How long do you keep leftovers?

2»

Comments

• We keep leftovers about 3 days. Maximum of a week though. My wife cleans out the fridge every weekend, and any leftovers are disposed of properly. Usually we don't have a lot of leftovers as one of us will take the leftovers from the previous night's meal to work for lunch.

Good man. I hate wasted food.
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    until the percentage of surface area covered by mold is greater than that which is not covered by mold.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Good man. I hate wasted food.
    Yeah, me too. I can't stand to see something sit in the fridge and sour/rot/mold when it was a perfectly good meal a day or two ago. Besides, taking it for lunch is probably healthier than whatever else I would go buy (fast food most likely) and also saves some money.
  • Eating a used version of something I just had a day or two ago doesn't appeal to me.
    fuck the public
  • I usually make enough food to eat leftovers the next night and sometimes the night after that. That's the limit, though. (I did eat some turkey bacon in a salad yesterday that I had cooked on Saturday evening, and I felt like I was stretching that...but I haven't died yet so I think it was ok...lol.)

We used to be sooooo bad about wasting leftovers, but I work really hard to make our grocery money go as far as it can! We spend about $90 a week on groceries (for a family of 3) so I think we do pretty well. Also, I don't like to spend a lot of time cooking, so if I can cook about 3 or 4 times a week and eat leftovers other nights, I'm happy.
  • somnium wrote:
    Eating a used version of something I just had a day or two ago doesn't appeal to me.

Some things are so gross as leftovers, but I think some things get better the second day!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,810
    2-3 days depending on what it is

reminds me of a carlin skit:

is it meat?

is it cake?

I have no idea whatsoever.

Its MEATCAKE!
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    i usually give it 4-5 days. i take leftovers as my lunch almost every day so usually doesn't last too long!
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Depends on what it is. Stuff like Dal (Indian style lentils) will last 5 days or more, if you boil them well every day. Seafood shouldn't be kept more than 1 day or so. Stew will last 4-5 days, again if you boil it well each day. I learned this from my husband who grew up without a refrigerator - it is how they keep things from spoiling in Bangladesh.

I love having leftovers (usually big pots of soup that last for several days) because I don't like to cook, and don't mind eating simple food, or the same thing for several days. It is better than having to cook again.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • I had a roommate in univeristy that firmly believed in what he called "The Head Jerk Factor"

which means, if you can stick your nose over something, take a big whiff, and your head doesn't jerk back from the smell, then it's OK to eat.

i still use this method today... it seems to work. ;):D
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I keep them one day and then they're out. I normally won't even eat leftovers. Something kind of gross about it to me.
  • 36.01 dog years
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    36.01 dog years

Makes perfect sense.