Options

All night, Education and Who You Are

2»

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,142
    I love how everyone always thinks the band must be on stage just for them.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    stranger34 wrote:
    I appreciate the band wanting to mix these in but to me I just don't want to hear these. They did a great job on All night last night, Ed was really into it but I just don't think the crowd outside a few loons on this board wants to hear All night or Education. Who You are is a little more legit; but it seemed like A LOT of people used that as their piss break song.

Love that they've brought Light Years back though. That song has always been top notch.

Stranger, you make valid points that normal sane people agree with, there aren't many here however :>) I agree they should shelf bad songs like Education that don't really go anywhere or do anything for songs that will get 24,000 people jumping around and having a blast. Education over "Go"? Really? I hate the portion of the PJ show that seems to drag the bulk of the crowd down, I take it personally as I take PJ personally. I want all 24,000 people thinking they just saw the best show ever done.

Of course everyone is free to their opinions.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    Stranger, you make valid points that normal sane people agree with, there aren't many here however :>) I agree they should shelf bad songs like Education that don't really go anywhere or do anything for songs that will get 24,000 people jumping around and having a blast. Education over "Go"? Really? I hate the portion of the PJ show that seems to drag the bulk of the crowd down, I take it personally as I take PJ personally. I want all 24,000 people thinking they just saw the best show ever done.

24,000 people thinking that isn't going to happen, so why worry about it?
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    you're a nut man =P

all night, education, and who you are would all be MAJOR highlights for me.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    24,000 people thinking that isn't going to happen, so why worry about it?

I want my friends to rave more about PJ than the the Foo Fighters concert. I am a big PJ fan.
  • Options
    vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 473
    stranger34 wrote:
    I appreciate the band wanting to mix these in but to me I just don't want to hear these. They did a great job on All night last night, Ed was really into it but I just don't think the crowd outside a few loons on this board wants to hear All night or Education. Who You are is a little more legit; but it seemed like A LOT of people used that as their piss break song.

Love that they've brought Light Years back though. That song has always been top notch.

I'm questioning your education

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    I want my friends to rave more about PJ than the the Foo Fighters concert. I am a big PJ fan.

Fair enough, but I have some friends who would rave more about Coldplay or Arcade Fire than they would about a PJ show. I already know they are on crack (musical taste-speaking), so it doesn't bother me.
    :)
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Blah Blah Blah...............words, words, words.

i dont care what they play! if i could exclude one song from my PJ concert experience, it would be corduroy! other than that, i dont care.

when i new album comes out, i would like to hear as much from that as they feel like playing. really though, i dont care. i just want to hear them play!
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762

It's a Pearl Jam show, though, not a juke box. And they aren't a party band. If the idea is to keep the entire arena "jumping around" and "having a blast" -- why not just play all hits, all the time?

I'll tell you why ... because if they did this, people would stop coming. The reason the bulk of us travel from show to show is for the different setlists and the propensity to play some deep, deep cuts. If it was a "keep everyone dancing" set every night, we'd quit going. And dancing.

I'm not saying every show should be jam-packed with rarities ... but can't we have a couple? I mean, I'm willing to give the casuals Evenflow, Alive, Better Man, etc. I can't have All Night?

And, since you asked, yes I'd rather hear Education instead of Go. I like the song better, I relate to it better, and I've heard Go a million times.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options

I don't waste much time wondering what my friends think.
  • Options
    jrdjrd Posts: 3,060
    stranger34 wrote:

i'll go against most people here... i could really do without Light Years... saw two shows in 2000, heard it twice and that's enough for me. sorry, it just does nothing for me at all...

All Night etc... yes please
    Oh yeah? Well, I've had about enough of morons and halfwits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells - and you chowderhead yokel, you blithering hayseed, you - you've had enough of me?
  • Options
    jrd wrote:
    i'll go against most people here... i could really do without Light Years... saw two shows in 2000, heard it twice and that's enough for me. sorry, it just does nothing for me at all...

but the lyrics are sooooooo fucking good.

How can they do nothing for you? Do you have no soul?
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    people love different songs for different reasons. but even if you *hated* all night, education and who you are, can you at the very least appreciate how they're pulling these songs out of their arsenal? if the casual fan doesn't get it...fuck them, they can go pee or get a beer or sit and spin, i'll be happy hearing this stuff!
  • Options
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    eh...i love all three songs...especially who you are - that is definitely one i would LOVE to hear.

i can see what you mean about education and all night though, especially education. great song - i love it - but i'm assuming <20% of the audience knows what it is...not that they wouldn't enjoy it, but still...
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Options
    stranger34stranger34 Posts: 235

good i'm glad someone else can see things from a broader perspective.
  • Options
    stranger34stranger34 Posts: 235
    drew0 wrote:
    eh...i love all three songs...especially who you are - that is definitely one i would LOVE to hear.

i can see what you mean about education and all night though, especially education. great song - i love it - but i'm assuming <20% of the audience knows what it is...not that they wouldn't enjoy it, but still...

I certainly don't mind hearing those but of 25,000 fans at Philly I think <20% is very high even. Id think around 10%
  • Options
    I wish I never opened this thread.
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense

9/28/05 Pittsburgh
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    8/2/07 Vic
    8/5/07 Lolla
    6/16/08 Columbia
    8/17/08 DC (EV Solo)
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,755
    stranger34 wrote:
    Who You are is a little more legit; but it seemed like A LOT of people used that as their piss break song.

who the fuck cares when other people use the bathroom? when ya gotta go, ya gotta go.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I've found that a lot of bands have B-sides which are obviously inferior to the album verions, but that's not always the case with Pearl Jam (although they do have some stinkers). Songs like Education and All Night may not be well known but they're still great songs that could have easily been proper album material.
  • Options
    stranger34 wrote:
    I certainly don't mind hearing those but of 25,000 fans at Philly I think <20% is very high even. Id think around 10%

But again ... who cares?

Maybe Ed should take a poll at every show as to what song they should play next: "OK, you got it, Evenflow ... again."

Seriously. I don't get it. It's not like the whole show was rarities. We're talking like three songs out of 28 or so. Cripes.
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    If you don't like it, stop taking up seats. :)