Options

What Do You Get Someone with Alzheimers?

2»

Comments

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    TrixieCat wrote:

thank you for this trix.
    today we had christmas dinner with my ex. his mother has alzheimers and i have to admit tis difficult for me to deal with. for the past 23 years this women, the grandmother to my children has been such a light. we always had the best conversations and i admire her greatly. she was always the smartest woman i know and she bought up her son to be a such a good man. but since this insidious thing has taken her over, i find myself having to adjust my mindset tremendously and the way in which i approach her. ive had to endlessly explain to sam(10) and zoe(8) that sometimes their grandma doesnt know who they are. she doesnt know where she is and sometimes she will be angry with them for no discernible reason. this christmas season i had literally no idea what to buy for her. i so wish i had have read this thread earlier because the photo idea is such a brilliant idea and i have to confess it never entered my mind. so anyway even though i cant gift to her a book of memories this week, i surely am going to get one together and just give it to her when ive got it together.
    thank you again. and also to the others who suggested a photo album. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    I got my Grandparents (who are amazingly 97 & 96, and still live in the same house my dad grew up in) a digital photo frame. They have picture frames everywhere, but got the digital frame thinking I can swap out the card whenever I go see them, refresh their pictures without adding to the clutter in their house.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    merkinball wrote:
    I got my Grandparents (who are amazingly 97 & 96, and still live in the same house my dad grew up in) a digital photo frame. They have picture frames everywhere, but got the digital frame thinking I can swap out the card whenever I go see them, refresh their pictures without adding to the clutter in their house.

That's a good idea too. As long as they recognise who's on the photo. :D
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    That's a good idea too. As long as they recognise who's on the photo. :D

True. But they still do, and I'm thankful for that.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball