Options

Which is bigger in the STAtes

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
America Football , baseball or basketball?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    just going by what i hear and the people i know....football.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Football by far

Followed by Baseball & Basketball
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    different regions/areas have different trends, but in terms of overall popularity I would say they rank like this:
    1. American Football
    2. Basketball
    3. Baseball
  • Options
    Football by far

Followed by Baseball & Basketball

then hockey, table tennis, tennis, volleyball, and soccer

• Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    hockey
  • Options
    brainofPJ wrote:
    then hockey, table tennis, tennis, volleyball, and soccer

I think soccer is further down the list...maybe after Professional Dodge Ball

;)

• Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,147
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    hockey

At least on this side of the boarder
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    I think soccer is further down the list...maybe after Professional Dodge Ball

;)

i knew i forgot one other sport.

• Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    one day hockey will be # 1.

all you fools will realize that it is truely the best sport in the world.
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:
    At least on this side of the boarder

these americans are fools
  • Options
    What about Curling?
  • Options
    I don't know much about American football ( don't like it to tell you the truth) but can't you drink at it? What about the other two and hockey drinking wise?

My mate went to a game once and he was wasted by the end of it.

Is there so much rasmatase surrounding in American football because the game isn't that great?
  • Options

wow we both used fools :)
  • Options

I dont know why hockey isn't more popular in the states

It's physical,its fast, great action,fights

It has everything

• Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,147
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    these americans are fools

But PJ fans are a little different microcosm ......there are more hockey threads and hockey love on this board than most sports!!!
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options

Check out the irish game of Hurling and you will be amazed at what I consider the greatest game and the most skillful in the world
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:
    But PJ fans are a little different microcosm ......there are more hockey threads and hockey love on this board than most sports!!!

cause were not fools :) good music good sports
  • Options

It has everything

1. It's low-scoring

2. Too many idiots fighting all the time
  • Options
    As far as revenue and TV ratings go... the big three are:

1. NFL - Football
    2. MLB - Baseball
    3. NBA - Basketball

NHL - Hockey is on a rebound but I don't think it gets much more ratings than figure skating. It will eventually I presume, although TV does the sport no justice. I love the NHL more than any sport when I go to see a game in person.

MLS - Soccer (football) is probably last behind professional eating. Sad but true. I like the sport myself, but I seem to only really have fun watching during the World Cup.
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • Options
    football i think without question. as for hockey being popular at all, i think golf has more viewers or those stupid poker games.
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    1. It's low-scoring

2. Too many idiots fighting all the time

Low scoring but I can watch a 1-1 game and its full of action

No better sport in the Playoffs then Hockey

Actually fighting is way down unfortunately for the Hockey purist

Curious when is the last time you watched a game ?

• Options
    Football
    Baseball
    College Football
    Basketball
    Hockey
    Golf
    Soccer
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    fada wrote:
    I don't know much about American football ( don't like it to tell you the truth) but can't you drink at it? What about the other two and hockey drinking wise?

My mate went to a game once and he was wasted by the end of it.

Is there so much rasmatase surrounding in American football because the game isn't that great?

Yeah I think it's true that you can't drink inside the stadium at NFL games (not sure haven't ever been to one). But you can drink in the parking lot beforehand, which most people do. It's probably a good thing because as far as I know football stadiums are in driving locations.

You can drink at hockey, baseball, and basketball. Individual arenas might have different rules, but generally yes.

American football is a pretty intricate game. everyone says there is a lot of strategy to it. I watch it but I don't know all the strategy stuff. it can be very exciting if you care which team wins. I don't get watching it for the sake of watching it. then it's just a very slow game with guys crashing into each other.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    fada wrote:
    If it's a professional sport, there will probably be alcohol available at the concession stands. Beer is one of the biggest revenue makers at an arena.

For college sports, however, there is no alcohol sold at all (per NCAA rules).
  • Options
    Low scoring but I can watch a 1-1 game and its full of action

No better sport in the Playoffs then Hockey

Actually fighting is way down unfortunately for the Hockey purist

Curious when is the last time you watched a game ?
    Can't remember the last time I watched a game really...at least a couple years. I love playing hockey, but the NHL is ridiculous. I'm just not into the fighting aspect of it.
  • Options
    Of the hurling games I go to ( intercounty ) everyone goes to the pub beforehand and has a few drinks and then head to the game. Brillants atmosphere normally before games
  • Options
    Trust me as an American, if trust and American go together at all anymore... There is enough drinking going on at professional sports games here on a daily basis to fill a small lake. Granted, a lot of stadiums restrict this a bit.. only able to buy 2 at a time (that doesn't stop anyone really), but a lot of stadiums also stop selling alcohol after a certain point. Be it the 3rd quarter or 7th inning or whatever.

I don't think that the selling of beer is up to the sports in general, just the stadiums. Most have much different rules.

I know at Yankee stadium a few years ago they banned beer in section 39. Probably because of the strong possibility of murder. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleacher_Creatures
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078

It has everything
    maybe that selfish retarted strike they had for a FULL SEASON has something to do with it. I love my flyers but since the strike season i realized i can live without them like i did for that season. And to be honest all the rule changes have made the game worse.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    football is #1 due to gambling. Take that out, and it's baseball
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    maybe that selfish retarted strike they had for a FULL SEASON has something to do with it. I love my flyers but since the strike season i realized i can live without them like i did for that season. And to be honest all the rule changes have made the game worse.

well, it was a lockout, but even prior to that... the NHL was a sinking ship.

there are different levels of fans, and you are obviously a more casual one if you can do without an ENTIRE season of a team you so call "love." i wasn't happy with the lockout by anymeans, but for me to turn my back on the sport and my team is just insane.

people can debate all they want about the rule changes, but i honestly believe it is a better game today. no 2 line pass, extra 4 feet in each offensive zone, shoot outs... it makes the players skate and hustle more, and in return you are getting a much faster game.

before someone mentioned that the problem is low scoring. watching two goalies go at it, make 30+ saves and only allow a goal is an amazing sight. not to bash baseball, but watching a pitchers duel is boring as shit. i want to see 500 foot homeruns, not ground out after ground out.