Options

Interesting Dr. Phil

GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
So I know Dr. Phil is annoying, and I'm sure a lot of you would never watch him. But todays topic is about girls/women posting pictures of themselves on facebook/myspace, wasted, peeing in public, puking, passed out and half naked. Its a group on facebook that promotes women posting pictures of themselves after drinking way too much, because its supposed to be funny.

Now they have people on there that are for it, one being one of the groups moderators, and obviously people that are against it.

One of the guys they talked to was a recruiter, and he was talking about looking at people's pages for work related recruitment.

What do you think about that? I personally think that if a company is going to invest a lot of time/money on an employee, that they have every right to look into their background be it facebook/myspace. Its a public domain and if you want to put pictures of yourself up in a place where everyone can see them, then you are opening yourself up to being judged based on your actions.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    scot88scot88 Posts: 217
    So I know Dr. Phil is annoying, and I'm sure a lot of you would never watch him. But todays topic is about girls/women posting pictures of themselves on facebook/myspace, wasted, peeing in public, puking, passed out and half naked. Its a group on facebook that promotes women posting pictures of themselves after drinking way too much, because its supposed to be funny.

Now they have people on there that are for it, one being one of the groups moderators, and obviously people that are against it.

One of the guys they talked to was a recruiter, and he was talking about looking at people's pages for work related recruitment.

What do you think about that? I personally think that if a company is going to invest a lot of time/money on an employee, that they have every right to look into their background be it facebook/myspace. Its a public domain and if you want to put pictures of yourself up in a place where everyone can see them, then you are opening yourself up to being judged based on your actions.

What you do in your own time in none of your employer's fucking business. If you do solid work, show up on time, and are well behaved at work, it shouldn't matter, even if you put it up on facebook, myspace, etc.

I realize that some of you may say that it reflects poorly on the company, etc. But that's a load of shit. What you do on your own time reflects YOU, not your company or anything/anyone else.
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    scot88 wrote:
    What you do in your own time in none of your employer's fucking business. If you do solid work, show up on time, and are well behaved at work, it shouldn't matter, even if you put it up on facebook, myspace, etc.

I realize that some of you may say that it reflects poorly on the company, etc. But that's a load of shit. What you do on your own time reflects YOU, not your company or anything/anyone else.

Yeah, but I don't know if i'd hire some chick that I saw on myspace peeing on dudes for fun..Well, maybe I would, but most employers probably wouldn't..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    scot88 wrote:

But how does a company know when they are looking to hire someone that you know when to cut it off? How do they know you don't have a problem where you might come to work stoned/or drunk? Doesn't it say something about your judgement if you chose to put pictures like that of yourself in a public forum?

I mean I don't personally think badly about people who drink/smoke, party, take pictures or anything. I am just saying, I can understand an employers apprehension when they come across something like this. These are extreme pictures, not just a picture with a can of beer in your hand smiling with friends. These were actual pictures of people puking, passed out, naked with things written all over them

I just don't understand why people would want to post pictures of themselves like that. Its one thing to do it, thats your business, but aren't you making it people's business when you post it all?
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Btw, being as fat as he is, how in the hell was he able to sell all of those fucking diet books? That's incredible, good on his tubby Texas ass..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    damn
    I missed another chance to see drunk women embarassing themselves
  • Options
    I guess it depends where you work but I couldn't imagine many employers wanting to hire someone that was shown internationally, throwing up all over the pavement, into their company. Every business wants a good reputation... and the staff build or supply that?
  • Options
    the one time i actually watch the show someone starts a thread on it.......go figure
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    It's fair game... I don't agree with firing or disciplining an employee for something they post online, but for hiring, absolutely. If you are stupid enough to put halfnaked pictures of yourself or drunk puking pictures online, then I have every right not to hire you because of it.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Whether you like it or not, more and more employers are checking these sites and basing hiring decision on what they find. I work in HR and I have no problem with it whatsoever. Almost everyone lies or exaggerates about their abilities and work ethic in job interviews and this levels the playing field by giving potential employers a chance to see the real you. Don’t put it out there if you don’t want people looking at it.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    the one time i actually watch the show someone starts a thread on it.......go figure

Thats just because I can read your mind. Special aint it.. Plus don't lie, you watch it every day.
  • Options
    Thats just because I can read your mind. Special aint it.. Plus don't lie, you watch it every day.
    :eek: you physco bitch!......:p

• Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677

Was Oprah a repeat or something?
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    :eek: you physco bitch!......:p

Oh my god! watch your mouth man! :eek:

Oh, and its "Psycho"... stay in school ;)
  • Options
    Oh my god! watch your mouth man! :eek:
    watch your thoughts!!!

• Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Was Oprah a repeat or something?
    yes............ughhhh dam writers strike.:(

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219

You really have to be a self-righteous tool to base your opinion on someone's skillset because of some photo of them puking or pissing. Hell... we've ALL been there. How many of you haven't gotten drunk and puke? Or pissed on the wall because it was better than pissing in your pants? Or had naked polaroids of you banging some chick?
    All I would care about is... will she be able to restore the 72 terabyte database in a timely manner? Well... loose sexual morals would also be a plus.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Gray Saturday, you have lots of great points.

Cosmo: a man in his 50s (60s?) wanting girls who are "loose." I am sorry you always make me laugh with this kind of stuff. :P

I know you have a good sense of humour, so you wont take this "personally."

edit: :( I am just joking. Hope you have a happy new jear ! :)
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options

You're not peeing on a wall with no clothes on and with nasty slurs written on your body...

or did you post the wrong picture? :)
  • Options
    You're not peeing on a wall with no clothes on and with nasty slurs written on your body...

or did you post the wrong picture? :)

LOL! Nope...but I *was* drunk in that pic. None of the above stuff happens.

• Options

I don't know how I feel about it. I think your private life is your private life...no matter how often you get belligerently drunk and throw up on your friends. :D

On the other hand, I don't want to inadvertently befriend someone at my place of work who will eventually get belligerently drunk and throw up on me. :eek: ;)
  • Options
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    Id still hire you. ;)

You'd be glad you did. I'm an excellent employee.

• Options
    But the point was more about posting them for anyone and everyone to see. I am the first to admit I have had nights I don't remember! Buttttt.. I wouldn't put pictures up on the internet that could effect my job search and such. I am all for people doing whatever they want when they are in their free time. Of course you can drink and do whatever and still be a wonderful employee, but I do feel that employers have a right to question your judgement if you put things like that up on the internet to show off how out of control you got. And these are EXTREME cases. Not like, I was just out with some friends.. these are pictures that had to be blanked out. And, a lot of these girls are underage.
  • Options
    You'd be glad you did. I'm an excellent employee.
    Actually we need a hot blonde in the Sales department. And I know that youre well-read with excellent punctuation and grammar skills. But the blue eyes will do for now....:p

(maybe Jeff will be one of our clients. I so need a life). :o

edit: back to thread topic, I'll say it again: GS has some good points.
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Gray Saturday, you have lots of great points.

Cosmo: a man in his 50s (60s?) wanting girls who are "loose." I am sorry you always make me laugh with this kind of stuff. :P

I know you have a good sense of humour, so you wont take this "personally."

edit: :( I am just joking. Hope you have a happy new jear !
    Hey... I'm not proud. And I admit... I've done a lot shit in my days i probably shouldn't have... and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be doin' more. But, yeah... as long as the manifold pressure keeps the parts in workin' order... I'll keep on charming the gals out of their panties.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    But the point was more about posting them for anyone and everyone to see. I am the first to admit I have had nights I don't remember! Buttttt.. I wouldn't put pictures up on the internet that could effect my job search and such. I am all for people doing whatever they want when they are in their free time. Of course you can drink and do whatever and still be a wonderful employee, but I do feel that employers have a right to question your judgement if you put things like that up on the internet to show off how out of control you got. And these are EXTREME cases. Not like, I was just out with some friends.. these are pictures that had to be blanked out. And, a lot of these girls are underage.

I'm not going to keep Annabelle in a cage until she's 35.

Other than that, no, I really don't think people should be posting stuff for everyone to see...for the danger aspect of it more than anything.

er..edit: that was supposed to say I AM going to keep her in a cage until she's 35! lol...
  • Options
    Just make your profile private if you don't want the general public knowing your business.

• Options
    Just make your profile private if you don't want the general public knowing your business.

You know, it was interesting that this was never brought up on the show. But I totally agree with that.

I do think it would be an interesting job to be the person who looks at peoples facebooks/myspace. I can imagine there would be some good laughs there.
  • Options
    You know, it was interesting that this was never brought up on the show. But I totally agree with that.

I do think it would be an interesting job to be the person who looks at peoples facebooks/myspace. I can imagine there would be some good laughs there.

If that had been brought up, the show would have been over...lol. :)