Planning a move to Chicago, help?

SigEpCougarSigEpCougar Posts: 96
edited November 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Hola everyone. Long story short..I have been offered a job in Chicago and I am seriously thinking of taking it. Never been to Chicago however. Anyone have any ideas on where to live/not to live? I've looked at a few websites but I thought first hand advice from actual citizens would be useful as well. Thanks in advance!
http://www.myspace.com/sigepnader

History is the polemics of the victor...

LETS GO CARDINALS!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hola everyone. Long story short..I have been offered a job in Chicago and I am seriously thinking of taking it. Never been to Chicago however. Anyone have any ideas on where to live/not to live? I've looked at a few websites but I thought first hand advice from actual citizens would be useful as well. Thanks in advance!
    renting???
    owning????

where is your new job located????
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Renting to start. The job is on East Madison street, which if I mapped correctly is downtownish?

Ive looked into Hyde park and Edgewater. Hyde Park seems to be neighboring slums though so I am skeptical.

LETS GO CARDINALS!
  • Depends on alot of things, Chicago can be a very expensive City, do you have a car or will you need public transportation, do you have kids, the winter is very long and cold, expect only about 7 months of decent weather, that being said, Chicago is the best place on earth in Summer, people go crazy from being trapped in their homes and offices for 5 months so when it starts to get warm people flock to any and all outdoor places. I notice you are posting from S.C. I know a handful of people from that area and they all say the miss the south......
  • I have a car, no kids, no pets..just a gf who would eventually come up with me. I am sure I would miss the South, I LOVE the South. But, the job market here rather sucks. While I have a house that is family owned and I will never have a mortgage here, the chance to get up and go intrigues me, not to mention better money.

LETS GO CARDINALS!
  • I have a car, no kids, no pets..just a gf who would eventually come up with me. I am sure I would miss the South, I LOVE the South. But, the job market here rather sucks. While I have a house that is family owned and I will never have a mortgage here, the chance to get up and go intrigues me, not to mention better money.
    Yes, you would miss the South. ;)

The better money is enticing, but just remember to take into effect the cost of living for wherever you want to move. If Chicago (or anywhere else you might move) is more expensive to live in, then it might not really benefit you that much to move there. I was about set to move out west after school, but once I found out what the cost of living was, I calculated it out and it made more sense for me financially to stay here in SC.
  • You should check out Lakeview. I lived a block south of Wrigley Field and loved it. I worked in the Loop, and my commute usually lasted about 25-30 minutes during rush hour.
  • I lived in Lakeview and loved it. I would avoid downtown (Streeterville & the Gold Coast) as it is expensive and Lincoln Park as the people tend to be pretentious, but that is pretty minor as you just avoid them - then again, they are already avoiding you (no eye contact / no smiling / no saying "hi" is allowed). Lakeview / Roscoe is friendlier & cheaper rent/booz/food.
  • bucktown/wicker park!

Pm me I will help you with any questions you have!
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    You should check out Lakeview. I lived a block south of Wrigley Field and loved it. I worked in the Loop, and my commute usually lasted about 25-30 minutes during rush hour.
    As long as your not a homophode, lakeview is a nice neighborhood. I live in Lincoln Park, but wouldn't recommend it because its expensive. I lucked out on the price of my apartment. Lincoln Square would be allot cheaper. Just avoid Humbolt Park!
  • stay on the northside somewhere......the southside can get a bit sketchy in spots...

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    bucktown/wicker park!

Pm me I will help you with any questions you have!
    If he's living by himself, he probably won't find many 1 bedroom or studios there. I had that problem when looking.
  • I lived in Lakeview and loved it. I would avoid downtown (Streeterville & the Gold Coast) as it is expensive and Lincoln Park as the people tend to be pretentious, but that is pretty minor as you just avoid them - then again, they are already avoiding you (no eye contact / no smiling / no saying "hi" is allowed). Lakeview / Roscoe is friendlier & cheaper rent/booz/food.

I live in Lincoln Park and I completely disagree with the statements about my neighborhood.....99% of the people that live in Lincoln Park are 30 and 40 somethings that have kids and own their homes, unless you are a Depaul Student....granted if you are looking for a party neighborhood, this is not it. If you want a nice "clean" neighborhood and can afford it, go with either Lakeview or Lincoln Park. I lived in Bucktown and Pilsen when I was younger and had a great time, but Ive grown up and moved on, but they are great places if that is the stage of life you are in.....

Blah, Blah, Blah......
  • As long as your not a homophode, lakeview is a nice neighborhood. I live in Lincoln Park, but wouldn't recommend it because its expensive. I lucked out on the price of my apartment. Lincoln Square would be allot cheaper. Just avoid Humbolt Park!

Whats up with Humbolt Park?

So far Lakeview is looking like a good area. How is parking though? I will be bringing my car with me and I know in spots of Charleston and Charlotte parking can be a beast

LETS GO CARDINALS!
  • If he's living by himself, he probably won't find many 1 bedroom or studios there. I had that problem when looking.
    I live in a studio loft in bucktown.
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Hola everyone. Long story short..I have been offered a job in Chicago and I am seriously thinking of taking it. Never been to Chicago however. Anyone have any ideas on where to live/not to live? I've looked at a few websites but I thought first hand advice from actual citizens would be useful as well. Thanks in advance!

chicago freakin RULES. I can go on for days discussing how awesome i think that place is. i just got back from that 'area' a few days ago. :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867

what are your interests and social/privacy needs, etc? If you don't mind people around a lot and nightlife then yeah by all means Wrigleyville or any neighborhood that is available and affordable is a good thing. There is advantages to living there ........you can walk anywhere you need to go as far as stores, or attractions that are in the city. It's like a world of its own there........I envy those people. But on the other hand, you can do like I do, live in a suburb in any direction really that you like and it only takes about 20 minutes to get downtown from most nice places to live. Oh and there is a train that takes you to the city and has a lot of stops in each suburb.

where is your job located?
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • writersu wrote:
    what are your interests and social/privacy needs, etc? If you don't mind people around a lot and nightlife then yeah by all means Wrigleyville or any neighborhood that is available and affordable is a good thing. There is advantages to living there ........you can walk anywhere you need to go as far as stores, or attractionshat are in the city. It's like a world of its own there........I envy those people. But on the other hand, you can do like I do, live in a suburb in any direction really that you like and it only takes about 20 minutes to get downtown from most nice places to live. Oh and there is a train that takes you to the city and has a lot of stops in each suburb.

where is your job located?

My job will be located downtown off of East Madison I believe. As for people being around/nightlife, that wouldnt bother me at all. The gf who will be moving up later in the summer said she would prefer living in a suburb which would be fine by me. I just want to make sure I can be downtown for work without having to drive there. I have heard nightmare stories about driving there.

LETS GO CARDINALS!
    SENROCK! wrote:
    chicago freakin RULES. I can go on for days discussing how awesome i think that place is. i just got back from that 'area' a few days ago. :D

and you didn't look me up??????

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
    My job will be located downtown off of East Madison I believe. As for people being around/nightlife, that wouldnt bother me at all. The gf who will be moving up later in the summer said she would prefer living in a suburb which would be fine by me. I just want to make sure I can be downtown for work without having to drive there. I have heard nightmare stories about driving there.

I can go on forever.........but don't worry I won't...........

Ok , so as far as traveling to work, there is the Metra Train that runs to and from the downtown area all day and into the evening. Parking is always good at the stations because you can get a pass that is out in your windshield (should you be driving there--which most people need to; even if only a couple of blocks) to allow you to park right at the tracks.

And as for the suburbs that your girlfriend speaks of wanting to live in, there are the suburbs; like neighborhoods that are cool as well as not exactly the city with very cook houses or condos; whatever your preference and financial statues. Oak Park is a very cool place to live, if you are wanting a neighborhood but also a certain amount of life to look at around you. I am trying to describe it properly so here goes.......(I love it there)........

it has the Frank Lloyd Wright houses there which are gorgeous to look at or take tours they have, Oak Park also has a lot of old renovated homes that are just done so beautifully as well. As for the people who live there, they are racially mixed so you don't get that stuffy type of tightass life thing going on. But it is also safe there so it is in no way like the inner city where you may not feel safe in some areas there because they truly are high in their crime rates.

Or, the further west you go, the more picket fence thing happens; at least visually, you know?

But there are also areas that are North of the city that are probably similar to Oak Park but not exactly the same of course.

It is hard to know what you and she would like personally, but I think that for a young couple OakPark or somewhere similar would be a nice place to live.
    Are you able to visit it there before you have to move there?

• I found a great website called movingtochicago.org that seems to help also.

What do you guys know about Skokie or maybe Evanston? Skokie seems to be fairly reasonably priced and close to the city.

Or, Hyde Park? Hyde Park seems to be near ghetto from what I can tell. Not that it is a bad thing...just not my cup of tea:)

LETS GO CARDINALS!
  • I found a great website called movingtochicago.org that seems to help also.

What do you guys know about Skokie or maybe Evanston? Skokie seems to be fairly reasonably priced and close to the city.

Or, Hyde Park? Hyde Park seems to be near ghetto from what I can tell. Not that it is a bad thing...just not my cup of tea:)
    skokie or evanston????

NO NO NO!!!!!!
  • lol, no no no? Enlighten me.

Remember, I'm going off advice here. I dont even know if I will have time to fly there before I move.

LETS GO CARDINALS!
  • lol, no no no? Enlighten me.

Remember, I'm going off advice here. I dont even know if I will have time to fly there before I move.
    gotta ask....

you are going to rent first....right????

how much do you plan on paying for rent????
  • I was thinking anywhere from 800 to 950 would be about right.

LETS GO CARDINALS!
  • I was thinking anywhere from 800 to 950 would be about right.
    then i say....

live in the city.....im on the north side and i have a nice 2 bedroom for $800...

im north of the city....decent neighborhood...easy acess to public train....

experience the city for a year before moving out to the burbs.....just my opinion...
    writersu wrote:
    and you didn't look me up??????

hahaha sorry. i hadd a 'date' over there..... :D
    dont worry i'll DEFINITELY be back that way soon!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

then i say....

live in the city.....im on the north side and i have a nice 2 bedroom for $800...

im north of the city....decent neighborhood...easy acess to public train....

experience the city for a year before moving out to the burbs.....just my opinion...

i HOPE the grilled cheese in your sig is for me! you promised long ago!!! :D

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    if you want suburbs they all are very different. Depending on how far you'd want to train you can branch out pretty fucking far.

I live in Joliet, a southwest suburb about 1 hour 5-10 minutes by train. However, housing in this areas is insanely cheap price wise compared to many other suburbs. You can find any type of vibe you can think of in some suburb in terms of ethnic flavors, socio-economic makeup, architechture, proximity, city attractions etc. If you want places that are growing and blossoming into their own the burbs and certain new development areas of the city offer this. Living in the city can be way more expensive or just as managable if you can right the right pockets. If you want to live next to wrigley field it is going to cost more than living in other places. The city itself is a microcosm too offereing towns within the city. There are many good deals to be had from city to burbs since the housing market has slowed down a lot here in the last year.

We can't give you cotton gins, and reapers, the atlantic(we have a pretty sweet lake though minus the BP pollution)but I don't think many places in the burbs of city will not help you fall in love with the windy city. This is a town that takes a lot of pride in whatever one does, and I think the realness of the people here is the best part of it all.

If you have an idea of what kind of demographics you are wanting we can all help a little better(another awesome part of this town, many people just help each other cuz its the right thing to do) So I guess be as sepcific as possible with what you want and can afford(as you already stated) and the windy city brigade will give you all the help we can.

Best Part of it all.....PEARL JAM PLAYS CHICAGO
  • EbizzieEbizzie Posts: 240
    I grew up in Chicago, left when I was 18. I'm a GA boy now. As much as I love the city of Chicago, love my Sox and Bulls, miss the beautiful spring days and summer nights, dude, I would never move back there.

Do you have any idea how freaking cold it gets there? I mean, just to walk out to your car in the drive to grab something is a pain in the ass. I can't stand visiting in the wintertime. The winter jacket I use down here has never really let me down here in GA, but I wear it in Chicago during the winter and the cold wind just cuts right through my coat....stinging cold.

And the people are not as generally friendly as you're probably used to. Not to say that there aren't cool people who will shoot the breeze with you, but just common decency you grow used to in the south, like saying "excuse me", "thank you", etc. My wife is a purebred Georgia peach and she can't stand the people of Chicago when we go up there to visit. I guess I just don't notice it as much as she does being I grew up around it.

With all that said, in your position with no wife or kids, I think it'd be worth atleast checking out for a year or so. You would definitely have a good time living in the city. There is so much to do and see. Just be prepared for 4-5 months of indoor activities.
    "Worse than traitors in arms are the men who pretend loyalty to the flag, feast and fatten on the misfortunes of the nation while patriotic blood is crimsoning the plains." -- Abraham Lincoln
    SENROCK! wrote:
    hahaha sorry. i hadd a 'date' over there..... :D
    dont worry i'll DEFINITELY be back that way soon!!!

"date"? you travel to date? What did you travel to do there on your date? That is soooooooooooo cool.