Is Super Mario Bros. the greatest game of all time?

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
Discuss..

http://top100.ign.com/2007/ign_top_game_1.html

I will agree that Final Fantasy III snes (a.k.a. FFVI) is easily better than Final Fantasy VII (minus the graphics) anyday.. Fuck a Final Fantasy VII PS3 remake.. give us a Final fantasy VI remake! I beat them both.. Although both great, Final Fantasy VI is way more imaginative than VII.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• nope, Techmo Bowl is.
    "It's all happening"
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Maybe Super Mario 3..........not the first one though
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • xscorchoxscorcho Posts: 409
    agreed!
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    But its the same game with more levels.. He gets to be a raccoon this time, lol.

I remember the moment clear as day when my mom picked up Mario 3 when I got out of class in the fifth grade.
  • The Legend of Zelda. Nothing comes close, not even the newer Zelda games!

EDIT: And if you really want to get technical.. World of Warcraft is one of the top selling ever and has been around for 4 years... with 9 million people actively playing (paid subscriptions).. When was the last time you played a game for 4 years?
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
    the mario games are pretty much the only ones i ever played (besides contra)..... i loved them...
  • The Legend of Zelda. Nothing comes close, not even the newer Zelda games!

The Zelda game on Super Nintendo was IMO the best of the series.
    "It's all happening"
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280

Yep!

Super Mario 3 is one of the best of all-time! The original was a good game, but is no #1!

Oh...and #2 was complete crap.
    Just looked at that list and some of it seems accurate but alot of it seems quite ridiculous, here are the games I remember having the most fun playing

Tony Hawk 2
    Coolboarders
    NFL2k
    Virtua Tennis
    Super Mario 3
    Mega Man 2
    Sonic 2
    San Francisco Rush
    Tecmo Super Bowl
    Dusty Diamonds Softball (one of the best games ever, very unknown but anybody who knows it loves it)
    Streets Of Rage 2
    TMNT 2
    Super Mario World
    Mortal Kombat 1,2,3
    NBA Jam
    NHL and Madden series
    WCW/NWO Revenge
    Goldeneye
    Tekken
    Twisted Metal
    Wipeout XL
    Grand Theft Auto Vice City
    RBI Baseball
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

mca47 wrote:
    Oh...and #2 was complete crap.
    i cant even remember 2
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    xscorcho wrote:
    i cant even remember 2

It was just crap.

I have an old NES hooked up to my 50" HDTV. I have about 50 games and one day I popped Super Mario Bros. 2 in...played it for about 5 minutes and remembered how shitty it was. Amazing how you can go from #1 (great game) to #2 (utter shit) then to #3 (one of the best games ever).
    mca47 wrote:
    It was just crap.

I have an old NES hooked up to my 50" HDTV. I have about 50 games and one day I popped Super Mario Bros. 2 in...played it for about 5 minutes and remembered how shitty it was. Amazing how you can go from #1 (great game) to #2 (utter shit) then to #3 (one of the best games ever).

You probably already knew this but Mario 2 wasnt even a Mario game in Japan, they just added the Mario characters to make it one.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Discuss..

I will agree that Final Fantasy III snes (a.k.a. FFVI) is easily better than Final Fantasy VII (minus the graphics) anyday.. Fuck a Final Fantasy VII PS3 remake.. give us a Final fantasy VI remake! I beat them both.. Although both great, Final Fantasy VI is way more imaginative than VII.

Those two FF's are my faves, but in the opposite rank than yours.
  • yep. was the benchmark for all future video games. NES and SNES were the last systems I played on a regular basis, because that's when video games were actually fun. Now systems are "entertainment" pieces with flashiness. I guess that's why I like the Wii. Simplicity is sometimes good.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • Mario 2 had the best music though.
  • Mario 2 had the best music though.

Music yes, but it just didn't feel like a Mario game to me.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • But its the same game with more levels.. He gets to be a raccoon this time, lol.

I remember the moment clear as day when my mom picked up Mario 3 when I got out of class in the fifth grade.
    that's a great memory... i never owned a nintendo as a kid. now it's hard to get one.

i only remember going to my cousin's house and they always had a nintendo. we'd play mario bro. i would have to wait until everybody had their turn. i always died on the very first stage.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • Just looked at that list and some of it seems accurate but alot of it seems quite ridiculous, here are the games I remember having the most fun playing

Tony Hawk 2
    Coolboarders
    NFL2k
    Virtua Tennis
    Super Mario 3
    Mega Man 2
    Sonic 2
    San Francisco Rush
    Tecmo Super Bowl
    Dusty Diamonds Softball (one of the best games ever, very unknown but anybody who knows it loves it)
    Streets Of Rage 2
    TMNT 2
    Super Mario World
    Mortal Kombat 1,2,3
    NBA Jam
    NHL and Madden series
    WCW/NWO Revenge
    Goldeneye
    Tekken
    Twisted Metal
    Wipeout XL
    Grand Theft Auto Vice City
    RBI Baseball
    twisted metal was the shit. sucks that i can't find it anymore.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    Tetris>Super Mario
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    , Final Fantasy VI is way more imaginative than VII.
    pretty much shot your cred with that comment
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    mca47 wrote:
    It was just crap.

2 is well respected
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    pretty much shot your cred with that comment
    Have you played and beaten VI? The story is much more epic. More shocking. More groundbreaking.

VII's style is pretty much taken form the movie Blade Runner.

Don't get me wrong, VII was a great game, but I was more moved by VI's storyline..
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    You probably already knew this but Mario 2 wasnt even a Mario game in Japan, they just added the Mario characters to make it one.
    I did not know that. That explains a lot. Here is some more information from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._2

For me, my favorite all-time game is indeed Super Mario Bros. I loved Super Mario 3 but the first one is the one I play whenever I stumble upon a NES at a friends house.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Anyone playing Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii? Picked it up last weekend and I absolutely love it. It is imaginative and fun just like the old Mario games, but with the Wii capabilitites. Fan-freaking-tastic! It makes me want to make my kid leave his Wii behind when he goes back to his mom's for the schoolweek. Truly lives up to all the reviews and hype.
    'Give me some music; music, moody food/ of us that trade in love'
    -Shakespeare
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Discuss..

Final Fantasy VII has the best story of any game ever made, bar none. The only short coming was the gameplay. Give me FFVIII's gameplay with VII's story and you have the greatest game ever made. VIII was always more enjoyable for me but the plot of VII is epic and brilliant.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Ott wrote:
    Anyone playing Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii? Picked it up last weekend and I absolutely love it. It is imaginative and fun just like the old Mario games, but with the Wii capabilitites. Fan-freaking-tastic! It makes me want to make my kid leave his Wii behind when he goes back to his mom's for the schoolweek. Truly lives up to all the reviews and hype.
    Best Mario Game so far. Easily. I'm not sure if it's my favourite but its looking to be, for all the hype and shiny looks, this game is a pure platformer, I can't think of a platforming game thats better.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • My favorite game is Okami for PS2. Truely one of a kind, probably the most original and awe-inspiring story in a game. Plus great graphics, music and characters.

And I liked Super Mario 2. I've liked just about all the Mario games.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • My favorite game is Okami for PS2. Truely one of a kind, probably the most original and awe-inspiring story in a game. Plus great graphics, music and characters.

Just checked the list.....Okami ranked at number 90! Glad to see it was recognized (I know when I mention it on here, people say they never heard of it). If you own a PS2 and like adventure games, definitely try it
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • that's a great memory... i never owned a nintendo as a kid. now it's hard to get one.

i only remember going to my cousin's house and they always had a nintendo. we'd play mario bro. i would have to wait until everybody had their turn. i always died on the very first stage.
    not as hard as you think. got one for about 50 bucks on ebay a couple yrs ago with a couple games and a couple controllers, with a brand new pin connector- the system works flawlessly. (my old system was long gone). buying it off ebay from a credible seller is the way to go!
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • In my house we generally have 2 systems, one newer system on the big tv in the living room and my NES in the basement. Currently, I've been playing a lot of Dead Rising in the living room, and a lot of Mike Tysons Punch Out and Tetris downstairs.

As far as the list goes, I think they did a good job. Lots of great games from all eras (Ms. Pac Man, Tecmo Bowl, Yoshi's Island, Silent Hill 2, Star Wars Kinghts of the Old Republic, Sonic, Street Fighter 2, ICO, lots of Zelda) but I wish other people held "Max Payne 2" in the same high regards I do. I f-ing love that game, and it never makes any 'best of' lists.
    I love my female wife...