Anybody have that one friend that is kinda stuck in the high school/college days?

Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
edited November 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I've got a close friend, one whom I wouldn't want to lose for anything, and I feel like his life is just stuck in the past.....or maybe I'm just getting old...you be the judge. We're both 27. But after high school, we both went to college....he kinda skipped a semester here and there...until kinda quitting and started working a couple of joe-jobs. Whereas I went straight through, got my degree and began my career. We partied all through high school and college....clubbed it up...had our share of ladies.....you know how college is. After graduating, I got married 3 years later...got a house...career really took off....you know the usual growing up stuff.....now I'm partying less, settling down...and I like it. However, my buddy is trying to get back into school and get something going....he still partying like he's 21, chasing women, clubbing every weekend.......and that's fine, but he doesn't get that I've changed in the past few years. He asked if he could bring a few people by the Wednesday before thanksgiving, and I said sure...because I was just sitting around watching basketball with my wife, enjoying a quiet evening at home with a bourbon and coke.......so he shows up with like 10 other people (they were going out to a bar, but used my house as the meeting place)...they started doing shots, and getting loose....I played it cool, but I was kinda pissed, as was wifey.........I don't really know where I'm going with this....how do you deal with a good friend when they're doing stuff like this? Is it him? Is it me? maybe both? I just think my priorities have changed, and he's really not respecting them anymore. What to do, what to do?
"It's all happening"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I had a friend like that....we eventually grew apart. I heard he just left his parents house a few months ago (at 33!!!)
    It got painful to try and talk to him because my problems were related to marriage/divorce, kids, mortgage, etc...his were related to his parents, video games, etc. We had a falling out and tho I miss him as a friend, I was sick enough of his lack of motivation in life to not be all that upset over it. He actually told me at one point that he was content....he had a shite job that he wouldn't stop complaining about, and lived in his parents basement... I told him to get off his ass and do something with his life, and he replied that he was content. THat was pretty much my final straw with him...the falling out was kinda secondary from my perspective.
  • hahaha I might be that friend because I think 27 is too young to be married and own a house!

why didn't you have some drinks with this guy and go out with him and his other friends? I think the key is that while you don't feel like partying every night anymore, on weekends and stuff you can still hang out, can't you?

what are these "priorities" you are talking about? It seems like you were sitting at home being boring and he showed up and spiced things up a bit! You're 27! you have like 70 years to sit at home alone with your wife ahead of you. :)

In terms of his career and stuff, just be supportive that he's decided to go back to college. that's a big deal and tough thing to do. I give him props for that.
  • hahaha I might be that friend because I think 27 is too young to be married and own a house!

why didn't you have some drinks with this guy and go out with him and his other friends? I think the key is that while you don't feel like partying every night anymore, on weekends and stuff you can still hang out, can't you?

we do still go out. I'm more about staying home and drinking out of my own (cheaper) bottle...than paying 9 bucks for a beer.
    "It's all happening"
  • we do still go out. I'm more about staying home and drinking out of my own (cheaper) bottle...than paying 9 bucks for a beer.

but isn't the "going out" and the socializing the more important point of getting a drink than the actual drinking? If I go out for a drink, it's not because I want a drink- I have booze in my apartment- it's to see my friends and get out and be around people. I don't get hammered like in college or stay out til 3 AM, but even though you have a house and a wife, you can't shut yourself off from socializing.
  • This is how you know you're getting old and in denial. Before long you'll be complaining about the other "young" minded kids just like your parents did...lol
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • This is how you know you're getting old and in denial. Before long you'll be complaining about the other "young" minded kids just like your parents did...lol

I don't deny I'm getting older....cause I already think like that.
    "It's all happening"
  • but isn't the "going out" and the socializing the more important point of getting a drink than the actual drinking? If I go out for a drink, it's not because I want a drink- I have booze in my apartment- it's to see my friends and get out and be around people. I don't get hammered like in college or stay out til 3 AM, but even though you have a house and a wife, you can't shut yourself off from socializing.

well, going out to me always meant with the intentions of "hooking up".....so without that need anymore...I don't see the need to go to a bar scene.
    "It's all happening"
  • well, going out to me always meant with the intentions of "hooking up".....so without that need anymore...I don't see the need to go to a bar scene.

well that's where you've got to change your perspective. that's not what going out is about. it's seeing your friends, getting out of the house, enjoying the people around you.

I'm single, and pretty much always have been, but I've never thought of going out as only a hooking up thing.
  • well that's where you've got to change your perspective. that's not what going out is about. it's seeing your friends, getting out of the house, enjoying the people around you.

I'm single, and pretty much always have been, but I've never thought of going out as only a hooking up thing.

I can speak from a male point of view and say thats the only reason I would ever go run up at 80 dollar bar tab.

I am only 22 and I have a friend like that. Actually two of them. We are still really young but I am the first one to graduate and get a job, while both of them are living in their parents basement smoking weed and drinking all of the time, not going to school.

I am not going to go into too much detail because its a situation you would have to see to understand, but Indian Summer I definitely know what you mean.
  • I'm single, and pretty much always have been, but I've never thought of going out as only a hooking up thing.

Either you're lying, or seriously mixed up.
    "It's all happening"
  • Yeah, who says going out is only for hooking up? Sure, there's always nights when going out is about hitting on chicks, but there's other time where an old friend comes into town and you just go out and get fucked up for fun. Just like old times.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    You sound old and boring.. seriously, who says you have to change your habits when you get older? You're ONLY 27... post this again when you're 40 dude.
    I have a great aunt who lived her life up until her late 80s. Nothing wrong with enjoying life. If reading the paper, shopping at Home Depot and mowing the grass is your idea of living life then thats how you should live it I guess.
  • You sound old and boring.. seriously, who says you have to change your habits when you get older? You're ONLY 27... post this again when you're 40 dude.

You don't have to change your habits........it just happens. I'd much rather stay home and watch a basketball game than go to a bar now. And as for the old and boring comment...I like that.
    "It's all happening"
  • Either you're lying, or seriously mixed up.

Um, neither. You're telling me that you NEVER grab drinks after work, or hang at a local pub on the weekends with your friends, just to hang out?

Besides, why would anyone want to stay in the house when the option is there to leave it?
    Either you're lying, or seriously mixed up.
    So you never enjoy guys night out? Do you not have any guy friends? You can't leave your house without having the urge to "hook up".. Maybe you should consider getting spade, because the opposite sex seems to have you by your balls..
  • Um, neither. You're telling me that you NEVER grab drinks after work, or hang at a local pub on the weekends with your friends, just to hang out?

Besides, why would anyone want to stay in the house when the option is there to leave it?

a) I don't hang out with co-workers.

b) "just hanging out" is exactly what the house is for.....backyard bbq's...a keg....my kind of music playing.
    "It's all happening"
  • I don't deny I'm getting older....cause I already think like that.

my condolences...getting old sucks! :p
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • I can speak from a male point of view and say thats the only reason I would ever go run up at 80 dollar bar tab.

well, there's no reason to run up an $80! bar tab! I think I've only ever done that on st. paddy's (also really the only time I've ever hooked up with people from the bar, probably as a result of the $80 worth of alcohol).

my point is, you can "go out" as an adult. You don't have to get hammered or hook up or spend $80.
  • b) "just hanging out" is exactly what the house is for.....backyard bbq's...a keg....my kind of music playing.

that's a totally suburban mentality- the eradication of the third space. exactly what's wrong with america. people isolate themselves in their little McMasions that you can only get to by car, only socialize with people they already know well, never experience community. The make their own "parks" in the back yard, drink in the house, watch big screen TVs instead of going to movies and shows.
    You don't have to change your habits........it just happens. I'd much rather stay home and watch a basketball game than go to a bar now. And as for the old and boring comment...I like that.
    I'm not trying to be an ass. There's nothing wrong with what you are doing. There is something wrong with how you are judging your friend. I go to the pubs with buddies all the time with no intention of hooking up. In fact I've never hooked up with a girl from the bar. I go to the bar to socialize with friends, watch the game, kereokee, its an event. I go atleast twice a week. I usually meet women through friends, school, work.. not bars.
  • So you never enjoy guys night out? You can't leave your house without having the urge to "hook up".. Maybe you should consider getting spade, because the opposite sex seems to have you by your balls..

honestly I'd rather hang out with my wife than the guys...she's truly my best friend. I went on a guys trip to Las Vegas a couple of years ago, and while the trip was okay (somewhat boring at times), I kept thinking it would have been 100 times better if wifey was with me.

my condolences...getting old sucks! :p

I kinda like getting older....I get to do more.
    "It's all happening"
  • that's a totally suburban mentality- the eradication of the third space. exactly what's wrong with america. people isolate themselves in their little McMasions that you can only get to by car, only socialize with people they already know well, never experience community. The make their own "parks" in the back yard, drink in the house, watch big screen TVs instead of going to movies and shows.

how is that "what's wrong with America"........isn't it a matter of preference?
    "It's all happening"
  • I'm not trying to be an ass. There's nothing wrong with what you are doing. There is something wrong with how you are judging your friend. I go to the pubs with buddies all the time with no intention of hooking up. In fact I've never hooked up with a girl from the bar. I go to the bar to socialize with friends, watch the game, kereokee, its an event. I go atleast twice a week. I usually meet women through friends, school, work.. not bars.

I have no problem with him still doing that stuff....but I've grown tired of it, and I don't think he understands that.
    "It's all happening"
    I don't think he understands that.
    I hear you.. maybe he needs to stop asking you and find new friends. I have a few friends like you who "settled down". In fact a best friend from high school went so far as to drop all his guy friends to only hang out with his now wife and her friends.. I've never been a crazy partier myself, but I have to get out of the house atleast twice a week. I wouldn't consider that being "stuck" in my high school/college days..
  • how is that "what's wrong with America"........isn't it a matter of preference?

well it causes a lot of problems that people don't even realize. It's inefficient, it's bad for the environment, and it contributes to antisocial behavior and obesity. See for example 'Suburban Nation' by Andres Duany, Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk, and Jeff Speck. I took an entire class that was basically on the importance of developing away from the isolated, autocentric, suburban sprawl model.
  • That one friend ??? I have many that still think they're 21 and want to party all the time

Sadly 2 of them have kids and still want to live like they're single and have no commitments at home

I see nothing wrong going out once in awhile with your buddy, but he has to understand you're at a different point in your life

He should not expect you to be the same as him at this point and if he can't understand, then fuck him
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    well it causes a lot of problems that people don't even realize. It's inefficient, it's bad for the environment, and it contributes to antisocial behavior and obesity. See for example 'Suburban Nation' by Andres Duany, Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk, and Jeff Speck. I took an entire class that was basically on the importance of developing away from the isolated, autocentric, suburban sprawl model.
    I'm guessing Indian Summer doesn't live in the city. So much to do. Half the people at bars are middle aged wealthy married couples enjoying the night life together. Getting a taste of culture... I went to a Howl at the moon event a few months back in downtown Chicago and danced with 80 year old widows having the tim e of their lives..
  • I hear you.. maybe he needs to stop asking you and find new friends. I have a few friends like you who "settled down". In fact a best friend from high school went so far as to drop all his guy friends to only hang out with his now wife and her friends.. I've never been a crazy partier myself, but I have to get out of the house at least twice a week. I wouldn't consider that being "stuck" in my high school/college days..

he's partying "outside of his means" as well....which really bothers me. He doesn't have the cash to be going out 2 and 3 times a week, but he does....then he always comes up short on his bills at the end of the month....and his dad, and stepdad always bail him out. I just don't think he's being responsible anymore.
    "It's all happening"
  • I'm guessing Indian Summer doesn't live in the city. So much to do. Half the people at bars are middle aged wealthy married couples enjoying the night life together. Getting a taste of culture... I went to a Howl at the moon event a few months back in downtown Chicago and danced with 80 year old widows having the tim e of their lives..

You're exactly right, we live practically out in the countryside....on the outskirts of a small town. But my wife and I do still go out a couple of times a month....usually to Louisville for some live music.

I've been to that Howl at the Moon in Chi-town...its a blast.
    "It's all happening"
    he's partying "outside of his means" as well....which really bothers me. He doesn't have the cash to be going out 2 and 3 times a week, but he does....then he always comes up short on his bills at the end of the month....and his dad, and stepdad always bail him out. I just don't think he's being responsible anymore.
    ok, that is a problem. If I don't have the cash, I stay at home.