brutal honesty

senninsennin Posts: 2,146
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
Is there a place for it?

Besides in a veiled attempt at comedy?

Are people too sensitive to hear something brutally honest?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rvprvp Posts: 779
    brutal = no good
    honesty = good

why be brutally honest when you can be simply honest? why do some people feel the need to be brutal about anything?
    there should be no place for brutality imo...
    fuera de este mundo
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    If it will do “no good” to be brutality honest, then one should skip it I feel.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    first thing i thought of when i read this was the line from jerry macguire

"what did we say when we got together. brutal truth."

"i think you added the brutal."

the truth is the truth....brutal or otherwise....:)
  • sennin wrote:
    Is there a place for it?

I think it has a lot to do with the 'intent' of the person dishing out the information...

If you are expressing 'your opinion' to someone with the intent to 'hurt' them... I think it's best to hold your breath...

If you feel you can actually help someone by opening their eyes to something they are unable or afraid to see... in hopes of helping them... that's a different story...

People that keep things from others that they are supposed to care for ... to 'protect' them... often end up doing more harm than good...

I think honesty is the best policy... but I also know that when used as a weapon... Words can be sharper than rasorblades...
    Exercising her will to lose control...
    she lets go
  • It's good to be honest, even brutally honest but it depends how it's delivered. I think.
  • It depends on the intent, and how much knowledge one has of a situation. Too many people are ever-ready to dish out 'brutal honesty' just to give themselves a pat on the back: 'Aren't I wise and well-lived? I've seen it all. Let me impart my wisdom, oh weakling.' These people, more often than not, have not nearly enough information to offer a well-informed opinion. There are a few of such people lurking about here.

Brutal honesty is good, but the right to dish it out needs to be earned.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Brutal honesty is good, but the right to dish it out needs to be earned.

Best.Post.Ever - in my opinion.
  • It depends on the intent, and how much knowledge one has of a situation. Too many people are ever-ready to dish out 'brutal honesty' just to give themselves a pat on the back: 'Aren't I wise and well-lived? I've seen it all. Let me impart my wisdom, oh weakling.' These people, more often than not, have not nearly enough information to offer a well-informed opinion. There are a few of such people lurking about here.

Well Said!!

I think it's a good idea to try to imagine yourself walking a mile in someone else's shoes...

before offering your opinion on what a poor job they're doing wearing them...
    she lets go
  • jamainiac wrote:
    Well Said!!

I think it's a good idea to try to imagine yourself walking a mile in someone else's shoes...

before offering your opinion on what a poor job they're doing wearing them...

Again, that's great! I hate it when people judge others too quickly!
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Again, that's great! I hate it when people judge others too quickly!

Is this brutal honesty? :p

Funny how it works.

It seems you have to be brutally honest with those who are brutally honest with you....to get your point across.

...and I'm not talking about judging people.....I'm talking about being brutally honest with them.

You don't have to know someone to know that they are fat, smell bad, are rude, insert soemthing bad <here>.
  • sennin wrote:
    Is this brutal honesty? :p

Funny how it works.

It seems you have to be brutally honest with those who are brutally honest with you....to get your point across.

...and I'm not talking about judging people.....I'm talking about being brutally honest with them.

You don't have to know someone to know that they are fat, smell bad, are rude, insert soemthing bad <here>.

It's a great question but I'll have to get back to you on it. I've got one eye on the T.V. at the moment.

So much for women being able to multi task. :o
    Is being rude to someone who's being rude.....rude?

:p
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    sennin wrote:

i tend to treat people the way they treat me.....so if you're rude to me, expect it back....:)
  • sennin wrote:

YES! (I think so) I still do it though!
  • i don't think it's necessary to be brutal. only exception i can see is if the person is doing something that is causing physical harm to themselves or others, and attempts to point it out politely haven't worked. otherwise one can come off as some sort of omniscient jackass by being too heavy-handed

i try to treat folks like i would want to be treated, so just as i wouldn't want someone to intentionally hurt me, i wouldn't do it to them.
  • sennin wrote:

Yes... I'm not much for ...

'An Eye For An Eye'...

just because someone else does something doesn't make it onside for you to do...

I think taking the 'high road' in situations such as that is the best choice...

I'm more inclined to smother someone with kindness when they're being a ass to me... Back in my restaurant days I'm sure there were customers who wondered if I ever 'got' that they were being mean to me... If only they knew that everytime I said ...

'Certainly Sir'...

I really meant...

'I'd like to rip your f**king face off and s**t down your sorry throat'...

Just as well I don't work in the restaurant industry anymore... ;)
    she lets go
  • sennin wrote:

yes.

bad behavior is bad behavior.

if you hate something, don't you do it too. ;)

wise words.

It depends on the intent, and how much knowledge one has of a situation. Too many people are ever-ready to dish out 'brutal honesty' just to give themselves a pat on the back: 'Aren't I wise and well-lived? I've seen it all. Let me impart my wisdom, oh weakling.' These people, more often than not, have not nearly enough information to offer a well-informed opinion. There are a few of such people lurking about here.

wise words too. :)

i tend to be 'honest'....as much as possible. however, i try to leave the 'brutal' out of it.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• I think an honest "opinion" isnt soo brutal. :p
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    If I ask for brutal honesty then you can give it to me other than that keep your fucking/worthless opinion to yourself.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    sennin wrote:
    Is there a place for it?

Why the word "brutal"?

Honesty is honesty, when you add the word "brutal" you're bringing subjectivity into the equation.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
    know1 wrote:
    Why the word "brutal"?

Honesty is honesty, when you add the word "brutal" you're bringing subjectivity into the equation.

Yes honesty is honesty.....but there is more than one way to communicate honestly.

You could say, "Excuse me sir, but there is something off with the taste of my chicken. Can I get my check please?" (honest)

Or you could say, "Excuse me sir, but this chicken tastes like absolute garbage, is it even cooked? I'm never coming here again. Can I have my check?" (brutally honest)

Both could be the truth....it's the delivery that's different....brutal.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i suppose if people are brutally honest then it only hurts if you know they are right... otherwise why get annoyed about it?

i.e. dunk you are totally fucking crap at golf..

i'd agree with that

dunk you can barely kick a football and look like a drunk Heather Mills when attempting to do so... i wouldnt agree

does any of that make sense?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    dunkman wrote:
    i suppose if people are brutally honest then it only hurts if you know they are right... otherwise why get annoyed about it?

i.e. dunk you are totally fucking crap at golf..

i'd agree with that

dunk you can barely kick a football and look like a drunk Heather Mills when attempting to do so... i wouldnt agree

does any of that make sense?
    I get that man, I just wish you'd called for a kick around when you were looking around them castles......
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    jamie uk wrote:
    I get that man, I just wish you'd called for a kick around when you were looking around them castles......

i was with my family amigo or i would have... but i dont think Mrs Dunk would have enjoyed watching me half you and then blast the ball into a passing nuns fudd.

actually she might have ;)

come to the next London meet-up?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • "While using brutal frankness might be satisfying for the person using it since it tends to break down an issue into its raw components, using basic honesty gets the point across in a far more palatable way for the receiver. A person is more likely to process the information given to them if they're not already processing the rawness in which it was given and rankling because of it".

~Char McClary~
    http://www.helium.com/user/show/38105

... no idea who Char is... but I think she defines the two deliveries well :)
    she lets go
  • Honesty doesnt have to be brutal...it is only brutal if the intention was to hurt with your honest assessment or opinion...otherwise, you can be honest and not be a dickhead.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    dunkman wrote:
    i was with my family amigo or i would have... but i dont think Mrs Dunk would have enjoyed watching me half you and then blast the ball into a passing nuns fudd.

actually she might have ;)

come to the next London meet-up?
    I coulda gotten you into a 5 a side game, Tuesdays wouldn't be the same without me passing some poor bastards to death before I left their last man for dead, and screamed one into the keepers net via his face..! When is the London thing, I'll do it.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    sennin wrote:
    Is there a place for it?

Only if it's requested.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• I wonder what situation was in question when this thread was begun?
  • sennin wrote:
    Is there a place for it?

i'd rather hear the brutal honesty, instead of someone dancing aroudn the truth.

my ex did that to me and i will never forgive her for it. she is coward for not wanting to give me the truth.

just gimme some truth!