Absinthe

CateetoCateeto Posts: 377
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
http://drinklucid.com/ageCheck.cfm

Looks like they finally made it legal here in the states... Although I was pretty sure I saw some sort of absinthe on the shelves before... Oh well...

Anyone tried absinthe? What did you think of it?

I recall trying it once and it had a very licorice like taste... I enjoyed it, but it was very strong... And no, there were no hullicinations of the green fairy :p

This site also has a list of ways to mix it when it comes out in late May... Sounds like stuff I'd be willing to try :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    "Finally made it legal" LAMO
    It'll fuck you up :D
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • CateetoCateeto Posts: 377
    Binaural wrote:
    "Finally made it legal" LAMO
    It'll fuck you up :D
    Yeah, it was pretty lame... You had to order it overseas to get it... Some pretty shady stuff :p I guess they were pretty strict about it, though I knew many people who easily got some... My brother-in-law being one :D I can't recall the ingredient that was in it, but one of those ingredients was a big NO NO here. Looks like they resolved some issues with it...
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Cateeto wrote:
    Yeah, it was pretty lame... You had to order it overseas to get it... Some pretty shady stuff :p I guess they were pretty strict about it, though I knew many people who easily got some... My brother-in-law being one :D I can't recall the ingredient that was in it, but one of those ingredients was a big NO NO here. Looks like they resolved some issues with it...
    I have no idea what is in it, all I know is after a few rounds whatever is in your stomach begins a mass exodus :D:p
    It tastes horrible but it will get, one unnofficial slogan goes "Absinthe: The drink that makes you want to kill yourself instantly" LOL
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    commercial absinthe that you'll find in shops isn't real absinthe. its just really strong (60%?) liquor. real absinthe isnt even that strong, it's just crazy and has the hallucinogenic properties.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • CateetoCateeto Posts: 377
    And I read that using flame is not a traditional way to consume this drink... really???? Hmm....
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    A couple years ago I ordered a bottle from the Czech Republic, or somewhere around there.

It came about a week later.
    It tasted like ass but my god it fucks you up. We did it the right way with the sugar on the spoon...I didn't really "hallucinate" but it did make certain things a bit "different". Colors became more vivid and distinct and watching TV became much more interesting. :p

I'd definitely get another bottle if I didn't have to get it overseas.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    The reason why most Absinthe does not make you hallucinate is because it does not contain wormwood. Wormwood is the ingredient (a chemical of some kind) that has hallucinogenic properties. Almost all commercial Absinthe does not contain it. From my knowledge, Absinthe containing wormwood can most easily be found in France.

I've tried several kinds of Absinthe, none with wormwood, and I got pretty fucked up on it, mostly because it was really strong alcohol (ranging from 66% to 90%). It tastes ok, mostly like gross licorice.

My friend actually has two bottles of Absinthe that contain Wormwood, and we plan on trying it either before the end of the semester or during the summer.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
    yosi wrote:
    The reason why most Absinthe does not make you hallucinate is because it does not contain wormwood. Wormwood is the ingredient (a chemical of some kind) that has hallucinogenic properties. Almost all commercial Absinthe does not contain it. From my knowledge, Absinthe containing wormwood can most easily be found in France.

I've tried several kinds of Absinthe, none with wormwood, and I got pretty fucked up on it, mostly because it was really strong alcohol (ranging from 66% to 90%). It tastes ok, mostly like gross licorice.

My friend actually has two bottles of Absinthe that contain Wormwood, and we plan on trying it either before the end of the semester or during the summer.

If you can drink the fake crap, you will definitely like the real stuff.
    The "hallucinations" weren't anything like you'd experience on shrooms or acid. It is very, very subtle. All I've ever noticed is changes to the color scheme/pattern. Color became very bright and vivid.
    mca47 wrote:
    If you can drink the fake crap, you will definitely like the real stuff.
    The "hallucinations" weren't anything like you'd experience on shrooms or acid. It is very, very subtle. All I've ever noticed is changes to the color scheme/pattern. Color became very bright and vivid.

Cool. The hardest Absinthe to choke down was the 90% alcohol. We did it the sugar and everything, but that shit was disgusting. I remember being pretty wasted, and it wasn't a normal drunk either. Everything felt much fuzzier, especially colors. So maybe that stuff did have wormwood if the hallucinations are subtle. I'll let you know after I try the stuff my friend has.
  • Hmmm I've wondered about this stuff before. I've seen it sold in France quite a bit and wondered about sampling it. And maybe the stuff I've seen would have Wormwood in it, being French.

Interesting what's being said about colours being made more vibrant and vivid. This stuff was a great influence on Vincent Van Gogh's painting, so that would explain a lot (all his paintings have very vivid and exaggerated colour schemes). The one bottle I've seen uses a big picture of Van Gogh on the label to market the bottle. :D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    Yeah I don't have any desire to go insane. :p
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • western pearlwestern pearl Posts: 632
    Yeah, it doesn't make you see a stupid green fairy or anything. Just makes everything.....clearer i think. Didn't Hemingway consume vast quantities of this stuff? I know Depp and Manson drink this stuff all the time.

My friend brought back 2 or 3 fifths from Germany over the winter. We plan on consuming it very soon :D

Funny story actually. He was with an older "normal" looking guy when they went through the airport. Of course he has shoulder length hair/bandana and wearing this shirt w/ a huge x on it. They but all the absinthe in the older guy's bag. When they went through security they immediately pulled my buddy of to the side and thouroughly searched his stuff while the older guy went right through no problem :D
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I drank absinthe on holiday when i was 15 and was totally wasted, mad stuff!! It was 70 per cent or something ridiculous like that. Havent had it since then, need to try it again some day.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    A lot of commercial Absinthe has Wormwood in, for instance the bottle I have at the mo, (bought from tescos) has wormwood in it's made by La Fee.
    It's actually something called thujon which either derives or reacts with the wormword that gives the halloucinogenic qualitys to it.

This has the best range of absinthe's, and is one of the best places to buy it from.

http://www.alandia.de
    Can not be arsed with life no more.

This stuff was a great influence on Vincent Van Gogh's painting

It was also a great influence on his ear.:D
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    i never tried it Kate, but I had friends of mine tried it and they were fucked up :p hahaha. I guess it made raves a lot funier :p
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
    All of this Absinthe talk is making me want to buy another bottle.

Mmmm...

What's your favorite brand?
    With regard to all the hallucination talk, the Thujon levels are now regulated in Absinthe, they are only allowed either 30mg or .30mg's(I forget which) per bottle, in the old days back when Absinthe was made illegal in most countries and was refered to as the crazy drink the Thujon levels were not regulated and the hallucinations were a lot stronger, obviously.
    With regard to all the hallucination talk, the Thujon levels are now regulated in Absinthe, they are only allowed either 30mg or .30mg's(I forget which) per bottle, in the old days back when Absinthe was made illegal in most countries and was refered to as the crazy drink the Thujon levels were not regulated and the hallucinations were a lot stronger, obviously.

I remember reading an article about homemade Absinthe, probably when I was in Amsterdam, and it was pretty interesting. It was about two guys, one in France, and the other I think was in Switzerland, and how they were producing their own.
  • laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    its been in canada for a long time.
    come to canada for the best in mind altering substances
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Yeah, they sell it at the liquor store across from where I work, which is a Psychiatric Hospital...We've got it all in BC...shrooms in your yard, weed in your greenhouse...yup! It's the good life...
    be philanthropic
  • It was also a great influence on his ear.:D

LOL, yeah that too :D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • sicnevolsicnevol Posts: 180
    Cateeto wrote:
    http://drinklucid.com/ageCheck.cfm

Looks like they finally made it legal here in the states... Although I was pretty sure I saw some sort of absinthe on the shelves before... Oh well...

Anyone tried absinthe? What did you think of it?

I recall trying it once and it had a very licorice like taste... I enjoyed it, but it was very strong... And no, there were no hullicinations of the green fairy :p

This site also has a list of ways to mix it when it comes out in late May... Sounds like stuff I'd be willing to try :)
    bet you it won't have wormwood in it.
    That's two things we've got, Tape and Time.
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    I think the allure of Absinthe is the fact that it was forbidden for a long time. IMO it tastes worse than the most disgusting cough sirup I ever had - I wouldn't drink it again. You do get results quickly though ;) The original absinthe had the nice side effect that when you drank water within about 24 hours afterwards, the buzz was back immediately. Kind of a constant LSD trip.
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • kc_pjkc_pj Posts: 284
    I just heard about this stuff... anyone try it lately?
    "Seek my part, devote myself.
    My small self. Like a book amongst the many on a shelf."

"I'm already 30% more unpredictable."
    -Pam Beesly
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I only saw it on the TV show "Three Sheets" on the MOJO channel

That dude that goes to bars and tries different types of beers and alcohol

Judging by his reaction I dont want to try it !!
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    commercial absinthe that you'll find in shops isn't real absinthe. its just really strong (60%?) liquor. real absinthe isnt even that strong, it's just crazy and has the hallucinogenic properties.
    and tastes really bitterish... kind of like ouzo

don't remember what it's called in english, but here we say it tastes like 'anijs'
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
  • kc_pjkc_pj Posts: 284
    I've heard it really fucks you up and you get real sick off it too...
    "Seek my part, devote myself.
    My small self. Like a book amongst the many on a shelf."

"I'm already 30% more unpredictable."
    -Pam Beesly
  • pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    Jamal wrote:
    and tastes really bitterish... kind of like ouzo

don't remember what it's called in english, but here we say it tastes like 'anijs'

That is Flemish for "ass." :p

I have tried it in Germany, the Czech Republic and the Netherlands (just to compare haha) as well as some from Canada. :p I didn't like it! The taste was horrible. But, I'd probably drink it again. :o
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177

In many European countries it is 10mg per liter.

Here's another website that sells Absinthe. They have an "Absinthe by Effect" link that shows you which Absinthes they carry have >30mg thujon.

http://www.absinth24.net/

Here's the bottle I'm currently drinking (slowly!):
    http://www.absinth.com/links/loganfils.html
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08