What do you call the place where you buy your food?

Comments

• LOL! Oh my god, my husband was calling me Booger-Butt a year or so ago...lol. He's weird, too. :D I think you guys must be related or something. ;)

HaHa ! That's funny

Women don't usually have nicknames that much

Only for ceratin body parts :D
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    How long until Fanch chimes-in to say he buys Natty @ Thornton's?

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Either the name of the place or supermarket.

Grocery store makes me think of the 'grocer's' or green grocer's
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • wolfbear wrote:
    I usually call it by the name of the store I'm going to. Otherwise, just grocery store. :)

Ditto!
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    I was gonna make this a poll, but aborted the idea halfway through.

Anyway, I have noticed that my husband and his family call it the supermarket (or the market, in his mother's case) and to me that's weird. It's the grocery store. :D I think it's probably a regional thing.

i just say im going to the store. it sounds weird to me when someone says 'i gotta go to the grocery store' or they use supermarket. is it REALLY super??? nope!!! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Yes, Supermarket is regional I believe

Philly/NJ

Although my In-Laws say "Food Store" and they're in Philly

I usually just say the store name :D
    Lol That intelligent. :D No offence
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    the store :)

but I say 'grocery shopping" when I go to do that, I've never said supermarket. Or I say the name of the store I'm going to, like oh I went to the Stop and Shop.
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • in general, it's the grocery store.

specifically, mine is called The Real Canadian Superstore.... lovingly referred to as "The Stupidstore" :D
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • grocery store. definitely.
  • yeah, I actually call it by the store name too...so when I am going to "Ralph's" I say "I am going to Ralph's" and when I am going to "Von's" I say "I am going to Von's" and when I am going to "Albertson's" I say, "I am going to Albertson's" and when I am going to "Henry's" I say, "I am going to Henry's" and when I am going to "Trader Joe's" I say "I am going to Trader Joe's" and when I am going to "Stater Bros." I say, "I am going to Stater Brothers" and when I am going to Target's "marketplace" I say "I am going to the Marketplace in Target" and when I am going to buy in bulk, I go to "Costco" and I say "I am going to Costco" and when I am going to "Smart & Final" I say, "I am going to Smart & Final" and when I want chiccarones, I go to "Gigante" and I say "I am going to Gigante" and when I want to get the right pasillos, I go to "Northgate" and I say "I am going to Northgate"

it makes it easier for people to know exactly where I am going. :p

What she said.
  • it's funny my dad calls EVERYTHING "the store." You ask him where he's going and he says "the store." He asks you if you want to come along to "the store." By "the store" he could mean the grocery store, he could mean the mall, he could mean macys, he could mean the bookstore, he could mean the liquor store, he could mean the butcher...
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    yeah, I actually call it by the store name too...so when I am going to "Ralph's" I say "I am going to Ralph's" and when I am going to "Von's" I say "I am going to Von's" and when I am going to "Albertson's" I say, "I am going to Albertson's" and when I am going to "Henry's" I say, "I am going to Henry's" and when I am going to "Trader Joe's" I say "I am going to Trader Joe's" and when I am going to "Stater Bros." I say, "I am going to Stater Brothers" and when I am going to Target's "marketplace" I say "I am going to the Marketplace in Target" and when I am going to buy in bulk, I go to "Costco" and I say "I am going to Costco" and when I am going to "Smart & Final" I say, "I am going to Smart & Final" and when I want chiccarones, I go to "Gigante" and I say "I am going to Gigante" and when I want to get the right pasillos, I go to "Northgate" and I say "I am going to Northgate"

it makes it easier for people to know exactly where I am going. :p

this is so funny! You don't have a Safeway out there by you?
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • moxiemoxie Posts: 80
    I think it is regional.

I say grocery store.
    I have dogs instead of children... I'd rather ruin my carpet than my life.
  • grocery store
  • Pets Mart
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,192
    bodega in the hood ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    supermarket
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    Stupidmarket
  • Dumpster
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    the shop. That usually covers it. Either that or the name of the shop, mostly Tesco's or Dunnes.
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    a shop
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    As Ash would say, "Shop smart, shop S-Mart."
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    Grocery Store
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • I call it the supermarket (Or Sainsbury's)because it's not just where I buy groceries. I also buy household products and some cosmetics there.

If I were going to a market, it would be a little place selling fresh produce outside. If I just wanted bread or booze, it would be the corner shop because it's the nearest shop. LOL
  • supermarket in my part of oz.. though no on really says 'supermarket' more like 'i'm going to coles/woolies/safeway/foodland/bi-lo' etc :p
    wah
  • wolfbear wrote:
    I usually call it by the name of the store I'm going to. Otherwise, just grocery store. :)

Me Too.
    NERDS!
  • usually my husband and i both just specify the exact store name we are going to, but sure....our grocery stores/markets....we do call them supermarkets, because they are super markets. :p in the past, hell even today...there are outdoor food markets, always referred to as markets...selling a variety of foods. 'super markets' do the exact same, except indoors...and usually much larger, and even more variety of foods. that's how i kinda think the word originated. i would never refer to a tiny local corner grocery store, a bodega, etc....as a supermarket, not the same thing. so supermarkets are alive and well in NY too!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• I usually switch back and forth from grocery store to supermarket
    There's a light when my baby's in my arms :)
  • DMBPJ20DMBPJ20 Posts: 160
    Supermarket.
    Or just the name of whatever store it is ... Jewel, Star Market, Trader Joe's, etc.
    ...I just wanna scream hello...
    No L-O-I-T-E-R-I-N-G Alllloooowed.

I'll ride the wave, where it takes me.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Store or grocery store.