Options

Insomnia

edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
I am going crazy b/c I cannot fall asleep. Once I am asleep I can sleep thru the night, but falling asleep is a problem. I sit in bed - even after taking tylenol or advil PM's until almost 2am before passing out - than i am dead at work the next day and no matter how tired I am I still cannot fall asleep the next night.

Any remedies other than sleeping pills? suggestions welcome - thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Liquor or a lot of beer.

always work for me :D
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    I feel your pain, I haven't had a good night's sleep since the 18th December.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    I saw 3 am roll around again this morning :mad:
    And up at 7am. It's no fun.
    I'm knackered and I just can't drop off. When I get to sleep the bloody alarm clock wakes me up :(
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    I'm gonna try and sleep well tonight, though I'll probably saw my ear off so I pass out ;)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    I am going crazy b/c I cannot fall asleep. Once I am asleep I can sleep thru the night, but falling asleep is a problem. I sit in bed - even after taking tylenol or advil PM's until almost 2am before passing out - than i am dead at work the next day and no matter how tired I am I still cannot fall asleep the next night.

I have the same problems. Smoking pot is the only thing that makes me sleep. Drinking doesn't help me at all, I can take like 4 benadryl and it I don't get tired, but if I smoke a bowl I can always sleep.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I have a few suggestions not suitable for public viewing

;)
  • Options
    I really think exercise is a good idea. Do something physically tiring?
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    I'm gonna try and sleep well tonight, though I'll probably saw my ear off so I pass out ;)
    Think I'll stick to the copious amounts of alcohol thanks :p
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:

;)

Yeah, btw I had a few people ask me to tell you to stop PMing them that shit. ;)

• Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I really think exercise is a good idea. Do something physically tiring?
    that works but you must also shower before bed.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    LongRd. wrote:
    that works but you must also shower before bed.

You don't have to. Shower in the morning. Relax people, relax!
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,673
    There are many good sleep hygiene techniques.

1. Only use your bed for sleeping in. (Okay and well, that too!) No reading, tv, etc...

2. Keep your bedroom quiet and dark.

3. Develop a regular sleep pattern. 11-7 or something that fits your lifestlye.

4. When you can't sleep, get up, and go into the other room for 15 minutes. Read. Then go back to bed.

5. It's nice to go to sleep not hungry,

6. Alcohol doesn't help sleep. Neither does other stimulants like caffeine.

7. Vigorous exercise a few hours prior to bedtime doesn't help.

8. Chlorohydrate is a non-narcotic that aids in sleep.

9. Lessen the stress in your life. Practice a quiet mind with meditation.

10. Count sheep!
  • Options
    GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    I used to be such a good sleeper and now I often can't fall asleep and then every night I wake up 5-10 times a night. I am exhusted everyday and feel like death. I dont know if it is anxiety or what. We have a full size futon mattress which is so uncomfortable and small. I got so fed up the other day we went out and bought a pillow top king mattress, that will be delivered a week from today. I can't wait!
  • Options
    tish wrote:

1. Only use your bed for sleeping in. (Okay and well, that too!) No reading, tv, etc...

4. When you can't sleep, get up, and go into the other room for 15 minutes. Read. Then go back to bed.

10. Count sheep!

You've had this problem too, huh? :)
  • Options
    Lately I've been doing this thing where I am so tired but my body is restless. It doesn't matter how physically active I am during the day. I don't know what's up. I toss and turn and I want to go to sleep so badly, but I just can't be still long enough to do it.
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    I used to be such a good sleeper and now I often can't fall asleep and then every night I wake up 5-10 times a night. I am exhusted everyday and feel like death. I dont know if it is anxiety or what. We have a full size futon mattress which is so uncomfortable and small. I got so fed up the other day we went out and bought a pillow top king mattress, that will be delivered a week from today. I can't wait!

Sounds like anxiety. My siblings and I all have bad anxiety, two are medicated on pills and two are medicated on marijuana. I used to not wake up for anything, not even a loud alarm clock going off right next to me ear. When i was a kid my parents would have to physically come and wake me up. The past few years I have had trouble falling asleep and I wake up a lot throughout the night. I don't really like taking pills or anything like that, so i just hit my bubbler and I can fall asleep with no problems.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:

;)

that wakes me up - I would start cleaning the entire house.
  • Options
    You've had this problem too, huh? :)

Yah, but then I knocked out the amphetamines. Go figure.
    When all else fails: hope you have a gorgeous friend with a prescription bottle! Or a good lay. Or better... both!
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222

ok you've got two choices,

work till 8 o'clock every day or

have sex for at least 2 hours whereby you do all the work and your partner just lies there doing nothing

the choice is yours :):D
  • Options
    Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    I have the same problem lately. I go lay on my couch and watch a documentary or something of the kind and I'm away in a few minutes... But I'd rather fall asleep in bed (yeah I should buy an extra TV).

Smoking pot never helped get to sleep unless I'd smoke very large quantities and than I couldn't get up, so no help there. Same goes for alcohol.

Relax yourself in any way that fits. An orgasm seems to have that quality, so I've been told.
    your light's reflected now
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    tish wrote:

10. Count sheep!

This is good advice. Exercise does help, but indeed not too close to bedtime.

And of course there's always pot ;)
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    nothing works :(

I know it's all stress related and will go away with time, but while it's happening it really stinks.

The kicker is I finally fall asleep and my little guy has a nightmare, screams and scares the hell out of me. Then I wake up again and cannot fall back asleep!!!!!!! arrggggghhhhh
  • Options
    I can feel one of those nights coming on....

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    nothing works :(

I know it's all stress related and will go away with time, but while it's happening it really stinks.

The kicker is I finally fall asleep and my little guy has a nightmare, screams and scares the hell out of me. Then I wake up again and cannot fall back asleep!!!!!!! arrggggghhhhh

seriously-warm ovaltine
    deep breathing-always helps me
    do some yoga stretches
    and well um, the sex suggestion is pretty good
    no tv
    no music
    eye mask
  • Options
    I sometimes drink warm milk and take a hot shower.
  • Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Orgasms work best for me.
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Options
    PJPixie wrote:
    Orgasms work best for me.

You and Josh right? heheh :D
  • Options

word

• Options
    Ever wonder why Sen spends so much time at my house? :D:D:D

• Options
    PJPixie wrote:
    Ever wonder why Sen spends so much time at my house? :D:D:D

I do now. lol