Options

Twilight

Comments

• Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    They're just good clean, classicist mythological fun. Each book has a mystery, smooth writing. Good stuff. Entertaining as all hell. But then, even as a lit major I was never a snob. I read because I love a good story and loathe the narcissism of the current writers. It's why I'm a big Michael Chabon fan, even if he has fallen off the wagon.

Oh, you were being serious. Well, no harm done I guess.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I love vampire movies, but after watching the preview for this movie, I swallowed a little of my own puke. It is definitely aimed at 13 year old girls.
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Yeah, never got that craze either...
    Never diss Harry Potter :) That and comic books was what got my teenage son into reading, something which I tried and falied to do. Now, at 15, he'll read anything he can get his hands on. He's always raiding my bookshelves for George Orwell, HP Lovecraft and Poe, something I never thought I'd see, but I'm more than glad it's happening :)
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Never diss Harry Potter :) That and comic books was what got my teenage son into reading, something which I tried and falied to do. Now, at 15, he'll read anything he can get his hands on. He's always raiding my bookshelves for George Orwell, HP Lovecraft and Poe, something I never thought I'd see, but I'm more than glad it's happening :)

hehe. I read a ton of fantasy and sci-fi books as a kid. I certainly have no qualm with kids getting into reading... even if it is those Twilight books (that was hard to admit). I just don't get the adult fascination. Not that there's anything wrong with it...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    eyedclaar wrote:
    hehe. I read a ton of fantasy and sci-fi books as a kid. I certainly have no qualm with kids getting into reading... even if it is those Twilight books (that was hard to admit). I just don't get the adult fascination. Not that there's anything wrong with it...
    I read Harry Potter. They were ok. Never read Twilight though. But I'd rather kids read crap books, than no books. My ex mother in law never read anything apart from magazines, and my father in law, nothing but the newspaper :eek:

I've tried hard to instill my love of books into my kids, and every little helps. Anything that gets people to read more can only be a good thing....even if it is crap writing :o
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    i was wondering the same thing last nite watching the news and the kids all in line. i have no idea what the deal is with this stuff
  • Options
    Twilight - 4 movies
    Lord of the Rings - 3 movies (and maybe another on the way)
    Harry Potter - 8 movies

Why on Earth can we not get a Dark Tower movie series??
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    ok so I took my neice to see this last night and I have to say...it sucked
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,048
    Twilight - 4 movies
    Harry Potter - 8 movies

can you imagine the cost to produce? May have to wait til CGI gets more advanced.Would LOVE to see that though. Now the question is who directs?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    mickeyrat wrote:
    can you imagine the cost to produce? May have to wait til CGI gets more advanced.Would LOVE to see that though. Now the question is who directs?

HBO miniseries I hear
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    Twilight - 4 movies
    Harry Potter - 8 movies

How many copies did each of those sell compared to the Dark Tower? Sadly, the fantasy genre is kind of a niche one, and the cost of 7 Dark Tower movies is unlikely to make if profitable. Even LOTR was hard pressed to keep people on board for 3 movies and it's hugely popular around the world.

I think the mini series idea has promise. They're doing a mini series for George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, so I could see someone picking up Dark Tower.
    she was underwhelmed, if that's a word
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    supposed to be all-the-rage with girls around my age. there are some huge fans at my high school, but as a whole, my school isn't too obsessed. i've never read the book, but i know that a bunch of my good friends who have really dislike it. plus, the fact that it's become popular makes them dislike it even more.

but me, i've never read it/seen it, so im pretty neutral on this subject
  • Options
    roarroar Posts: 1,116
    looks like this movie is helping tourism to Forks, WA (a former logging town):
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26811199/
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I read the book because I was writing a YA book and someone said Twilight was a good model. OMG, the writing is so awful and the main character is this shallow dull girl who only exists to lust after Edward the sexy vampire (with his "well-muscled chest"). They can't kiss because if they do, her scent will make him bite her.

I only read the first one - I guess they get married in book 3 or 4 and she gets pregnant (?).

Ghastly.
  • Options
    Enkidu wrote:
    I read the book because I was writing a YA book and someone said Twilight was a good model. OMG, the writing is so awful and the main character is this shallow dull girl who only exists to lust after Edward the sexy vampire (with his "well-muscled chest"). They can't kiss because if they do, her scent will make him bite her.

I only read the first one - I guess they get married in book 3 or 4 and she gets pregnant (?).

Ghastly.

I've heard the author was a Mormon or something, and that there's a strong feminist backlash to these books. The main charcter is apparently the old ideal woman who is completely subservient and worshipful of her man and there are all these veiled references to how dangerous and evil it is to have sex. I don't think I could stomach these.
  • Options
    yea, twilight is friggin huge at my high school. all these people think its the greatest thing since sliced bread. its really ridiculous.
    "I changed by not changing at all"
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Twilight - 4 movies
    Harry Potter - 8 movies

I agree 999%..

It would be a lot of movies though, or a lot cut out.

They could combine Gunslinger with The Drawing of the Three as one movie maybe. Wastelands as the second movie, skip the Wizard or Glass because it is a prequal essentially, and so on..
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    Is the title of my email this morning from a very good friend. I read the series which I enjoyed. Yes, its a tweenie book, but I liked it. It was fast and easy and entertaining and no worse then any romance novel on the shelf. But my friend who went to the movies summed it all up, her sister turned to her during it and said "I'm embarrassed for myself" and her 14 yr old niece said "That was the best movie I have ever seen".
    I'll see it, but wait for the DVD release.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    I loved South Park's take on the whole tween vampire craze.
  • Options
    I heard about this movie on the news, the news anchor said "Move over Harry Potter, theres a new kid in town." I was confused because I hadnt heard anything about either the book or the movie until a few days ago.
    I'm spinning, oh, I'm spinning

6/30/2008 - Mansfield, MA.
    5/17/2010 - Boston, MA
    9/3/2011 - East Troy, WI (PJ20)
    9/4/2011 - East Troy, WI (PJ20)
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 wrote:
    Is the title of my email this morning from a very good friend. I read the series which I enjoyed. Yes, its a tweenie book, but I liked it. It was fast and easy and entertaining and no worse then any romance novel on the shelf. But my friend who went to the movies summed it all up, her sister turned to her during it and said "I'm embarrassed for myself" and her 14 yr old niece said "That was the best movie I have ever seen".
    I'll see it, but wait for the DVD release.

Well, if you read romance novels then I don't think anyone's expecting you to be a barometer of good literary taste ;)
  • Options
    alabamaalabama Posts: 101
    I've heard the author was a Mormon or something, and that there's a strong feminist backlash to these books. The main charcter is apparently the old ideal woman who is completely subservient and worshipful of her man and there are all these veiled references to how dangerous and evil it is to have sex. I don't think I could stomach these.

That's interesting, I didn't pick up on all that. Granted, I wasn't reading it all that deeply, or looking for meaning or anything. I read the first one this weekend, and I have to admit...I liked it. I'm 29 and female, btw. Read it on a recommendation of a friend of mine.
    It's mindless, quick reading. And it's a decent story, I thought. I'm sure I'll read the other three just to find out what happens...that said, I won't see the movie. Looks awful. I certainly would't put the book anywhere near my top books of all time...but it's not THAT terrible. I kind of ejoyed it...tween-aged vampires, fun! ;)
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    Well, if you read romance novels then I don't think anyone's expecting you to be a barometer of good literary taste ;)

So reading a romance novel every now and then makes me a literary idiot? I don't think so, jeez, some people are so snobby. ;).
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    muiren77muiren77 Posts: 3,511
    just watched the movie...it was not that bad...the love story of bella and edward is cute...mortal and vampire...
    what is essential is invisible to the eye

apparently, 07162056 is THE date...
  • Options
    What's the deal with this movie?? It's getting hyped like crazy. Am I missing something? :confused:

I didnt read the whole thread but what I've gathered you have to be a dorky/horny teenager to enjoy it

All over the news here it looked like a Proactiv commerical at the mall with screaming girls

;)
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    I didnt read the whole thread but what I've gathered you have to be a dorky/horny teenager to enjoy it

All over the news here it looked like a Proactiv commerical at the mall with screaming girls

;)

yeah, it's true that the book (haven't read it yet but i think it's interesting) is teen-aged oriented, but you are pretty harsh to judge and label the people as "being dorky/horny teenager" if they enjoyed reading the book or watching the movie, just saying...

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    muiren77 wrote:
    yeah, it's true that the book (haven't read it yet but i think it's interesting) is teen-aged oriented, but you are pretty harsh to judge and label the people as "being dorky/horny teenager" if they enjoyed reading the book or watching the movie, just saying...

it is very teen orientated. i read it over the weekend and was a bit disappointed that i couldnt really get into it. i realise i am outside the demographic. but tis about vampires for christs sake. and nothing is more appealing to me than vampires.
    personally i found it to be a disneyfication of vampires. kinda like sweet valley high vampires. the characters were for me not fleshed out enough. though edward interests me. im waiting for him to totally lose his shit. and not against a bad guy.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    What are we defining as romance novels here? Trashy pulp novels for middle-aged women or any novels dealing with love?
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    it is very teen orientated. i read it over the weekend and was a bit disappointed that i couldnt really get into it. i realise i am outside the demographic. but tis about vampires for christs sake. and nothing is more appealing to me than vampires.
    personally i found it to be a disneyfication of vampires. kinda like sweet valley high vampires. the characters were for me not fleshed out enough. though edward interests me. im waiting for him to totally lose his shit. and not against a bad guy.

hahaha...i kinda have an idea what you mean about edward losing it...poor guy...

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,562
    But I'd rather kids read crap books, than no books.

I've tried hard to instill my love of books into my kids, and every little helps. Anything that gets people to read more can only be a good thing....even if it is crap writing :o

You make a FANTASTIC point! Which is better: a "good" video game or a "bad" book?
    I've heard the author was a Mormon or something
    Yep... Mormon BYU grad. Bleech! :p

Actually, my wife reads a LOT and most of it is "good" writing. But she likes these books, too. What can I say? :rolleyes:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16