Options

Quitting School

PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,014
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
i really dont like school and its not just the school work. the first semester wasnt that bad, i kinda was looking forword to it all. i mean i even went and got my ged so i could go back. but the whole thing has been a let down. but now in my 4th semester ive hated school since like halfway through the 2nd. i find the whole thing depressing and everything.

for certain reasons im in a pretty good deal of getting everything paid for plus i get UC. so basically i am getting paid to go to school. so i dont want to ruin this chance. but like school makes me so depressed. it took like 2 weeks into x-mass break for things to kinda lift and now just three days or so back i dont even wanna wake up.

last semester i joined student government cause i like politics and all that junk. that whole ordeal is a mess and just showed how useless it is. i really thought about quitting that too. i just might tell them next meeting that im done. i thought about quitting pretty much after a month of doing it and yet im still there.

i think school is to social for me for one. i honestly dont care if i pass or not. i make no extra effort at all. i dont study for tests. i just go do the work and then leave. for me school is like an obligation and thats it. so im thinking its time to quit and get another minimum wage job.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    How long before you are done?
    And I assume you mean university?
  • Options
    ill been kinda done in decemeber. unless i choose to go on, which i wont.

and yes college.
  • Options
    ill been kinda done in decemeber.

I don't know what this means...other than that you need to stay in school. :)
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    that's pretty much how i felt and i also quit school last semester.

i've thought about it and think i'm going to try and suck it up and go back.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    If you don't care, you should definitely quit and let someone else take your spot who wants to be there.
  • Options
    I would say suck it up and finish it. I'm assuming you can't get your $$ back.
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    If you don't care, you should definitely quit and let someone else take your spot who wants to be there.

theres plenty of room for people still. there have been increases in enrollment and classes still arent always full. they sometimes cancel classes cause there arent enough students.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    Stay in school especially since you are on a free ride (it sounds.) A lot of my college sucked, but the diploma is worth it.

First and foremost, change that attitude. Make it a priority, make it worth your time. I wish I had more good natured fun in college, even fun was stressful :D

So, I'm not saying don't have life because even though you are in University/College, you are still living. What I'm saying is find something worth your time. Give yourself a week to just wander around campus, and get excited about something new. Maybe change your major direction. Expand your mind in possiblities.

The one thing about college - you'll never be around a group of people so dedicated to learning again. Even the ones that don't study and party all the time see value in getting that diploma, in learning something new.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    I would say suck it up and finish it. I'm assuming you can't get your $$ back.

the whole thing is free, i mentioned that. probably part of the problem. its kinda a built in guilt trip, haha.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    dude
    you are crazy

best place to meet women=in class/at school

Thats all the reason in the world. Stay in school.
  • Options
    the whole thing is free, i mentioned that. probably part of the problem. its kinda a built in guilt trip, haha.
    Sorry. I DID read that, but as far as my brain is concerned it is still 3 am.
    I still say suck it up and get er done.
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    dude
    you are crazy

best place to meet women=in class/at school

Thats all the reason in the world. Stay in school.

i wonder if i wasn't married if i would be more motivated in school...

• Options
    brainofPJ wrote:
    i wonder if i wasn't married if i would be more motivated in school...
    Assuming you graduate, what do you plan on doing after December?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Stay in school especially since you are on a free ride (it sounds.) A lot of my college sucked, but the diploma is worth it.

First and foremost, change that attitude. Make it a priority, make it worth your time. I wish I had more good natured fun in college, even fun was stressful :D

So, I'm not saying don't have life because even though you are in University/College, you are still living. What I'm saying is find something worth your time. Give yourself a week to just wander around campus, and get excited about something new. Maybe change your major direction. Expand your mind in possiblities.

The one thing about college - you'll never be around a group of people so dedicated to learning again. Even the ones that don't study and party all the time see value in getting that diploma, in learning something new.

ive had a year to walk around.....and there is nothing new.

and to who every said girls. what if i dont like girls? and im not very social. i dont like being around lots of people. more than 3 people is very awkward.

(i dont know how i go to pj shows)

see everything that goes with school i dont like.

oddly i now have to get ready to go to school

yippie!!!!!!!!!!!(that was sarcasm)
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Assuming you graduate, what do you plan on doing after December?

actually i'm not in school right now.

we are going on a trip so i wanted to wait until this semester ends...

and now with a move to chicago looking like it could happen, i need to start looking at schools in the big city.

• Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    The one thing about college - you'll never be around a group of people so dedicated to learning again.

Where did you go to school? I want to teach there :p
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    meme wrote:
    Where did you go to school? I want to teach there :p
    University of Michigan.

Isn't that the best part of college - to learn? To be around people who want to learn? I, of course, always wanted a zillion-dollar salary after I graduated, but sometimes life is not what we expected. :D

I wished I learned more languages. In hindsight I think my priorities were a little off. I was too stressed out and narrow in focus to take advantage of learning what I really wanted to do. If someone convinced me then that do what you love and the money will follow - I would have attended more language courses. My one regret is that I didn't pursue languages more. When those classes were hard I just stopped. Who earns money from knowing different languages anyway - if only I knew the endless possibilities!
  • Options
    brainofPJ wrote:
    actually i'm not in school right now.

we are going on a trip so i wanted to wait until this semester ends...

and now with a move to chicago looking like it could happen, i need to start looking at schools in the big city.
    Sorry, I responded to the wrong person.
  • Options
    what is it about school that depresses you?

god I love school, I wish could afford to just keep getting graduate degrees.
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    To the oringal poster...what are you studying? If you don't care, it's probably because you're just not interested in it. I was the same until I got to university level, and then I became interested in what I was studying.

4 years later, i've lost interest. :D
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    University of Michigan.

Isn't that the best part of college - to learn? To be around people who want to learn? I, of course, always wanted a zillion-dollar salary after I graduated, but sometimes life is not what we expected. :D

ah it totally is the best part. and to be surrounded by some brilliant people and all curious people who are also learning...and your whole life is focused on learning. I love it. Grad school wasn't quite as amazing like that as undergrad- it was still fun but undergrad was just like wow...every day is something you didn't know before. I majored in econ and minored in german but I took so many other interesting classes- art history, social anthropology, victorian literature, archeology, music, and a ton of biology and natural science...

damn I still miss college after 8 years.
  • Options
    acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    I guarantee you will regret it in the long run if you leave.
    Mark my words....mark my words.
    Do what ever you have to in order to finish.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    I was in such a bad way my last semester that I would contemplate suicide - luckily I don't like mess or pain. There goes that option, I guess I had to just attend classes. Luckily, my last semester included a Shakespeare Class and a class on social psychology. They were two of my favorite classes throughout the entire time at college. When I graduated I was still clueless what to do, but at least I wasn't intimidated by Shakespeare anymore. I remember Henry V came out in a movie during the semester and the TA recommended it. I don't remember ever feeling so mesmorized by a movie. I felt strong surges of inspiration while seeing that movie. The kind that you can feel behind your eyes and in your fingertips. That's it, get into Shakespeare, and watch some good movies :D

I wanted to attend U of M since I was 12. There was no way I wasn't going to graduate even if the year SUCKED for the most part.
  • Options
    audiodave wrote:
    To the oringal poster...what are you studying? If you don't care, it's probably because you're just not interested in it. I was the same until I got to university level, and then I became interested in what I was studying.

4 years later, i've lost interest. :D
    I agree...sometimes we lose sight of enjoying the present cause we're so focused on the goal - graduating and getting whatever future job you want. Try to take classes that really interest you. I started doing that my second year of college and completely switched majors, found something I loved learning about and that I love doing as a career now. It made a world of difference.
    There's a light when my baby's in my arms :)
  • Options
    i took kinda what interested me, then i got bored. so i changed it and i still dont like school. and if i quit i dont think id regret it. i dropped out of high school and went working. after working for awhile i thought i should go back cause everyday i had to beat my self. and im not into physical stuff. so i went back to school. so ive tasted what its like to work crummy jobs. and i liked that better.

kinda off topic but when i was still seeing my therapist she told me to get out and do stuff and all that crap. so i thought school would be something she'd recommend. but school just makes stuff worse. i honestly think i dont like being around people.

i can say i havent enjoyed any of it for months. the best part is its close to the comic shop. but i could go there anyways. i sometimes just sit there wondering why people would actually pay for this. i dont even want to go for free and people go in debt for school. i really dont understand it.

ive read everyones responses and there just doesnt seem to be a single good reason for me to stay. other than the free part and i dont care about the money.
  • Options
    i took kinda what interested me, then i got bored. so i changed it and i still dont like school. and if i quit i dont think id regret it. i dropped out of high school and went working. after working for awhile i thought i should go back cause everyday i had to beat my self. and im not into physical stuff. so i went back to school. so ive tasted what its like to work crummy jobs. and i liked that better.

kinda off topic but when i was still seeing my therapist she told me to get out and do stuff and all that crap. so i thought school would be something she'd recommend. but school just makes stuff worse. i honestly think i dont like being around people.

i can say i havent enjoyed any of it for months. the best part is its close to the comic shop. but i could go there anyways. i sometimes just sit there wondering why people would actually pay for this. i dont even want to go for free and people go in debt for school. i really dont understand it.

ive read everyones responses and there just doesnt seem to be a single good reason for me to stay. other than the free part and i dont care about the money.
    Ok, get out. For most employers a college degree is what decides employment, and even advancement. If what you want to do with your life is being self-employed, then you probably don't have to worry. Where do you want to work? If you left would you be willing to go back if you need the degree?
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Ok, get out. For most employers a college degree is what decides employment, and even advancement. If what you want to do with your life is being self-employed, then you probably don't have to worry. Where do you want to work? If you left would you be willing to go back if you need the degree?

ive only worked places that have hired drop outs and people just out of prison and all that good stuff. ive had bosses that never finished high school. if i go back to work id probably just work some kinda factory or construction job again. its what i know, and at least i can do that.
  • Options
    ive only worked places that have hired drop outs and people just out of prison and all that good stuff. ive had bosses that never finished high school. if i go back to work id probably just work some kinda factory or construction job again. its what i know, and at least i can do that.
    No. It's not OK. No, no, no! Don't drop out.
  • Options
    don't do it! you're almost finished! i have a couple friends who dropped out and took full-time jobs to earn some money, saying they'll finish their degrees later. well, they still havent' gone back and they regret it so much, but its hard to quit your job and go back. just do it, especially if its free! you'll always have that to put on your resume. god, i wish i had gotten a break like that, my student loans just started kicking in.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,631
    Afraid of success?