Options

Attention last-minute shoppers:

2»

Comments

• Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    I still hold a little mystery about myself. For example do I look like this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1710000/images/_1714048_georgecscottscrooge150.jpg

or more like this:

http://duckman.pettho.com/characters/scrooge.jpg

Perhaps, a little of both?!?

Thank God you're only 30! If you looked like the top one I think I'd be a little scared getting PM's from you. ;):D

-That didn't come out right. You know what I mean. :o
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Thank God you're only 30! If you looked like the top one I think I'd be a little scared getting PM's from you. ;):D

-That didn't come out right. You know what I mean. :o

What's even scarier is your comfort level of receiving pm's from the second one pictured! :D
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    Poor management. Management needs to incentivize the sales force to encourage people to sell and be nice. Otherwise they're just drawing a paycheck whether there's any sales or not.

Some of it is definitely management's fault, but to "incentivize the sale force to encourage people to sell and be nice"? I don't agree with that at all... you have to incentivize people to be nice? that falls on the employee in my opinion.

If an employee is that miserable at work or hate their job so much that you can't be nice to customers, then quit.

And as far as product knowledge, I don't expect all of the employees to know the ins and outs of every product (especially seasonal employees), but what I can't put up with is the "I don't know" answer or just making something up. I have worked retail, and now I manage a staff in a ticket office (basically retail), and nothing annoys me more than one of our sellers saying "I don't know" to a question, and not offering to get someone who does or to look into it, or even worse just to make up an answer so the customer goes away. It is just laziness in my opinion.

That being said, over the years customers have gotten much more rude and demanding... I absolutely hate dealing with a lot of the public, but I can put my attitude in check and deal with a customer in a calm and happy way.

From the movie Road House :)
    "If somebody gets in your face and calls you a cocksucker, I want you to be nice. Ask him to walk. Be nice. If he won't walk, walk him. But be nice. If you can't walk him, one of the others will help you, and you'll both be nice. I want you to remember that it's a job. It's nothing personal. "
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    What's even scarier is your comfort level of receiving pm's from the second one pictured! :D

I stand by that. It's still better than the first! :)
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Some of it is definitely management's fault, but to "incentivize the sale force to encourage people to sell and be nice"? I don't agree with that at all... you have to incentivize people to be nice? that falls on the employee in my opinion.

If an employee is that miserable at work or hate their job so much that you can't be nice to customers, then quit.

Oh you are quite right employees *should* be nice, but *will* they? Another question entirely. (And I can't blame them sometimes - its people on both sides of this equation) I'm just being pragmatic and practical- human nature and behavior being what it is, a little incentive never hurts.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options

In the second situation, how is it the clerk's fault that Costco has a lower price? It's not on the clerk to explain to you why the store where he is employed has to price items higher to make a profit.

Guess I'm spoiled. The company with whom I'm employed offers 110% price guarantee. If you find it cheaper, we will match and GIVE you another 10% for your pocket.
    That's what makes that place beautiful!!!! LIFETIME CUSTOMERS!! We make sure our customers are treated like royalty.
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    I stand by that. It's still better than the first! :)

3 out of 4 message pit members prefer ducks over geezers.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    shaggy15shaggy15 Posts: 190
    Another...
    Clerk. You like this product?
    Me. Absolutley. Price little higher than Costco. 30 bucks more here
    Clerk. Sorry
    ME: Sorry?
    Clerk: Yeah, guess you need to go back to costco. cant help you on the price.
    ME. Great customer service you got here.
    Clerk. Silence and walks off.

BRILLIANT clerks. Lost tons of money just having a fuckin attitude and not going the mile for the customer.[/quote]

The clerk to you to leave? O poor baby. I love when customers say thats why i shop at a compeading company. they think that hurts me. News for you it doen't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also it does not scare me when you say i want to talk to your manager.
    I can't quit b/c where alse can i get 3 weeks vac and 14.05 an hour time and time and 1/2 when i have bills and paying for school.

I hate adults acting like 2 yr old whilinng until they get their way.
    like a dog chasing a car, I do not know what i would do with it if i caught it----Joker

myspace.com/shaggy10680
  • Options
    Let me make it clear! I know the clerks didn't lose the money!!!
    The company did.
  • Options
    Look. This thread is bullshit. Do you *like* working in retail? No. No one does. So why should people treat you nicely? If everyone treats you like an educated, respect-deserving human being, you'll have far less motivation to find a better career. I find it admirable...neigh...downright charitable that wealthy department store customers and store management see fit to berate and dehumanize the clerks. A living wage, reasonable work hours and basic respect would just make you complacent. Happy chrimbo.
    "Many of Pearl Jam's most loyal fans are teenagers who do not have the money to pay the $50 or more that is often charged today for tickets to a popular concert...we have made a conscious decision that we do not want to put the price of our concerts out of the reach of many of our fans." 6/94
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Look. This thread is bullshit. Do you *like* working in retail? No. No one does. So why should people treat you nicely?
    It's called being courteous. :) I don't know if this was a joke or not, but I sure hope so. Some people do like working in retail for different reasons, some of which are actually helping the customers. Everyone should treat everyone nicely regardless. It would be a much better world. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Please don't be dicks to the retail employees that are just trying to do their fucking jobs during these last few miserable days before Christmas, ok?

It's not our fault that you procrastinated. ;):D

HEY! whats WRONG with procrastination??!!!! :eek: i havnt even STARTED shopping! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    Look. This thread is bullshit. Do you *like* working in retail? No. No one does. So why should people treat you nicely? If everyone treats you like an educated, respect-deserving human being, you'll have far less motivation to find a better career. I find it admirable...neigh...downright charitable that wealthy department store customers and store management see fit to berate and dehumanize the clerks. A living wage, reasonable work hours and basic respect would just make you complacent. Happy chrimbo.
    i actually quite enjoy working retail...and have so for the past 10 years. of course, how much you like working retail is relative to what company you choose to work for. i'd like to think i work for a pretty amazing one :)

if i wanted to, i could be using more of my marketing degree from one of the top business schools in the country...but, i'll save that for later. granted...i'm in retail management at this point, but i've worked my way from the bottom to the top and it's been quite fun for me.

i'd like to think that i should receive the same level of respect/niceness/kindness/whatever from customers that i give them. which is the same that i give to my staff. it's crazy that companies don't want to take care of their employees...but i'd like to think that i do everything in my immediate power to do whatever i can for them.
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    i'm nice and really patient with everyone this time of year.

some other people... not so much. crack a smile, it won't kill you this time of year.
  • Options
    iamsampj wrote:
    i actually quite enjoy working retail...and have so for the past 10 years. of course, how much you like working retail is relative to what company you choose to work for. i'd like to think i work for a pretty amazing one :)

if i wanted to, i could be using more of my marketing degree from one of the top business schools in the country...but, i'll save that for later. granted...i'm in retail management at this point, but i've worked my way from the bottom to the top and it's been quite fun for me.

i'd like to think that i should receive the same level of respect/niceness/kindness/whatever from customers that i give them. which is the same that i give to my staff. it's crazy that companies don't want to take care of their employees...but i'd like to think that i do everything in my immediate power to do whatever i can for them.

lol, don't bother replying to that jackass. :D

He's my husband, and he's just being a brat. :D
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    I'm going to grocery shop on Monday just so I can go in and give smiles and hugs to my favorite people who work there! With 4 sons and a Raw Fed dog, I spend a ton of $$ and time at the supermarket, so I know EVERYONE!! Most people in my town look down on them.....I would love to beat the you know what out of some of them.

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    :D

my arm is gonna fall off, i need workers compo...

be nice... please :eek:
    wah