Options

The movie post

Comments

• Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    JDE-PJ wrote:
    you would like science of sleep, it's right up your alley.

so if you're drunk in a film, it allows for the other character to be an uninteresting bore, and yet still make that connection that he is just swell, okay I marked that down in my movie writing notebook for acceptable behaviour between two leads.:p

who knows when I see it again, I might think it's the greatest love story ever on film, but I think I might just like some others a wee bit more, just maybe;)
    yeah i'll have to watch that one sometime. i heard there was a bit of a disconnect in the storyline, did you find that to be the case?

the drunk theory is just that, purely theory. i know for me no amount of booze could make me put up with someone boring :p haha

and hey different strokes and all that, no law that says you gotta like it! :)
  • Options
    Favourite actress: Juliette Lewis
    Actor:Owen Wilson.
    Movies: American Beauty,
    National Lampoon's Christmas/Summer Vacation,
    Sean Of The Dead,
    Heathers,
    Natural Born killers,
    The Good Girl,
    Me, Myself And Irene,
    Spinal Tap,
    High Fidelity
  • Options
    no one under any circumstances should ever at any time.... no matter how brave you feel.... should ever watch the french film Irreversible.

that film is the scariest, goriest and grittiest film i've ever seen. i've never seen a film so originally shocking as that one.

on a lighter note.... my favorite actors would probably have to be Christopher Walken and Robert Deniro.... and until Johnny Depp makes an actual real good classic movie than he'll probably be on that list too. the only ones that came close was Dead Man and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.... even Benicion Del Toro was awesome in that one. speaking of which, he too is one of my favorite actors.

i hear he's making a film playing Che Guevara.... not sure how true it is... but i also here Sodenbergh.... or however you spell it... (you know, the director of Ocean's Eleven) is directing it.

female actors.... Ellen Byrsten (did you see Requiem for a Dream????) that performance stands on par with Deniro's Taxi Driver.... Tom Hank's Forrest Gump.... or any other great honorable mentions... to bad it wasn't what hollywood expected.... that automatically blew the Academy out the window.

ughhh.... i could go on about films.

did i ever mention i wanna be a filmmaker?
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • Options
    JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
    yeah i'll have to watch that one sometime. i heard there was a bit of a disconnect in the storyline, did you find that to be the case?

the drunk theory is just that, purely theory. i know for me no amount of booze could make me put up with someone boring :p haha

and hey different strokes and all that, no law that says you gotta like it! :)

um disconnect, maybe, not really, it's not an oscar winning film or anything, but I enjoyed the actors and the look, and it was different, so that's always good.

phew, I thought I was looking at the 666 law of eternal damnation of not loving eternal law.
    I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    JDE-PJ wrote:
    um disconnect, maybe, not really, it's not an oscar winning film or anything, but I enjoyed the actors and the look, and it was different, so that's always good.

phew, I thought I was looking at the 666 law of eternal damnation of not loving eternal law.
    ah okay, well i'll look forward to seeing it then, if anything it looks like quite a visual ride

and no, no damnation....i'll let this slide, just this once :D haha
  • Options
    no one under any circumstances should ever at any time.... no matter how brave you feel.... should ever watch the french film Irreversible.

that film is the scariest, goriest and grittiest film i've ever seen. i've never seen a film so originally shocking as that one.

on a lighter note.... my favorite actors would probably have to be Christopher Walken and Robert Deniro.... and until Johnny Depp makes an actual real good classic movie than he'll probably be on that list too. the only ones that came close was Dead Man and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.... even Benicion Del Toro was awesome in that one. speaking of which, he too is one of my favorite actors.

i hear he's making a film playing Che Guevara.... not sure how true it is... but i also here Sodenbergh.... or however you spell it... (you know, the director of Ocean's Eleven) is directing it.

female actors.... Ellen Byrsten (did you see Requiem for a Dream????) that performance stands on par with Deniro's Taxi Driver.... Tom Hank's Forrest Gump.... or any other great honorable mentions... to bad it wasn't what hollywood expected.... that automatically blew the Academy out the window.

ughhh.... i could go on about films.

did i ever mention i wanna be a filmmaker?

go on with films, nothing wrong with sharing your passion.

good look with your dream of being a filmmaker by the way.

I have to say though, I want to see Irreversible, yeah I am a bit twisted, but I really like the two married actors in it, and a little shocking film never has hurt me.

Requiem is quite an out there movie, and yeah Ellen Bursten is a great actress.

Jason
  • Options
    just saw 'breaking and entering'
    hmmm, i'm conflicted.
    some of my very favorite actors...
    generally good story but it seemed all the ends were too neatly tied up at the end.
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Options
    just saw 'breaking and entering'
    hmmm, i'm conflicted.
    some of my very favorite actors...
    generally good story but it seemed all the ends were too neatly tied up at the end.

I remember seeing one of those movie shows talking about this film, they said pretty much what you did, good cast, decent story, the ending was to neat.

I will watch this one on cable at some point.

Jason
  • Options
    DOWN BY LAW

has anyone else here seen this?

it's sooooo good. it's an english roberto benigni film (black and white) and it's one of the best filsm i've ever seen.
  • Options
    CaterinaACaterinaA Posts: 572
    JDE-PJ wrote:
    Best films you have ever seen

This is hard, but OK: On the Waterfront, Godfather II, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Before Sunrise, Pulp Fiction, Scarface, The Deer Hunter, Goodfellas, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Kill Bill II, The Royal Tennenbaums, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Keane, Wild at Heart, Malcolm X, 25th Hour, In the Name of the Father
    JDE-PJ wrote:
    Foreign (non US) films you have enjoyed

L'ultimo bacio, Il Sorpasso, I Soliti Ignoti, The Life of the Others (Germany), Farewell my Concubine (China), Against the Wall (Germany), I Vitelloni, The Commitments
    JDE-PJ wrote:
    Favorite actors, male and female, now or all time

Male: Marlon Brando (best ever for me), Al Pacino (pre- Scent of a Woman era), Johnny Depp, Ethan Hawke, Heath Ledger, Sean Penn, Vittorio Gassman, Ed Norton, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Daniel Day Lewis, Ewan McGregor

Female: Vivien Leigh (all time fav), Meryl Steep, Chloe Sevigne, Julie Delpy, Uma Thurman, Kate Winslet, Toni Colette, Laura Dern, Emma Thompson
    JDE-PJ wrote:
    What genres you really like, those you won't watch, those you can't watch, and the films you enjoy in each one.

I like all genres except Terror, Gore and Experimental cinema (hate it! Guy Madden should not be allowed to make more movies)

My favorite comedies/romantic comedies would be: Rushmore, About a Boy, Four Weddings and a Funeral, The Life Aquatic, High Fidelity, Singles, A Life Less Ordinary and then I like stupid comedies like Airplane I & II and Top Secret.

My favorite adventures/action/suspense/ Sci-Fi movies are: Indiana Jones, Bourne Trilogy, Die Hard II, Seven, Silence of the Lambs, Usual Suspects, Touch of Evil, Shallow Grave, Heat, Star Wars I-III&VI, Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Alien I&II, Terminator II.
    JDE-PJ wrote:
    Favorite popcorn movies, meaning you love them even if they are not exactly a piece of classic cinema. Example for me, Youngblood.

Pretty Woman, Pretty in Pink, Almost Famous, 50 First Dates, She's Having a Baby, Steel Magnolias
  • Options
    I watched a new old foreign film for the first time in a while last night on TCM,
    Lacombe Lucien and I really enjoyed it.

Louis Malle directed it, he also did Au revoir, les enfants, I would say that is a little bit of a better film, but both are very well made and worth watching.

Jason
  • Options
    Another French film, I saw this one on the Sundance Channel, it's a film from 2004 called Clara Et Moi.

Not a long movie, great chemistry between the two actors, a film that you might think about after watching it.

Good one.

Jason
  • Options
    SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    Dont know if this has beep posted or not:

Seven Samurai - Akira Kurosawa

Its a Japanese film from the 50s. Back & white, with english subtitles. Definitly one of my favorite movies!
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • Options
    Snake wrote:
    Dont know if this has beep posted or not:

Seven Samurai - Akira Kurosawa

Its a Japanese film from the 50s. Back & white, with english subtitles. Definitly one of my favorite movies!

Mentioning a Kurosawa film, especially this one can never be done enough, it's one of the great films of all time.

Jason
  • Options
    CorsoCorso so poor I can't afford to comment on the PJ forum Posts: 201
    Delicatessen
    French

Seven Samurai - awesome film
    Toshiro Mifune - great actor
  • Options
    hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    They are all foreign movies for me so i'll just name my 5 favs in no special order

- Pulp Fiction
    - Airbag (spanish movie)
    - Snatch
    - El Dia de la Bestia (Day of the Beast - spanish movie, black humor)
    - Natural Born Killers
  • Options
    Some great films on TCM tonight for anyone who is interested in the best of the cinema. Starting off at 8pm with The Awful Truth, then The Philadelphia Story, followed by Casablanca, with the night ending with some Hitchcock, and North By Northwest.

Jason
  • Options
    JDE-PJ wrote:
    Some great films on TCM tonight for anyone who is interested in the best of the cinema. Starting off at 8pm with The Awful Truth, then The Philadelphia Story, followed by Casablanca, with the night ending with some Hitchcock, and North By Northwest.
    can't ever go wrong with hitchcock :)

i saw 'the prestige' last nite, didn't do anything for me, dunno why.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i had quite the dilemma saturday night. my two favouritest movie EVER!! were playing against each other on tv. wizard of oz and star wars. i couldnt choose between them so i spent hours going between the living room and the dining room watching both. wizard of oz finished first so i at least got to see the destruction of the death star in relax mode. it was quite interesting to see the melting of the witch alongside the 'death' of obi-wan. heck i even got to do the tinwoodman's dance. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    Most Underrated movie ever: Alien 3

i totally agree. such a great action flick that often gets tagged as the 'bad one' of the original three. david fincher got no respect for this film.
  • Options
    can't ever go wrong with hitchcock :)

i saw 'the prestige' last nite, didn't do anything for me, dunno why.

I have not seen the prestige, nor that other magic one that came out the same time, one of these days I might check them out.

I watched most of The Philadelphia Story, it's one of those films, I just have to watch if it is on, it's just that fucking good.

The drunk scene with Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant in his home, followed by Jimmy and Kate at the pool, that's as good as film gets.

Jason
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    lost in translation.

AWESOME!
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Best films you have ever seen ---My top 5 are: Pulp Fiction, Leon: The Professional, Forrest Gump, Being John Malkovich, The Good The Bad and The Ugly.

The foreign films you have enjoyed --- The Hidden Fortress, Bright Future, Shark Skinman and Peach Hip Girl [JPN], 6ixty9ine [Thai], Bend It Like Beckham [UK],

Favorite actors, male and female, now or all time --- Males: Clint Eastwood, Bruce Willis, Denzel Washington, Samuel L. Jackson, Tadanobu Asano (Japanese actor). Females: Regina King, Uma Thurman, Natalie Portman, Talia Shire.

What genres you really like, those you won't watch, those you can't watch, and the films you enjoy in each one. ---- Gangster/Crime, Indie films, and foreign films. I like some adventure films, but they have to be almost perfect; i.e. Forrest Gump, Stand By Me, 300.

Favorite popcorn movies, meaning you love them even if they are not exactly a piece of classic cinema. Example for me, Youngblood. ---- Not sure what you mean by this but I love old blaxploitation films. They are my guilty pleasure.

My favorite guilty pleasure film of all time is City Dragon. It's so terrible that's it is great. Kung Fu + Rap + Cheesy Plot = Comedy. 80% of the dialogue is spkoen through rap rhymes. LOL.

Anything goes, no predetermined top ten or 5 lists, just whatever you like. ---- oops my bad!
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Corso wrote:
    Delicatessen
    French

Seven Samurai - awesome film
    Toshiro Mifune - great actor

Mifune/Kurosawa best actor/director combo ever?
    i might say so myself.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    JDE-PJ wrote:
    I have not seen the prestige, nor that other magic one that came out the same time, one of these days I might check them out.

I watched most of The Philadelphia Story, it's one of those films, I just have to watch if it is on, it's just that fucking good.

The drunk scene with Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant in his home, followed by Jimmy and Kate at the pool, that's as good as film gets.
    dont' slap me, i haven't seen philadelphia story yet :o lol

the illusionist was the other magic movie that had come out, with edward norton. it looked beautiful but was way too predictable. while the prestige wasn't as predictable, i just didn't feel like i cared much about the protagonists. just left me blah
  • Options
    dont' slap me, i haven't seen philadelphia story yet :o lol

wha wha what????

okay for a film fan as I know you are, that's just plain wrong.

you're not kidding are you?

really, never?

I am shocked and speechless.

shakes head as I leave this post.

Jason
  • Options
    JDE-PJ wrote:
    wha wha what????

okay for a film fan as I know you are, that's just plain wrong.

you're not kidding are you?

really, never?

I am shocked and speechless.

shakes head as I leave this post.
    :( you make it sound like i drop-kicked a kitten lol

i know though, it's pretty shameful. i'll have to rent it!
  • Options
    I watched two movies in the last week, Knocked Up and Superbad.

Knocked up, I was disappointed in, it was okay, but just did not work for me in some ways.

Superbad I enjoyed, it had more heart to me than Knocked Up did.

Jason
  • Options
    I watched Away From Her this week, a good film with some great acting by Julie Christie and others.

She is probably the favorite to win an Oscar with her performance in this one.

Jason
  • Options
    Once and Juno.

Both excellent films, Once is not a great piece of movie making, but it is a great movie.

Juno is very well done, with standout acting by the two young leads.

In any other year I think Ellen Paige wins the Oscar for her performance, but I think Julie Christie will get it instead for Away From Her.

Jason