Options

any fraternity/sorority people here?

2»

Comments

• Options
    This, dear Sid, is what frat's are all about-
    obviously you didnt read ANYTHING else i said. he called me out so i called him out right back. quit being so close minded. i started this thread so anyone who was greek could talk about it...not so ppl could bash greek systems. if i'm the first person to ever say "fuck you" then i guess i'm just a huge douchebag. read my first post on this thread...tell me i'm a typical frat boy who's not understanding of other ppl...

and soulsinging, sorry that happend to your girl man...that sucks bad. sry those guys were such assholes.
    all these burning battlefields are now behind us, life has brought us here together to remind us, that love will rise above it all and just keep growin, life keeps flowing and every moment starts right here with us
    -mason jennings
  • Options
    iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    a fratboy raped my gf. all of their parties insisted that any guy going had to bring 2 girls. so if i was town, my gf couldnt take me anywhere without finding another girl willing to go with us solo. then they had separate kegs for girls and guys. needless to say, the girls were all made considerably drunker. and when one of them took her upstairs to show her where she could pass out, she woke up no longer a virgin.

you take that long distance phone call in the morning with your gf sobbing about what those guys did to her at their party and tell me frats are cool.
    that sucks.
    that's weird about the separate kegs...i wouldve left after finding that out!!
    I hated one fraternity after a hazing incident where a friends nose was nearly ripped off his face when him and a group of pledges were thrown from 2 trucks playing chicken. some can be pretty shitty, but they tend to get kicked off campus...as this group did.
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Wow, some of the anti-frat generalizations on here are disgusting. I would never join a frat because it's just not my thing, and sure, some of the people in them are complete asswipes... but I would never generalize and say that they are ALL like that. Come on now. You have no right to generalize, ESPECIALLY if you've never been in one.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    DOSW wrote:
    Wow, some of the anti-frat generalizations on here are disgusting.

It's not a generalization....its truth! That's what frats do, they Judge people to see if they meet their "standards". Who the fuck are these drunken idiots to pass judgment on anyone? The whole greek life thing is a waste of time, and money. If and when I have kids and they think they're gonna do that shit, I'll cut their college funding off.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    It's not a generalization....its truth! That's what frats do, they Judge people to see if they meet their "standards". Who the fuck are these drunken idiots to pass judgment on anyone? The whole greek life thing is a waste of time, and money. If and when I have kids and they think they're gonna do that shit, I'll cut their college funding off.

Give me a fucking break man. There are bad guys and good guys in all frats... you can't judge them all by the actions of the more vocal portion of the group.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    DOSW wrote:
    Give me a fucking break man. There are bad guys and good guys in all frats... you can't judge them all by the actions of the more vocal portion of the group.

well...I have yet to meet a "good" one.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    DOSW wrote:
    Wow, some of the anti-frat generalizations on here are disgusting. I would never join a frat because it's just not my thing, and sure, some of the people in them are complete asswipes... but I would never generalize and say that they are ALL like that. Come on now. You have no right to generalize, ESPECIALLY if you've never been in one.

sure, not every person in a frat is evil. but the system itself is corrupt. it's a holdover from the good ole boy days. it's about building your little boys club and trying to get away with as much as you can under the guise of brotherhood. it's about networking and enabling in the worst senses of the word. an attempt at privilege. and what happened to my gf is by no means rare. everyone i've ever spoken to who went to a frat party has recounted to me some sort of sexual harassment or borderline date rape. they plan this shit. it's like a built in wingman to enable and protect date rapists and an excuse for otherwise decent guys to engage in disgusting practices with the support and encouragement of their brothers in the name of frat bonding and friendly competition. and it's disgusting.

not everyone in a frat is a bad person. but the frat system is outdated and unnecessary and should be done away with.
  • Options
    they plan this shit. it's like a built in wingman to enable and protect date rapists and an excuse for otherwise decent guys to engage in disgusting practices with the support and encouragement of their brothers in the name of frat bonding and friendly competition.

I think we can all agree that the situation with your GF was horrible, but stating that fraternities exist simply to give guys an avenue to commit sexual assault and rape is a truckload of horseshit. Asshole fraternity guys are assholes before they join, and they'd be assholes if they weren't in a fraternity. You don't automatically turn into one 5 seconds after initiation. People are always shocked when they find out I was in a fraternity in college ("you're not a frat guy!!!!!!") because of the lame stereotypes people have against them. If you don't like them, fine... it's not for you. But don't judge those of us who were in one and paint us with the same broad brush as some jerkoffs you dealt with.

I was in a fraternity (Delta Tau Delta) for 3 years. NOT ONCE did I rape anyone, force someone to drink or haze anyone. I made a lot of great friends, I volunteered a hell of a lot of my time (soup kitchen in Kalamazoo as well as weekly tutoring/mentoring at an elementary school)... I got a lot out of it. Yeah, I drank and went to parties and attempted to impress women with my sense of humor and vast musical knowledge :D... just like every other college guy.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    delta upsilon

Loved my time living in the fraternity house

made friends and had experiences that I would not have otherwise had

of course, we drank and partied way too much
  • Options
    Motown322 wrote:
    I think we can all agree that the situation with your GF was horrible, but stating that fraternities exist simply to give guys an avenue to commit sexual assault and rape is a truckload of horseshit. Asshole fraternity guys are assholes before they join, and they'd be assholes if they weren't in a fraternity. You don't automatically turn into one 5 seconds after initiation. People are always shocked when they find out I was in a fraternity in college ("you're not a frat guy!!!!!!") because of the lame stereotypes people have against them. If you don't like them, fine... it's not for you. But don't judge those of us who were in one and paint us with the same broad brush as some jerkoffs you dealt with.

I was in a fraternity (Delta Tau Delta) for 3 years. NOT ONCE did I rape anyone, force someone to drink or haze anyone. I made a lot of great friends, I volunteered a hell of a lot of my time (soup kitchen in Kalamazoo as well as weekly tutoring/mentoring at an elementary school)... I got a lot out of it. Yeah, I drank and went to parties and attempted to impress women with my sense of humor and vast musical knowledge :D... just like every other college guy.

why do you think you got painted with those stereotypes? perhaps becos most people on the outside looking in have had negative experiences with fraternities?

yes, assholes will be assholes. but they get egged on and supported by the frat system where parties are built around getting as many girls in as possible, getting them drunker than they should be, and taking advantage of it. the house parties i went to were either come one, come all, let's tear the roof off the sucker, or just low key friends getting together. it was only fraternity parties that had that very targeted "checking the numbers" game going on. even my old roommate, who is a GREAT guy, admitted that 95% of their parties were about seeing who could get the most girls. maybe it doesn't explicitly say "let's date rape the freshmen," but the fact is it encourages, enables, and supports the kind of mindset and behavior that leads to harassment and date rape.

and now im leaving becos i feel sick just think about this stuff again.
  • Options
    Perspective is different for those looking in versus being in. Not part of something - knock it down - its what people do on message boards.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    I was Alpha Epsilon Pi at Queens College in NY back in early 90's....we had a blast...
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    I remember you, tyler. And from what I remember you don't sound anything like the typical fratboy stereotype at all.

But I don't know you, so I don't know what you're like and nobody here does. And they don't know every fratboy either, so a generalization about fraternities is exactly as any other generalization.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    I remember you, tyler. And from what I remember you don't sound anything like the typical fratboy stereotype at all.

But I don't know you, so I don't know what you're like and nobody here does. And they don't know every fratboy either, so a generalization about fraternities is exactly as any other generalization.
    well thank you sir. i appreciate it. and yah, generalizations in any sense are wrong. i guess theres a reason stereotypes exist...but to say its true for everyone is wrong.
    all these burning battlefields are now behind us, life has brought us here together to remind us, that love will rise above it all and just keep growin, life keeps flowing and every moment starts right here with us
    -mason jennings
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    tylerpjtx wrote:
    well thank you sir. i appreciate it. and yah, generalizations in any sense are wrong. i guess theres a reason stereotypes exist...but to say its true for everyone is wrong.

Yeah, exactly.

At least I think I remember you, you're a musician, right? And if I remember correctly, a talented one.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    Yeah, exactly.

At least I think I remember you, you're a musician, right? And if I remember correctly, a talented one.
    haha the first part is right. the second....i'm not so sure. lol, i've just been lucky maybe. i cant believe you remembered! its been a long time since i've been around here.
    -mason jennings
  • Options
    tylerpjtx wrote:
    i guess theres a reason stereotypes exist...but to say its true for everyone is wrong.

that's exactly what i said. not every frat member is a douchebag, but there is a reason they have a bad rep.
  • Options
    that's exactly what i said. not every frat member is a douchebag, but there is a reason they have a bad rep.
    i understand where you're coming from man.
    -mason jennings