So I'm possibly moving to Vegas...

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited November 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Higher paying job, plus gonna try and play poker part-time...

Any thoughts? Anyone lived there before?

I've been once this past summer, had a great time, and I am just sick and tired of life on the east coast...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jojojojo Posts: 645
    Higher paying job, plus gonna try and play poker part-time...

I've been once this past summer, had a great time, and I am just sick and tired of life on the east coast...

my uncle moved out i'd say about 5 years ago

he loves

i've never been
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.
  • Higher paying job, plus gonna try and play poker part-time...

I've only been there for Vacation

The company I work for has another facility there, not sure I would want to live there

Too hott for me !!
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I've only been there for Vacation

The company I work for has another facility there, not sure I would want to live there

Too hott for me !!
    well I went in July for the WSOP, and yea it was hot, but bearable. Not humid like it is over here. I think I just need a change of scenery...
    bump...anyone?
    bump...
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    bump...anyone?

i haven't got anything interesting to add. but i'm really happy for you! i've never been there but it's on my list of places to visit!
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    bump...

I have family that live just outside of Vegas as well as a close friend who lives in Vegas. I've been many times over the years and like it less everytime. Your plan of playing poker part time is a good idea if you're good. But remember, your trip over the summer vs. living there is a huge difference. My gf and I moved to Oregon after visiting for a couple of weeks. We couldn't leave fast enough after one year.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • hey mookie, male prositution is legal there! there is hope! :p:D
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    hey mookie, male prositution is legal there! there is hope! :p:D

hhmmm.....then i might use his services one day :D
    mookie9999 wrote:
    I have family that live just outside of Vegas as well as a close friend who lives in Vegas. I've been many times over the years and like it less everytime. Your plan of playing poker part time is a good idea if you're good. But remember, your trip over the summer vs. living there is a huge difference. My gf and I moved to Oregon after visiting for a couple of weeks. We couldn't leave fast enough after one year.
    Yea, I know it will take some time to adjust, as anything does when you move or make any kind of a change in your life. I have no family out there, I just know some people who play poker online who live in Vegas and Henderson, NV. And I have done really well online, and decent in AC, so I don't think that will be much of a problem. I just need some kind of a change in my life, and I think that this could really help me.
    hey mookie, male prositution is legal there! there is hope! :p:D

Why do you think I like it less everytime?!? Everytime I'm out there due to my ever increasing age the rate I can charge goes down. Mookie Bigalow Vegas Gigalo.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• A friend of mine lived there for about 5 years before getting sick of it. He did enjoy it for a while though. One of his biggest complaints is that people would come out to visit, but then expect him to not go to work and have fun with them. It's like they couldn't comprehend that he lived there and this wasn't vacation for him.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Why do you think I like it less everytime?!? Everytime I'm out there due to my ever increasing age the rate I can charge goes down. Mookie Bigalow Vegas Gigalo.
    haha, somehow I knew this would turn into a prostitution thread :D:D:D
    A friend of mine lived there for about 5 years before getting sick of it. He did enjoy it for a while though. One of his biggest complaints is that people would come out to visit, but then expect him to not go to work and have fun with them. It's like they couldn't comprehend that he lived there and this wasn't vacation for him.
    yea i can see that...more of a vacation spot rather than a place of residence. I know what that is like - I have a place in Ocean City, MD., and in the offseason, it is a ghost town.
    I just need some kind of a change in my life, and I think that this could really help me.

Then best of luck to you! Once we left Oregon we moved to the East Coast (first time for me) for a big change of scenery. No regrets yet and we've been out here for 4 years now.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• mookie9999 wrote:
    starring Rob Schiender as the famous mookie9999
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Then best of luck to you! Once we left Oregon we moved to the East Coast (first time for me) for a big change of scenery. No regrets yet and we've been out here for 4 years now.
    Yea, I definitely like it on the east coast, but I am just tired of the same old same old...I think a fresh start on the west coast could do me some good. Thanks for the kind words!!! :)
    My only concern is renting or buying a place. If I go, I will probably have to rent at first.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I was there for a week for a conference. It took about a block to get away from the neon lights, which was good. Not that big a stretch.

From my hotel window I saw a church that I wanted to visit. The architecture looked very soothing, quintessentially southwest. When I walked there the church was behind barbed wire and a security camera. What good is a church behind barbed wire and a security camera? A lot of thefts? Did not reflect well on the population. I was disheartened, and I didn't have a place to sit and reflect.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    i left miami for the same reason you're sick of the east coast n actually thought about trekking it to vegas but instead I kept it moving up towards NY. I know the feeling about needing a change and like you Im also a great poker player and feel like Im wasting my time not taking part in a major tournament. Good luck and if you do decide to move, let me know, I'll come thru so we can hang maybe get a few hold em games going ;)
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • teskeincteskeinc Posts: 1,591
    I've been here 2 years and I love it. Vegas is more than the strip everyone sees. There are really nice and quiet neighborhoods in Summerlin and Henderson. Other than video poker machines at gas stations , grocery stores and drug stores, thats the only in your face gambling in the burbs. Everything I like is here and although toasty in the summer , its not that bad unless youre outside all the time.
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• teskeincteskeinc Posts: 1,591
    One other thing, just because you think you are pretty good at online poker, that doesnt mean shit in Vegas. There are guys out here who have been making a living off of "Johnny Come Latelys" who think they can play poker. Nothing against you, but these guys have been playing for 30+ years, before poker was "cool" and drool when they see a "pretty good online player" drop some cash at the tables.
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

teskeinc wrote:
    I've been here 2 years and I love it. Vegas is more than the strip everyone sees. There are really nice and quiet neighborhoods in Summerlin and Henderson. Other than video poker machines at gas stations , grocery stores and drug stores, thats the only in your face gambling in the burbs. Everything I like is here and although toasty in the summer , its not that bad unless youre outside all the time.

There's also Boulder City, which if memory serves is the only suburb that doesn't allow gambling at all.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• I moved out to Henderson from Boston to go to school this past August. It's pretty nice, though I would say I prefer the east coast. But it's winter right now and it's in the 60's at times, so I won't be complaining. So Vegas is pretty good, but not great.
    stickboy wrote:
    i left miami for the same reason you're sick of the east coast n actually thought about trekking it to vegas but instead I kept it moving up towards NY. I know the feeling about needing a change and like you Im also a great poker player and feel like Im wasting my time not taking part in a major tournament. Good luck and if you do decide to move, let me know, I'll come thru so we can hang maybe get a few hold em games going ;)
    hey, im ALWAYS up for a poker game :D Kinda sick of playing online...
    teskeinc wrote:
    One other thing, just because you think you are pretty good at online poker, that doesnt mean shit in Vegas. There are guys out here who have been making a living off of "Johnny Come Latelys" who think they can play poker. Nothing against you, but these guys have been playing for 30+ years, before poker was "cool" and drool when they see a "pretty good online player" drop some cash at the tables.
    Well ive done well playing live in AC, and I went to Vegas last year for the WSOP - cashed in 1 event, and placed 212 out of 1500, just missing the $$ in another...And I am not a good cash game player - I will admit that. I just havent played them enough. If I do play, it will be 95% tourneys.
    Well ive done well playing live in AC, and I went to Vegas last year for the WSOP - cashed in 1 event, and placed 212 out of 1500, just missing the $$ in another...And I am not a good cash game player - I will admit that. I just havent played them enough. If I do play, it will be 95% tourneys.

I just found out that an Uncle of mine whom I no longer associate with (total prick) took 2nd in one of the events at this years WSOP. Apparently he punked out and agreed to give the bracelet to the chip leader if they would agree to split the total pot. He won something like $300k. Maybe it's time to rekindle that relationship! J/K. Best of luck to you. I need to start playing more card games than just old maid.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

mookie9999 wrote:
    I just found out that an Uncle of mine whom I no longer associate with (total prick) took 2nd in one of the events at this years WSOP. Apparently he punked out and agreed to give the bracelet to the chip leader if they would agree to split the total pot. He won something like $300k. Maybe it's time to rekindle that relationship! J/K. Best of luck to you. I need to start playing more card games than just old maid.
    lol, yea sometimes that happens in tournaments. People get a ridiclous streak of cards, hit flops, etc. Too bad you dont talk with him anymore :D
    mookie9999 wrote:
    What's his name? And do you know what event it was? I played the $1500 NL Hold Em 6-handed, and $1500 PL Omaha (won both seats online)
    What's his name? And do you know what event it was? I played the $1500 NL Hold Em 6-handed, and $1500 PL Omaha (won both seats online)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_World_Series_of_Poker_results#Event_41

It says he finished with less than first, but I saw on another site that he split the top winnings.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"