07/15/06 SF I
    07/16/06 SF II
    07/18/06 SF III
    10/21/06 Bridge School
    04/07/08 Berkeley
    04/08/08 Berkeley
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    well, it was a lockout, but even prior to that... the NHL was a sinking ship.

there are different levels of fans, and you are obviously a more casual one if you can do without an ENTIRE season of a team you so call "love." i wasn't happy with the lockout by anymeans, but for me to turn my back on the sport and my team is just insane.

people can debate all they want about the rule changes, but i honestly believe it is a better game today. no 2 line pass, extra 4 feet in each offensive zone, shoot outs... it makes the players skate and hustle more, and in return you are getting a much faster game.

before someone mentioned that the problem is low scoring. watching two goalies go at it, make 30+ saves and only allow a goal is an amazing sight. not to bash baseball, but watching a pitchers duel is boring as shit. i want to see 500 foot homeruns, not ground out after ground out.
    now i'm more of a casual fan until playoffs at least. before i was a die hard fan,i played hockey and watched it since i was a 5 or 6 yrsold. But it isn't the same i still will watch but not all 82 games no more.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    StellyStelly Posts: 170
    well, it was a lockout, but even prior to that... the NHL was a sinking ship.

there are different levels of fans, and you are obviously a more casual one if you can do without an ENTIRE season of a team you so call "love." i wasn't happy with the lockout by anymeans, but for me to turn my back on the sport and my team is just insane.

people can debate all they want about the rule changes, but i honestly believe it is a better game today. no 2 line pass, extra 4 feet in each offensive zone, shoot outs... it makes the players skate and hustle more, and in return you are getting a much faster game.

before someone mentioned that the problem is low scoring. watching two goalies go at it, make 30+ saves and only allow a goal is an amazing sight. not to bash baseball, but watching a pitchers duel is boring as shit. i want to see 500 foot homeruns, not ground out after ground out.

I LOVE a good pitcher's duel. Watching a pitcher make professional hitters look silly at the plate is an incredible thing to watch.
    8/22/98 - Toronto
    8/26/98 - Cleveland
    10/7/00 - Detroit
    4/25/03 - Cleveland
    6/23/06 - Pittsburgh
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    If you include college it's pretty much the big three. Football, Basketball, & Baseball.

1: Both Pro & College football are heavily invested by almost all American sports fans. In my opinion it's the most popular.

2: Pro & College basketball is big among the youth and urban areas. However, college basketball's playoff AKA March Madness is probably more popular than the NBA Playoffs.

3: Baseball, it's basically the pros, especially the post season because only 6 teams make it & the teams mean a lot to each cities.
    no one really cares about the college & minor leagues.

4: NASCAR Auto. As a a resident of Massachusetts, I don't get it but I know in the South it's almost as important as church.

5: it's a toss between golf, hockey, mix martial arts & tennis.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    Stelly wrote:
    I LOVE a good pitcher's duel. Watching a pitcher make professional hitters look silly at the plate is an incredible thing to watch.
    Same here, but I'm a big baseball fan.

1. Football
    2. Baseball
    3. Basketball
    4. Golf
    5. Hockey/Soccer

Nascar, if considered a sport, is very close to taking the top spot. The only thing I like about Nascar is that you can bring your own beer cooler (large enough for about a 24 pack of beer) in and don't have to pay for it at the concessions...
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    adam42381 wrote:
    Same here, but I'm a big baseball fan.

1. Football
    2. Baseball
    3. Basketball
    4. Golf
    5. Hockey/Soccer

Nascar, if considered a sport, is very close to taking the top spot. The only thing I like about Nascar is that you can bring your own beer cooler (large enough for about a 24 pack of beer) in and don't have to pay for it at the concessions...

let's not put hockey & soccer in the same category. soccer is nowhere near the top 10 popular sports in the U.S.

NASCAR + college basketball top two in North Carolina. :D Am I right?
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Saturnal wrote:
    Can't remember the last time I watched a game really...at least a couple years. I love playing hockey, but the NHL is ridiculous. I'm just not into the fighting aspect of it.

Fighting is a small part of the game

Give it another shot it's not like it used to be

I think the Broons and Flyers have played twice this year and no fights

;)
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    LongRd. wrote:
    let's not put hockey & soccer in the same category. soccer is nowhere near the top 10 popular sports in the U.S.

NASCAR + college basketball top two in North Carolina. :D Am I right?
    Soccer and hockey are not in the same category, I'll give you that. Here in NC, Nascar and college basketball are kings. Pretty much all the major sports are popular but those are tops due to Nascar being headquartered here and UNC and Duke basketball(and NC State and Wake Forest to a lesser extent). Go Heels!
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,151
    adam42381 wrote:
    Soccer and hockey are not in the same category, I'll give you that. Here in NC, Nascar and college basketball are kings.

Dang gone it! :mad: :p
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    1. Pro Football
    2. Pro Baseball
    3. College Basketball
    4. College Football
    5. Pro Basketball
    6. Golf
    7. NASCAR
    8. Hockey
    9. Soccer
    10. Minor League Baseball
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,563
    Pro Football
    Baseball
    College Football
    College BAsketball
    NASCAR
    Pro Basketball
    Pro Hockey
    Everything else

Thats not MY list.....I hate NASCAR.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    football for sure. baseball and golf would be distantly next. Basketball has faded over the years but its still popular. Hockey is off the radar. NASCAR is kind of a fad; the ratings are dying on TV but its a big spectator sport.

I'm really just a football fan nowadays. I stop paying attention to sports after the superbowl.
  • Options
    fada wrote:
    I don't know much about American football ( don't like it to tell you the truth) but can't you drink at it? What about the other two and hockey drinking wise?

My mate went to a game once and he was wasted by the end of it.

Is there so much rasmatase surrounding in American football because the game isn't that great?

if you dont mind paying 12$ for a beer, you can drink at NFL games. But at every Saints game I've ever been to I've seen at least one drunken fight, so I guess somebody is drinking. When i went to college we all just brought flasks in. A few of us were usually unconscious by halftime.

American football is too expensive and complicated to really catch on anywhere else (especially with the less than warm feelings toward America nowadays). I don't really think it will ever catch on anywhere except Mexico, where it has a lot of fans. I love it though.

Its like chess, with steroids.

i hate all the "rasmatase ". I dont know why they waste so much time with retarded superbowl halftime shows. the are famous for sucking ass.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    As far as revenue and TV ratings go... the big three are:

1. NFL - Football
    2. MLB - Baseball
    3. NBA - Basketball

NHL - Hockey is on a rebound but I don't think it gets much more ratings than figure skating. It will eventually I presume, although TV does the sport no justice. I love the NHL more than any sport when I go to see a game in person.

MLS - Soccer (football) is probably last behind professional eating. Sad but true. I like the sport myself, but I seem to only really have fun watching during the World Cup.
    Only because Football is played once a week as opposed to baseball being played everyday.. I'm going to argue that baseball is the biggest sport in America. I could be wrong, but I love baseball. I've never really gotten into Football so much.
  • Options
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Baseball is played everyday . Now long is the season for each of the big three and how often would they play a week?
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,115
    fada wrote:
    Baseball is played everyday . Now long is the season for each of the big three and how often would they play a week?
    Pro Football (NFL) - 4 preseason exhibition games. 16 games in the regular season. 3 or 4 games in the playoffs (depending on where the team finishes). A team plays one game per week. Preseason to playoffs usually lasts from the beginning of August to the end of January or early February.

Pro Baseball (MLB) - Around 30 preseason games. 162 game regular season. Up to 19 games in the playoffs -- best of 5 Division Series, best of 7 Championship Series, best of 7 World Series. A team typically plays 6 or 7 games a week with an off day every 10 days or so. Preseason to playoffs usually lasts from beginning of March to the end of October.

Proo Basketball (NBA) - Around 8 preseason games. 82 game regular season. Up to 28 games in the playoffs -- best of 7 conference quarterfinals, best of 7 conference semifinals, best of 7 conference finals, best of 7 NBA finals. A team typically plays 3-5 games per week. Preseason to playoffs usually lasts from beginning of October to middle/end of June.