My car has cancer!

mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
Fuckin' thing!

First my brakes start to go to shit, then my alignment is fucked, then out of nowhere it begins to stall (during idle), then my key breaks off in the lock...
This has all happened over the last two weeks or so. Haven't had the time or money to fix it...
I take the shuttle from the airport to my car today so I can go home and relax. Put the window down and BAM, it won't go back up.

Fuck me! So I took it in tonight to have the window fixed (all I have money for right now) and the guy tells me it's going to be a minimum of $100 just to dismantle the door. Are you fuckin' kidding me?!?! I should have taken the damn door apart before I got there.

It's spreading and it seems to be getting worse!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• this car wouldn't be a volkswagon would it...??
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    this car wouldn't be a volkswagon would it...??

Ha, no it's a Nissan Sentra.

Granted it's getting old. It's a '97 and hasn't cost me a dime for the many years I've had it, but now it's just getting crazy!
  • ahh... :)

unfortunately cars aren't really made to last very long anymore
    so 11 years is getting up there...!!

we have a 01 passat... let's just say it's had issues.

!!!!
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
  • Go with a Toyota next time. My Camry be rockin.
    "It's all happening"

i agree (but i'm kinda loyal to honda too)

i have a passat now and i loooooove my car :)
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
  • i agree (but i'm kinda loyal to honda too)

i have a passat now and i loooooove my car :)

A lot of people give me shit about driving non-american cars. But the Toyota Camry plant, is only an hour away from my home. So I support my own state
    "It's all happening"
  • MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,672
    A lot of people give me shit about driving non-american cars. But the Toyota Camry plant, is only an hour away from my home. So I support my own state

I'm sure more people would buy american cars if they were any good.
    And as you said, Toyota (also BMW) have huge plants in the US.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,949
    I thought you meant the salt-on-the-roads rust cancer.....but not in Scottsdale, huh?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • I thought all they drove in Scottsdale was Benz's and Beamers???
    "It's all happening"
  • suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
    mca47 wrote:
    Fuckin' thing!

First my brakes start to go to shit, then my alignment is fucked, then out of nowhere it begins to stall (during idle), then my key breaks off in the lock...
    This has all happened over the last two weeks or so. Haven't had the time or money to fix it...
    I take the shuttle from the airport to my car today so I can go home and relax. Put the window down and BAM, it won't go back up.

Fuck me! So I took it in tonight to have the window fixed (all I have money for right now) and the guy tells me it's going to be a minimum of $100 just to dismantle the door. Are you fuckin' kidding me?!?! I should have taken the damn door apart before I got there.

It's spreading and it seems to be getting worse!

one thing for sure, buy a new car. :D
    scratching my butt...
    kinakamot ang aking puwit...
    me rascando pompis...
    krap mijn reet...
    boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
    bahrosh teezy...
  • samicksamick Posts: 373
    MrBrian wrote:
    I'm sure more people would buy american cars if they were any good.
    And as you said, Toyota (also BMW) have huge plants in the US.

It doesn't matter........I've had two chevys that have had 200,000+ miles on them before i drove them to to the junk yard.........and the only things i've replced on them are parts that just wear out..........And i've seen foreign models that have given out well before that........
    I thought all they drove in Scottsdale was Benz's and Beamers???

LOL! Sadly it's mostly true. I'm definitely the hobo of Scottsdale! :D Hell, even most of the "help" has better cars/trucks than I do and I have a good job in of all things...cancer research. Just not "car" cancer research. :D
    That's ok, because I love my car and we will make it through it's cancer. It's a fighter! It will cost a lot, it will have to go through a lot of changes but we'll make it. The insurance doesn't cover it so it will be tough, but we'll make it!!

Ok, enough crap.
    I've had it since late '99 and I think gas (obviously), oil, and tires have been the only money I've put into it.

Oh well...we've had some good times! :)
    samick wrote:
    It doesn't matter........I've had two chevys that have had 200,000+ miles on them before i drove them to to the junk yard.........and the only things i've replced on them are parts that just wear out..........And i've seen foreign models that have given out well before that........

Well, I have a friend who has the exact same car ('97 Sentra) and she's got 180,000 on hers. She's only replaced the typical...belts, oil, tires, and brake pads.

Any car will last well past 100,000 if you take care of it. It makes NO difference if it's American or "Foreign". 5-10 years ago I'd say "foreign" all the way, but for the most part the "American" auto industry (outside of their terrible marketing predictions, design, and other things) have built some decent cars.
    There is a good chance Detroit will go under for the simple fact that they have been beat to the punch. While consistently producing the typical American gas guzzling monster truck, the Japs were creating hybrids and efficient models.
    Annnnnnnnyways....like I said before, if you treat your car well it will treat you well too.
    mca47 wrote:
    Well, I have a friend who has the exact same car ('97 Sentra) and she's got 180,000 on hers. She's only replaced the typical...belts, oil, tires, and brake pads.

Any car will last well past 100,000 if you take care of it. It makes NO difference if it's American or "Foreign". 5-10 years ago I'd say "foreign" all the way, but for the most part the "American" auto industry (outside of their terrible marketing predictions, design, and other things) have built some decent cars.
    There is a good chance Detroit will go under for the simple fact that they have been beat to the punch. While consistently producing the typical American gas guzzling monster truck, the Japs were creating hybrids and efficient models.
    Annnnnnnnyways....like I said before, if you treat your car well it will treat you well too.

Exactly..............
  • MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,672
    fine, but they still all handle like shit :D
    MrBrian wrote:
    fine, but they still all handle like shit :D

I'm sure corvette owners would beg to differ......:D

Up until about 6 months ago I had an 89 Camry that I had for 8.5 years. Other than the last year that car was awesome. Just couldn't afford to keep fixing it. I now have a 2000 Camry I got w/ 38,000 miles on it. Belonged to some 91 yr old man who passed away. Here's to another 8 years! At least I hope! :D
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • samick wrote:
    I'm sure corvette owners would beg to differ......:D

Not that this thread is about car handling, but Corvettes are not known for their handling. They're fast though.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, Los Angeles 5/21/24, [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
    Not that this thread is about car handling, but Corvettes are not known for their handling. They're fast though.

This is true.

Anyways, I got my car back today and I will be paying this shit off for a while.

Broken window bracket-thing + new brake pads + brake fluid flush + 4 wheel alignment + new lock with keys = $979!!

Fuck me!

I wish I knew what the hell I was doing and had the time because the parts for everything cost next to nothing!! Labor was a bitch!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    how's the car doing? is it still on the road? we need updates man, updates. :P

ps, brakes are super easy. i'd rather do 8 sets of brakes than one ignition swap. gotta pull the damn steering wheel to do those..
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i am pleased i am not the only one out there. i've never had a car that didn't have cancer.
    sure sometimes they go far before fucking up, other times, not so far. today it will not start, motor turns over, that is all it will do.

so far today i have not been swimming. by now i would have swam a mile or two. son of a bitch i am fucked and quite pissy. haven't swam since last friday afternoon. i need to swim.

having electric windows is nuts. the drivers door is the only one that goes up/down with a switch. the others are all shot and go down when pushed or pulled up with one's hands. neon pink duct tape holds 3 windows in place.

the reason it is fucking up on me is that i got a new tire for it the other day. i knew this was going to happen, and it did exactly that.

i live out in the country and will be fucked for awhile. no swimming, no food here in a bit... i'll have to get rides from different friends. my knees can't handle walking all the miles to town. PISS ME OFF BIG TIME
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    i am pleased i am not the only one out there. i've never had a car that didn't have cancer.
    sure sometimes they go far before fucking up, other times, not so far. today it will not start, motor turns over, that is all it will do.

so far today i have not been swimming. by now i would have swam a mile or two. son of a bitch i am fucked and quite pissy. haven't swam since last friday afternoon. i need to swim.

having electric windows is nuts. the drivers door is the only one that goes up/down with a switch. the others are all shot and go down when pushed or pulled up with one's hands. neon pink duct tape holds 3 windows in place.

the reason it is fucking up on me is that i got a new tire for it the other day. i knew this was going to happen, and it did exactly that.

i live out in the country and will be fucked for awhile. no swimming, no food here in a bit... i'll have to get rides from different friends. my knees can't handle walking all the miles to town. PISS ME OFF BIG TIME

you got gas in the tank?

i'm going to guess fuel pump, unless you have a check engine light on.
    purely a guess with no basis in any sort of facts about the situation. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

you got gas in the tank?

i'm going to guess fuel pump, unless you have a check engine light on.
    purely a guess with no basis in any sort of facts about the situation. :lol:
    1/2 a tank of gas
    check engine light's been on for 3 or 4 years

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,385
    chadwick wrote:
    1/2 a tank of gas

Did you consider checking the engine? ;)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    The 81 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

I can relate to that :D
    The 81 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

well it has
    i dunno how to turn it off
    engine has coolant and maybe some oil

haha.... i checked the oil
    it's @ the add 1/2 a quart mark
    im good to go
    except it won't start and my friends are slow as shit getting out to me

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    The 81 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

well it has
    i dunno how to turn it off
    engine has coolant and maybe some oil

haha.... i checked the oil
    it's @ the add 1/2 a quart mark
    im good to go
    except it won't start and my friends are slow as shit getting out to me

fyi, you can take your car (when running of course) to just about any autozone or car parts store and they will pull the codes for you for free.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    fyi, you can take your car (when running of course) to just about any autozone or car parts store and they will pull the codes for you for free.
    what will that do for me?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    The 81 wrote:
    what will that do for me?

it'll give a good idea as to why your check engine light is on. :lol:

just guessing, if it's been running "fine" for the last servearl years with it on, i'd guess it's an O2 sensor which helps control the air/fuel mixture. just purely guessing of course.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg