Alcohol

tylerpjtxtylerpjtx Posts: 201
edited November 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
so drinking is getting way too easy for me lately. i wouldnt say i'm an alcoholic by any means (but maybe i am just in denial)...i dont drink every day or anyhting. but when the weekend comes i just get hammered cause there's nothing else to do. being in college doesnt help. i mean its fun and stuff...but blacking out is pointless. ive noticed my mental clarity is lacking...i really feel dumber than i used to be haha. so yeah its a problem....not an emergency....but def a decent problem. so have any of you been through that? i know i can just stay in and not go out...but i HATE missing out on possible memories to be made with all my buddies (as dumb as it sounds).
all these burning battlefields are now behind us, life has brought us here together to remind us, that love will rise above it all and just keep growin, life keeps flowing and every moment starts right here with us
-mason jennings
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    Just don't drink and drive!! :)
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    tylerpjtx wrote:
    so drinking is getting way too easy for me lately. i wouldnt say i'm an alcoholic by any means (but maybe i am just in denial)...i dont drink every day or anyhting. but when the weekend comes i just get hammered cause there's nothing else to do. being in college doesnt help. i mean its fun and stuff...but blacking out is pointless. ive noticed my mental clarity is lacking...i really feel dumber than i used to be haha. so yeah its a problem....not an emergency....but def a decent problem. so have any of you been through that? i know i can just stay in and not go out...but i HATE missing out on possible memories to be made with all my buddies (as dumb as it sounds).

Sounds like if u drink that much u will miss out on these memories. Look i dont drink during the week, i get pissed once a week. But the thing with me is i always know when to stop. I have never once passed out (I always claim i chose to go to sleep in that position on the garage floor :o)

im not saying i have never chucked, but generally speaking, u have to know ur body, and know when to stop, I love drinking wit my mates, but drinking so much is pointless.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I'm the opposite. I drink every day but never get hammered. Rarely more than 4 or 5 drinks.
  • chinobaezachinobaeza Posts: 2,489
    Just don't drink and drive!! :)
    excelent advice!!
  • ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,015
    I'm the opposite. I drink every day but never get hammered. Rarely more than 4 or 5 drinks.
    I'm pretty much right there with you...I drink a bit every day, but try not to overdo it...not sure which is worse?
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    tylerpjtx wrote:
    I'm EXACTLY the same. I don't drink everyday, more like 2 or 3 times a week, normally once a week to great excess. It's probably worse for me than drinking in moderation more often because this way I'm hitting the old liver with a massive load all at once. I just always regret it the next day but still do it the next time. I do find myself occasionally wanting to get wrecked to make myself feel better about something and that is NOT good. Drinking should never be a solution to anything. The thing about your friend's doesn't sound dumb. I feel the same, and to be honest some of the best times of my life would never have happened if I hadn't been totally loaded. I just need to keep an eye on it.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • i drank so much last night i had puke coming out of my eyeballs.
  • eoboeobo Posts: 102
    you might just need to find other, non alcoholic things to do when your mates go out so you don't get the chance. i purposely have band practice the night i normally used to get really wasted to distract me.

something nescessary but fun.
    heh, keep her lit.

Dublin, 23/08/2006 = Lifechanging! X D

Katowice, 13/06/2007 = Phenomenal = )

London, 18/06/2007 = Pretty darn sweet = )

London Poster Wanted, PM if you have one for sale = )
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    In the case of my college, the weekends get ridiculously boring if you're not into the partying scene. I've gone to a bunch of parties but the scene got old pretty quick, and now I'm staying away from it and getting my fair share of boredom as a result of it.

It's a tough choice in college... I bet there are plenty of people like you who basically go out and get hammered because there's simply nothing else to do.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • random fact:

Dr. drew from loveline says that if you have blackouts then you're an alcoholic. You may not be to the point where you're actually dependant on alcohol, but the 'alcoholism' gene is in you and if you keep up the heavy drinking then you'll become a dependant alcholic.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    I'm drinking jack and coke right now....no xanax tonight!! :)
    "What a stupid lamb."
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    tylerpjtx wrote:

im a recovering alcoholic. not sure what you want to know though. i also couldn't stand to miss a night out. i assumed that wherever i was, they were probably having more fun somewhere else. especially if i stayed home. if i drank enough wherever i was at though, those thoughts stopped and i could actually enjoy myself. it got very bad from there.
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    I love my wine. Never blacked out, though.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

I love my wine. Never blacked out, though.
    Same here.. I usually drink red wine.

If I drink everyday, does that make me an alcoholic???

I never give myself hangovers. I usually have between 2 and 5 drinks. I rarely drink for more than an hour or two. I rarely drink before 9 PM. I honestly have no urge to drink at any other point of the day. The only reasons I drink is because of social events and it helps me wind down before bed. I hate shots and mixed drinks. I only like beer and red wine.

-It doesn't affect my work
    -It doesn't effect my family
    -It actually improves my social life.

Have I justified drinking everyday while not being an alcoholic???

:)
  • sounds like me when i went to unt for a couple years

I never give myself hangovers. I usually have between 2 and 5 drinks. I rarely drink for more than an hour or two. I rarely drink before 9 PM. I honestly have no urge to drink at any other point of the day. The only reasons I drink is because of social events and it helps me wind down before bed. I hate shots and mixed drinks. I only like beer and red wine.

http://www.aa.org/en_is_aa_for_you.cfm?PageID=71

personally, i don't like those questions. i get the feeling 75% of the population is alcoholic by that quiz. but i guess it's a start.
    Most of us have been unwilling to admit we were real alcoholics. No person likes to think he is bodily and mentally different from his fellows. Therefore, it is not surprising that our drinking careers have been characterized by countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people. The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing.

Here are some of the methods we have tried: Drinking beer only, limiting the number of drinks, never drinking alone, never drinking in the morning, drinking only at home, never having it in the house, never drinking during business hours, drinking only at parties, switching from scotch to brandy, drinking only natural wines, agreeing to resign if ever drunk on the job, taking a trip, not taking a trip, swearing off forever (with and without a solemn oath), taking more physical exercise, reading inspirational books, going to health farms and sanitariums, accepting voluntary commitment to asylums we could increase the list ad infinitum.

-alcoholics anonymous, chapter 3
  • chikevinchikevin Posts: 421
    random fact:

Dr. drew from loveline says that if you have blackouts then you're an alcoholic. You may not be to the point where you're actually dependant on alcohol, but the 'alcoholism' gene is in you and if you keep up the heavy drinking then you'll become a dependant alcholic.

sigh...
    I think our society is obsessed with putting labels on people (for example as with 'bipolar disorder'...everyone seems to have it). In France it's totally normal to drink wine every day. I don't think they have a meal without it!

personally, i don't like those questions. i get the feeling 75% of the population is alcoholic by that quiz. but i guess it's a start.
    Being someone who drinks everyday, I easily answered no to all of those questions. Guess I'm not an alcoholic! :D

It is going on 11:30 here and I haven't had a drink all day.. guess its about that time to open a bottle and throw on some music!
    Being someone who drinks everyday, I easily answered no to all of those questions. Guess I'm not an alcoholic! :D

It is going on 11:30 here and I haven't had a drink all day.. guess its about that time to open a bottle and throw on some music!

sounds awesome!! :)
    "What a stupid lamb."

Join the club!! :)

• sounds like me when i went to unt for a couple years
    hahah..funny...cuz thats where i am
    all these burning battlefields are now behind us, life has brought us here together to remind us, that love will rise above it all and just keep growin, life keeps flowing and every moment starts right here with us
    -mason jennings
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    I think our society is obsessed with putting labels on people (for example as with 'bipolar disorder'...everyone seems to have it). In France it's totally normal to drink wine every day. I don't think they have a meal without it!

the most useful medical definition of alcoholism ive come across is that it is a drinking habit in a person that.....affects their working life, social life and relationships.

the frequency and trends dont really matter cos they differ from person to person. the thing that unites alcoholics is the mental effect and physical effect that alcohol has on them.

i had a similar thing to the original poster myself only three years ago. my own solution was multi-faceted cos the problem was a manifestation of all the things wrong in my life at the time. sorting them out helped me sort the bigger problem out. but saying to yourself that you dont want to let drink affect you in a certain way is a big starting point
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    random fact:

:?
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Dr Drew is an ASSHAT!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

once i answered no to this question "Is A.A. For You?", the rest were pretty meaningless :lol:

now who wants to have a drink tonight.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Dr Drew is an ASSHAT!

YEAH!!!!! F you Dr. Drew!!! You don't know me!!!

:lol::lol::lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • shepshep Posts: 5,763
    81 wrote:

once i answered no to this question "Is A.A. For You?", the rest were pretty meaningless :lol:

now who wants to have a drink tonight.

Whooo-hoo, I passed! I only answered Yes to 2 questions.

That was a pretty stupid questionaire...

So many of the questions need proper definitions... for example "Do you have blackouts?"... I would reflexively answer no... but about once a year it probably happens... so do they mean constantly? or ever? Cause if they mean once in a blue moon, I'm sure everyone on the AET has to answer "Yes". :P

Same applies for "Do you ever have an eyeopener?" Again I would reflexively answer no, but for example, if I was in Vegas partying with the boys, had been out the night before, and new today was going to be much of the same... yea, I'd order a breakfast beer.

So the bottom line is alcoholism is subjective... and I view myself as perfectly acceptable. 8-)
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    shep wrote:

Whooo-hoo, I passed! I only answered Yes to 2 questions.

That was a pretty stupid questionaire...

So many of the questions need proper definitions... for example "Do you have blackouts?"... I would reflexively answer no... but about once a year it probably happens... so do they mean constantly? or ever? Cause if they mean once in a blue moon, I'm sure everyone on the AET has to answer "Yes". :P

Same applies for "Do you ever have an eyeopener?" Again I would reflexively answer no, but for example, if I was in Vegas partying with the boys, had been out the night before, and new today was going to be much of the same... yea, I'd order a breakfast beer.

So the bottom line is alcoholism is subjective... and I view myself as perfectly acceptable. 8-)

Good points shep!! I agree that it is subjective..unless of course you can't function on a daily basis, but a lot of these most people have done at least a time or two. Sneaky questionnaire! :nono: