Options

Is there a rift between the band and Stone Gossard???

The Long RoadThe Long Road Posts: 183
edited June 2008 in The Porch
At MSG 2, he didn't look like the same old Stone to me. Eddie always introduced Stone last (even after Boon) every time he introduced the band. The last introduction eddie actually introduced a fan in the crowd holding a "this is my 1st msg show" sign, before waiting a minute to finally say, "Stone Gossard on guitar...". There was a reaction from Stone at that point...he gave a look like (oh my god..did ed forget to introduce me???) Stones relief was actually seen again when Ed finally did.
On stage, Stone didn"t look like his same old self either. Except for a few jam session circles with Mike and Jeff, he seemed very disconnected. When he stood alone and played, he was motionless and unanimated...like he wasn't into it. I know these guys are getting up there in age and I know some shows might be more exciting than others in their long career, but THIS WAS MSG 2!!! Show me you are getting into it Stone!
Has anyone else been noticing this? I've only been to the MSG2 show and don't know if he's been doing the same at the previous shows...does anyone know? I know the rest of the guys were really into it...what about you Stone?
"All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives"--Ed
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Wasn't there a thread on here earlier about how animated Stone was at the MSG shows?

Were you people watching the same concert?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Stone looks the same as he always does to me
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    i found it more interesting that he didnt talk AT ALL on the latest DVD... im sure in both cases were looking into it too much... but there was some nice candids with the other guys (mike signing, jeff skating, even boom playing organ in the church) and it was very stoneless :(

when it comes to on stage and writing im sure stone will always be #1 in this band though
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Wasn't there a thread on here earlier about how animated Stone was at the MSG shows?

Were you people watching the same concert?

Animated?...rarely. As animated as he used to be?...far from it.
  • Options
    Stone looks the same as he always does to me

Except he has shaggy hair and a beard now.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    At MSG 2, he didn't look like the same old Stone to me. Eddie always introduced Stone last (even after Boon) every time he introduced the band. The last introduction eddie actually introduced a fan in the crowd holding a "this is my 1st msg show" sign, before waiting a minute to finally say, "Stone Gossard on guitar...". There was a reaction from Stone at that point...he gave a look like (oh my god..did ed forget to introduce me???) Stones relief was actually seen again when Ed finally did.
    On stage, Stone didn"t look like his same old self either. Except for a few jam session circles with Mike and Jeff, he seemed very disconnected. When he stood alone and played, he was motionless and unanimated...like he wasn't into it. I know these guys are getting up there in age and I know some shows might be more exciting than others in their long career, but THIS WAS MSG 2!!! Show me you are getting into it Stone!
    Has anyone else been noticing this? I've only been to the MSG2 show and don't know if he's been doing the same at the previous shows...does anyone know? I know the rest of the guys were really into it...what about you Stone?
    Ed introduced EVERYONE from the band at Roo and Columbia, but Jeff
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Stone seems to me to have been nothing but a shoegazer for about the last decade.

Jeff gets into it, and Mike runs all over the stage. But stone just kind of stands there.

from what i have seen anyway.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Options
    Animated?...rarely. As animated as he used to be?...far from it.

If by "used to be" you mean 1992, you're probably right.

But for the past 10 years or so, he's been the same stone. Duck walk here, head bob there ... cool and low-key. He's not a "jump around" kind of guy.
  • Options
    Forgot to point out also that there was a technical problem with his guitar tuning for Garden. His assistant tuned the guitar wrong and Stone was visibly upset. He changed guitars mid-song but seemed very distracted and bothered by the situation.
    I don't know...maybe he just had a bad day or something, but he did not seem the same to me.
  • Options
    Rjonesrm20Rjonesrm20 Posts: 380
    As Ed said before....if there are any problems within the band its Stone's fault....HA!.....watch Single Video Theory!

end thread!
    1998: Indy 2000: Indy, Cincy 2003: Lexington (m.e.o.), Cincy (cancelled),Indy 2004: Toledo 2005: Atlantic City 2 2006: Cleveland, Cincy 2008: Los Angeles1 (EV solo)-front row center!West Palm Beach-2nd row!, Tampa, Chicago 1&2-(EV solo) 2009: Nashville 1&2(EV solo) Memphis(EV solo) Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    THIS WAS MSG 2!!! Show me you are getting into it Stone!

with all due respect, Stone dont have to show you SHIT ! i mean really.

maybe he was sick, maybe he was just having an off night. just because he is on a stage playing music dont mean its not a job to them sometimes. and like all of us, sometimes we just have a bit of trouble "getting into" our jobs.
    or maybe, you are reading way too much into this.
    as big as these shows are to all of the fans that go to them, maybe you were just expecting too much.
    im pretty sure at this point in the game going to MSG to see PJ is a way bigger deal for the fans, than it is for PJ to be playing MSG.

short answer, No. i dont think there is a "rift" between Stone and the band.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    Forgot to point out also that there was a technical problem with his guitar tuning for Garden. His assistant tuned the guitar wrong and Stone was visibly upset. He changed guitars mid-song but seemed very distracted and bothered by the situation.
    I don't know...maybe he just had a bad day or something, but he did not seem the same to me.
    or maybe its because he pays that fucker to do something as simple as tune a guitar and he cant even get that right... id be pissed too!

if you need a new guitar tech stoney, im your guy! :D

• Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=291024&highlight=stone+dancing

Yea Ed introduced Stone last, Ed also said that he gets mic happy and forgets to mention Jeff and Stone who are the reason pj exists

but I do have a pic of stone following ed on stage, kind of cute they are both playing in front of the drums
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    Stone was very animated during the MSG shows. but yeah, there is no reason for Eddie to introduce Boom before the fucking founder of the band.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    LukinFan wrote:
    Ed introduced EVERYONE from the band at Roo and Columbia, but Jeff
    Hmmm... perhaps there's a rift between Stone and Jeff... and Ed's punishing them both :cool: :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    the wolf wrote:
    with all due respect, Stone dont have to show you SHIT ! i mean really.

maybe he was sick, maybe he was just having an off night. just because he is on a stage playing music dont mean its not a job to them sometimes. and like all of us, sometimes we just have a bit of trouble "getting into" our jobs.
    or maybe, you are reading way too much into this.
    as big as these shows are to all of the fans that go to them, maybe you were just expecting too much.
    im pretty sure at this point in the game going to MSG to see PJ is a way bigger deal for the fans, than it is for PJ to be playing MSG.

short answer, No. i dont think there is a "rift" between Stone and the band.

Well obviously you are not from NY so you wouldn't understand. If I were a famous musician, I would circle MSG on my calender when the tour was 1st announced. Just like famous baseball players circle their calanders when they get to play Yankee Stadium. I have read articles about Lebron James circling the dates he's playing the Knicks because he thinks MSG is the "mecca" of basketball. Michael Jordan has written books on this topic. Need I say more? And with all due respect, $85.00 to watch a mop with a guitar at the mecca of venues is not what I expected. And if he needed maxi-pads, there were plenty of Duane Reade drug stores in Midtown!
  • Options
    BrezBrez Posts: 570
    I've never seen in person or on video Stone being as animated as he was at D.C. I went to MSG I and he seemed pretty into into it then too.

I didn't see MSG II but it sounds like your looking into it too much. I personally always thought getting introduced last was kind of an honor. Like a best for last thing. Might be just me though.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Options
    Just like famous baseball players circle their calanders when they get to play Yankee Stadium.
    i think you must mean wrigley field

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    i think you must mean wrigley field

there isn't an outfielder alive who looks forward to playing at Wrigley field
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

The only HUMANS alive that would LIKE to play outfield at Wrigley field are the members of Jackass the Movie.
  • Options
    hehe... i cant imagine the ivy pads the brick wall very well when youre slam into it chasing a fly ball... and then ya gotta worry about losing the ball in there... its our best ally :D

definitely a fun, historic atmosphere though for any ball player

• Options
    Uncle NeilUncle Neil Posts: 176
    Well obviously you are not from NY so you wouldn't understand. If I were a famous musician, I would circle MSG on my calender when the tour was 1st announced. Just like famous baseball players circle their calanders when they get to play Yankee Stadium. I have read articles about Lebron James circling the dates he's playing the Knicks because he thinks MSG is the "mecca" of basketball. Michael Jordan has written books on this topic. Need I say more? And with all due respect, $85.00 to watch a mop with a guitar at the mecca of venues is not what I expected. And if he needed maxi-pads, there were plenty of Duane Reade drug stores in Midtown!

Right...all hail New York.
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:

definitely a fun, historic atmosphere though for any ball player

I agree with that. but you can't compare it to Yankee Stadium. I hate the Yanks but you have to show the proper respect.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Uncle Neil wrote:
    Right...all hail New York.

No. Just "all hail the lucky ones" who get to play New York. No pun intended!
  • Options
    I agree with that. but you can't compare it to Yankee Stadium. I hate the Yanks but you have to show the proper respect.
    i do? granted i didnt grow up with mickey mantle and the old yankees lengends but i really dont care... throughout my entire life the yankees have been the same arrogant, wealthy team trying to monopolize all the best players in the game and still not having consistent success because they lack any chemistry... even my favorite baseball players from past decades dont include yankees... just not my thing... not a great park IMO either

• Options
    IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 667
    I pratically set on Stone's lap during the MSG2, side of the stage just behind Stone(AMAZING SEAT). I was actually blown away by how much interaction Eddie and Stone have during the show and there were a few times when Stone just acted like a litte kid in the world's biggest candy store, it was great! MSG2 was a Stone show and he loved it! I can't prove it, but the band seemed to me to be tighter and more in love with each other than ever before. Oh and if you haven't noticed Stone and Jeff really don't like the limelight as much as Mike!
    Thank you Pearl Jam for 2 of the best shows I will ever see, I still have shiver bumps, and no voice even 2 days later.
    Thank you New York, for everything. Cool ass people!
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    boom is bigger

Stone was very animated during the MSG shows. but yeah, there is no reason for Eddie to introduce Boom before the fucking founder of the band.
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    There can't be a rift between Stone and the band.. Stone IS the band!!! Stone looked like he was really enjoying himself at MSG, especially at night 2. During Black Diamond he was running around almost like Mike does!

EDIT: And about the introductions, you always introduce the most important people last. It goes in reverse order of importance. So it should be something like Matt, Boom, Mike, Jeff, and Stone. Matt and Boom are close so they could be interchanged.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    It's Stone Gossard! What do you want to the duck walk?
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    can't speak for MSG shows but Stone was definitely into Camden I - I wason his side for that show and he seemed to be grooving that night. Lots of duck walk and moving around for Stone.