Lucky me!

hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I know that quite a few of you know this already, but for those that don't, I just wanted to make you aware that the sweetest guy in the world is right here on this board ... it's who's_pearljam?!!!!!

We've gotten to be pretty good online friends over the past year or so. Since I found out I had cancer, especially ... he's always sending me the sweetest, most uplifting PMs, I always feel better after talking to him. His whole outlook on life is so positive, and so infectious, it's impossible to be down in the dumps with him around, even when your doctor tells you that you're dying.

We've been talking about getting together for months, but he's in Delaware and I'm in Ohio, he's forever flying off to England or India or on some other exciting adventure, and I'm stuck here getting chemotherapy ... it just hasn't worked out. So I'm leaving for Germany in a little over a week for cancer treatments that aren't available in the U.S., and Bob said the other day that he'd like to see me before I leave. I said sure, let's set something up, here's my phone number. And yesterday he calls and says "I'm just passing through Gettysburg, you gonna be around later?" :D

He was here a few hours later, and I swear it was like I'd known him all my life. We were up until about 2:30 just talking, and today we spent the day at the rock hall and went to dinner before he had to head back. Even my husband, who is not the most outgoing person in the world, said after he left "Wow, he shows up out of nowhere, and it's like he's part of the family!"

So that's it ... no particluar point to this rather long post, other than to say that I'm so fortunate to have met such a beautiful human being ... yet another thing to be grateful to Pearl Jam for! The greatest people in the world really are right here :)

And Bob, as soon as I get better we'll be invading your home :D
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    aww that's awesome! and indeed, bob is an amazing individual...wonderful you had such a good evening with him! cheers to you both, and to all :)
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    hippiemom wrote:
    I know that quite a few of you know this already, but for those that don't, I just wanted to make you aware that the sweetest guy in the world is right here on this board ... it's who's_pearljam?!!!!!

We've gotten to be pretty good online friends over the past year or so. Since I found out I had cancer, especially ... he's always sending me the sweetest, most uplifting PMs, I always feel better after talking to him. His whole outlook on life is so positive, and so infectious, it's impossible to be down in the dumps with him around, even when your doctor tells you that you're dying.

We've been talking about getting together for months, but he's in Delaware and I'm in Ohio, he's forever flying off to England or India or on some other exciting adventure, and I'm stuck here getting chemotherapy ... it just hasn't worked out. So I'm leaving for Germany in a little over a week for cancer treatments that aren't available in the U.S., and Bob said the other day that he'd like to see me before I leave. I said sure, let's set something up, here's my phone number. And yesterday he calls and says "I'm just passing through Gettysburg, you gonna be around later?" :D

He was here a few hours later, and I swear it was like I'd known him all my life. We were up until about 2:30 just talking, and today we spent the day at the rock hall and went to dinner before he had to head back. Even my husband, who is not the most outgoing person in the world, said after he left "Wow, he shows up out of nowhere, and it's like he's part of the family!"

So that's it ... no particluar point to this rather long post, other than to say that I'm so fortunate to have met such a beautiful human being ... yet another thing to be grateful to Pearl Jam for! The greatest people in the world really are right here :)

And Bob, as soon as I get better we'll be invading your home :D

This made me smile just like this emoticon ----> :D

What an awesome story. :D
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    shoot 2 of my favorite people hanging out......lucky for both of you.....:D:D
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    So awesome. :)
    What a beautiful story.
    Best wishes for you in Germany.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • i met him once at the boat cruise in NY, cool guy.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Aaaw Mom! :) That is such a cool happenstance! :)

Much love to you and Bob! True friends are a precious thing. :)

And just in case I miss you,

*~*~*~*~*~*~MAGIC~GOOD VIBRATIONS~LOVE~*~*~*~*~*~*

For the trip. I'll keep sending em. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    Mom,
    I did not know you had cancer, you will be in my thoughts and prayers and I hope you will have a good trip and good fortune with the treatments in Germany
    That is very uplifting and positive good news about your friend and I"m glad he could be so supportive and helpful to you during a difficult time.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes when you get back!
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Such a great story!

Best of luck and thoughts to you on your trip to Germany. Keep us updated (if you can). We'll all be thinking of you!
    Underneath this smile lies everything
    all my hopes, anger, pride and shame...
  • what a nice post to read before i go to bed :)

isn't it amazing the people you meet around here ??!

wishing you lots of good things in Germany ...
    we want good news when you check in ;)

lots of hugs my friend
    (even though you don't know me, i'm a hippie-mom too... and therefore we are sure to be friends...)

take care!!!
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I'm so glad you got to meet him. He sounds like a great guy. We'll be thinking of you. Kick ass in Germany! :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Bob is an awesome dude, I've hung out with him a few times. Cool cat, he is (to say the least).
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Oh, and one other thing you should know about Bob ... he's a HUGE name-dropper! He talked about a whole bunch of you while he was here. And it always went something like this: "Oh, she's the sweetest girl in the world," "He's the greatest guy ever," "She's the nicest person you'll ever meet" etc.

So thanks to Bob, I now know (not that I didn't suspect it already) that you are all sweet, kind, generous, loving, gutsy, friendly, lovable, beautiful, hilarious, adorable, amazing, fantastic, talented, and you know how to drink :D

How could I not love a guy who loves people so much? It's so nice to spend 24 hours with someone and not hear a single negative word about anyone :)
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Its pretty great how a random person you meet on here turns out to be one of lifes greatest gifts! :)
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • hippiemom wrote:
    Oh, and one other thing you should know about Bob ... he's a HUGE name-dropper! He talked about a whole bunch of you while he was here. And it always went something like this: "Oh, she's the sweetest girl in the world," "He's the greatest guy ever," "She's the nicest person you'll ever meet" etc.

So thanks to Bob, I now know (not that I didn't suspect it already) that you are all sweet, kind, generous, loving, gutsy, friendly, lovable, beautiful, hilarious, adorable, amazing, fantastic, talented, and you know how to drink :D

How could I not love a guy who loves people so much? It's so nice to spend 24 hours with someone and not hear a single negative word about anyone :)
    yup that explains him.

hes always willing to hear the other side too!!!! I dont know how to be that positive. :P

and he often mentions that you are sweet, kind, generous, loving, gutsy, friendly, lovable, beautiful, hilarious, adorable, amazing, fantastic, talented, and you know how to drink.

(minus the drink part). :D

Thanks for sharing. :)
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • SENROCK! wrote:
    Its pretty great how a random person you meet on here turns out to be one of lifes greatest gifts! :)
    Yeah....and never something you ever imagined to begin with. Its a GREAT gift.

:)
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I'm with you there Hippiemom. Your post reminded me of the time this summer when Bob appeared with Buru in my garden where a few of us had gathered before the Wembley show. I already knew Marina and Bob's beautiful smile and eyes really lit up the place. I fell in love with him that day (maybe the Oreos he carried delicately over the oceans for me had something to do with it!), so did my daughter and even my husband! It was great being able to share my food and beer with him :D The thing is with Bob, he's genuine. I've met a number of beautiful people from this board... hope one day you'll come to London and my garden too! You too rarghrargh!

All the positive vibes and karma I can munster (and that little bit more) will be with you.
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    What a great story!

Good luck in Germany!
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • redrock wrote:
    All the positive vibes and karma I can munster (and that little bit more) will be with you.

YES!!! :)

((A confident calm over you))

I have to rewrite- i wrote you something at myspace but there's nothing in "sent." I'll bug you again tomorrow. :o

redrock- :) thanks. ;) I cant wait. I better stop blabbin in this thread- its just way too special.
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    I'm so very happy to hear you had such a good time. :) made me too think about this summer and meeting mr. Bob.

it's amazing to think that all those great qualities can be found in one single person. meeting him is almost like meeting a fairytale charachter. :D

and yes, he's always telling about all these amazing people he's met, all the good things he has to say.. makes me want to meet everyone even though I wouldn't have heard of them other than through him.

good thoughts sent your way hippiemom!!
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    Thanks for sharing, hippiemom. Your story has me welling up with happy tears.

Best of luck in Germany!

:)
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Awwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!! He is the BEST! I also LOVE him dearly....every ones life he touches is truly blessed!

Good luck to you sweet HM with your treatments....I'm sending GOOD VIBES!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i met him in new york once. he is a great guy. i hear he's getting into politics now... that's reassuring that there are some good people still braving that field.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    LUCKY YOU indeed.......and lucky BOB! i am so glad you two share such a friednship...and got to meet and spend time together. two truly wonderful and beautiful souls should know each other.....and in real life. :)

i wish you the VERY BEST hippiemom...in germany....and everywhere....always.......

MUCH love!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
    SENROCK! wrote:
    Thats so true and awesome. Gives me hope in this world and people. cause I know there are some awesome ones outhere...

Ive heard of Bob and actually met him in London briefly.
    Too bad we didnt really talk much, but from all your posts I see he's an awesome person and a great PJ fan. We've got mutual friends, too, so Im sure I'll come across this kind sould on the next tour.

What an awesome post, Hippemom. :)
    Wishing you well in Germany...
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • lannerslanners Posts: 458
    thanks for sharing such a touching and happy story with us! it's so rare these days to hear the good stuff that it's refreshing when someone does tell a happy tale.

best wishes to you on your trip to Germany. i'll be sending you the best of the best vibes a girl can summon.
    i. am. mine.
  • :)

Man,,,, I dialed her, and left a message, and didn't hear back for a bit, and then I had to go to the store, and then I just had to go!
    So I hopped in my car and headed west. Haha,,, I wasn't even sure where Hippiemom lived. I was pretty sure it was Cleveland, but then I was wondering it it was even Ohio.
    It was 3 hours into the drive in Gettysburg when I heard back and I WAS going the right way. I would have turned around or veered to wherever Hippiemom was, though.

Then, at 10:00 that night stood in front of me,,,,, the one, the only, Hippiemom. So real, but so surreal at the same time! Standing in Hippiemom's livingroom 450 miles away!

Hippiemom, it was SO great to meet you and to talk to you and hug you and to meet your awesome family. Why was I not surprised that your hubby and daughters are so cool and loving? There is so much love and strength in your family (AND your dog! :D). This, as well as the love and strength that you get from you friends there, and from right here in Delaware and on this board, is what is going see you through this!
    Like I said somewhere in a PM to you, when I was standing in London at Wembley, with Bambi GIrl and her bro, and PearlJam walked out on stage and started with my favorite song, I could only think of you, Hippiemom,

"How I wish for you today"

ANNNNNNNND! I got to see Duane Allman's and Jerry Garcia's guitars at the Rock and Roll Museum. :cool:
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Anyone who doesn't believe in the possibility of gaining real friendships on the internet needs to read this thread. :D:D
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    How sweet!!

Happy for ya both...........

Edit: Best Wishes for Germany
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I already commented on this thread...but I just keep seeing and thinking "wow...this is so cool!" :D:D

Anyone who doesn't believe in the possibility of gaining real friendships on the internet needs to read this thread. :D : D

i agree.....some wonderful people here....:D:D
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Hippiemom:
    What a wonderful thread.
    You and who's pearljam have a bond
    that is a great one.
    Be well, be strong, in Germany.
    Sending out positive vibes for you.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where