Cloverfield

AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
edited August 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
I just watched it yesterday. I think it traumatized me forever. LOL! It's all I'm going to be thinking about when I'm in NYC in June.

Wasn't a big fan of the ending, though.
This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,125
    All in all, I thought it was a pretty stupid movie. I found it pretty boring and was glad my wife and I rented it instead of going to the theater.
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    All in all, I thought it was a pretty stupid movie. I found it pretty boring and was glad my wife and I rented it instead of going to the theater.

I liked it and definitely found it entertaining...extremely intense. I had to pause it a couple times and go walk around to relax.

• Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    I liked it too, it was decent as long as you weren't expecting box office gold.
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
    Lukin66 wrote:

This is true. You could definitely tell it was JJ Abrams...it seemed to have the "LOST" feel to it.

• rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    it had it's moments, but overall pretty disappointed.

just another movie in which NYC gets flattened!
  • stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    Lukin66 wrote:

agreed. if your expectations for the movie are too high, you're in for a disappointment.
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
  • EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865
    I thought it was a fun movie. A more realistic take on a well...not so realistic idea. I'm pretty excited for the next one although it'll be a while. I liked the ending where you can see something dropping into the ocean right before the credits.
    it seemed to have the "LOST" feel to it.
    Don't watch Lost, so I'm not sure about that, but to me it seemed like a rip off of Blair Witch, except that this one took place in a big city
    EvilMerlin wrote:
    I thought it was a fun movie. A more realistic take on a well...not so realistic idea. I'm pretty excited for the next one although it'll be a while. I liked the ending where you can see something dropping into the ocean right before the credits.

Yeah, but I was exceptionally let down with what happened to Beth and Rob (well, I mean it's just assumed...) and the whole of the city.

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Don't watch Lost, so I'm not sure about that, but to me it seemed like a rip off of Blair Witch, except that this one took place in a big city
    The only similarities are the filiming style, the movies themselves are nothing similar.
    I liked Cloverfield and didn't care for BW at all.
  • Lukin66 wrote:

LOL exactly...after all the premise of the move IS a 500ft. monster attacking New York! I liked it a lot more at the theatre. The sound and big screen really adds to it.
    And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky...A human being that was giveeeeeeeeeeeeen to flllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Kinda, I guess...with the camera. But this was MUCH better than BW, I thought.

EvilMerlin wrote:
    A more realistic take on a well...not so realistic idea.

Except that there is no cell reception in the subway.

Yeah, but I was exceptionally let down with what happened to Beth and Rob (well, I mean it's just assumed...) and the whole of the city.

Yeah I understand that. I guess I was expecting it because I listened to a JJ Abrams interview before I watched it and he came right out from the beginning saying it didn't have a feel good happy ending, and that he didn't want one. And then went on to forsee that people would probably be upset if it was just another happy ending like that. But that he'd probably get bashed for his ending as well anyway, so he felt he was in a no win situation so went for the realistic factor.
    Rygar wrote:
    The only similarities are the filiming style, the movies themselves are nothing similar.
    I liked Cloverfield and didn't care for BW at all.
    The filiming style was what I was referring to. Of course those two movies are not similar in content. To me it seemed that somebody watched BW and liked that style, then wrote a bad story to fit that style.
    Actually the movie takes place in 2009 at which time there supposedly will be cell reception in the subway...
    EvilMerlin wrote:
    Yeah I understand that. I guess I was expecting it because I listened to a JJ Abrams interview before I watched it and he came right out from the beginning saying it didn't have a feel good happy ending, and that he didn't want one. And then went on to forsee that people would probably be upset if it was just another happy ending like that. But that he'd probably get bashed for his ending as well anyway, so he felt he was in a no win situation so went for the realistic factor.

I didn't necessarily want a "happy" ending...happy endings are so cliche...I just wanted SOME ending...not just .........you know.......

Well come on now, I mean it's still a Hollywood movie, they're never going to get everything right. :p
    Rygar wrote:
    Actually the movie takes place in 2009 at which time there supposedly will be cell reception in the subway...

Seriously?? 09? Where was that?? I missed it.

The filiming style was what I was referring to. Of course those two movies are not similar in content. To me it seemed that somebody watched BW and liked that style, then wrote a bad story to fit that style.
    To each their own I suppose, I liked it :)

Somebody = JJ Abrams. And, that's certainly possible...camera-wise... However, as I said, I liked this storyline and action sequences a whole lot more.

• BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I dug it because it was exactly what I expected: Blair Witch with a large budget. It entertained me for an hour and a half...that's all I expected it to do at best.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    This is true. You could definitely tell it was JJ Abrams...it seemed to have the "LOST" feel to it.
    I'll second this....I half-expect the monster to show up on the Island now. The movie had a couple jumpers in it, especially with the mini-monsters and the scene in the infirmary.
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
    BinFrog wrote:
    I dug it because it was exactly what I expected: Blair Witch with a large budget. It entertained me for an hour and a half...that's all I expected it to do at best.

Entertaining it definitely was.

ALso, did anyone happened to check out the making-of extras on the dvd?? Good stuff!

Lukin66 wrote:
    I'll second this....I half-expect the monster to show up on the Island now. The movie had a couple jumpers in it, especially with the mini-monsters and the scene in the infirmary.

NO JOKE!! In fact, the Sea Monster sounds were VERY similar to the Smokey sounds. rat-a-tat-tat-tat RAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

The movie was said to take place in May of 08. But then in the movie I think it was Hud that says it's Saturday, May 23, which of course everyone online looked into and that doesn't take place til 2009. So now it's just up to whoever to decide. There's no clear date set.
    I don't think it says it in the movie. May 22nd was on a Saturday in the movie and the next time that happens is 2009. Merlin beat me to it.
    Another thing...those girls were running around in HEELS! HEELS!!!!! If it was me (well, I would've been in flip flops in the first place), the first thing I would do is bust into a shoe store and grab a pair of converse or something.

Another thing...those girls were running around in HEELS! HEELS!!!!! If it was me (well, I would've been in flip flops in the first place), the first thing I would do is bust into a shoe store and grab a pair of converse or something.
    On top of that one of them was jogging around after being impaled by rebar for a few hours. ;)
  • TiaMijaTiaMija Posts: 597
    I think that's where the inspiration came from. Then, J.J. Abrams mixed it with a Godzilla movie.
    After Lost and Cloverfield, I am worried about the monster that he'll probably put in the new Star Trek!