Ever Caught a Foul Ball/Home Run?

mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I've been to probably 300-400 Professional baseball games in my day and have NEVER caught a foul ball or homerun! I've had a couple land in my area but nothing within reach.

I know there has to be some on here who've been lucky enough to snag one. Let's hear your stories!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    1 Foul Ball
    1 Home run
    and 1 Puck

Actually the puck hit me in my head, and knocked my glasses off. The puck went flying 2 rows away, but they passed it back to me because I was a crying 6 year old.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I caught a football at an Arena League Game!

Came close to a few foul balls, but never got one!

I caught a foul fish at a Bassmasters competition!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    1 Foul Ball
    1 Home run
    and 1 Puck

Actually the puck hit me in my head, and knocked my glasses off. The puck went flying 2 rows away, but they passed it back to me because I was a crying 6 year old.

Hahahaha!
    Damn!
    Getting whacked with a puck from an errant slapshot has gotta hurt like a mofo!
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,427
    i caught a home run at wrigley back in 97.......

and won...

4 free cub tickets
    an autograph baseball
    and 2 round-trip airline tickets to where ever i wanted to fly in the U.S.A...

i flew to los angeles to see the rolling stones....

cool....huh????
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    i caught a home run at wrigley back in 97.......

and won...

4 free cub tickets
    an autograph baseball
    and 2 round-trip airline tickets to where ever i wanted to fly in the U.S.A...

i flew to los angeles to see the rolling stones....

cool....huh????

So you won that because you caught the ball? Or was it just something else they were giving away at the game?
    mca47 wrote:
    So you won that because you caught the ball? Or was it just something else they were giving away at the game?
    just because i caught the ball........

pretty fucking cool huh????
  • why did you win? did they guy want the ball back or something?

caught a few batting practice HRs, and my buddy has caught a foul ball. but i never have. the 2 BP balls and the foul my friend caught we gave to a kid that was near us, and i tell you we made his year.

ozzie guillen tossed me a ball after he was done playing catch with joey cora when i was a youngin. that ball i still have and have many "no name" autographs one it. but i do have ozzie guillen and harold baines on that ball to...so that should help the value tad.
    www.myspace.com/pitheory
  • the best catch ive ever seen by a fan was that dude who on monday nite football during a bears game, leaped over the railing to catch a kevin butler FG that had gone over the net. that was honestly one of the best catches ive ever seen-- by fan or athelte.
    www.myspace.com/pitheory
    why did you win? did they guy want the ball back or something?

caught a few batting practice HRs, and my buddy has caught a foul ball. but i never have. the 2 BP balls and the foul my friend caught we gave to a kid that was near us, and i tell you we made his year.

ozzie guillen tossed me a ball after he was done playing catch with joey cora when i was a youngin. that ball i still have and have many "no name" autographs one it. but i do have ozzie guillen and harold baines on that ball to...so that should help the value tad.
    well.....

back when they started that how far did it fly contest sponsored by southwest airlines......

that is what they would give to the person who caught the 1st homerun ball hit by the cubbies at every home game.......
  • boy, if they did that for every homer the cubs had given up, southwest would have been out of business by may 1st ;)
    www.myspace.com/pitheory
  • 1996 ALCS. Yankees vs. Orioles, I was in the RF bleachers when Brady Anderson hit a HR. The ball was literally hit right at me. If nobody moved I would have been able to just stick my hand out and catch it. Of course everybody goes for the ball and you can clearly see me stand up, get ready to catch it, then get toppled. Word is noone touched the ball, and it bounced right off my seat.
    boy, if they did that for every homer the cubs had given up, southwest would have been out of business by may 1st ;)
    its a pretty funny story too.....

i was on my second ever date with this girl.......and i must have had 1,254 vodka/lemonades out in the bleachers.......

i knocked my dates friend(female) right on her ass to get the ball....hehehehehehehehe

then i ended up taking another friend of mine to california to see the stones......

the girl i was on the date with............
    has now been living with me for 7 years.....and i still get shit from her for not taking her to california to see the stones....hehehehe

how was i to know???? it was just our second date......
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    the best catch ive ever seen by a fan was that dude who on monday nite football during a bears game, leaped over the railing to catch a kevin butler FG that had gone over the net. that was honestly one of the best catches ive ever seen-- by fan or athelte.

I REALLY want to see that on youtube.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    foul ball at a Reading Phillies game
    2 pucks from Flyers games
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • NoCode_inMTNoCode_inMT Posts: 551
    the best catch ive ever seen by a fan was that dude who on monday nite football during a bears game, leaped over the railing to catch a kevin butler FG that had gone over the net. that was honestly one of the best catches ive ever seen-- by fan or athelte.

That won an ESPY that year.

I grew up in the Aberdeen, MD area. Went to about 100 O's games from 82-86. Dad's company had seats 3 rows behind the O's dugout. Dad caught multiple foul balls.
    1998-6/20, 6/21
    2003-6/1, 10/25
    2005-8/29, 9/4
    2006-7/2, 7/22, 7/23
    2008-4/15(EV solo)
    2009-9/21, 9/22, 9/28
    2011-9/3, 9/4
    2012-9/30
    2013-7/19, 11/30
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Yes, June 1st 1994, Mets - Rockies at shea stadium.

I was sitting in the left field picnic area seats, and Charlie Hayes (then of Colorado) blasted a homer right at me. I barehanded that bitch.

One of the highlights of my life (pathetically enough)
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    1996 ALCS. Yankees vs. Orioles, I was in the RF bleachers when Brady Anderson hit a HR. The ball was literally hit right at me. If nobody moved I would have been able to just stick my hand out and catch it. Of course everybody goes for the ball and you can clearly see me stand up, get ready to catch it, then get toppled. Word is noone touched the ball, and it bounced right off my seat.

Say hi to Jeffrey Maier.

Never caught one but at Dodger Stadium one time a foul ball went straight back, first base side and missed the net and hit a guy right in the head. The ball made it up to the upper deck I'd say about 75 feet. The paramedics took him away and within 15 minutes he was back at his seat with an ice bag. After a lot of yelling, the guy who had the ball gave it to him. I thought for sure the guy was dead or at least unconscious.
  • Flannel ShirtFlannel Shirt Posts: 1,021
    nothing of importance. I had a AA ball team (Pittsfield Cubs) in my hometown when I was a kid, and I caught a ton of foul balls (seriously, probably 50), but it doesnt really count.

I had a home run hit to me in centerfield in NY (sox vs. yanks) by Troy O Leary and some kid jumped literally in front of me and caught it. That was the closest I ever came to getting a foul ball/home run.
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • NoCode_inMTNoCode_inMT Posts: 551
    cutback wrote:
    Say hi to Jeffrey Maier.

Please don't bring up him. As a life long O's fan, still pissed. :(

And the O's have never been the same...
    1998-6/20, 6/21
    2003-6/1, 10/25
    2005-8/29, 9/4
    2006-7/2, 7/22, 7/23
    2008-4/15(EV solo)
    2009-9/21, 9/22, 9/28
    2011-9/3, 9/4
    2012-9/30
    2013-7/19, 11/30
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Yep, got a foul ball at a Mariners game about 10 years ago.

Yeah, that was an insane catch! I'm not sure how that guy was able to drop down that far, catch the ball, land and not break a leg/ankle. That was a hell of a catch!!
    A couple funny stories that I've experienced while at games...

- At Wrigley about 7 years ago or so...it was like the 5th inning and this big fat dude was walking down to his seat. This was at the time where you could literally buy as many beers as you could carry. This guy had like 5 beers, a couple hot dogs, and some nachos with cheese. So he's sloooowly going down to his seat on the 1st base side when "crack!" A ball fouls off the bat hard, comes flying and hits this guy in the head! LOL! He drops everything and rolls down the steps! Oh my god, it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. People were just dying laughing as this guy gets up covered in beer and cheese. It actually made Sportscenter that night! :D

I've seen some people get smoked by foul balls but this one was out of the hand of Cliff Floyd (Marlins at the time).

- At Wrigley about 5-6 years ago I was in the bleachers with some friends. These guys in front of us (2nd row) were talking so much shit to Cliff Floyd the entire game. It wasn't stupid "hey, you suck!" it was actually quite clever and funny. So, after 8 innings of constant rousing from these bleacher bums...a pissed off Floyd, who I think struck out 3 times so far, makes the final out. He takes two steps toward the infield turns around and chucks the ball at these guys. He really reached back too because it was really moving!! He misses these guys badly and it smokes some young girl really hard on her side.
    I felt bad for her but it was pretty funny nonetheless. Floyd ended up hitting the game winning home run the next inning! Haha!

- At Comisky (US Cellular Field). There was a foul up and back. For those of you that don't know...Comisky's upper deck is extremely steep!!! 5 or 6 guys go for it, they all lose their balance and literally roll halfway down the upper deck. LMAO!!!! Funny shit!
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    Bo Jackson tossed me a ball during batting practice before a game..........if that counts. Oh, my brother did catch a homerun ball at a Rangers game. That was a pretty exciting moment for him, lol
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Closest I ever came was a few years ago when I took my mom to an Indians game. Our seats were about 3 rows up in right field. Mom had to go to the bathroom, so we waited until the visiting team was up, but mom takes her time and the inning ended. Jim Thome was up as we were walking back to our seats. We were about 5 rows away and I stood there and watched the guy in the row behind me reach over my empty seat and catch the ball that would have come right to me if I'd been there.

Yes, I still give Mom a hard time about this.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • 2 foul balls, 1 home run. all 3 with no glove, my hands stung for the rest of the night.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Sox vs. Yankees at Fenway - I got to the game early and was sitting in the bleachers while the Yanks were taking batting practice. Giambi hits one over the bullpen and it lands about four rows in front of me. I run down the stairs, sprint towards the ball, and dive on top of it then get up and throw my arms into the air like I just won the Boston Marathon. As I am brushing the dirt out of the scrapes all over my arms, I look around and realize that there is no one within 25 yards of me. I had time to walk over to the ball, look at it, leave it on the ground, get a hot dog, go back, and I still would have gotten it.

Another time I got into Fenway as soon as the gates opened. I made my way down to the dugout to watch BP and I noticed a ball just sitting on the ground so I'm not sure if that counts.

August 14, 2004 Sox vs. Bluejays - Johnny Damon hits a home run in the first at bat of the game. It slices around Pesky's Pole, lands about ten rows in front of me and bounces up into the walkway. I was in the first row in front of the walkway so I scramble over and snag it. I didn't realize it but in the mad rush to get the ball, I dove into the wheel chair section. The usher was not to happy about this so he came over and started screaming at me. So my shinning moment on the jumbotron because some power hungry douchebag was trying to be a tough guy. After the game I saw Damon and he signed the ball so it made my night even better!
    "Don't lose your inner heat...ever" - EV 5/13/06
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    At Old Country Stadium in Milwaukee I got a ball that Cal Ripken Jr. hit into that stands during batting practice.
  • oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    at a washington senators game (back in the fuckin day!) i was handed a foul ball by a kind person. six years later i caught a broken leg playing football!! :D
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • I got two. One at Shea Stadium in September 1991 and one at Yankee Stadium August 1993..
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    never have

:(