Options

The Ignorant Irish Supporters of Soccer

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
It always annoys me how most IRish soccer fans refer to English club teams as we and us when they are in fact English teams. They are thousands of people from Ireland flying to England each week to support these teams while local teams here get little support.

No I am no longer a lover of soccer. they is far too much greed and money in the game and their is no honesty whatsoever. I also think that the standard has dropped.

I also hear all the irish fans copying the english soccer chants. Surely they can make up their own.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Well until Cliftonville or Glentorran are able to produce the kind of display Liverpool or Arsenal do I don't see why I should.
    Oh and just because the teams play and reside in England doesn't make them English, if you were to jump a premiership side and nab their passports, not many of them would say 'British Citizen'. Football is an international game, the national leagues only serve to generate a specific style of play. I think the premiership is the best in the world because of its physicality and pace. You ever watched La Liga? Its depressingly boring, and the players go down faster than Madonna's credibility.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    fada wrote:
    It always annoys me how most IRish soccer fans refer to English club teams as we and us when they are in fact English teams. They are thousands of people from Ireland flying to England each week to support these teams while local teams here get little support.

No I am no longer a lover of soccer. they is far too much greed and money in the game and their is no honesty whatsoever. I also think that the standard has dropped.

I also hear all the irish fans copying the english soccer chants. Surely they can make up their own.

i would have thought they had their own chants... perhaps its because they are thick. ;)

best ever footie chant (sang at time when both Gary and Phil played for Man Ure.. and yes that is their dads real name)

Neville Neville, they're in defence,
    Neville Neville , their future's immense.
    Neville Neville , they ain't half bad,
    Neville Neville, the name of their dad.'
    Sung to the tune of David Bowie's 'Rebel Rebel'
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I blame Roddy Doyle.
  • Options
    Binaural wrote:
    Oh and just because the teams play and reside in England doesn't make them English,

i know where you're coming from but i dont agree... they are English base clubs, the vast majority of their fans are English, they are affiliated to the English FA, the play in the English Premiership.. etc

it'd be like saying Fender isnt an american company since they get 75% of their guitars made in China these days... they are still american though
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    i know where you're coming from but i dont agree... they are English base clubs, the vast majority of their fans are English, they are affiliated to the English FA, the play in the English Premiership.. etc

it'd be like saying Fender isnt an american company since they get 75% of their guitars made in China these days... they are still american though
    All I'm saying is that their 'englishness' is tenuous at best, most players of the major teams are foreign, many managers are foreign, many any investors and owners are foreign. Anywho the argument is pretty contextual so I'll just remain with my main point, the Premier league is the one that provides the best football in the world, so I'm sticking with it :D
    Sidenote: Anyone catch the Liverpool match? It should have been given an '18' rating for scenes of extreme slaughter :p

Dublin 08/06
  • Options
    Binaural wrote:
    All I'm saying is that their 'englishness' is tenuous at best, most players of the major teams are foreign, many managers are foreign, many any investors and owners are foreign. Anywho the argument is pretty contextual so I'll just remain with my main point, the Premier league is the one that provides the best football in the world, so I'm sticking with it :D
    Sidenote: Anyone catch the Liverpool match? It should have been given an '18' rating for scenes of extreme slaughter :p

I won't agree with the standard of the premiership. Go back ten years and the games were far more entertaining
  • Options
    fada wrote:
    I won't agree with the standard of the premiership. Go back ten years and the games were far more entertaining
    Have you watched Arsenal recently? I defy anyone that has even the remotest appreciation for football to refute the excitement of watching Arsenal play. Also what was great about ten years ago that wasn't great now?

Dublin 08/06
  • Options
    the excitement in games.
    Bar Arsenal, Newcaslte ,liverpool, man united where far better to watch then than they are now as was most premiership games
  • Options
    fada wrote:
    the excitement in games.
    Bar Arsenal, Newcaslte ,liverpool, man united where far better to watch then than they are now as was most premiership games
    Personally I disagree. In the past three years Chelsea have become one of the main contenders for honours, ten years ago someone would have laughed in your face at that suggestion, liverpool look like they could challenge for the title seriously for the first time in about a decade and Arsenal have an incredibly young team that is tearing others to shreds, Man City are doing so well, I dunno, to me things have gotten even more interesting.

Dublin 08/06
  • Options
    Come on now. Three team can win it and thats it. The rest haven't a hope.
    Go back ten years adn chelsea won't win it but you had leeds, blackburn and newcastle along with villa all challenging.

I think soccer in general is gone very poor and far less exciting. I barely watch it any more. I stick to my GAA
  • Options
    fada wrote:
    Go back ten years adn chelsea won't win it but you had leeds, blackburn and newcastle along with villa all challenging.

I think soccer in general is gone very poor and far less exciting. I barely watch it any more. I stick to my GAA
    My point is that exactly, things have changed, which in itself is exciting. The main contenders are Liverpool, United, Chelsea and Arsenal but then each one holds different potential difficulties. With Chelsea its the dressing room discontent with Drogba quite frankly looking to piss off, which could disrupt their season, United may be pushing more towards the champions leauge which could affect their chances and then you've got Arsenal whose young team might not have the pace to last the season, and lets not forget Liverpools famed inconsistency. Like I said, its all opinion, but I find it still holds the excitement.

Dublin 08/06
  • Options
    nutmeg81nutmeg81 Posts: 627
    fada wrote:

so u were once a lover of the english game??

fuck right off ur high horse........

the league of ireland and irish leagues aren't worth shit imo.......with
    my nearest team being kildare county....

ive grown up watching footy on rte/utv/bbc/sky and so english soccer always been on in wherever i watched it......

im a liverpool fan......and now reside here, so does that make me worthier to follow them than when ilived back home.....in ur opinion probably....but grow the fuck up.....

all our international players play in premiership/championship in england.....so they obviously not proud to be irish.....??!

its ur kind of narrow mindedness that pisses many a person off....

now im a passionate follower of hurlling to...however here i am representing my english university at it.....hope that doesnt offend u.....

u prick.
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
  • Options
    nutmeg81 wrote:

ive grown up watching footy on rte/utv/bbc/sky and so english soccer always been on in wherever i watched it......

im a liverpool fan......and now reside here, so does that make me worthier to follow them than when ilived back home.....in ur opinion probably....but grow the fuck up.....

all our international players play in premiership/championship in england.....so they obviously not proud to be irish.....??!

now im a passionate follower of hurlling to...however here i am representing my english university at it.....hope that doesnt offend u.....

u prick.

u r touchy on this one m8 :)
  • Options
    nutmeg81nutmeg81 Posts: 627
    dunkman wrote:
    u r touchy on this one m8 :)

not usually like that......just pure stupidity needs to be shown up for what it is!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
  • Options
    fada wrote:

Don't complain. In France we only have one team which is good and that's it. Lyon won the last 6 french championships ... and they are going for the 7th this season.
    Now I mostly follow the other european championships like Premier League, Calcio and Liga to see some good football.
  • Options
    I used to support Ajax. Is that worse? There were no Irish players, fuck all Irish supporters, didn't play in Ireland... I just liked them and I liked how they played. I enjoyed watching them so I started supporting them, should I not have? :confused:

Should I have picked a shitty Irish team which would bore the crap out of me just cos I have to? And cos that's the popular thing to do in certain circles?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    [size=+4]**DROGHEDA UNITED......CHAMPIONS OF IRELAND**[/size]

:D

Anyway...I'm a Liverpool fan and always have been. As a child I regularly went to see the drogs play in the pissing rain, when I got into my older teens I played for them and I've managed to get to, the sum total of 5 games in the past two seasons. The standard of Irish footie is very poor but I do believe that with more money and investment in the clubs the standard will improve. Its better now than 10 years ago but still only English 1st Div Level at best. Irish people need to get behind their local teams but that does not mean that they can't follow English teams. I went to istanbul to watch liverpool....would I do the same for the drogs....I don't think I would to be honest.

I take the essence of your point but I don't think you can be pissed off at other peoples choices...why do you love pearl jam, their american, not irish (except for mike's family...isn't that right dunk ;)) do you love young, up-and-coming irish bands as much?? I don't know I just think that exposure is a element and in the world we're exposed to what the rich want us to be exposed to....not that I'm happy about it :D
    I need a coffee!
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Is the Irish league so terrible? I've never actually watched a match so I wouldn't know. We get Premier League, Bundesliga, La Liga, Mexican games, but no Irish. Does the Irish league not pay their players worth a damn? It seems the Irish are a very proud people and it would be a league full of their best stars. But maybe that's just me being naive and romantic for the Ireland I believe it to be.
  • Options
    gabers wrote:
    Is the Irish league so terrible? I've never actually watched a match so I wouldn't know. We get Premier League, Bundesliga, La Liga, Mexican games, but no Irish. Does the Irish league not pay their players worth a damn? It seems the Irish are a very proud people and it would be a league full of their best stars. But maybe that's just me being naive and romantic for the Ireland I believe it to be.

The Irish league is a semi-professional league with a couple of exceptions. All the best young Irish players generally go to English teams at a young age to try and make it there. Some succeed, many fail and come back to the irish league or just give up :(
    I need a coffee!
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Binaural wrote:
    and the players go down faster than Madonna's credibility.

Or just Madonna.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    gabers wrote:
    see thing is, the vast majority of young Irish people play either Gaelic football or hurling, even rugby is pretty big so we've quite a few sports in this country. Soccer would be mainly played in the cities... or on the local green in the evening or something! So cos it's the main sport in England and they're much better equipped over there, most of the players who want to make it realistically have to move to England and try for an English team. Even the rugby here pay the players well to STAY in Ireland and for that reason, the Irish rugby players probably have it better than most rugby players. The soccer association is a mess though - we don't even have a national soccer stadium, they rent off the rugby or GAA crowd.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    gabers wrote:
    Is the Irish league so terrible?

its akin to paraplegic synchronised swimming
  • Options
    nutmeg81 wrote:

u prick.
    I was never a lover of soccer but as I said why are teams referred to as we when you are not from any area. Support your own and be proud.
    McGeady plays in Scotland.

I hope you are a good hurler and not letting the side down.
    Oh I forgot you are from Kildare , the English must think you are the new Shefflin , ehh Prick
  • Options
    fada wrote:

Probably cause he is scottish ;) just plays for ROI
    I need a coffee!
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    its akin to paraplegic synchronised swimming

I'm thinking of taking this up.

Can I have a vote?
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    The thing that most annoyed me about the majority of soccer supporters.
    They are trying to be too English. Shamrock rovers and Bohs are even starting up hooligan gangs.
    Celtic now most Irish soccer fans follow them but I had this idiot tell me that he was a Republician and that he followed Celtic.

I told him that Celtic weren't a REpublician team they had Irish connections but not republician and that Rangers had a far worse secreterian following
  • Options
    fada wrote:
    I was never a lover of soccer but as I said why are teams referred to as we when you are not from any area. Support your own and be proud.

I hope you are a good hurler and not letting the side down.
    Oh I forgot you are from Kildare , the English must think you are the new Shefflin , ehh Prick
    Hmmm... well there's no team from Cavan so how the fuck could I support my own? What's the difference in me supporting say Cobh or Ajax? I'm from neither place. At least one would entertain me... I'll support whichever team I want cos I enjoy their football. You can support whatever team you want just cos you feel obliged :confused: . Doesn't make sense to me.

I support my local teams in GAA, soccer isn't an Irish sport anyway so you shouldn't really be following it at all if you stick to your 'values' so much so I'll support whoever I want in that.

And do only people who are GOOD at a sport deserve support? If he's bad he's letting the side down? Well it's better than not playing at all, isn't it? :cool:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    fada wrote:
    The thing that most annoyed me about the majority of soccer supporters.
    They are trying to be too English. Shamrock rovers and Bohs are even starting up hooligan gangs.
    Celtic now most Irish soccer fans follow them but I had this idiot tell me that he was a Republician and that he followed Celtic.

I told him that Celtic weren't a REpublician team they had Irish connections but not republician and that Rangers had a far worse secreterian following
    hooliganism isn't an entirely English thing... it's a soccer thing! Are the Turks, the Dutch, the Poles, the Germans (hooligans) trying to be English or are they just wankers? I'd say the latter.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Support Your Local Team !!
    Support Your Local Team!!
    We All Do And So Should You Support Your Local Team !!

Derry City F.c....the Biggest Club In Ireland !!!
    I plan to live forever.so far so good !
  • Options
    monster95 wrote:
    Support Your Local Team !!
    Support Your Local Team!!
    We All Do And So Should You Support Your Local Team !!

Derry City F.c....the Biggest Club In Ireland !!!
    I don't have a local team :confused: and isn't it also possible to support your local team AND another one? There are no rules to who you're allowed support or why! And if there ARE, who gets to MAKE the rules? :confused:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
This discussion has been closed.