone in the science field...but everyone should read it regardless) and she wouldn't even read that :fp:
  • Options
    According to an e-mail that I just received from amazon....more books may be delivered to my house today... :oops: :shifty:
  • Options
    afroannnie wrote:
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (a must read for anyone in the science field...but everyone should read it regardless)

added to my amazon crack----errr---wishlist. :D
  • Options
    afroannnie wrote:
    According to an e-mail that I just received from amazon....more books may be delivered to my house today... :oops: :shifty:

WHHEEEE!! :D
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    afroannnie wrote:
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (a must read for anyone in the science field...but everyone should read it regardless)

added to my amazon crack----errr---wishlist. :D

:lol: :thumbup:

kw18 wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

WHHEEEE!! :D

:D:D
  • Options
    kw18 wrote:

Now I'm on to the third book of the series:

the-warlord-of-mars-1st-edition-235x350.jpg

Just finished this. Really good stuff! I have eight more John Carter books left, but as this last one didn't end in a cliffhanger, I'm going to take a short break to read this:

joyland_front_ltd.jpg.size-600.jpg
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    Finished this up yesterday..pretty good...i could see it being a twilight zone kind of movie...

?dm=GJ6U

Decided to finally read this....

and_the_band_played_on1.jpg?w=260
  • Options
    afroannnie wrote:

I read that when it first came out. I'd be interested to see how it's held up over time. It sure pissed me off when I read it.

Besides documenting the early days of the epidemic, it introduces you to the key players of the time, some good and some not-so-good. And some of them are still around.
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    afroannnie wrote:

I read that when it first came out. I'd be interested to see how it's held up over time. It sure pissed me off when I read it.

Besides documenting the early days of the epidemic, it introduces you to the key players of the time, some good and some not-so-good. And some of them are still around.

I read it when it came out too, but I'd like to read it again. I also remember being very angry.

I got the Manson biography but I'm afraid to read it. Will it be too scary?
  • Options
    Enkidu wrote:
    Is it the one by Jeff Guinn?
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Enkidu wrote:
    Is it the one by Jeff Guinn?

Yes. And I started it yesterday - very interesting so far, the music scene in LA in the '60s.
  • Options
    ozgurkdozgurkd Juneau, Alaska Posts: 434
    Sylvia Plath Ariel
    Living is no laughing matter: you must live with great seriousness like a squirrel for example - I mean without looking for something beyond and above living, I mean living must be your whole occupation.
    Nazım Hikmet
  • Options
    ozgurkdozgurkd Juneau, Alaska Posts: 434
    Sylvia Plath Ariel
    Living is no laughing matter: you must live with great seriousness like a squirrel for example - I mean without looking for something beyond and above living, I mean living must be your whole occupation.
    Nazım Hikmet