Options

Dave Letterman IS BACK!! With writters and a thick gray beard!!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,593
    mwilmot4 wrote:
    I thought Letterman was fantastic. I don't like Leno even with writers; He was a talented comedian, but his show is awful.

I've said this before - I understand that Dave is not everyone's cup of tea, but I can't see how anyone can prefer the Tonight Show over the Late Show.

Letterman's show gets old from time to time. He is the best interviewer of the three, but Letterman has some gags that won't end. Letterman's monolgoues battle Conan's for worst in late night. Jay's monologues usually have some decent stuff. I end up not watching either show, and watch Conan when it comes on.
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    You must not like humor (or at least consistent humor). Conan!

Letterman is consistent with the sardonic humor while Conan was consistent with the silly/goofy type humor until recently. To me Conan has slowly been declining ever since Richter left. Although he is far better than Ferguson or Leno.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,593
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Letterman is consistent with the sardonic humor while Conan was consistent with the silly/goofy type humor until recently. To me Conan has slowly been declining ever since Richter left. Although he is far better than Ferguson or Leno.

I would agree with most of what you say. I think late night tv goes through peaks and valleys. Letterman was sucking up until his heart surgery, then he came back and was doing huge for a couple years and then leveled off.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    mookie9999 wrote:
    The tonight show hasn't been good since Carson left. Plain and simple.
    That's a fact! Personally, I cannot wait for Jay to retire and for Conan to take over the Tonight Show. Only then will I watch the Tonight Show again. Of course I will have to DVR Conan's Tonight Show as Dave Letterman will always take precedence at the 11:35pm time slot.
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I feel like Leno is a show for my mother. Or grandparents. Jokes from the '50s. Bleh.

I thought Letterman was great last night. And I've never really watched Craig Ferguson, but his opening last night made me laugh out loud.
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    aNiMaL wrote:
    That's a fact! Personally, I cannot wait for Jay to retire and for Conan to take over the Tonight Show. Only then will I watch the Tonight Show again. Of course I will have to DVR Conan's Tonight Show as Dave Letterman will always take precedence at the 11:35pm time slot.

Definitely with you on the DVR. I've said it before, but I wish that Conan would bring the Tonight Show home to NYC. I know it wouldn't never happen, but a guy can dream right?!?
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    :eek: REALLY?!?!?! did they do "What is Hal wearing?" i'll have to watch when i get home......:D:D
    No, they did something like "Wasting time with Hal"

This is a segment they did on Late Night on NBC in 1988 when the WGA was on strike and Letterman (along with Carson) came back originally without writers. So, this time, even though Dave has all of his writing staff at work, they thought it would be fun to bring Dave's good friend Hal Gurney out of retirement to do that skit again. It really was just cool to see Hal in the control room again.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    aNiMaL wrote:
    No, they did something like "Wasting time with Hal"

This is a segment they did on Late Night on NBC in 1988 when the WGA was on strike and Letterman (along with Carson) came back originally without writers. So, this time, even though Dave has all of his writing staff at work, they thought it would be fun to bring Dave's good friend Hal Gurney out of retirement to do that skit again. It really was just cool to see Hal in the control room again.

well back then what is hal wearing was one of the "network time killers" that they did in absence of the writers.....anyway, it'll be good to see hal again...:)
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    well back then what is hal wearing was one of the "network time killers" that they did in absence of the writers.....anyway, it'll be good to see hal again...:)
    That's what it was - a Network Time Killer.

Maybe Hal will hang with Dave for at least this week (or as long as the strike goes on) and maybe we'll get a little of "What is Hal wearing".
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    are they still doing america's fastest growing quiz sensation? What about Will it Float??
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    uglybabouglybabo Posts: 518
    I guess not having writer's didn't matter.

Conan beat Craig as well.
  • Options
    mwilmot4 wrote:
    I guess not having writer's didn't matter.

Conan beat Craig as well.
    Give it a few days. People love to watch train wrecks - which is what Leno & O'Brian are without writers. Look for Letterman and Ferguson to reign at the top during the WGA strike with A-list guests and professionally written skits and jokes.

That said, unless you are a network exec or an advertiser, who gives a shit about ratings?