Options

The movie post

Comments

• Options
    Favorite Comedies: The Big Lebowski, History of the World pt 1, Monty Python & the Holy Grail,
    Favorite Action movies: Indiana Jones movies, Lawrence of Arabia, Gettysburg
    Favorite Thriller: Seven
    Favorite Drama's: Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, The Great Escape, Pappilion, Life as a House, Casablance, Chaplin, The Sting,
    Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy: Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Star Wars Movies, Alien/Aliens
    Favorite Comic-Book movies: batman begins, the blade movies, the Xmen movies
    Favorite foreign film's: Hero (China), Amelie (France), Seven Samurai (Japan), the devil's backbone (Spain)
    Favorite Animated movies: The Incredibles
    Guilty Pleasure: James Bond flicks, Spaghetti Westerns, Mel Brooks movies
    Favorite Actor: Paul Newman, Steve McQueen, Bill Murray, Robert Downey Jr, and George Clooney
    Favorite Actresses: Jennifer Connelly, Diane Lane (Cherry forever),
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
    A western and a few Jimmy Stewart films

First off my favorite western Red River, not directed by John Ford as so many of the best westerns were, this was done by Howard Hawkes and really gives John Wayne a chance to show his skills as an actor. He plays for the first time a much older character, and shows many layers of emotion, not often seen.

Montgomery Clift is great in this film, playing the dukes surrogate son, and as always anytime he is in a film, Walter Brennan steals the show.

It's from 1948, if you want to see a western done right, this is one of those to watch.

Two movies from Jimmy now, the first one is from 1939, Destry Rides Again.

One of his best early films before he went to war, it is part western, part comedy and part drama. He stars with Marlene Dietrich in this one, and there are some classic scenes in this one that movies over the years have aped, including a barroom brawl with Marlene and Jimmy that will leave you smiling watching Mr Stewart act.

The last film is Rear Window, it co stars one of the most beautiful women that have ever graced the screen in Grace Kelly. When watching this film, it will give you an idea of how good cinema can be when you put all the ingredients of a movie together. Alfred Hitchcock is the director, and no one before or since can build up the suspense like him, this film is just about perfect, so if you have not seen it, you're missing out.
    I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
  • Options
    lgtlgt Posts: 720
    JDE-PJ wrote:
    Yes it is, it's a long filme just under 3 hours, but if you are a person who like movies, I find it hard to believe anyone would not enjoy it.

If you have it already, the worse that happens is you wasted your money, or you see one of the best films ever made in my opinion.

OK, good to hear it from you as well, and not just from a book, that it is a great film. I'll watch it and let you know!

And yes, I LOVE movies! :)
  • Options
    Ok, in terms of movie preferences - too many to mention!

Off the top of my mind now, Love Eternal Sunshine, Big Lebowski, really enjoyed Knocked Up..

As for actors -
    British: Clive Owen and Christian Bale
    American: blank right now!
    French: Vincent Cassel
    Italian: Fabrizio Bentivoglio
    German: the guy...

That's a really good movie, The Live of Others. It won the Best Foreign Film this year, and it is really good. It's about the Stasi and the spying that went on in the DDR before Germany's reunification. The actor unfortunately passed away a month ago.. :(

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405094/

Other foreign movie recommendation: The Consequences of Love, an Italian movie about - contrary to what you may expect - mafia moneylaudering and the consequences for the protagonist. I do not want to spoil the ending but it will be stuck on your mind!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0398883/
  • Options
    lgt wrote:
    French: Vincent Cassel

He is a really good actor, plus he is married to Monica Bellucci, so just for that how can any guy not respect him.

Read My Lips is a great little movie.

Jason
  • Options
    JDE-PJ wrote:
    He is a really good actor, plus he is married to Monica Bellucci, so just for that how can any guy not respect him.

Read My Lips is a great little movie.

Yes! great little movie indeed!

Have you seen La Haine? Hatred in English - it's basically the European Reservoir Dogs, to put it bluntly.

Oh and talking of them as a couple, The Brotherhood of Wolves it's a really good film, historical action/thriller movie.

Or more recently, the one that caused a furore because of the rape scene...
    Irreversible. Haven't seen it though.

Ok, enough of Euro movies!

For now at least! ;)
  • Options
    lgt wrote:
    Yes! great little movie indeed!

Have you seen La Haine? Hatred in English - it's basically the European Reservoir Dogs, to put it bluntly.

Oh and talking of them as a couple, The Brotherhood of Wolves it's a really good film, historical action/thriller movie.

Or more recently, the one that caused a furore because of the rape scene...
    Irreversible. Haven't seen it though.

Ok, enough of Euro movies!

For now at least! ;)

Yeah I know of all 3 films, but I have not seen any of them yet.

Jason
  • Options
    JDE-PJ wrote:
    The last film is Rear Window, it co stars one of the most beautiful women that have ever graced the screen in Grace Kelly. When watching this film, it will give you an idea of how good cinema can be when you put all the ingredients of a movie together. Alfred Hitchcock is the director, and no one before or since can build up the suspense like him, this film is just about perfect, so if you have not seen it, you're missing out.
    the scene when she comes into the room in her dressing gown.....wow! her beauty glows so brightly

and yes that is probably *the* best suspense movie ever.
  • Options
    the scene when she comes into the room in her dressing gown.....wow! her beauty glows so brightly

and yes that is probably *the* best suspense movie ever.

Grace Kelly sure knew how to wear a dress, that's no lie.

Tonight I saw a few minutes of The Wedding Singer, specifically the scene with Jon Lovitz, it's one of those scenes like the bathroom scene in There's Something About Mary, that makes me laugh every time I see it.

Adam Sandler singing that song, and the look on Drew's face and then Lovits behind the curtain, it's just money.

Jason
  • Options
    JDE-PJ wrote:
    Grace Kelly sure knew how to wear a dress, that's no lie.

Tonight I saw a few minutes of The Wedding Singer, specifically the scene with Jon Lovitz, it's one of those scenes like the bathroom scene in There's Something About Mary, that makes me laugh every time I see it.

Adam Sandler singing that song, and the look on Drew's face and then Lovits behind the curtain, it's just money.
    she has serious class. very few actresses have that sort of poise. cate blanchette does in her own unique way i think. i wanna see that new elizabeth movie coming out

wedding singer is a sweet movie, i love that scene lol
  • Options
    she has serious class. very few actresses have that sort of poise. cate blanchette does in her own unique way i think. i wanna see that new elizabeth movie coming out

uhuh cate is about as solid any actress out there, she's the goods.

and yeah the new movie should not suck, having the same writer, director, actors, and then adding in Samantha Morton as Mary Stuart and Clive Owen as Sir Walter Raliegh, they would really have to screw this one up royally, for this not to be a great film.

Jason
  • Options
    JDE-PJ wrote:
    uhuh cate is about as solid any actress out there, she's the goods.

and yeah the new movie should not suck, having the same writer, director, actors, and then adding in Samantha Morton as Mary Stuart and Clive Owen as Sir Walter Raliegh, they would really have to screw this one up royally, for this not to be a great film.
    why did they wait so long since the original, do you know?
  • Options
    AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Bloodsport- Popcorn movie and the decent movie Van Damme ever made
    Tomestone-Val as Doc is the acting performance that sticks in my mind
    The Power of One and In the Name of the Father- Best dramas ever
    Star Wars- Nough said
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • Options
    why did they wait so long since the original, do you know?

just guessing, I am to lazy to look it up, but I would guess the writer had to write it first, and so it took this long. Maybe they were waiting for Cate to get a little older too, don't know, first guess is my best assumption though.

Jason
  • Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    JDE-PJ wrote:
    Best films you have ever seen
    they're not the 'best' but my faves are the Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink and 16 Candles and Singles
    Also I really liked the 1st two Matrix movies. The last one, the special effects are amazing but I didn't like what happened to Trinity :(

The foreign films you have enjoyed-All About My Mother

Favorite actors, male and female, now or all time-used to be Brad Pitt, now, Matt Damon
    female-Winona Ryder, Jennifer Aniston

What genres you really like, those you won't watch, those you can't watch, and the films you enjoy in each one.

- comedies, dramas, won't watch scary movies

Favorite popcorn movies, meaning you love them even if they are not exactly a piece of classic cinema. Example for me, Youngblood.
    see above
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    was just reminded of how cool 'crouching tiger hidden dragon' is, as well as house of flying daggers....the colors in both are breathtaking
  • Options
    was just reminded of how cool 'crouching tiger hidden dragon' is, as well as house of flying daggers....the colors in both are breathtaking

Those two plus Hero are all excellent films, Hero and Daggers both being directed by Zhang Yimou, who has done numerous films that are good to very good, even brilliant.

I will have to do a post on his work another time, I shall, I shall.

Jason
  • Options

Saw the trailer for the new Elizabeth movie at the week-end, and it's pretty cool. can't wait to see it! Plus, yes, Clive Owen too *swoon* :D

Although I am concerned as to how they'll portray the whole Elizabeth/Mary Stuart issue, but history is always told from the winners' point of view after all, so no great expectations! :D

I love the Wedding Singer too - cute movie.

Oh and my little niece absolutely adores Grace Kelly (she watches High Society on repeat and she can quote from it!). Imagine her face when I told her she became a princess in real life!!! She adores her even more now! lol :)
  • Options
    lgt wrote:
    Saw the trailer for the new Elizabeth movie at the week-end, and it's pretty cool. can't wait to see it! Plus, yes, Clive Owen too *swoon* :D

Although I am concerned as to how they'll portray the whole Elizabeth/Mary Stuart issue, but history is always told from the winners' point of view after all, so no great expectations! :D

I saw a little blurb over the weekend where Elizabeth was knocked, they said Cate was great, but the film itself was flat, who knows though just one opinion, I hope it's good.

The whole Elizabeth/Mary Stuart issue is showed in Mary, Queen of Scots with Vanessa Redgrave as Mary and Glenda Jackson as Elizabeth. Great film there.

Jason
  • Options
    JDE-PJ wrote:
    I saw a little blurb over the weekend where Elizabeth was knocked, they said Cate was great, but the film itself was flat, who knows though just one opinion, I hope it's good.

The whole Elizabeth/Mary Stuart issue is showed in Mary, Queen of Scots with Vanessa Redgrave as Mary and Glenda Jackson as Elizabeth. Great film there.

Ah ha! Might have to watch that then, and check for historical fallacies on the Elisabethan front! ;)
    Allie wrote:
    The foreign films you have enjoyed-All About My Mother

I really enjoyed Volver of all the Almodovar movies; still to catch up on this one, as I heard good things about it.
  • Options
    butch cassidy and the sundance kid is sheer class!!!
    napoleon dynamite
    anchorman
    wizard of oz
    seven (wish i could get that first time of watching feeling back for the end, oooh the suspense!!)
    ALL the rambo films

Does "Immagine in Cornice" count, i aint seen it yet but im pretty sure its gonna be one of my all time fave films/documentarys already :D
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • Options
    I just saw the film The Science of Sleep a couple of days ago, and even though it's a strange one, I liked it.

In fact I enjoyed it more than Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, that one I had a problem with, or more succinctly, I did not get Jim Carrey's character at all, and so I found no reason to believe Kate Winslet would have any feelings for him.

That director Michel Gondry is certainly an interesting filmmaker, so it will be fun to see his future work.

Jason
  • Options
    JDE-PJ wrote:
    I just saw the film The Science of Sleep a couple of days ago, and even though it's a strange one, I liked it.

In fact I enjoyed it more than Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, that one I had a problem with, or more succinctly, I did not get Jim Carrey's character at all, and so I found no reason to believe Kate Winslet would have any feelings for him.

That director Michel Gondry is certainly an interesting filmmaker, so it will be fun to see his future work.

i LOVE Eternal Sunshine...
    still haven;t seen Science of Sleep.

yesterday I rented L'Iceberg...
    and liked it.

and went to see Into the Wild.
    loved it... ;)
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Options
    i LOVE Eternal Sunshine...
    still haven;t seen Science of Sleep.

yesterday I rented L'Iceberg...
    and liked it.

and went to see Into the Wild.
    loved it... ;)

Hi p-girl, yeah I know everyone loved Eternal, someday I will watch it again and see if I change my mind, but his character really bothered me, maybe I was in a mood the day I saw it, or maybe I am right, and everyone else is wrong;)

I never even heard of that Belgium film, it looks interesting, going to add it to my netflix que.

Into The Wild huh, that Eddie guy sings in that one I heard.

Jason
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    aww jason you didn't like eternal sunshine? man i love that movie. characters aside, what did you think about the cinematography? i thought it was really original the way he did it. i still need to see science of sleep

i saw 2 movies this past week. 'the queen' which was excellent...i loved helen mirren, well-deserving of her oscar. and this documentary 'blind spot' which is an interview with hitler's secretary. was very interesting to hear her perspective, spending those last days in the bunker with him, the guilt she dealt with decades after. i'm a history nerd :o haha
  • Options
    aww jason you didn't like eternal sunshine? man i love that movie. characters aside, what did you think about the cinematography? i thought it was really original the way he did it. i still need to see science of sleep

i saw 2 movies this past week. 'the queen' which was excellent...i loved helen mirren, well-deserving of her oscar. and this documentary 'blind spot' which is an interview with hitler's secretary. was very interesting to hear her perspective, spending those last days in the bunker with him, the guilt she dealt with decades after. i'm a history nerd :o haha

nuh uh b, I did not like it, but I remember I told you once how much I hated Jim Carrey in the role, and how I could not figure out how Kate's character would in any way be interested in such an uninteresting bore.

haha

I will watch it again at some point, because yes that director is interesting and yeah the movie looked really good, I just hated one of the main people in the film, so it's kind of hard to enjoy it too much I think.

It could be I did not like the writing of the character or lack there of, although in the Science of Sleep, I think the writing of one of the main characters is not that strong, yet I really enjoyed their role, so who knows.

Maybe I had a bad day, and if I watched it again I would get why Jim Carrey was not so obnoxious, and was likable, then again I have been told that I am a stubborn son of a gun, so maybe not.

The docu sounds interesting, I still have to watch at some point The Downfall, that's supposed to be a really good film.

I will watch Queen one of these days when it's on cable, Helen Mirren is great in anything, she is also one of the sexiest ladies ever on screen, she oozes it, although I kind of hope that is not the case in this one:o

The Long Good Friday was on last month and I saw some of it, now that is one of the great films of the last 30 years that is not ever talked about, her and Bob Hoskins just fucking own the screen, what a great movie.

Jason
  • Options
    JDE-PJ wrote:
    nuh uh b, I did not like it, but I remember I told you once how much I hated Jim Carrey in the role, and how I could not figure out how Kate's character would in any way be interested in such an uninteresting bore.

haha

I will watch it again at some point, because yes that director is interesting and yeah the movie looked really good, I just hated one of the main people in the film, so it's kind of hard to enjoy it too much I think.

It could be I did not like the writing of the character or lack there of, although in the Science of Sleep, I think the writing of one of the main characters is not that strong, yet I really enjoyed their role, so who knows.

Maybe I had a bad day, and if I watched it again I would get why Jim Carrey was not so obnoxious, and was likable, then again I have been told that I am a stubborn son of a gun, so maybe not.

The docu sounds interesting, I still have to watch at some point The Downfall, that's supposed to be a really good film.

I will watch Queen one of these days when it's on cable, Helen Mirren is great in anything, she is also one of the sexiest ladies ever on screen, she oozes it, although I kind of hope that is not the case in this one:o

The Long Good Friday was on last month and I saw some of it, now that is one of the great films of the last 30 years that is not ever talked about, her and Bob Hoskins just fucking own the screen, what a great movie.
    well there's that whole 'opposite attract' deal, so perhaps that was the thing with them. the way i see it, they were so seemingly incompatible, yet still had this magnetism towards each other that nothing could stop.

his character was a little weird so i could see how that'd be irritating....you might watch it again and hate it even more, who knows lol

what is the downfall about?

yeah i really like mirren, she isn't one of these chicks that recoil into some nonsexual being after hitting a certain age...she's still rockin it! and no, no sexiness oozing in the queen...ew lol

i've never seen the long good friday, what is that one about?
  • Options
    well there's that whole 'opposite attract' deal, so perhaps that was the thing with them. the way i see it, they were so seemingly incompatible, yet still had this magnetism towards each other that nothing could stop.

his character was a little weird so i could see how that'd be irritating....you might watch it again and hate it even more, who knows lol

what is the downfall about?

yeah i really like mirren, she isn't one of these chicks that recoil into some nonsexual being after hitting a certain age...she's still rockin it! and no, no sexiness oozing in the queen...ew lol

i've never seen the long good friday, what is that one about?

The Long Good Friday is the best mobster film ever made, not in America.

It also has one of the best endings of any movie.

Downfall is about Hitler and his last days.

Opposites attract yes, but shouldn't one find something redeeming in that opposite in order to be attracted to them? I will watch it again, but tell me why Kate would find anything about Jim to be interesting in the first place?

Oh and again the movie looked good, I liked the concept, I just did not buy it.

Jason
  • Options
    JDE-PJ wrote:
    The Long Good Friday is the best mobster film ever made, not in America.

It also has one of the best endings of any movie.

Downfall is about Hitler and his last days.

Opposites attract yes, but shouldn't one find something redeeming in that opposite in order to be attracted to them? I will watch it again, but tell me why Kate would find anything about Jim to be interesting in the first place?

Oh and again the movie looked good, I liked the concept, I just did not buy it.
    ah cool, i'll have to add it to my netflix queue :)

it was interesting to get a glimpse of the final days via his secretary's account. gave it a human perspective amidst all the lack of humanity

that's a good question as to why she found jim's character interesting. she might have been drunk, i remember her character putting 'em away quite a bit lol he just seemed really shy to me

the concept is definitely strong, i really loved the visuals in it, complimented the storyline
  • Options
    ah cool, i'll have to add it to my netflix queue :)

it was interesting to get a glimpse of the final days via his secretary's account. gave it a human perspective amidst all the lack of humanity

that's a good question as to why she found jim's character interesting. she might have been drunk, i remember her character putting 'em away quite a bit lol he just seemed really shy to me

the concept is definitely strong, i really loved the visuals in it, complimented the storyline

you would like science of sleep, it's right up your alley.

so if you're drunk in a film, it allows for the other character to be an uninteresting bore, and yet still make that connection that he is just swell, okay I marked that down in my movie writing notebook for acceptable behaviour between two leads.:p

who knows when I see it again, I might think it's the greatest love story ever on film, but I think I might just like some others a wee bit more, just maybe;)

Jason