Fate vs. Free Will

AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I've always had the motto: "Everything happens for a reason" and I truly believe that. But, I've always wondered just how exactly we can change/affect our destinies.

In the book I'm currently reading (Eat, Pray, Love) I think the author has some pretty good insights and I thought I'd get some feedback from you guys. What do you think?
This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Fate Will!

Have you read The Alchemist?
  • Not sure I believe in fate, but it's pretty impossible to prove that there's no such thing as fate when you really think about it.
  • I believe in a thing called love. Just listen to the rythum of my heart
    I'm so dangerous I smoke dynamite.

• AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    sennin wrote:
    Fate Will!

Nope. I haven't.

• i believe that i dont know if everything happens for a reason.

i like to think that i can win with whatever hand i am dealt.

if you can change and effect your destiny, couldnt it have been your destiny to do so?
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    drtyfrnk29 wrote:
    I believe in a thing called love. Just listen to the rythum of my heart

ew! why did you remind me of this song
    if you can change and effect your destiny, couldnt it have been your destiny to do so?

Yes, EXACTLY! When I start trying to figure it out my mind gets all twisted up! LOL!

Then, I start thinking...I can win the lottery only if I play (which I don't)...and it would be my free will to purchase the ticket, right? Or would it have been my fate to purchase it?

UGH..I've been watching too much LOST I think.

• senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Nope. I haven't.

Fate Vs. Will
    Fate is constantly intertwined with will, and a key theme of the book focuses on how much in life is under one's control, and how much is controlled by fate. The old king states that the world's greatest lie is that "at some point during our lives, we lose control of what's happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate." While this point of view strongly supports that will has a stronger hold on one's destiny, later events, such as Santiago and the alchemist being caught by warring tribes, demonstrate fate's hold on one's life. However, in every situation where fate does take over, the characters are capable to extricate themselves from the situation. For instance, after being caught by the tribal chief, Santiago is able to turn himself into the wind, demonstrate his power, and is released.

Love
    Love is described as a part of the Soul of the World. Love occurs in life and Nature, as everything supports each other, they love each other. Santiago tells the desert that it shows love for the alchemist's falcon by offering it game, after which the falcon shows love to man as it offers the game to eat, and the man shows love for the desert as after one dies, his body is reintegrated into the desert sands. There is also love in people, demonstrated by Santiago's love of Fatima's beauty, and Santiago's knowing that it is part of his Personal Legend to love her. Also, there is true love, a brief definition given by the alchemist; "True love is love that allows you to reach your Personal Legend!"

Controlled Luck
    The theme of controlled luck is prominent in this book, as the old king and the alchemist both tell Santiago about how if one really wants to fulfill his/her Personal Legend, the whole universe will conspire to help make it happen. Coelho refers to this as the idea of "beginner's luck", or the concept of favorability. Santiago is blessed with beginner's luck, when he decides to go to Africa. He manages to sell all of his sheep very easily, and is given "a taste of success" that whets the appetite to fulfill one's Personal Legend. Also the wind learns to love, it shows this when at the end of the book Santiago receives a kiss from Fatima in the wind.

Spiritual Enlightenment
    In The Alchemist, a kind of spiritual enlightenment is accomplished by fulfilling one's Personal Legend, and adding to the Soul of the World, which is the "light" of most religions (as described in Coelho's Beliefnet Interview). The spiritual influence of this book is omniscient, for example in Santiago's "turning himself into the wind" stunt. He learns the Language of the World, which is basically the language of the Soul of the World. As the Soul of the World is related to the Soul of God, Santiago is able to perform miracles after he has reached into the Soul of the World.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,440
    The wisdom I appreciate from my eldest, most cynical friend is that the older she gets, the more she feels she has no control of anything at all.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Both.. Its like looking at the same thing from two different angles.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    this reminds me; what happened to that Ahnimus bloke, who always started threads about fate, etc?
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    this reminds me; what happened to that Ahnimus bloke, who always started threads about fate, etc?

gone.....although i believe he isn't coming back not that he was permabanned.......first person i thought of when i read the thread...:)
  • anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    to quote Sarah Conner in Terminator 2:

There is no fate but what we make.

I know, lame. But kind a true.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    cutback wrote:
    gone.....although i believe he isn't coming back not that he was permabanned.......first person i thought of when i read the thread...:)

Permanned, eh?

Reminds me of Sansabelt (as in the slacks!)

yes, I am crazy.
    cutback wrote:

Great...it was definitely NOT my intention to remind people of A.

• BlancheBlanche Posts: 247
    Free will determines one's fate. Much like how fate will influence one's free will.

Which brings into question how free we are in making our decisions.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I think our lives are always a bit of both.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    Blanche wrote:
    Which brings into question how free we are in making our decisions.

That's the EXACT question. Where does one end and the other begin??

Great...it was definitely NOT my intention to remind people of A.

i know....but the guy had it bad for this discussion...:)

as for your ??, i really don't think about it...i get a headache if i do....;) :D
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I've always had the motto: "Everything happens for a reason" and I truly believe that. But, I've always wondered just how exactly we can change/affect our destinies.

In the book I'm currently reading (Eat, Pray, Love) I think the author has some pretty good insights and I thought I'd get some feedback from you guys. What do you think?
    I read that book. It's a good book. Life is what we make it, why not make it great![my brother's high school slogan, and I think it's a beer commercial.]

You can't prove a destiny, but you can prove directed energy leads to certain results. I believe strongly in both, but free will always wins out.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    sennin wrote:
    Fate Will!

Yep, I read that at the right time. The second time I read the book it didn't seem to fit my life, but the first time it did.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • SomniumSomnium Posts: 85
    People like to call an end result fate because it makes them feel better.

It is what it will be and it will be what you make it.....

and of course what others make it along with you.

It's a sunk cake, if you ask me.
    fuck the public
  • Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    Even when I'm pissed about being in certain situations, I can see how I played a part in getting myself there.

.....I take credit for a lot of the good stuff too. :p

Believing in fate is fun when cool and seemingly unexplainable shit happens. However, I don't care for the lack of accountability in fate.

Ten tiny words of power: If it is to be, it is up to me.
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    What about that guy that went into that Chevy dealership.. on his day off... and had an airplane crash on top of him, killing him?
    Fate? Or his Free Will to go into work on his day off?
    I believe the moral of this tale is... NEVER go to work on your day off.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
    Cosmo wrote:
    What about that guy that went into that Chevy dealership.. on his day off... and had an airplane crash on top of him, killing him?
    Fate? Or his Free Will to go into work on his day off?
    I believe the moral of this tale is... NEVER go to work on your day off.

or don't buy a chevy....;)
  • vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,091
    I strongly believe there are reasons for everything. People have a hand in their own destiny, however, if whatever it is fails to work after exhausting every avenue, it simply wasn't meant to be and there's something else in store down the line. Pretty cool the way things work, actually.
    We’ll meet again, but not yet…not yet. 
    vmfury wrote:
    I strongly believe there are reasons for everything. People have a hand in their own destiny, however, if whatever it is fails to work after exhausting every avenue, it simply wasn't meant to be and there's something else in store down the line. Pretty cool the way things work, actually.

I totally agree!

Oh and...the guy that was killed by an airplane at the Chevy dealership?...nightmare!! I heard about it on the news but didn't realize it was his day off!! :(

• brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    If it is to be, it is up to me.

i agree.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • If you believe in fate it's the same thing as admitting you believe in god and there is some layer of magic woven into reality that controls everything. Not a scrap of evidence points to this. The reality is to my understanding the brain makes these associations and assembles them into rational orders and patterns instead. This is an evolutionary trait I believe.

Free will is essentially an illusion in the short answer. We all respond and act according to set criteria of stimulus, and no one can escape this reality. You are free to make decisions, however, but those decisions are greatly impacted by the human condition, which is hard coded to to respond along specific set of genetic mappings to ensure your survival and happiness. So, in effect, the state of absolute free will is, by nature's design, impossible. Emotions and senses.

We cannot choose or control what hormones our brains release in response to what stimuli. There is no dominion over this at present time. Perhaps as the next course of evolution, as long as it is seen as preferable to survival, in order to create enough of an evolutionary filter for life to pass through so to speak.

my 2c
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Good thread.

Howard Thurman once said 'Fate is the raw materials of experience. They come uninvited and often unanticipated. Destiny is what a man does with these raw materials.'

I do believe that to a certain extent fate does play a part in our life. Things happen for a reason. But if fate controls our life, then what is worth striving for? If we leave it to fate, we become reactive in life and we tend to blame the world and everyone for any failures we might have in life.

There are so many things beyond our control. Like, when we are born, we can't control who our parents are, what country and conditions we are born in, whether we are rich or poor, sick or healthy, mostly they are beyond our control. We can't control drunk drivers killing innocent people, pedophiles stalking children and so many other crazy fucked up things that happen in this world.

What we can control is how we react to these situations and and how we can best make use of our life.

We do have choices in life! If we strictly believe that our life is a pre-destined one, we are left with no choice. Being proactive in our life means taking responsibility for our actions and our situation.

At least that's the way i see it anyway.