Options

What Do You Get Someone with Alzheimers?

AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I know it's last minute...but I have been pondering this question since Thanksgiving. Both my dad's parents have Alzheimers and are both in (seperate) nursing homes. We have recently begun cleaning out their (former) home and are in the process of selling it. This is the hardest thing I've ever gone through and Christmas is making it worse. No more Christmas at Grandma's! :(

Anyways, back to my original question...What do you get someone with Alzheimers? Books, puzzles, movies etc are out. Grandma has enough plants in her room to replenish the rainforests. Does anyone have any recommendations???
This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    What about a painting or something decorative for a room? A wall hanging? Something that someone doesn't have to 'remember' as such, but they can look at and appreciate.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    What about a painting or something decorative for a room? A wall hanging?

Well, I mean I certainly could...but Grandma's room (at an assisted living place) has all the paintings, pictures, decorations from the house. And, Grandpa is actually in a nursing home and shares a small room with another patient.

• Options
    Well, I mean I certainly could...but Grandma's room (at an assisted living place) has all the paintings, pictures, decorations from the house. And, Grandpa is actually in a nursing home and shares a small room with another patient.

Cool.. how about music? Do they like classical? Jazz? My granddad couldn't get enough of Frank Sinatra... something good mood-inducing.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    Cool.. how about music? Do they like classical? Jazz? My granddad couldn't get enough of Frank Sinatra...

Eh...I think they're indifferent when it comes to music...and definitely wouldn't know how to use a CD player.

• Options
    Eh...I think they're indifferent when it comes to music...and definitely wouldn't know how to use a CD player.

Ahh good point.... hmm, it's a difficult one.. gives me Alzheimers just thinking about it! Sorry I can't be more help.

Incidentally, most old people I've had contact with want nothing more than people's time. Just go and see 'em :)

• Options
    what about some type of chocolates? thats what i always get my grandmom.
  • Options
    MagstarMagstar Posts: 117
    Music's a good idea. But so are picture collages. Like, of family members. To help them remember. :)
    It's okay, Pluto. I'm not a planet either.
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    How about a photo frame with a picture of the family or a photo album with photos in it. My grand fater had dementia and it used to break my heart when I would go and see him (he was someone i was really close too) and he would forget who i was and ask if i was nurse. By the end of the visit he would love me again. I didnt want to leave because I knew that next time i would come in, it would be the same.

Sometimes when im singing in the shower :) and i sing eric clapton tears in heven it makes me so sad. Grandad has been dead for 7 yrs now and when i sing "would you know my name if i saw u in heaven?" just makes me wanna cry
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    pjfan31 wrote:
    Sometimes when im singing in the shower :) and i sing eric clapton tears in heven it makes me so sad. Grandad has been dead for 7 yrs now and when i sing "would you know my name if i saw u in heaven?" just makes me wanna cry

He knows.:)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    pjfan31 wrote:
    How about a photo frame with a picture of the family or a photo album with photos in it. My grand fater had dementia and it used to break my heart when I would go and see him (he was someone i was really close too) and he would forget who i was and ask if i was nurse. By the end of the visit he would love me again. I didnt want to leave because I knew that next time i would come in, it would be the same.

I bought my dad the new Clapton greatest hits for Christmas - I might have to steal it momentarily for my iPod. I NEED that song...

• Options
    what about some type of chocolates? thats what i always get my grandmom.

I think this is what I'm going to have to go with.

• Options
    He knows.:)
    Thanks
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Actually Mer, I'm really glad you asked this question, because I've been struggling for years now with what to get my aunt who has Down's Syndrome and Crohn's.

She really doesn't get excited about much, or seem to need gifts and she's rather particular about what she wears, or has, doesn't read, has very set taste in music and movies (and we've already bought her pretty much everything there anyway) and of course she doesn't do too well with chocolate or food. There's only so many blue t-shirts I can buy her. (and usually those aren't right anyway. I know because she throws them back at me if they are unsatisfactory! :D )

I think magstar's suggestion regarding the photo collage is an excellent one, or a photo in a frame as pjfan31 suggested. That's what I'm gonna do for my aunt!! :)

Tis a difficult thing finding something for some loved ones and I understand how you love them and want to give them things when really they don't need anything. So extra visiting time, whilst really difficult, especially this time of year, (as harmless suggested) is probably a great thing to do also if you can.

Sorry it's happening to you love, especially the no more visits or Christmases at grandma's house (that sucks! :( ). Well all of it sucks love. I'm sorry it's happening.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    pjfan31 wrote:

:( That's so sad.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Photo albums with pictures of their loved ones, including parents and siblings. And then spend time with Grandma an Pa looking at them.

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    pjfan31 wrote:

i just started to cry a bit :(

my papa was diagnosed w/ dementia this past year and we had to place him in the hospital b/c he kept falling down in the middle of the night.

but...i know that he gets cold quite often, so i bought him a nice, warm robe :) not quite the fancy shirt and suspenders that i bought him last year...but i think he'll like it!
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • Options
    I'm working on the picture in a frame. What a great idea!

• Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I'm glad you brought this up. Its something we have struggled with the last few years. We usually get my grandmother things she needs. She can't wear a lot of clothes anymore because she can't figure out the buttons and zippers. This year we got her a couple of dresses. For her birthday last year we bought a really large digital clock that she can see easily. So many of the things she has she can't use anymore so we are trying to replace them with things that are a little easier for her to deal with. Hope this helps. I think the pictures are a great idea. It will help them remember the family.
  • Options
    I agree with the pics. :)

My grandma loved pics (including photos and paintings) when she was in the nursing home. (I don't know if you remember that we've talked about this before, but she had alzheimers, too.) Along with that we always got her comfy clothes, because that was something she enjoyed up to the very end. :)
  • Options
    I know it's last minute...but I have been pondering this question since Thanksgiving. Both my dad's parents have Alzheimers and are both in (seperate) nursing homes. We have recently begun cleaning out their (former) home and are in the process of selling it. This is the hardest thing I've ever gone through and Christmas is making it worse. No more Christmas at Grandma's! :(

Anyways, back to my original question...What do you get someone with Alzheimers? Books, puzzles, movies etc are out. Grandma has enough plants in her room to replenish the rainforests. Does anyone have any recommendations???

A family portrait.....
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    What I though about was a nice cozy down comforter throw or really comfortable pillow. It is hard, and the stories here break my heart, but it is part of life and there isn't much you can do to change it. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    A family portrait.....

I guess I should have read through the thread.....first....
  • Options
    I visited my grandparents for thanksgiving, and I hadn't seen my grandpa for at least 5 years. He has dementia/alzheimers but when he looked at his old pictures he could remember every little detail. its amazing how the brain works. I would imagine your grandparents would enjoy the picture idea. maybe they can relate to some of the older pictures/events in their life better than the more recent ones.

on a side note, saying goodbye to my grandpa was one of the hardest things i've ever had to do in my life. I don't know if I'll see him again and even if I do i don't know what kind of shape he'll be in. love em while you can.
    Take time to see the sky,
    Find shapes in the clouds.
    Hear the murmur of the wind
    and touch the cool water.
    Walk softly,
    we are intruders,
    tolerated briefly
    In an infinite universe.
  • Options
    spongersponger Posts: 3,160
    Meditation tutorials.

In one study, the brain of someone who meditated regularly was discovered to have been ravaged by alzheimers, yet the person was able to function to the degree that the affliction was going unnoticed.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2006/07/31/can-meditation-combat-alzheimers/
  • Options
    I'm working on the picture in a frame. What a great idea!

Sun come up it was blue and gold
    Ever since I put your picture
    In a frame.

I come calling in my Sunday best
    Every since I put your picture
    In a frame

I'm gonna love you
    Till the wheels come off
    Oh yea

I love you baby and I always will
    In a frame
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    Some sort of soap or nice smellies would be good. Whatever you get, they'll forget about it-depending on how severe the dementia is I guess.

This sounds nasty but I really wouldn't worry about it too much. Just get something that looks nice to open and good to look at. :)
  • Options
    pjfan31 wrote:
    In a frame.

Every since I put your picture
    In a frame

I'm gonna love you
    Till the wheels come off
    Oh yea

In a frame

HAHAHA. Yeah, that's where I was going with it. Glad someone got the reference!

• Options
    HAHAHA. Yeah, that's where I was going with it. Glad someone got the reference!

Ever since i put ur picture in a frame. if i ever get married, i want that to play. I love u baby and i always will. I love u baby and i always will
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options