Anyone else hate their job?

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited February 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone else hate their job, but don't know what to do with the rest of their life???

I get no job satisfaction from my job. Pay isn't great and I leave everyday with a headache..

My big problem is, my only motivation right now is not wanting to work at the job I'm at. I have ideas about what I'd like to do, but until I make a 100% certain decision, I can't get those ideas going.. Last time I made a 100% decision I wasted 5 years of college. :(

I haven't a clue what a really want to do. I'm going to be 30 in the fall and feel like I'm 10 years behind in life. :(
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• OMFG, I was just thinking this and then I looked up and saw your post. I completely agree with you. Ill be 30 in a year and feel like I have been wasting the last 5 years of my life. I am in sales and think I am just over the BS negotiations of it all.

I also work for the devil, that is AT&T!
  • Anyone else hate their job, but don't know what to do with the rest of their life???

I get no job satisfaction from my job. Pay isn't great and I leave everyday with a headache..

My big problem is, my only motivation right now is not wanting to work at the job I'm at. I have ideas about what I'd like to do, but until I make a 100% certain decision, I can't get those ideas going.. Last time I made a 100% decision I wasted 5 years of college. :(

I haven't a clue what a really want to do. I'm going to be 30 in the fall and feel like I'm 10 years behind in life. :(

You are definitely not alone. My husband used to be like that. He hated his job passionately but didn't know what he wanted to do in place of it. He was actually looking at a handful of different ideas for grad school when I became pregnant. He took another job after we left Chicago that has turned out to be a lot more interesting and very good for us financially...but I know that he still would love to go back to school someday to do one of several different and unrelated fields. ;)

Don't think of it as being ten years behind. There is no deadline. Just live your life and try different things. There's no real reason to put pressure on yourself...especially when you are single.
  • KosmicJelliKosmicJelli Posts: 1,855
    Funny you should mention that... I love my job. Does this fall under the finding oneself and find your calling thread?
  • Yes. Especially yesterday. I deal with doctors a lot, and in case you dont know, they can be very egotistical, smug, and demanding. The sterotypes are pretty true.

Yesterday was one of those days I would love to tell them fuck off and dont talk to me like I am a 5 year old, but I really need the paycheck.
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • yes I am not happy with my job (funny, I have my review in 20 minutes). I could have had one of 2 jobs I liked better, but they paid nothing, I don't know how I would have gotten by, especially with my student loan payments, so I had to take this one. And since I had just finished grad school, I was unemployed when I took it, so I couldn't wait for something "perfect" to come along. I just started 6 months ago, and I am trying to somehow get started looking for something else, but there are a lot of limiting factors with money and resources and everything else. not fun.

it's such a catch22- if I had gotten one of those other jobs, I'd be happier at work but stressed about money. I'm already stressed about money in this job!
  • god yes! I can't agree more with this thread! For a year and 1/2 I was an elem. Education major in college. But NO I just had to have the degree in art. I could have cared less how many people asked me what the hell I was going to to with it.

Now here I am starting grad school in September so I can get certified to teach elementary school. It makes me want to kick myself for not just doing it in undergrad, I could have been a teacher already!!!!

The best is when my husband starts to tease me and says, "wow bet you wish you didnt get that degree in art" oohhhh that makes me wanna get violent! ;)
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    ... My big problem is, my only motivation right now is not wanting to work at the job I'm at.
    I haven't a clue what a really want to do.

Why don't you temp or do contract work for a bit (not sure how well that works in the US). Try different jobs/industries/crafts for which you have the skills and that you thing might interest you. At 30 you still have loads of time in front of you.
  • Anyone else hate their job, but don't know what to do with the rest of their life???

You just described exactly how I feel. It sucks.
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    You just described exactly how I feel. It sucks.

hey man where the hell you been hiding????? good to see you back!
    I love to turn you on
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    god yes! I can't agree more with this thread! For a year and 1/2 I was an elem. Education major in college. But NO I just had to have the degree in art. I could have cared less how many people asked me what the hell I was going to to with it.

Now here I am starting grad school in September so I can get certified to teach elementary school. It makes me want to kick myself for not just doing it in undergrad, I could have been a teacher already!!!!

The best is when my husband starts to tease me and says, "wow bet you wish you didnt get that degree in art" oohhhh that makes me wanna get violent! ;)

But at the time, when you did your art degree, you were doing something you really wanted to do and was fulfilling. Definitely not a waste of time, just something extra that you now have. OK, so you'll be a teacher a few years later than initially possible, but is that so bad? I bet you had a few good years doing that art degree!
  • redrock wrote:
    But at the time, when you did your art degree, you were doing something you really wanted to do and was fulfilling. Definitely not a waste of time, just something extra that you now have. OK, so you'll be a teacher a few years later than initially possible, but is that so bad? I bet you had a few good years doing that art degree!

exactly. plus, what you want changes over time. no use having a regret about a decision that was the right one several years ago.

actually, I do sometimes regret not being a natural science major. but I know that at the time, social science was a better choice. It's just up to me to make my past decisions work for me now.
  • exactly. plus, what you want changes over time. no use having a regret about a decision that was the right one several years ago.
    I don't regret it persay, but I was pointing out the frustration in being pigheaded about the major st the time only to get out of school and turn around to go back in it to do something I should have just finished in school!

But there are many pros: I value education so a masters degree is nothing regret. I learned a lot in in my drawing and painting degree (and would like to think I'm a darn good artist) and I got into a good school for my masters.

I wasnt trying to complain too much, just more like being a teacher now would be a lot nicer then the job I have now, which I hate.
  • chinobaezachinobaeza Posts: 2,489
    I hate my job...but next monday I'm going to tell my boss that I'm leaving. I found another job and it's what I always wanted to do. I recognize I'm a little nervous about telling my boss that I'm leaving...but he can go $%&#!
  • god yes! I can't agree more with this thread! For a year and 1/2 I was an elem. Education major in college. But NO I just had to have the degree in art. I could have cared less how many people asked me what the hell I was going to to with it.

It's funny. I have the opposite regret. I started as an art major, then switched to creative writing...only to then switch to business/technical writing so I could get a job. Now here I am, not even working...and I wish I'd spent all that time continuing to pursue my passions rather than taking classes that were about as creative as filling out crossword puzzles. :D
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    chinobaeza wrote:
    I hate my job...but next monday I'm going to tell my boss that I'm leaving. I found another job and it's what I always wanted to do. I recognize I'm a little nervous about telling my boss that I'm leaving...but he can go $%&#!

Hell YEAH. I booked 2 weeks holiday off work so i can look for another job. I look forward to the day i hand my notice in, it's gonna be SWEET!
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Don't think of it as being ten years behind. There is no deadline. Just live your life and try different things.

I like this statement. :)
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • well I just had my review. I hate those things. so awkward. I brought up all the stuff I was sort dissatisfied with, it was fine. but now I have no idea what is going to come out of it. I'm also always afraid that I've said something I'll regret later...
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i love my job.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Sometimes...but it pays the bills. It allows me to have a lot of computer time throughout the day and also do some pranks from time to time. In reflection I guess it's not that bad. :lol:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    DS1119 wrote:
    Sometimes...but it pays the bills. It allows me to have a lot of computer time throughout the day and also do some pranks from time to time. In reflection I guess it's not that bad. :lol:

but it keeps you from hanging with the cool kids on sat nights :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Yeah it does. :fp:
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    No.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Yeah, like me... :D oh wait..... :(

I'll be the first to say it..."Rico, go to bed" :lol:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
    thefixer9 wrote:
    Rico, go to bed
    DS1119 wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:
    Rico, go to bed

Well I do have a huge math test tomorrow..hmm... 8-)
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

thefixer9 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:
    Rico, go to bed

Well I do have a huge math test tomorrow..hmm... 8-)

Math is overrated IMO. 2+2 is 4 and 3 x 3 is six. Or something like that. :?
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    Yes, he'll yes. Each week I tell myself I'll quit the following week, then I get paid and I remember why I deal with this hell hole.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
    Good job Dave! You are almost as good as me. :twisted:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I actually love my job, just wish I got to travel more!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Yes, I hate my job.

I used to like my job...I used to travel every so often and enjoyed the work I was doing and the people I worked with. We got new management about a year ago and a lot of things have changed for the worse. We hired people that don't want to work and we can't get rid of them, the environment is very cliquish, people make up lies about others and bad mouth people for no reason, the people I supervise have bad attitudes and I end up having to pick up the slack to get things done, management keeps throwing more stuff for me to do because they know I can do it vs the other people who don't. There's no incentive to do well anymore though. It's a paycheck..nothing else and my motivation is at an all time low.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City