Options

What happens after we die..

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
My lately near atheism views seems to point out the obvious to me. Death = the same as before we were born... So much to see and feel in the little life that we have, we are only a speck of dust, living in a blink of time that will one day be forgotten...

Right? or wrong?

Sometimes I wish religion were the truth. That we would die and live eternally happy with all our relatives and long lost friends amongst the stars..

I'm getting all late night sappy here, but the death of Heath Ledger hits a little home for me.. Why?.. He's about my age, height and complexion. Hearing about his death is a harsh reminder that I am mortal. That no matter how immortal I might feel, it could all be lost at any second. I could go to bed tonight and never wake.. and will it have ever meant anything and was there any real meaning to begin with?

People die, people close to them mourn, then they remember, but then they are lost and eventually all is forgotten..

Looks like I'm ending my night on a high note here. :p ..hope I didn't bring anyone down. Just something to reflect on.. Enjoy life!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I agree with you, but you can't think about your own death it will only make you crazy

When I was younger I would almost have panic attacks thinking about dying and not being around and the harsh reality that one day I wont be here

I haven't had any lately I dont really think about it much because it does me no good to harp on it or get depressed about it

I dont believe in after life as well I think when you're gone...you're gone
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I agree with you, but you can't think about your own death it will only make you crazy

When I was younger I would almost have panic attacks thinking about dying and not being around and the harsh reality that one day I wont be here

I haven't had any lately I dont really think about it much because it does me no good to harp on it or get depressed about it

Last time I smoked weed, about 2 years ago, I nearly had a panic attack questioning my own existence.. Yeah, I don't smoke weed anymore..
  • Options
    GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878

I have these panic attacks you are talking about. I start to think about not being here anymore, and the world just going on and existing normally without me and all of the things that I will miss out on, and all of the things I will never see. And I keep thinking deeper and deeper, and then I can't breath well anymore and my head starts to throb, and yeah I pretty much go into some weird self induced panic attack.

Its means a lot more to me, but I can't really put it into the right words. I just hope I live long enough to be the person I want to be. I'm not sure I believe fully in second chances.
  • Options
    [quote=" Death = the same as before we were born... So much to see and tten...
    ![/quote"]

Ponder this...The reason we cant fathom "nothing", or picture what it was like before we were born...is because we've always been..and will continue to always be....

I have to agree, Im around Heath ledgers age, and when I heard he died tonight...i dont know why...but it really bothered me. Normally celebrity news/deaths dont phase me in the least.. but this was different...and I cant explain it.
    the oceans made me, but who came up with love?
  • Options
    Normally celebrity news/deaths dont phase me in the least.. but this was different...and I cant explain it.
    dude... same here. it's so weird. and i'm not even his age. i'm 23.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • Options
    I come back to this topic from time to time. Sometimes I think back to my Catholic roots and think about Heaven and Hell. Then I realize that it sounds absurd. Mostly I think about my thoughts. What will I be thinking when I die? Will I still be thinking when I'm dead? Will it be like one long dream session, which eventually leads to dreams equaling reality.. meaning when I/we die, will we feel like we're just living our life over and over again in a dream?

In the mind of everyone else, we're gone, but what about our mind? What happens to our own thoughts when we die?
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • Options
    From Hydrogen atoms our bodies assembled and became , and back to hydrogen they will eventually return.

If some believe there is a little coating of religious magic present on each hydrogen atom that collects, and transcends as a soul from this physical universe into some other place besides here which is supposed to be everywhere...feel free to enjoy that thought.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    I have these panic attacks you are talking about. I start to think about not being here anymore, and the world just going on and existing normally without me and all of the things that I will miss out on, and all of the things I will never see. And I keep thinking deeper and deeper, and then I can't breath well anymore and my head starts to throb, and yeah I pretty much go into some weird self induced panic attack.

Its means a lot more to me, but I can't really put it into the right words. I just hope I live long enough to be the person I want to be. I'm not sure I believe fully in second chances.

Yup, it consumes you

The last time I really thought about it was when I got married and thought about my wife being alone or me missing everyone

Its weird I dont believe in after life but my mind makes me think I will miss everything that is going on

Are you scared to die ? Sometimes I fluctuate between being scared and not being scared

• Options
    Last time I smoked weed, about 2 years ago, I nearly had a panic attack questioning my own existence.. Yeah, I don't smoke weed anymore..

Stay off the funny cigarettes !

I often wonder why we are here ? Other than to pro-create obviously

• Options
    When you first first wake up in the morning and, just open your eyes, at that very second try to think hard about where you just came from.

that's what it's like.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    I think (and kind of hope) there will be nothing. Heath Ledger's death is indeed shocking.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 926
    I don't think anything happens when you die. You just stop being. Enjoy life while you're here because in all reality nobody knows what the fuck happens when we die. If I die and find out I will live forever somewhere else so be it. If not... and I just turn to a smoldering pile of ashes after cremation... I'm cool with that too.
  • Options
    My lately near atheism views seems to point out the obvious to me. Death = the same as before we were born... So much to see and feel in the little life that we have, we are only a speck of dust, living in a blink of time that will one day be forgotten...

Right? or wrong?

Sometimes I wish religion were the truth. That we would die and live eternally happy with all our relatives and long lost friends amongst the stars..

I'm getting all late night sappy here, but the death of Heath Ledger hits a little home for me.. Why?.. He's about my age, height and complexion. Hearing about his death is a harsh reminder that I am mortal. That no matter how immortal I might feel, it could all be lost at any second. I could go to bed tonight and never wake.. and will it have ever meant anything and was there any real meaning to begin with?

People die, people close to them mourn, then they remember, but then they are lost and eventually all is forgotten..

Looks like I'm ending my night on a high note here. :p ..hope I didn't bring anyone down. Just something to reflect on.. Enjoy life!
    not that i wanna alarm anybody with anything religious or preachy.... this topic just made me think of this excerpt from job.

Job 14
    1 "Man born of woman
    is of few days and full of trouble.

2 He springs up like a flower and withers away;
    like a fleeting shadow, he does not endure.

3 Do you fix your eye on such a one?
    Will you bring him [a] before you for judgment?

4 Who can bring what is pure from the impure?
    No one!

5 Man's days are determined;
    you have decreed the number of his months
    and have set limits he cannot exceed.

6 So look away from him and let him alone,
    till he has put in his time like a hired man.

7 "At least there is hope for a tree:
    If it is cut down, it will sprout again,
    and its new shoots will not fail.

8 Its roots may grow old in the ground
    and its stump die in the soil,

9 yet at the scent of water it will bud
    and put forth shoots like a plant.

10 But man dies and is laid low;
    he breathes his last and is no more.

11 As water disappears from the sea
    or a riverbed becomes parched and dry,

12 so man lies down and does not rise;
    till the heavens are no more, men will not awake
    or be roused from their sleep.

13 "If only you would hide me in the grave
    and conceal me till your anger has passed!
    If only you would set me a time
    and then remember me!

14 If a man dies, will he live again?
    All the days of my hard service
    I will wait for my renewal [c] to come.

15 You will call and I will answer you;
    you will long for the creature your hands have made.

16 Surely then you will count my steps
    but not keep track of my sin.

17 My offenses will be sealed up in a bag;
    you will cover over my sin.

18 "But as a mountain erodes and crumbles
    and as a rock is moved from its place,

19 as water wears away stones
    and torrents wash away the soil,
    so you destroy man's hope.

20 You overpower him once for all, and he is gone;
    you change his countenance and send him away.

21 If his sons are honored, he does not know it;
    if they are brought low, he does not see it.

22 He feels but the pain of his own body
    and mourns only for himself."

it just makes you think that for thousands of years humans have always had the same fears/questions.
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    where do bad folks go when they die?
    they don't go to heaven where the angels fly
    they go down to the lake of fire and fry
    won't see 'em again till the fourth of july
    i knew a lady who came from duluth
    she got bit by a dog with a rabid tooth
    she went to her grave just a little too soon
    and she flew away howling on the yellow moon
  • Options
    The theory about death that doesn't sit well with me is the one where you are reunited with your loved ones, as much as it should comfort me, i often think about a hypothetical situation where the subject has found love with someone who dies then the person moves on and finds love with someone else, when all three parties are dead is there some new sort of arrangement going down in 'Heaven' or is it some sort of highly evolved carbon relationship? omg i gave up smoke years ago yet this shit still turns my brain inside out.
    www.myspace.com/rockmastergeneral

To break down borders and realise that we are one species and then the true patriotism comes from pride and love of the human race, not from the tribes of which we currently are divided, open your eyes your mind will see! - ME
  • Options
    Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    You live forever in the memories of those you touched and the things you have made, the rest of you ends up in molecules and finds a new purpose.
    your light's reflected now
  • Options
    Obi Once wrote:
    You live forever in the memories of those you touched and the things you have made, the rest of you ends up in molecules and finds a new purpose.

I'm definately down with that!
    I have recorded music that will always be a solid legacy of mine and as a builder i have left evidence of my existance, and hopefully not just for my own vanity it would be nice to think that friends and family discuss and remember me long after i'm gone!
    www.myspace.com/rockmastergeneral

To break down borders and realise that we are one species and then the true patriotism comes from pride and love of the human race, not from the tribes of which we currently are divided, open your eyes your mind will see! - ME
  • Options
    Obi Once wrote:

Until they die anyway...

But I agree, my grandfather taught me so much and I'm really sorry I didn't have the change to get to know him as a man. He died when I was 15.

But he has influenced me so much, and his wisdom, his character... lives on in me. And I hope that I can one day influence someone else... and that's enough for me. I don't need to be remembered forever.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    I'm definately down with that!
    I have recorded music that will always be a solid legacy of mine and as a builder i have left evidence of my existance, and hopefully not just for my own vanity it would be nice to think that friends and family discuss and remember me long after i'm gone!

That's so cool that you'll leave something material behind, and of course your music, which probably reflects a part of you?
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    you just disappear...~

:)
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    ummm....nothing happens..

your memory will live on through the people who loved you!!
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Options
    people fight over your stuff and then throw you in a hole. unless you have a will then they complain at what they get and throw you in a hole.
  • Options
    people fight over your stuff and then throw you in a hole. unless you have a will then they complain at what they get and throw you in a hole.

Or they burn you and throw you in a hole.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    Or they burn you and throw you in a hole.

oops forgot that one.
  • Options
    Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    you become worm food
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    Until they die anyway...

But I agree, my grandfather taught me so much and I'm really sorry I didn't have the change to get to know him as a man. He died when I was 15.

But he has influenced me so much, and his wisdom, his character... lives on in me. And I hope that I can one day influence someone else... and that's enough for me. I don't need to be remembered forever.
    the only memory i got about my grandpa is once when i was a kid. my cousins and i were running outside to play. my grandpa got a hold of me as soon as i was heading out. he pulled me into the living room, sat me next to him, leaned my head against his belly and he rubbed his hands through my fingers. and held me there for about 10 min and kept telling me, "that's my boy. you're gonna be strong. strong like your daddy." i was about 8 yrs old... my grandpa was about 86. he died about the next two years....

even though it's the only memory i got of him.... from the stories i hear about him he was a very passive man and always wanted peace within our family. (even though my family is crazy as hell and are always fighting). so i can sort of associate with your experience with your grandfather. it's as if i knew my grandfather longer.
  • Options

That was probably shrooms, not weed.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976

i used to do this often enough in my younger years. i still freak myself out from time to time, thinking of my non-existence. the idea of no longer *being* is a trippy thing, and not something i look forward to. granted, the idea of living forever isn't actually appealing either, nless we can all stay young and strong, and not age and become so frail/vulnerable....but even with that, i think....it's just not meant to be. we all have a season on this earth, and as sad as it is to imagine our own individual non-existence....it is what it is. so, i really try not to dwell on it, freak out over it...and enjoy what i have while i have it.

honestly, i think i am more afraid of getting very old, being alone and how will i take care of myself/provide for myself? imagining being in a nursing home, not fun......and just thinking of all my 'stuff'.....and that more than likely, just disappear.....it saddens me. also makes me realize just how tenuous and unimportant so much tangible stuff is, and yes......we ARE alone in our deaths. don't know why i've thought about it a lot lately, seeing the movie the savages definitely brought it all to mind again, but for very selfish reasons, i hope my husband and i grow to a ripe and healthy old age....but i'd like to go first. :o
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    That was probably shrooms, not weed.
    i actually had a couple of friends who smoke weed... constantly. they had similar experiences... funny thing is they both had it like a couple months apart.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    Death = chocolate all day, every day in all forms: bonbons, cookies, cakes, rivers of mocha, you name it.

For real, though, I'm joining a mariachi band when I die, and every other sentence I'll start with "Yo!"
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird