Thanksgiving 2007: What are you making?

13»

Comments

  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I am really embarassed that I may seem ungrateful..it being Thanksgiving and all, but it's true. :o
    I lied....I actually am making something. I make a Polish potato pie with kielbasa that I break out before dinner so everyone can fill up. :p
    It is really good.

    I would consider giving up my potato ban for some of that pie, sounds good!
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    jamie uk wrote:
    I would consider giving up my potato ban for some of that pie, sounds good!
    It is! :)
    Seriously delicious...seriously not good for you. :)
    Potato ban...lol
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    TrixieCat wrote:
    It is! :)
    Seriously delicious...seriously not good for you. :)
    Potato ban...lol
    Yes, potato ban. Today we had roast lamb dinner, even then I don't have poatoes, they are the devils food!
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    jamie uk wrote:
    Yes, potato ban. Today we had roast lamb dinner, even then I don't have poatoes, they are the devils food!
    You ate a lamb? :(
    All cuteness aside..I don't like lamb. My friend made it once and because she is a great cook, it was good for what it was...but I just don't like the taste. And I certainly didn't want to be rude.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    TrixieCat wrote:
    You ate a lamb? :(
    All cuteness aside..I don't like lamb. My friend made it once and because she is a great cook, it was good for what it was...but I just don't like the taste. And I certainly didn't want to be rude.
    Oops sorry. We eat lambs in Wales, with gravey and mint sauce. Mmmmmm
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    jamie uk wrote:
    Oops sorry. We eat lambs in Wales, with gravey and mint sauce. Mmmmmm
    That's ok.
    I am sure people in India are appalled that we eat cows.
    And maybe you have turkeys in your petting zoos over there. lol
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    TrixieCat wrote:
    That's ok.
    I am sure people in India are appalled that we eat cows.
    And maybe you have turkeys in your petting zoos over there. lol
    I know, crazy folks eating all sorts, you'll be telling me you eat raw fish next..!
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    jamie uk wrote:
    I know, crazy folks eating all sorts, you'll be telling me you eat raw fish next..!
    :o
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • TrixieCat wrote:
    I am really embarassed that I may seem ungrateful..it being Thanksgiving and all, but it's true. :o
    I lied....I actually am making something. I make a Polish potato pie with kielbasa that I break out before dinner so everyone can fill up. :p
    It is really good.

    I would like to see the recipe for this dish you speak of!
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I would like to see the recipe for this dish you speak of!
    :)
    Ok.

    Polish Potato Pie

    Flaky Pastry-recipe follows
    1 lb kielbasa
    6 med size potatoes
    2 med size onions-chopped (1 Cup)
    2 cloves garlic-minced
    1 tbs flour
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp minced chives
    1 tsp minced parsley
    ½ tsp pepper
    ¼ tsp ground mace
    ¼ cup (half stick) butter
    2/3 c heavy crème
    1 egg


    Prepare pastry and reserve.
    Cut Kielbasa into slices
    Cook potatoes in salt water until partially cooked, about 15 min.
    Drain and peel
    Combine onions, garlic, flour, salt, chives, parsley, pepper and mace in small bowl and mix.
    Roll out 2/3 of the pastry on floured surface into 14” round and fit into 10” pie plate.
    Arrange half of the potatoes in pastry-lined plate. Sprinkle with half the onion mixture; top with half the kielbasa. Dot with half the butter. Repeat Layering with remaining ingredients.
    Pour 1/3 crème over the layers.
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    Roll out remaining pastry. Cut vent in center. Place on top of pie. Trim, seal and flute.
    Beat egg in bowl and stir in remaining crème. Brush pastry with liquid and reserve remainder.
    Bake for 35 min.
    Pour remaining crème mixture through vent hole and bake for 10 min.


    Flakey pastry

    Combine 3 cups sifted all purpose flour and 1 tsp salt in med. Sized bowl. Cut in 1 cup vegetable shortening with pastry blender until mixture is crumbly and the size of peas.
    Sprinkle ½ c ice water over mixture, stirring with a fork just until it holds together and leaves the sides of the bowl clean.
    Gather into a ball.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    TrixieCat wrote:
    :)
    Ok.

    Polish Potato Pie

    Flaky Pastry-recipe follows
    1 lb kielbasa
    6 med size potatoes
    2 med size onions-chopped (1 Cup)
    2 cloves garlic-minced
    1 tbs flour
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp minced chives
    1 tsp minced parsley
    ½ tsp pepper
    ¼ tsp ground mace
    ¼ cup (half stick) butter
    2/3 c heavy crème
    1 egg


    Prepare pastry and reserve.
    Cut Kielbasa into slices
    Cook potatoes in salt water until partially cooked, about 15 min.
    Drain and peel
    Combine onions, garlic, flour, salt, chives, parsley, pepper and mace in small bowl and mix.
    Roll out 2/3 of the pastry on floured surface into 14” round and fit into 10” pie plate.
    Arrange half of the potatoes in pastry-lined plate. Sprinkle with half the onion mixture; top with half the kielbasa. Dot with half the butter. Repeat Layering with remaining ingredients.
    Pour 1/3 crème over the layers.
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    Roll out remaining pastry. Cut vent in center. Place on top of pie. Trim, seal and flute.
    Beat egg in bowl and stir in remaining crème. Brush pastry with liquid and reserve remainder.
    Bake for 35 min.
    Pour remaining crème mixture through vent hole and bake for 10 min.


    Flakey pastry

    Combine 3 cups sifted all purpose flour and 1 tsp salt in med. Sized bowl. Cut in 1 cup vegetable shortening with pastry blender until mixture is crumbly and the size of peas.
    Sprinkle ½ c ice water over mixture, stirring with a fork just until it holds together and leaves the sides of the bowl clean.
    Gather into a ball.


    YUMMMMY 1 LB KIELBASA... WOOO
    LET'S GO RANGERS!! - eddie vedder new team :)

    hockey......... It's that sport that rolls football and basketball up and makes them its bitch.-songburst

    McCAIN IN 08!! (not the racist other guy)


    PROTECT OUR SHARKS (IF THEY BECOME EXTINCT ,SO DO WE)
  • TrixieCat wrote:
    :)
    Ok.

    Polish Potato Pie

    Flaky Pastry-recipe follows
    1 lb kielbasa
    6 med size potatoes
    2 med size onions-chopped (1 Cup)
    2 cloves garlic-minced
    1 tbs flour
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp minced chives
    1 tsp minced parsley
    ½ tsp pepper
    ¼ tsp ground mace
    ¼ cup (half stick) butter
    2/3 c heavy crème
    1 egg


    Prepare pastry and reserve.
    Cut Kielbasa into slices
    Cook potatoes in salt water until partially cooked, about 15 min.
    Drain and peel
    Combine onions, garlic, flour, salt, chives, parsley, pepper and mace in small bowl and mix.
    Roll out 2/3 of the pastry on floured surface into 14” round and fit into 10” pie plate.
    Arrange half of the potatoes in pastry-lined plate. Sprinkle with half the onion mixture; top with half the kielbasa. Dot with half the butter. Repeat Layering with remaining ingredients.
    Pour 1/3 crème over the layers.
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    Roll out remaining pastry. Cut vent in center. Place on top of pie. Trim, seal and flute.
    Beat egg in bowl and stir in remaining crème. Brush pastry with liquid and reserve remainder.
    Bake for 35 min.
    Pour remaining crème mixture through vent hole and bake for 10 min.


    Flakey pastry

    Combine 3 cups sifted all purpose flour and 1 tsp salt in med. Sized bowl. Cut in 1 cup vegetable shortening with pastry blender until mixture is crumbly and the size of peas.
    Sprinkle ½ c ice water over mixture, stirring with a fork just until it holds together and leaves the sides of the bowl clean.
    Gather into a ball.

    Thanks! I have never heard of this recipe...looks tasty!
  • i know i'll be making pumpkin pies
    not sure what else
    my family is divided in that 1/2 wants to eat out for Thanksgiving and the other 1/2 wants to eat at home
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~PJ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥ KoL ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    1/14/95, Charlotte 2000, 2003:4/15, 4/16, 7/1, 7/5, 7/6, 7/8, 7/9, 2006: 5/27, 5/28, 5/30;6/17/08, 6/28/08
    *** www.myspace.com/pirljamgirl***
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,957
    justam wrote:
    I haven't heard of that before!

    (We usually use olive oil, lemon juice and garlic to baste the turkey.)

    I would never kid about dumping a bottle of wine on a thanksgiving turkey. Trust me when I say it's fantastic. And because it's wine and not just regular turkey juices, etc, I tend to baste much more than normal. And TC - instead of pounding that wine, try this basting tactic! I'm telling you it is the greatest!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • evenkatevenkat Posts: 380
    TrixieCat wrote:
    :)
    Ok.

    Polish Potato Pie

    Flaky Pastry-recipe follows
    1 lb kielbasa
    6 med size potatoes
    2 med size onions-chopped (1 Cup)
    2 cloves garlic-minced
    1 tbs flour
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp minced chives
    1 tsp minced parsley
    ½ tsp pepper
    ¼ tsp ground mace
    ¼ cup (half stick) butter
    2/3 c heavy crème
    1 egg


    Prepare pastry and reserve.
    Cut Kielbasa into slices
    Cook potatoes in salt water until partially cooked, about 15 min.
    Drain and peel
    Combine onions, garlic, flour, salt, chives, parsley, pepper and mace in small bowl and mix.
    Roll out 2/3 of the pastry on floured surface into 14” round and fit into 10” pie plate.
    Arrange half of the potatoes in pastry-lined plate. Sprinkle with half the onion mixture; top with half the kielbasa. Dot with half the butter. Repeat Layering with remaining ingredients.
    Pour 1/3 crème over the layers.
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    Roll out remaining pastry. Cut vent in center. Place on top of pie. Trim, seal and flute.
    Beat egg in bowl and stir in remaining crème. Brush pastry with liquid and reserve remainder.
    Bake for 35 min.
    Pour remaining crème mixture through vent hole and bake for 10 min.


    Flakey pastry

    Combine 3 cups sifted all purpose flour and 1 tsp salt in med. Sized bowl. Cut in 1 cup vegetable shortening with pastry blender until mixture is crumbly and the size of peas.
    Sprinkle ½ c ice water over mixture, stirring with a fork just until it holds together and leaves the sides of the bowl clean.
    Gather into a ball.

    Sounds yummy! Do you put gravy on it too or is it ok by itself?
    "...believe in lies...to get by...it's divine...whoa...oh, you know what its like..."
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    evenkat wrote:
    Sounds yummy! Do you put gravy on it too or is it ok by itself?
    I never even thought about that. But it doesn't need any. You can also make it in a square baking dish and cut it into squares or rectangles, rather than pie slices. I break it out as an appetizer. It is quite heavy so we at least get some good food in us before the sister in laws meal. :p
    Steve, I don't make the turkey this year. My turkey is awesome and I use lemon juice, olive oil and white wine or vermouth.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,957
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I never even thought about that. But it doesn't need any. You can also make it in a square baking dish and cut it into squares or rectangles, rather than pie slices. I break it out as an appetizer. It is quite heavy so we at least get some good food in us before the sister in laws meal. :p
    Steve, I don't make the turkey this year. My turkey is awesome and I use lemon juice, olive oil and white wine or vermouth.

    Gotcha...and that baste sounds great!!
    I love to turn you on
  • evenkatevenkat Posts: 380
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I never even thought about that. But it doesn't need any. You can also make it in a square baking dish and cut it into squares or rectangles, rather than pie slices. I break it out as an appetizer. It is quite heavy so we at least get some good food in us before the sister in laws meal. :p
    Steve, I don't make the turkey this year. My turkey is awesome and I use lemon juice, olive oil and white wine or vermouth.

    Lol kinda like for people who like square pizza over round pizza? Her food is that bad eh?

    I've an easy job this year. We usually just drink wine and beer but my sister asked me to make mixed drinks because lately I guess I've been the bartender at the family get-togethers so I came up with these:

    Cranberry Margaritas

    1 1/4 cup cranberry juice
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 1/2 cup fresh frozen cranberries, rinsed
    3/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
    3/4 cup tequila
    1/2 cup Grand Marnier
    ice

    Pour half of mixture in the blender and fill rest with ice. Blend. Repeat with second half of mixture. Makes 2 blender batches.

    White Cransicle

    4 ounces Ocean Spray White Cranberry Juice Drink
    1 ounce vodka
    1/2 ounce Crème de Cacao
    1/2 ounce Triple Sec
    1 ounce heavy cream (or half and half)

    Pour juice, vodka, Crème de Cacao and Triple Sec over rocks in a doubles glass; add a splash of cream, stir and serve. Garnish with a cherry.
    Makes 1 serving.

    Pumpkin Pie Cocktail

    1 oz Malibu rum
    1 oz Kahlua
    6 oz milk
    1/3 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 to 1 tsp pumpkin pie filling (depending on desired taste)

    Blend all ingredients together in a blender with a few cubes of ice. Serve in a glass rimmed with very finely crushed graham cracker crumbs. Sprinkle more cinnamon on top for garnish.

    I'm thinking the pumpkin pie cocktail maybe a little too heavy cuz we need to save room for all that delicious food. I can't freakin wait!

    Anyone know of a good Thanksgiving mixed drink/cocktail?
    "...believe in lies...to get by...it's divine...whoa...oh, you know what its like..."
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,299
    The pumpkin pie drink does look a bit heavy, but the other two...yum! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,957
    Two things I can't stand on Thanksgiving is pumpkin pie and the whole cranberry thing, but damn those drink recipes look fantastic!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • same as last year...reservations. ;)
    just 4 of this year so all the more reason, dinner at a nice restaurant and we all can get what we want, no cleanup, and just enjoy each other's company. tis all good. :)
    That sounds really cozy and surprisingly enjoyable.
    Austin City Limits - Oct 04, 2009
13»
This discussion has been closed.